• Published 30th May 2014
  • 23,624 Views, 1,010 Comments

The Elder Brother - Yoni



You're a human baby found and adopted by the two most powerful ponies in Equestria. You, together with your little sisters, are going to be the future rulers of Equestria someday. Unless fate decides otherwise

  • ...
75
 1,010
 23,624

Moving on

You sit on your chair in your office, looking intently at the journal before you. You started documenting your thoughts, but no matter how hard you try to clear your head, it was all for naught. There was one thing that was clear, though:

You will die.

It is weird how much these words can effect on a person.

It was currently seven AM. You snuck out of your bed to start your duties early. Why sneaking out of bed? Since Tia discovered that you lived on borrowed time she decided to sleep next to you. Everyday. You tried to reason with her, telling her that you two were starting to get too old for that, but she insisted that you needed the company. Though you are pretty sure she was doing it for her sake more than you. Not that you did not appreciate it.

You twiddle the quill between your fingers before dipping the tip in the inkwell besides you and start to scribble inside the journal:

How many years has it been already? I cannot tell. But the more time passes, the more distant I became from my family and friends. But there is another reason why I kept to myself, something that might be just as disturbing as my demise.

It all started a few weeks after mother revealed the truth to me. I dreamt of a land filled with others like me. Their technology far surpassed that of modern ponies.

I saw cities twenty times the size of Canterlot. Flying machines soar high above the clouds faster than any pegasus. I saw things that defy all logic.

But with visions of peace, came also visions of war.

And what I saw both terrified and amazed me.

These strangers like me had weapons capable of razing entire cities. Metal beasts that spewed lightning and smoke. Tornadoes made of fire. Entire armies decimated.

I saw their rise, I saw decades in a blink of an eye. I saw almost everything, but just when 'they' reached the peak, the visions ended and I would wake up with burnt hands and feet.

I do not know why, but as the years passed I started getting these burns. They would always appear when I wake up. I had to convince my parents that they were training accidents, but one can wear bandages all over their hands and feet for so long.

Soon, my parents confronted me about it and I confessed all that I knew about it, leaving the vision from my explanation.

I can still remember the look of horror on my parents.

It appears that these burns were the result of magic seeping out from my body. Without a natural way to dispose of the arcane energy it will literally burn away my body until I will be reduced to nothing but ashes. And if the burns were any indication, the process will be far from quick and painless.

For months now I tried to come up with a cure, a way to siphon my ever building magic inside me. But the answer still eludes me, and I am no closer to the answer than I was a few years ago. I've stopped almost all interactions with my family and friends, devoting all my time to research and experiments.

You stop writing when you hear a knock on the door.

"Come in," you say automatically, your eyes scanning what you just wrote. The door creaks open and you can hear the soft clip-clop of the pony entering the office. "What is it?" you ask without looking up.
.

"Big bro?"

You winch internally. Out of all the ponies that could be visiting you…

You look up from the journal and force a smile. "Yes, Lulu? Did you need something?"

Lulu looks down on the floor, making circular patterns on it with her hoof. She has grown into a fine mare, beautiful and elegant. "Umm… not really…"

You adopt a forlorn expression as you stare at Lulu. When she discovered the truth about you, she had locked herself inside her room and refused to step out for almost a week. It did not help that you became more reserved and distant from everypony.

You sigh, trying to shake away the guilt with no success "Lulu, I-"

"Why are you ignoring us?!" she cries suddenly, looking up at you with a trembling lip and watery eyes.

"Lulu…"

"You stopped coming to eat with us, you never answer when I knock on your bedroom's door and when you see me in the halls you walk the other way and disappear before I can get to you!" Lulu sniffed a few times, tears spilling freely from her eyes. "I-I don't know what I d-did but I-I'm sorry. P-Please tell me why you hate me."

"Damn it Luna!" You yell, slamming your fist at the table. "Everything I did, everything, was so I can live, so I can be with you! How do you expect me to find a cure when you keep crying into my ear!" You immediately regret saying that when you see Lulu's frightened expression as more tears build in her eyes. In all of her life you have never raised your voice against her, not even once. You do not know what came over you. Perhaps it was because Lulu thought you hated her that snapped you.

