• Published 28th May 2014
  • 959 Views, 3 Comments

The Devil in Me - Sleep Sonata



Mine is not the lesser light. I am not subordinate, and I am not her sister.

  • ...
6
 3
 959

Best Laid Plans

Responsibility can seem like an intimidating prospect. Knowing that any shortcomings in execution can have major repercussions, all of which fall squarely on your shoulders, is certainly a frightening thought. But the rewards can make those risks seem petty. Imagine the expression on my sister’s face we she sees the Crystal Empire return to it’s proper place, and through my own efforts!

Or the citizenry. The joys I will see in Celestia will be nothing compared to their enthusiasm! They will be able to see all of the cultural heritage in the empire, and be able to taste those sweet crystal berries once more. Maybe there will be a holiday to remember the day. Ponies will attend masquerade balls, giving sweets to the children so that they will always remember what was almost lost forever. All I had to do was make sure the search was successful, and with the ponies working the day, and my thestrals the night, it would take no time at all.

I sat in the throne room beside my sister, listening to the minister of commerce brief us on the economic effects of the empire’s disappearance. The empire had vanished not three days ago, and already thirty percent of merchants lost their income, and that was in Canterlot alone. I could have only guessed what the figure was in other cities.

“Thank you, Minister. We will use what you’ve told us to our utmost ability.” The minister bowed to my sister and I, and left the throne room, along with the rest of those present. His was the last briefing of the day, although it was far from the most cheerful.

General Firefly had informed that the empire had taken roughly two thousand stallions from the army, which meant we would need to divert yet more guards from the southern border to the new frontier, making our line against the changelings that much weaker.

What’s more, we discovered that Sombra had not only taken the Crystal Empire, but it’s most valuable artifact, the crystal heart. The heart had been used in conjunction with the elements of harmony in maintaining Equestria’s balance of magic. Now that it was gone, we needed to find a new way complement the elements, and keep Equestria’s magic stable.

Celestia let out a heavy sigh. Maintaining her composure in these times must have been exhausting. “What news do you have of the search, Luna? I hope it is nothing too distressing.”

“We are sweeping the frontier from east to west, but I have not received any notable reports thus far. Once the frontier is search, we will begin to push north into the tundra.” Her reaction was that of indifference, which I could understand. As long as she didn’t hear anything devastating, she could still rule. “Tia, you've been able to maintain order is Equestria so far. There is no need to worry yourself to the point of exhaustion.”

“Thank you Luna, but I’m more worried about the crystal ponies. Just the fact that we don’t know where they are is the most unsettling part.” She stared out through one of the window frames. The ones that did not have stained glass were left bare, and one could see a good distance off into Equestria. Now, we could see the pegasi moving the show clouds above Canterlot.

“Why don’t you rest, Tia. Winter is coming, which means the nights will be longer, and I’ll be able to take on more duties. You deserve to sleep.” She didn’t speak, but I knew she’d heard me. I saw her move off to her chambers, leaving me alone in the throne room.

She didn’t seem as curious for details as I would have thought. The better for me, since she never wanted to use my thestrals to begin with. In her state, it’s probably best that she didn't.

I felt then that I should relax myself as well. I still had to prepare the stars and touch up fog in certain areas, but I could afford to take a bath before hand. It’s not like anypony would be waiting on me to start the night.

The bath would take a while to draw, so I decided to ready my mane before I got in. I didn't quite feel like drying it before I raise the moon. I looked in the mirror, towel at the ready, but I could not get it into the proper fold. I knew what to do, but for whatever reason, I could not manipulate the towel with my magic. I tried with my hooves, but the longer I tried, the less coordinated I became. Eventually, I was forced to hold myself on my sink, barely able to stand.

Luna, you don’t look very well. Lying for that long is exhausting, isn't it?” That voice was familiar, but I could not place it with a face. I saw her in the mirror. The witch I saw in my reflection. “Don’t worry. The fatigue will go away shortly. I had to force my way out to see you.”

“Speak clearly, hag! I am no liar!” MY authority did not seem to intimidate her, as it should have. She seemed rather amused.

We don’t keep secrets, Luna. How can we?

“I do not keep secrets from my sister.”

Oh I’m much more to you than a sister.” I was no less confused. “Besides, is Celestia really your sister? I’d say you’re more like a pet to her.

“Silence!”

She doesn't even consider the thought of you acting on your own. How can she possibly see you as a princess?

“Luna!” I was snapped back to reality by my sister’s voice. I whipped my head to face her at the doorway, and just as quickly looked back the mirror, but the witch was gone. “Luna, the water!”

I felt water on my hooves just then, and saw myself surrounded by a puddle of water. I had let the bath overflow! I frantically turned off the faucet, although I’m not sure now what that was supposed to fix. “What happened? Why did you let the bath overflow?”

“Tia, I was...I saw… she...ahh!” I couldn't use my mind, so my body fled into my chambers, slamming the door as I ran. I could hear Celestia call to me, but I ignored her. I curled up in my bed, cradling my throbbing head in my hooves. What was I seeing? “Cursed witch! LEAVE ME BE!”

Author's Note:

I wrote this a while ago, but apparently I forgot to upload it. Derp :P