• Published 27th May 2014
  • 1,111 Views, 49 Comments

Harmonics, Inc.-- No Volunteers Rejected - Cyanblackstone



When two proud, yet down-on-their-luck ponies volunteer for Harmonics, Inc., they get more than they asked for. Especially when a "routine" exploration mission goes terribly wrong.

  • ...
4
 49
 1,111

Application

Blueblood and Trixie reared back at the same moment, before glaring at each other huffily. “Do you mind?” Blueblood asked disdainfully. “Don’t you know who I am?”

“Don’t you know who I am?” Trixie shot back, not giving an inch.

“Never seen or heard of you before,” the Prince replied disdainfully, waving a hoof. “I don’t watch commoners.”

“Commoners—“ Trixie’s glare could have melted iron. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is no commoner, you elitist aristocrat! The fact you have not heard of her proves that you are exactly the pedant rumor says you are!”

Blueblood turned up his nose. “I can’t be bothered to listen to your drivel.” He began to push past her towards the desk and the receptionist, who had just looked up from her magazine to notice the drama developing in her lobby.

Trixie matched him step for step. “Drivel, indeed; but from whom?”

Blueblood eyed her, decided to ignore her, and continued his march. “Get out of my way.”

Of course, the cerulean mare stepped right in front of him. “No. Trixie shall not until you apologize for your rudeness!”

Forehead to forehead, the two locked gazes, snarling at each other.

The other patrons, waiting on the chairs on the perimeter of the lobby, had noticed the confrontation shaping up, and half watched interestedly while the other half edged towards the doors.

The receptionist saw the patrons leaving, and stepped out from behind her desk. “Can I help you two?”

The two broke their stareoff to glance at her. “I’m here for a job,” both said simultaneously, before both glowering back at the other.

Determinedly, the secretary pressed on. “Administrative, technical, or exploratory?”

Trixie exclaimed, “Nothing but exploratory jobs are suitable for the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Blueblood shouted over her, “Princess Celestia herself has sent me to lead the exploratory section! Nothing less will suffice!”

“Oh, you two were sent by the Princess?” the secretary asked. “I didn’t know she was sending two! We’ll get you right into the process.”

Blueblood backpedaled. “No, she wasn’t sent—just me, not this low-class hooligan!” Trixie kicked him in the shins, cutting off his protestations and smiling smugly as the receptionist rushed around her desk, grabbing various papers.

“I’ll need you two to sign this non-disclosure agreement, and this liability/consent form,” she said, placing two pieces of paper and a pen in front of the two. “Quickly, quickly! If you hurry, we might get you in for the noon session.” She glanced at the clock.

Blueblood began to pore over the NDA, but as he did, he noticed Trixie signing the document, a smirk on her face. “Trixie shall be the senior member here!” she muttered out of the corner of her mouth.

“I don’t think so,” he hissed back, skipping over the rest of the document and signing hastily, before flipping the consent form over and signing that form as well, in tandem with Trixie.

“Done!” they both called, a photo finish if there ever had been one.

One of the other patrons, a flashily-dressed mare with large shades, stiffened, stood, and looked around for a few moments, before shrugging and sitting back down. “I could have svorn...” she muttered in a vaguely Germane accent.

Taking the documents, the secretary beamed widely. “Welcome to the team! I’m Printing Press, the head secretary here at Harmonics, Inc. I’m in charge of most of the administrative details, so you’ll be seeing quite a bit of me.” She glanced at the clock once again. “But I’m afraid there’s no time for chat—follow me!”

She punched a code into the door behind her desk, leading deeper into the building, and held it open. “Head down to the end of the hallway; wait for that door to open.”

The two walked down the wide hallway, matching strides in a poorly-disguised race to the end of the hall that quickly lost all pretense of being civil, with the two sprinting down the surprisingly long hallway neck and neck.

The two stopped, panting heavily, at a large, metal door, marked ‘Infirmary.’

For a few seconds, they recovered their wind and stared at the door. “What now?” Trixie asked.

Blueblood shrugged haughtily. “How should I know? She told the two of us the same information.”

Printing Press’ voice came from behind them. “Terribly sorry about this, but you’ll need to be out for this next part.”

A prick on each new employee’s neck; Trixie’s eyes widened. “What—“

Blueblood tried to whip around “How dare you—“

Neither finished their sentence as the powerful sedative knocked them out cold.

Author's Note:

Short chapter this time. Just setting it up.

--Cyan