But none of that was important right now. You rise from the chair and try to give Lulu a hug, only to have your heart wrenched from your chest when she flinches from you like a scared kitten, moving out to the hallway.

"This is an obsession, brother," she whispers. "I never understood it…"

Before you get the chance to apologize, Lulu bolts out of the room, crying her eyes out. You slowly stand up from your crouching position, looking down at your hand. You want to go after Lulu, you want to apologize, but something stops you.

You move back to your seat and try to get the recent events out from your head.

Why bad stuff always happens to you? Why can't you just live your life normally? Why do you have to die?!

You sigh, both internally and physically, and decide that the best course of action would be to completely drown yourself with work, because everyone knows that the best way to solve a problem is by completely ignoring it.

You look down back on the document and actually read it this time, this continuous for a good amount of time before another knock is heard.

"Who is it?" you call this time. You do not want another incident.

"It's Daring. Who else can it be you big monkey."

A ghost of a smile appears on your face. "Come it." Daring opens the door flies straight into your face.

"Dude, it's been ages since we last saw you, what's the deal?"

Of course that would be the first thing that Daring would say. He is not exactly known for his subtlety.

You take a moment to gather your thoughts. Just like Lulu, you have been avoiding your friends, recently. At first you tried to put on a brave face and hang out with them regardless, but the lack of any significant progress with finding a cure has really depressed you as of late.

"I uhh… had a lot of things to do! Yes, that's it, you know how it is, work, work, work!"

Daring raised an eyebrow, looking at you suspiciously while you don the biggest fake smile you can muster.

'Please buy it, please buy it, please buy it…'

"Well, you are the royal overseer. It would be weird if you didn't get too busy from time to time," Daring reasons.

You release a breath you did not know you were holding.

"So tell me Daring, what are you doing here?"

Daring suddenly smiles wickedly as he starts to giggle, a combination that always means trouble. "Dude *snicker* you are never gonna believe this…" Daring snickers some more.

"What is it this time Daring?" you ask worryingly. "What did you do?"

"Me? I didn't do anything. But dude, you should totally come and see this."

You shift uneasily in your chair for a moment. "I can't Daring. I've got work to do."

"What work?" Daring asks.

"The one right… here?" You look down at your desk, only to find that your 'in' bin was empty. You have actually finished work at record time?! Wait, what time is it?

You glance at the clock above the door and your eyes almost bulge out of your sockets. You have been working nonstop for eight hours!

You look up at Daring, who looks back at you with his trademark smirk. You sigh internally before standing up.

"Alright Daring, you win. Now what's got you giggling like breezie?"

"You just got to see it for yourself dude, now come on!" Daring declares as he flies behind you and push you out of the door and down the hallway.

As you are being led to… somewhere, you are inevitably start to drift off.

You wonder about your future. How much time will you have? Will you suffer a lot before eventually die? How would other ponies react when they will hear their unwanted prince just died? You know, just casually morbid things that every dying person asks himself at one point or another.

Sure, you are depressed about the whole 'dying by magic' thing, but you are not nearly as devastated about yourself as you are about your friends and family. You do not want to leave them.

"Here we are!" declares Daring. You snap out of your thoughts and gaze at the building in front of you.

"Why are with at the school for gifted unicorns?" you ask.

"To see our good friend Starswirl, what else?"

"Okay… why?"

Daring rolls his eyes and continues pushing you forwards. "You ask way too much dude. You should focus more on the 'now', understand?"

"I'm going to pretend I do," you answer, deciding that the best way to handle Daring is to simply go with the flow. And besides, you have never been inside the school before. It was truly a magnificent place. Everything was brand new and shining, as expected from a newly built structure. It was constructed only a few months prior, and already it was paying off. The unicorns attending the school are some of the brightest minds of your generation.

