• Published 26th May 2014
  • 1,279 Views, 106 Comments

Big Sis Scootaloo - Never2muchpinkie



Scootaloo's all grown up. Having completed her journey she takes some time just to be part of her adoptive family and watch her little sister grow.

  • ...
2
 106
 1,279

Chapter 20: The toughest decision of my life

Time passed by. Almost a full two years since Rosie had first gone to school. I was close to graduating and being done with school for good.

I had an issue that had to be worked out, so I headed to my mom’s room.

“Mom, can I talk with you?”

“Of course, Scootaloo,” She responded. “What’s on your mind?”

“I have a big decision to make, and I’d like your advice.”

“I see. Let’s go to my room and you can tell me all about it.”

So the two of us headed to her bedroom. I sat down on the edge of the bed, her sitting next to me. I hesitated, unsure of how to start. Mom waited patiently. Finally I took a deep breath and said, “I had an interesting day at school today.”

“And what made it interesting?”

I faltered again. It was difficult to bring up what I wanted to say because I was so uncertain, both of what I wanted to do and how she would react to my news.

She put one of her legs on me, gently rubbing my back. “Come on, Scootaloo. Don’t clam up. You know you can tell me anything. I’m your mom. You have no reason to be afraid.”

I felt a small smile come to my lips. “Yeah…I know. You’re right. Well, I met someone who gave me an offer." So I began telling the story of how my day went.

**************

It was just after last period, and like always she hung around with some of the other kids for a little while she warmed up to practice with her scooter. There was a blacktop area where the other students played sports. She flapped her wings as she headed towards the school wall and did a small jump, pulling back so she was almost vertical. Taking her hooves off the board she placed them on either side of it, and flapped her wings hard as she ran up the wall. When she reached the top she kicked off with both hooves and did a backflip.

After doing a few spins she twisted so she landed on top of the metal fence that surrounded the blacktop area, skidding across it. When she reached the end she jumped off hard, once more flapping her wings to her utmost, heading towards a tree nearby. Landing on a branch she immediately put one hoof on it and jumped off to another branch on the tree next to it.

With a combination of scooter throwing, front flips, and back flips. she continually went back and forth between each tree until she reached the top, then she jumped backward, back towards the top of the metal cage, skidding in the opposite direction until she was about to hit the wall. She pushed forward at just the right instant, putting her hooves on top of it and doing a hoof stand with the scooter before pushing up hard and doing a spin to get back on the scooter, rushing forward and jumping off to the ground, flapping to reduce the impact.

She heard the thunderous applause and gave a bow. Ponies always got a hit out of her tricks.

When things settled down a little a stallion approached her that she had never seen before. He was a red pegasus with a gray mane and a flaming wheel cutie mark. He looked too old to be at the school. She was pretty sure he wasn’t a teacher. “Hello, there. May I ask your name?”

“I’m Scootaloo,” she responded. “And you are?”

“Name’s Flame Dust. I was watching your performance and I have to say I’m really impressed. That was quite a show.”

Scootaloo nodded her head to him and said, “Thank you. I aim to please.”

“I was just wondering where you train.”

“Oh. Well, everywhere I can, I guess. Near my home, at school, out at the park...”

He let out a laugh. “No, no, no. I mean, what school do you train at? Who was your teacher?”

“Um… no one really. My big sis Rainbow Dash taught me to fly, but besides that everything I’ve done I’ve learned through intuition and trial and error.”

Flame Dust looked amazed. “You’re kidding! That’s hard to believe.”

She turned to the side a little. “Hey, I didn’t get this cutie mark for nothing! A scooter rider was what I was always meant to be.”

“I agree. So are you a senior?”

“That’s right. Why do you ask?”

“So what are your plans after graduation?”

Scootaloo felt a little uncomfortable with the questions because she wasn’t sure why he was asking. “Don’t know. I didn’t put much thought into it. I’ve never left Ponyville before. I guess I’m just going to get a job so I don’t burden my parents and then… I guess I’ll have to see where life takes me after that.”

“Well, that’s no way to live. Listen, I’m in town to visit my cousin. He’s graduating this year too. I don’t know if you’ve heard of them out here, but I’m one of the scouts for an athletic group called the Blazing Wheels.”

“Well, no… I haven’t heard of them. Who are they?”

