• Published 5th Apr 2012
  • 1,604 Views, 48 Comments

The Edge Of Harmony - Alazak



Pearl a pony with a head full of stories travels to Ponyville to meet her child hood hero.

  • ...
4
 48
 1,604

CH 13

“You know Autumn, the worst part about any adventure that the books all seem to skip is all the walking involved.” Pearl and Autumn had traveled the grueling three day walk from Las Pegasus. After the bitter-sweet defeat of Laughter and Autumn joining her little quest she had mixed feelings. On one hoof she was just a few steps closer to having all of this over, but then again she was destroying her foalhood heroes.

After meeting Rarity she was everything but nothing like Beauty Gestone, She greedily clamored to the illusion of her youth for the attention of one that had to painfully move on and died for his Princess. Beauty Gemstone would falter to make an impact in the stories as she would be a self centered character that would manipulate the others and those around her to get what she wanted. In the end she always turned out to have a heart of gold and would sacrifice the world for Twilight. When Pearl was young she would sometimes get into her mother's makeup and sun hats and prance around the house calling everypony ‘Darling’ with the best stuck up tone she could muster. As Pearl grew up she figured Gemstones lesson was that giving was always better than receiving. Pearl wondered what Sweetie Belle was doing right now? Would they return to Ponyville and reopen the old boutique? Pearl had visited it once or twice in between errands while she was in Ponyville.

Rainbow Dash was a surprise. She had always looked up to her before knowing who she really was. The Wonderbolts captain and fastest pegasus alive. It was said that she raced Celestias sun across Equestria and won. It was a big event said to be ‘The Fastest Day In Equestria’ was what the posters said. Even when they arrived to take her element she seemed strong, like it didn’t matter what they were there to do. She was a far cry from the layabout that Pearl had grown up with. Rainbow Flash was nothing like Dash, Flash was lazy and only saw things her way, she would argue with the other characters just for something to do sometimes. Alway looking to be the center of attention at the cost of those around her. She would give up halfway through a thought or action if it no longer interested her and would endlessly obsess over the failed dream of joining he Wonderbolts. Peal had always wondered if Rainbow Flash aspired to be Rainbow Dash, funny how true that became.

And then there was Pinkie Pie, or Pink Smile. other than Twilight herself Pink Smile was Pearl's favorite character from the books. Random, unusual and always with a song to brighten up her friends day. Pink and Pinkie didn’t seem that far off from each other. Pearl had learned from a pair of mischievous twins that Pinkie was the last to leave Ponyville and was their foalsitter. They told her she had become sad she couldn’t help her friends and could no longer take the sadness she could feel every where she went. Fluttershy had told her that Pinkie had made it pretty big as a comedian in Las Pegasus, it's kind of how they found her.

And now they would have to take Applejack, Fluttershy and finally Twilight’s elements to make Gallatais whole. He told her that his plan was for the betterment of Equestria, by bringing back war to the ponies they would grow stronger because they would have a history to stand on. The princess will stand against him and lead the ponies to victory. Pearl really didn’t like his plan, it involved so much pain and history may not look so kindly on her for bringing this pain to her kind. But Galliatais assured Pearl that her part would leave the history books calling her a hero, Twilight defeated two gods and got nothing but a footnote in the history books. Barely a paragraph as Parl could remember from her recent history class in school, it was quite disheartening how quickly she had been forgotten.

Pearl thought about Autumn and how she would deal with confronting her own mother and to take away her kindness. Gallatais called Autumn the bearer of Pain, and thinking about it now it seemed appropriate, to do such a thing even to think about doing it would put a massive strain on her fragile psyche. Pearl had only known Autumn for a short month so ultimately she really couldn’t understand why Autumn was going through all of this for almost a stranger.

“Before we get to Ponyville I have to know why why are you really doing this for me?” Parl asked with a heavy heart. “You barely know me, I don’t understand. I mean I”m grateful really I am but.”

“You’re my only friend.” Pearl stopped. What, no way Autumn was the sweetest filly she had ever meet. “It’s true, Because I can’t fly I was never accepted when I lived in Cloudsdale with dad, so mom took me and home schooled me in the cottage. I tried to make friends but the other kids were so mean. I would come home crying to mother and all she could do was hold me and tell me stories of her youth.” Pearl wanted to cry but nothing came. “And after living in seclusion for so long you came along, You didn’t judge me the way the others did, you accepted me for all my flaws and even proclaimed to help me. I was beyond moved never thinking I could never repay you, until.” Autumn finished her story and felt Pearl embrace her tightly.

“You poor thing, but what about Applebloom? She seemed to like you well enough?”

“Only because of mother and Applejack. She's a lot older than me and was always busy with the farm. Applejack told me once not to take her to heart when she was distant with me, she had lost her best friends and felt betrayed by them for so long.” Pearl thought back to that fateful day when Applebloom scolded her and mentioned her friends that left her. Sweetie Belle had been taken with her sister and became a hollow soul of a pony. While Scootaloo chased her dream leaving everything behind finding happiness.