You even heard about this one unicorn that works on a contraption that uses steam to pull a cart across rails, though you are pretty sure that such a thing is way too ambitious to become a reality. What's next, flying machines using hot air? Simply ridiculous.

But you are not here to criticize others. You are here to meet Starswirl, probably the brightest stallion in this school. It was more often than not that you can find Starswirl inside the school. Since unicorns from all corners of Equestria come to the school to learn, the castle funded dorms nearby to allow student to stay close, completely tuition free.

You slowly approach Starswirl's dorm room as Daring's snickers become louder and louder. Finally, the two of you stop right next to Starswirl's door. Daring approaches it and knocks three times.

"W-Who is it?" you hear Starswirl's voice call out.

"It's me Starswirl, and also Daring," you call. "Can we come in?"

"No! You can't!" Starswirl shouts, sounding slightly panicky. "I'm in the middle of some very delicate experiment, I cannot be interrupted!"

"Come on Swirly, don't be such a party pooper," Daring calls out.

"Buck you Daring! This is your entire fault!"

You start to feel slightly worried. Daring obviously knows what happened and it seems Starswirl was not happy with it.

"Are you sure you're okay Starswirl? You're not hurt, are you?" You ask.

There is a slight pause from the closed door before Starswirl replies. "N-No, it’s not like this… *sigh* well, I guess I can show you. But you must promise not to laugh, okay?!"

"I promise on my good name that I will not laugh," you swear. You look down at Daring.

"What?" He asks. "I know what's behind that door already. And besides, you just ruined your good name."

You roll your eyes before grasping the door handle. "Okay Starswirl, we're coming in."

You twist the door handle and push the door inwards, mentally preparing yourself for the worst. The room was dark with only the light from the hallway to illuminate a small part of it. The room itself was a mess. Books littered the floor and vials of questionable liquids were laid all over the bed and desk. A shadowy figure stood at the center of the room, its back faces you and Daring and was the only part of the figure that was visible.

"Starswirl?" you call.

"I made a huge mistake…" Starswirl whispered.

"Is everything alright, Starswirl?"

"I will become the laughing stock of the century…"

"Starswirl you're really creeping me out."

Starswirl slowly turned around. You expect to see something hideous as you mentally prepared yourself.

However, no amount of time could prepare you to what you saw next.

It was subtle at first, a small bit of air escaping your mouth as your lips curve upwards. Then, it turned into a very gentle giggle. You feel something nudge your side and you look down at Daring, who looks up at you with a shit-eating grin. And that is when you lost it.

"Buahahahahahahahah! Starswirl, what the actual buck!" you laugh.

"You promised!" Starswirl cried, his muzzle twisted into a snarl under a curtain of facial hair that reached all the way to the floor. "Daring I bucking hate you! This is your fault!"

Starswirl glares at Daring as you literally fall on the floor, laughing your flank off. After a few moments of intense laughing you regain your composure enough to stand up, still giggling.

"Starswirl *giggle* what's the deal with this magnificent muzzle you've cultivated?" you ask, still very much amused.

Starswirl glares at you before returning his glare at Daring. "It was all because of his fault!" He thrusts a hoof in Daring's direction. "I was testing a theory about magic amplification via the use of short bursts of electricity, so I asked Daring to help me since he can manipulate storm clouds. Everything went well until that bucker decided it would be funny to zap me in the middle of a spell, resulting in this!" Starswirl gestures to his overly long beard. "I tried to shave it, but it simply grows back!"

Once you get your giggling under control you say, "I don't know Starswirl, it looks kinda good with this beard. It's certainly better than the uneven patch of facial hair you had before."

"I look ridiculous!" Starswirl argues.

"I think it makes you look professional," Daring says, adding his two bits to the conversation. Starswirl's eye twitches as a lock on his new beard suddenly pops.

You slowly back away from the malfunctioning Starswirl, Daring following suit. Starswirl's horn suddenly lights up.

You exchange looks with Daring, and with a subtle nod, you bolt out of the room.

"Dariiiiiiiiing!" you hear Starswirl roar as he chases after you. You yelp when a stray bolt of magic hits you on the ass, causing you to double your efforts as Daring laughs hysterically besides you.

