• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 4,273 Views, 127 Comments

Fatherhooves - Violise



Another short one shot Featuring Dr.Whooves

  • ...
5
 127
 4,273

New Day Blues

New Day Blues

Celestia's sun is a bright beacon of new beginnings for all of those who lived under it. But to a Blurry-eyed Timelord, it was the worst thing he could have awoken to. The sun leaked a few rays through Dinky's curtains, blinding Dr. Whooves momentarily; forcing him to use a hoof to shield his sight. 'Oh Celestia, I hate mornings...' he swore. It wasn't until a few unsuccessful attempts at movement that he was completely able to move a free a hoof out from under Dinky; who had curled up next to him to keep warm. He looked down at his daughter as he reflected on the night's revelation's. He felt complete. A Colt with purpose and a proper role model for once. He shifted slightly and scooped up Dinky and placed her in bed before exiting the room to start the day.

He drifted off as he traveled down the steps. He remembered a day, so many years ago when he was still a man in London.

Whooves looked out at the cars that passed in the coffee house on a bleary Sunday morning. He looked the cars that passed and watched as the sun made the shadows grow with each waning moment. He grumpily turned his head as he saw his companion come in from behind the door in the front of the shop. She was waving as enthusiastically as she could, even though they were just having coffee. He always thought that she had a bubbly atmosphere about her. Almost like somepony he knew...

As he stepped off the last stair to the first floor, he noticed that Derpy was already up and was in the process of making breakfast. She had a simple white apron and was buried up to her flank in an ice cold oven, in search of what could only be presumed as a muffin fairy of some kind.

"...Derpy, dear?"

Derpy hit her head on the roof of the oven and recoiled.

"Owowowow...Oh, heya hunny muffins. I didn't see you there."

"Were you looking for something?"

"I forgot to ask Golden Harvest how to make the muffins appear in the oven every morning."

Whooves chuckled at her innocent attitude.

"You wanna know something something super secret?" Whooves asked, trying to change the topic.

Derpy nodded her head.

"Dinky called me 'Dad' last night!"

Derpy's expression caught him off guard.

Her face softened, as though she was remembering some sad, scarring event from her past.

"T-that's so wonderful, dear," she responded after a few moments, "I'm glad she feels that way."

"Is something the matter?"

"No! nothing is wrong...Anyway, could you go get the silly filly? She's going to be late for school."

Whooves turned to leave out the kitchen, but asked a quick question before proceeding up the stairs.

"Derpy, will you promise me that you'll tell me the whole story behind whats making you nervous tonight?"

The kitchen was quiet...

"Sure..." Derpy said quietly after what seemed like an eternity.
Satisfied; Whooves climbed the steps.

~~~

Whooves had never been an expert in waking ponies, so when it came to waking Dinky; it was just like traveling through the Everfree for the first time; all over again. He calmly took a few steps and stopped at the side of her bed. He started the best way he could, and said her name a few times as he nudged her. That did nothing; so he then took to tickling her nose. When that didn't work; he went to his last resort. He calmly bent over and pecked the filly on the forehead. Like a magic curse being lifted, the filly awoke with a heartmelting yawn. Whooves looked at the filly as she stretched and got out of bed.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, Papa; and I had this dream that me and Pluto were going to Miss Pinkies for a mountain of muffins and cupcakes!"

Whooves had found Dinkys' enthusiasm overwhelming to his already London-dampened heart; so he did what he thought any dad would do in this kind of moment. Like a hawk sweeping over it's newborn hatchlings, Whooves picked up Dinky and piggy-backed her down the stairs to her awaiting mother; who had miraculously found the muffin mix and had made a fresh batch for the dream induced hunger. The three sat at the table and enjoyed the fresh muffins while they watched the world start to move in preparation for he new day. Derpy took this opportunity to discuss some of Whooves newest 'duties'.

"...I didn't really do much outside of take her to school every day, but I did at least try to introduce myself to the teacher and show up once or twice a week to see how Dinky was doing. Do you think you can handle that?"

Whooves looked at Drepy and smiled at the challenge.

"I would be delighted to do just that, dear."

Derpy returned the smile and took a look up at the clock.

"Well, I'm off to work, so be sure she gets there soon, okay?"

"Alrighty"

Derpy kissed Dinky and Whooves and flew out the window.

This meant that Dinky and Whooves were again coaxed into an impromptu conversation to fill the empty void that hung in the air. Whooves looked idly at his half-eaten muffin, searching for some form of conversation starter.

"Sooo..."Whooves began.

"Sooo....?" Dinky responded.

"H-how is school, Dinky?"

"It's tons of fun." Dinky replied in a rehearsed manner. "I have tons of friends and I haven't gotten in trouble once."

Whooves looked at the filly and frowned. He wasn't really expecting such a practiced response.

"Are you sure there is nothing wrong?" He didn't want to pry, but hay, it's sort of his job now.

Dinky looked into Whooves eyes, as if she was pleading him to keep asking.

"I promise not to tell Mommy..."

That was all it took.

"I don't like school at all...it makes me feel bad."

"How does it make you feel bad?"

"I don't really get along with anypony. They all just look at me and Pluto and start laughing. They say she doesn't exist, and that I need to grow up. And there is this mean Filly who took Mr. Mailcolt and ripped him open."

Dinky picked up the doll in question. He was, for lack of a better term, torn up. The seaming that held together the frame of his back whooves were completely missing, as was the stuffing. The tears in Dinky's eyes said much more. Whooves knew that look. it was the same look he had all those lonely nights; those empty times where all that kept him comforted were an isolated memory that made him strive forward. He looked at Dinky and smiled softly and genuinely.

"Would you like me to come with you to school today? I'll even fix your doll while we're there."

Dinky's face lit up like a firework set off by a Equestria's largest flame. She lept up out of her chair and hugged Whooves' as tightly as she could.

"You'd really do that?! Ohthankyouthankyouthankyou!"

Whooves chuckled warmly, "Anything for my favorite little filly."
Dinky released her grip on him so that he could find his footing. He looked up at the clock. 'I guess now's a good time as any...'

"Alrighty then, Sweetie. Time to go."

Whooves and Dinky were just exiting the house, when Dinky dropped Pluto on the ground. As she reached down to pick her up, Whooves realized a tugging motion on his forehoof...She was holding his hand.'I bet I look just like a normal dad right now...wait, what am I thinking? I AM a normal dad now.' He looked down at the the grinning filly, and then back to the rising orb in the sky. 'I really like mornings, now.'