“But will you be able to stand against your own mother, I’m not sure I can?”

“So far nopony has really been hurt in Gallatais’ quest to return his elements. And I’m hoping it’ll stay that way.”

“Spoken like a true idealist.” Gallatais emerged from his sword and joined the conversation. “But this is Kindness we’re talking about, it’s a frail and brittle element that has always needed the utmost care in maintaining.” Pearl didn’t like his input on the subject. “Before your mother It belonged to Celestia, she would work its magic on the pony tribes and put them at ease. She was, is, a truly kind soul.”

“What other Elements did she possess?” Autumn looked to Gallatais as they continued.

“She could wield any of the six great elements of harmony, as could Luna. They weren't like your mother and her friends locked to one particular pony. No my harmony was much more than a simple object that one carried around, heightening its wielders personality actions or abilities. It was a force of nature.” Pearl could hear the pride in his voice bream as he spoke of the Elements of Harmony. “But they are also fickle and if those who can wield them become tainted or detached from their light they would no longer answer your call.”

“Is that what happened between the sisters?” Autumn chimed in. “Mother told me the story of the Royal Pony Sisters and the Rise of Nightmare Moon.” Pearl had also heard the stories about how Luna became angry at the ponies for turning away from her beautiful night only enjoying the warmth of her sisters sun. So distort she forged archaic magics and her hatred turned her into a monster that threatened all of Equestria with eternal night. But in the end she was defeated by Celestia and the Elements, locking Luna away in the moon for a thousand years.

“There is more to the story but you would have to ask my daughters about it.” Gallatais began to form himself into his Alicorn body. After gaining Pinkie Pie’s element he had regained much of his former look, instead of being mostly smoke Pearl could make out small glimmering stars dancing across his misty coat and his eyes sparkled like moonlight. “We have arrived at our destination.” The girls stopped as the trail before them lead directly into the Everfree Forest.

Pearl swallowed a hard lump in her throat. “I thought we were heading to Ponyville to confront Apple Jack?” her mind raced with terrible memories of the Everfree and the monsters that lie within.

“We are but there is something in the forest I must retrieve before we take Twilight. She may not look it but she holds unfathomable power.” Pearl felt a little pride in her worship of Twilight for a moment. But what could Gallatatais need to fight her? Was it some mystic item hidden in the forest, perhaps a magical charm to protect him from the Element of Magic? “In the forest of darkness lies the braer of Hatred, As you two are the bearers of the Elements of War there is but one more.”

“Hatred? What’s that supposed to mean?” Pearl gave Gallatais a puzzled look. “I don’t think I can do this with a monster with us.” her voice quivered as she entered the forest and she could feel a thousand eyes watching her just like before.

“A monster? Yes, I guess she could be called that. Hatred has lived for nothing else but revenge on the Element of Magic, I could feel her presence in the forest more than any other creature that inhabited the Everfree.” Galliatais seemed much bigger while in the forest, Pearl wasn’t sure if it was the closed in space that she and Autumn huddled together in or if returning to this place made him more powerful.



Pearl couldn’t help but give quite squeaks of surprise when ever something moved in the shadows, she looked to Autumn and she didn’t fair any better. A mass of sweat streamed down her face, Fluttershy had always told her disturbing stories of the Everfree and its ghastly inhabitants. The closest she had ever gotten to the forest's edge was her backyard always seeing piercing red eyes looking back from the shadows.

The trio ventured further into the forest and entered a clearing. “Here we are. This should work fine.” The clearing had a large opening in the tree ceiling and Autumn looked up to the passing clouds, it was still quite early probably about ten or eleven. All around them Pearl searched for signs of life. A rustle of bushes startled her and the ever presence of hungry eye felt like they were everywhere. “Come out now, Master of the Forest.” Was this who Gallatais was looking for, this ‘Master of the Forest’.

A crack of tree branches and Pearls heart died as she witnessed a great lions head emerge from its hiding place. She could feel tears form as the great manticore stepped into the clearing. It was him, the one that killed her, was this the Bearer of Hatred that Gallatais spoke of? Pearl hid behind Gallatais.

“So my elusive meal has returned.” The great beast began to circle them. “Have you come for another taste of my poison?” His tail lashed out cutting into the ground and leaving large gashes in the dirt. “But what’s this? I see you’ve brought me an appetizer. Yes a little Pegasus, how quaint. And here I thought I had lost you that day. My little pony I was worried when I got to the bottom of that rivin a was unable to find a corpse.” He made no gesture toward Gallatais, could he not see him? Or did Gallatais not want the manticore to see him? “Are we still spouting nonsense of being a hero? It was so cute last time.”His circle became tighter. “But what's this my my I haven’t seen one of those since the fall of the Alicorns.” The monster lifted a sharp claw and pointed to the sword strapped across Pearls back.

That’s right Pearl had Gallatais’ sword. She wasn’t much with it but it was better than nothing like last time and she knew he was faster than he let on. Perhaps she had a chance this time. “No monster not this time, I came here not for you.” Pearl stepped from behind Gallitais. “But now that you’re here we have unsettled business.” Pearl reached around and took the handle in her mouth. With a determined look in her eye she readied for his assault.