"What are you laughing at?!" you yell, rounding a corner, almost running over a passing pony.

"Isn't this fun?!" Daring yells in response, dodging another projectile.

"You and I have a very different definitions of fun, Daring!"

"A short life and a happy one, that's my motto!" Daring declares. You almost stumble at these words.

"How can Daring be so carefree?" you ask, still running for dear life.

"Simple." Daring rounds a corner and you follow after him. Before you can continue running however, Daring grabs you by the toga and shoves you into a supply closet. Daring closes the door behind you two and listens closely. You can hear Starswirl rush past you.

Daring lets out a sigh before looking at you. "I don't want to survive. I want to live! Live everyday like it was your last!"

You gawk at Daring in surprise. Words simply failed you as you try to come up with an answer. To what question? You do not know.

You chuckle dryly as you run a hand down your face.

"I've been such a jerk," you whisper to nopony in particular.

You feel something touch your shoulder and you look up to see Daring smiling at you.

"I don't know what happened that caused you to ignore us," he started. You are about to speak up when Daring stops you. "But that doesn't matter. Whatever it is, just know that we still care about you, the girls especially. So here's what you're gonna do. You're gonna pull that stick from your flank, and you're going to fix this. You hear me!"

You are absolutely speechless. That was certainly a new side of Daring you have never seen before.

"I- thank you Daring. I promise I'll do my best," you say, smiling.

Daring pats you on your shoulder. "That's my friend. Now go, I'll entertain Starswirl for now."


You run down the halls of the castle with reckless abandon, muttering apologies to guards and maids as you almost ran them over. You do not know what possessed you, but you simply had to see her as fast as you can.

You round a corner and almost come crashing head first into Tia. She yelps and jumps to the side, avoiding you by mere seconds.

"Sorry Tia!" you yell over your shoulder as you dash down the corridor. Tia yells something back but you are too far away to actually hear what she says.

After about a minute of intense running you have reached your destination. Bringing your fist up to the door, you pound on it before calling, "Lulu! Lulu open up!"

You hear a few sniffs emanating from beyond the door to Lulu's room. "G-Go away…"

"Luna open the door this instance!" you demand.

"No!" she retaliates.

"Luna open the door now before I huff and I puff and I'll break the door off its hinges. One… two…"

You hear a small click as the door mechanism unlocks. The door then glows soft blue before it swings inwards, revealing the tear-stained face of Lulu.

"W-What do you wan- eep!"

You barge into Lulu's room, fall onto your knees, and embrace her in a tight hug. You slowly run your hand through Lulu's mane as you hear her start sobbing again.

"I have been a fool, Lulu," you whisper. "I have been a fool and a jerk. I do not deserve the tears that you shed for me."

You can feel Lulu wrap her own hooves around you, squeezing you tightly as if afraid that you will disappear.

"I missed you, big bro," she utters, her voice hoarse.

"Shhhh… none of that now…" you coo. "I'm here now."

At some point during your exchange of affection, Tia enters the room, looking worried. "What happened, brother? Is everything okay?"

You move your face away from Lulu's mane, looking lovingly at Tia. "It is now, Tia," you answer. "I realized that life is too short to spend it moping around. From now on I promise that I won't neglect any of you for as long as I live."

Tia smiles sadly as tears start to build in her eyes as well. You gesture her to come as well as she lunges at you. You hug both of your sisters tightly as they cry into your chest while you coo and whisper words of encouragement for the both of them.

No matter what happens next. You will always remain their big brother.


"Who was that creature? He's unlike anything I have seen before," a figure asks as he was given a cup of tea.

"Oh, you mean 'his highness'?" Starswirl replied in a teasing manner. After he chased down and punished Daring (he dyed his coat color pink) he decided that he would rather enjoy the company of his newly acquired buddy.

"He's royalty?! How come you never told me?"

"You've never asked." Starswirl sips from his own tea. "Why? Do you want me to introduce you two?"