“They’re a traveling sports group all about scootering. We’re all looking for the best of the best. We’re searching for more members to expand our repertoire of techniques and to put on a more entertaining show.

“Even from the little I’ve seen you clearly show a lot of promise and I’m certain you would get accepted in. Why just stay in Ponyville your whole life? Don’t you want to get out there and explore life? There’s so much you haven’t seen yet. You could be great. All your traveling expenses would be covered by our sponsors, and of course you’d make a percentage of all our profits from each show.

“You could be great, Scootaloo. You could be famous the world over as an amazing scooterist. Someone with your level of talent surely must be looking for some competition.”

Scootaloo looked unsure. “It’s certainly nice of you to offer but, um… well…”

“Ah!” said Flame Dust. “You don’t know if I’m on the up and up? Forgive me.” He went into his saddle bag and pulled out a newspaper. “Well, as a pegasus I’m sure you’ve heard of the Wonderbolts before.”

“Of course. My friend is a member.”

“Then this will be easy. This is an article from our last show in Los Pegasus.”

Scootaloo took the paper. There was a photo of a skate park with all sorts of ramps and ponies in flashy looking outfits. She read the article praising the spectacular spectacle. What really caught her attention right off was the headline. “The Wonderbolts of the scooter world.”

When she handed the paper back he asked, “So, are you convinced?"

“Yes… I believe you are who you say you are but… it’s not just that. There are still issues with my family. I don’t know if I can just leave. I need some time to think it over and discuss it with them.”

“Of course. I understand. I have to head back after the graduation, so that leaves you about a month to make your decision. I hope you make the right one.”

**************

“So that’s what happened.”

“I see,” Mom responded. “And?”

“I think it’s absolutely amazing! This is probably the greatest, most amazing thing that’s ever happened to me. I could finally really be recognized for my scooter ability. I could become famous. I could travel all over Equestria! I could entertain so many people! Maybe I could be an inspiration to hundreds by sharing my story of coming from nothing, and how hard work and believing in myself made me who I am today. I could meet other ponies who share my interest and are hard-core into competition. It’s all so amazing and I want to do it! I want it more than anything!” I let out a sigh as I finished.

“Buuuttt?” Mom said.

“But… there’s reasons I don’t want to do it too! The reason I moved in with you and Dad and Rose Blossom after my grandmare died was because I needed family nearby to care for me and my broken heart. I don’t know if I can leave you behind. It feels selfish to go out into the world when all of you will miss me. Rose, especially, will take it really hard.

"If I’m out in the world I don’t know if I can trust all the ponies around me, and maybe I’ll get taken advantage of without my support group near me to pick me up if I fall. I don’t know if I can trust this group and its members. I don’t know if I can handle it. I know I’ve mostly been going off on my own for years in Ponyville, but this is my hometown. I know it like the back of my hoof, as well as nearly all the ponies here, even if not by name. Everything will be so new and different and I’m kinda scared about it.”

I put my head in my hooves for a little while, taking some deep breaths. I turned to her and said, “What do you think I should do? Should I go for it or not?”

Mom was quiet for a while, just silently meeting my eyes but not saying anything. When she finally spoke she said, “I can’t tell you what to do, Scootaloo. You’re an adult now and you have to make your own decisions. This is a choice that can affect your entire future, and only you can make it.

"A lot of children go out into the world once they grow up, to push past the former boundaries of childhood to see what is out there. Some choose to just stay near to home and get their own place. All I can say is that no matter what happens me and your father will respect your decision whichever way you decide. We’ll support you one hundred percent.

“However, as you pointed out, you have until graduation to decide. This isn’t a decision that can be made in just an afternoon. If you have doubts about the group then study up on them and their members to see if they seem legitimate. You have time to weigh your options and look at the pros and cons of both and see which one wins out. Follow your heart and it won’t steer you wrong.”

I let out a little chuckle. “I guess I should have known you wouldn’t give me the answer. I guess you’re right. I should just take my time for now. I still have over twenty days to decide on a course of action. Thanks, Mom.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Oh! Please don’t tell Rosie about this.”

“I won’t.”

Days went by, and all my thoughts seemed to have gone toward the biggest decision of my life. Whether to go for my dream and leave my family behind, or to stay in Ponyville, and everything would stay the same as it always was. I couldn’t seem to push one way or the other. Every time I started veering towards a decision I seemed to immediately backpedal and return to indecision. I just didn’t know what to do!