The figure pondered a bit. "Yes, it is imperative that I'll speak to the ruling bodies of this country posthaste."

Starswirl raises an eyebrow at that. "Why? Is something the matter?"

"N-No, it's nothing like that!" The figure hurried to say. "By the way, how come you grew a beard all of a sudden?"

Starswirl sighs explosively. "Don't you start, Scorpan…"

Author's Note:

Finally heh? I bet you didn't expect that when checking your library.

Let's cut to the chase shall we. I'm gonna focus on this story from now on. This doesn't mean I'll stop working on other stories though. Also, as you might have guessed there was a pretty decent time skip in this chapter. I did that because I was sick and tired of setting the story for the juicy part I planned ahead, so if any of you wants to complain about the time skip, I implore of you not to.

Also, for those of you who didn't notice, this story got an alternate universe tag because I can't be bothered to check everything that happened in the MLP universe prior of season one, and there is a lot of lore before season one.

I hope I didn't pissed off the lot of you and if you've found any typos (and you don't mind to backtrack and point them out) please notify me, because I haven't got an editor for this story and it's freaking hard to get one

Soon, the origins of our friendly neighborhood human shall be revealed, and it just might not be what you expected

This chapter is dedicated to Dragonginger and Dragonybrony, that, at the time, did a podcast reviewing two of my stories

EDIT-

Thanks Alejin for this amazing fan art

Comments ( 108 )

Pls.. GIVE MORE STORY CHAPTERS!!!!

I saw their rise, I saw decades in a blink of an eye. I saw almost everything, but just when 'they' reached the peak, the visions ended and I would wake up with burnt hands and feet.

Soon, the origins of our friendly neighborhood human shall be revealed, and it just might not be what you expected

I really hope it isn't. Because if it's what I think it is, I quit.

6260984 Lucky for you, none of the links was correct

6260999
Oh thank goodness, I am so tired of those tropes. They tend to ruin a number of perfectly good stories that didn't need those elements to begin with.

Live everyday like it was your last!"

made me think of this song

and yes the story is back! can't wait for more.

tirek's going to drain all his magic isn't he -.-

6261205 Hopefully, and that's a good thing!

yay:yay: finally a new chapter has come out ive been waiting forever for it to continue and it was werf it cant wait for future chapters

Tirek, savior of the prince!
Unless, upon his inevitable defeat, the magic returnbs to him in force, speeding up his burn up...
but let's not think about that

Thanks dude, give me a little time and I well send you a colored one.

"A short life and a happy one, that's my motto!"

is that an Assassin's Creed blackflag reference?

6261911 Fun facts: most of the pirates in Assassin's Creed Black Flag were real life pirates, such as Vane, Hornigold, Bonny, Blackbeard(duh), and even Bartholomew Roberts(aka The Sage).

Robert's last recorded words were: 'merry life, and a short one'

Starswirl sighs explosively. "Don't you start, Scorpan

oh my
i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/axlthehedgehog_2008/responses/youhadmycuriosity.jpg





stayclassy:moustache:

I was not in fact expecting this when I saw I had one chapter to read in my library

6262776 Wow, it's amazing to think how much time has passed since then. I already finished high school

The introduction of those characters REALLY saved you from killing off your main character, didn't it?

THIS STORY IS AWESOME:pinkiehappy:
I really, really can't wait for more. I truly hope that he will live cause I hate sad endings, happy endings is what I look forward too. This sounds cheesy doesn't it? :twilightsheepish:
P.S Please warn me if this story will end badly
P.S.S You are AWESOME:twilightsmile: Keep up with your amazing skill
P.S.S.S I love that art you put in under Authors Notes its cute and AWESOME at the same time :yay:

6263027
6262938
Maybe I should an a Tragedy tag. What do you say guys?

6263031 I'd almost say it's applicable from the moment he finds out.

Oh hey, this is back...
...
Cool...
...
*Partying internally*:pinkiecrazy::rainbowwild:

~Valvatorez

Hm....huh...ummmmm
Neh...good.

6263045 wrong, that would be a sad tag (He is suffering/ MIGHT die), tragedy is he is suffering/ WILL die. Or something else almost as bad happens.

WOOO! Keep the updates rolling.

6263031 well if it's going to have a sad ending then mabye you should last thing I want is to get all emotional over a story :ajsleepy:

This is a good story and all, but the writing seems to be growing less and less inspired. I'd go so far as to say this is probably one of the worst chapters you've written thus far.

The overall message of this chapter was tired and came from some random pony spouting what seemed to be nonsense, I forgot who Daring was because he wasn't important at any other point in the story, and he seems to have been inserted into the story as an afterthought to be the author's mouthpiece that shouts through a megaphone what the protagonist and the readers are supposed to learn from the chapter.

The characters seem lazily weaved into the fabric of the writing, as though they're only being held up by sticks and glue so that they may be "cute". Look at Luna here, I understand her pain, but the entire situation where she cries and runs off seemed overdramatized to the point of becoming groan-worthy. The grammatical mistakes don't help either.

I'm happy that you've been updating, but that's about where my joy ends. The grammatical errors that I'd expect to find on a fifth grade essay, the tired concept of "Carpe diem!", and the random and poorly put together friends of the protagonist combined with the unimaginative attempts at comedy and heartwarming moments, not to mention how hard it is for me to really connect with the goody two-shoes main character, makes the chapter fall flat. Others here love your story, but the flaws are too much of a burden for me to enjoy the read. I hope you take these as more of a building block to make your story better than it is.

tl;dr: This chapter felt lazily thrown together. The original cuteness of the story has about worn off and I think you need to find some new material and characterize the important people in this story a little more in order to not make them thin masks that you're wearing within the story to preach trite messages to both the protagonist and the audience. The grammar is frankly awful and the drama in the story is written in a way that makes the characters come across as whiny and dull as opposed to three-dimensional and colorful. I honestly could skim through this chapter and get just as much of an idea as to what was happening or going to happen (yes, it was that obvious) as other readers who had actually read through it word for word would.

6274582 well, what can I say, I'm not the best writer, that much I know, and the only reasons most of my stories are popular is because of their originality. Out of all the points you've mentioned the only one I can really tackle is my grammar. As some may know, English is not my native language. Each day I improve but I'm still miles away from becoming a good author, not to mention that I don't have an editor for this story.

I sort of understand where you're coming from, but I'm not going to change what I already published. I will, however, take what you said to heart and try to make future chapters better.

This Discord's origins?

Did you delete some chapters?

Scorpan eh? You sneaky bastard :trollestia:

Well done comrade and more please

6529953 That was just foreshadowing for him being burned from magic

YOU MUST CONTINUE THIS STORY:flutterrage:

6696781
Just like pewds said: everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they're FUCKING WRONG!!!
Just Kidding :)

6696824 MY PLAN WENT WRONG IT MADE YOU ANGRY NOT SAD!

6696977
PLAN FAILURE IMMINENT, PREPARE FOR COUNTER-ATTACK

6704012 SUMMON MY ARMY OF MUTANTS!

6698748 now rereading it IM CONFUSED IM HIGH!

6704026 Yes... yes... let the confusion consume you. Surrender to the frenzy. Become one of us...

6704632 (mutates you) nope now you will be a ghoul forever NAHAHAHAHA!

6704632 AND YOU MUST WATCH THIS!

6716799 Indeed. Wiser words have never been spoken:ajbemused:

6716586 .... randomly teleporting? i dont know how that would be bad

6716768 .... is there a thing such as a love sqaure? i heard of a love triangle but a sqaure one hmm

6716905 ... Water burns like acid to the enderkind... well when enderdragons grow to full maturity. they lose that weakness but they are then affected by arrows and other projectiles. but i ain't that mature yet so i'm still harmed by water and liquids similar to water.

6717120 Wow, you must smell like death

6717432 I SMELL OF NOTHING!!! I live in an airless environment, bacteria cannot live where i come from. Thus, i do not smell of anything.


And only now do I realize that you are the guy who wrote this story..

Login or register to comment