“Oh my, you look so brave this time. But what of your friend can you protect her also?” Pearl slowly stepped between Autumn and the manticore. Autumn could feel Pearls determination to defeat the monster before her and keep it from harming her. The manticore lowered his head reading for a charge as did Pearl.

It was as if time had slowed to a halt as Autumn watched the two enemies stare each other down. Gallatais made no moves to help but a small wisp split off him and wandered into the forest. Autumn blinked and it started, Pearl charged the manticore and held the sword poised to strike as did the manticore. The two closed the large gap in a matter of moments, Pearl bringing the blade up and over slashing the air with a metallic ‘shink’ as it met the manticores own strike. His massive claw made contact with the sword and knocked it from Pearls grip, it flew only a short distance and stuck into the dirt. Pearl was disarmed but unfettered she quickly composed herself and rolled out of the way of the deadly stinger as it came crashing down on her. stopping next to the blade she retrieved it and brought it to block just as the beasts fangs bit at her. He retreated and spat a little blood to the grass, she had managed to cut his cheek in the successful block. It was now a stand off, slightly winded from huling the blade around she quickly regained her breathing. he manticore likced his cheek and gave her a bloody smile. Pearls eyes went wide as his tail lashed out in Autumn’s direction. Autumn instinctively ducked to the side but was knocked to the ground.

“You dirty monster you’ll pay!” Pearl cried out as she went in for another charge. The manticore spread his wings and leapt straight into the air to avoid Pearls rage. She passed beneath him and slid to a stop just as the manticore landed. He spun around and caught Pearl across the side knocking her to the ground next to Autumn. “Are you okay?” Pearl once again stood between the manticore and Autumn.

With a raspy response Autumn told Pearl she was fine it was just a little cut. Pearl dropped the sword as she turned to see Autumn had been hit by the attack. A large gash across her side bleed over Autumn’s hooves and onto the grass. The poison must be taking effect Autumn couldn't see straight every thing seemed blurry to her and she felt cold. She looked to Pearl and smiled but it was weak, and then to Gallatais who hadn’t moved since the start of the fight. “So this is the burden I must bear, this pain of having to die?” She asked Gallatais.

“No child this is not the pain you must bear, it is much worse.”

“Gallatais you bastard help me! Or she will die and so will I!” The manticore looked to the spot Gallatais stood.

“Did you say Gallatais? The Lord of the Alicorns is dead, I saw it happen over a millenia ago. Now you two shall die and I will feast like the king I am.” The manticore charged Pearl and before she could react swatted her aside like a fly. “I will start with you, so young so tender I will enjoy every bite.” Pearl struggled to her hooves and ran to save Autumn as the manticore brought his great stinger down on Autumn.


It was so peaceful, the warmth of her blood covered Autumns body darkness filled the world around her, she wondered if Pearl felt this peaceful when she died. It was strange it didn’t even hurt, was it the poison numbing the pain? She thought for an instant to everyone she was leaving: Pearl her only friend, she had only known her for a short time but she felt so close to her but she didn’t know why. And to to her father, he would be so sad she was gone but Autumn was okay with that. And then as she thought to her mother she thought she could hear her voice tell her to wake up she had to live on and keep on going.

Autumn opened her eyes as she felt small warm drops of water land on her face. There above her wasn’t the manticores hungry maw but a smiling teary Fluttershy.


The world rushed back in an instant. The Everfree was all around her the roar of the manticore filled the background and above her was her mother. “But how I don’t...” Autumn reached up to her mother crying face.

Fluttershy fell on top of her daughter, and began to bleed from the massive hole in her back.

For Pearl it was like a nightmare, The manticore had just knocked her way and went to strike down the helpless pegasi, Pearl cried out for a miracle to save her friend. Just then a streak of yellow blocked took strike. The manticore’s tail sank deep into Fluttershy as she took the attack to save her only child. Pearl was stunned for a moment, even the manticore took a surprised step back. Pearl saw her moment, in his confusion Pearl darted for the sword and drove it up through his chest. The blade cut easily through the monsters flesh and between his ribs, a mass of blood poured from the wound as if a faucet had broken off. With an ear shattering roar he cried out and died instantly. Pearl’s white coat had been drenched in the crimson stink of the monsters blood as she stood and watched Fluttershy collapse on top of Autumn as Gallatais approached the sad scene.

“And thus the ultimate act of kindness brings her to a close.” Gallatais reformed to smoke and enveloped the two ponies, a quick pulse of yellow and it was all over.

“You! You planned this all along didn’t you!?” Pearl lashed out at Gallatais when he reformed, her erratic slashed with his sword passed right through him leaving nothing more than smoke trails as it left his body. “Couldn’t you have taken the element some other way? Did she have to die?” Pearl huffed and tired herself out striking at nothingness that was Gallatais finally collapsing to the ground in tears.

“It doesn't hurt, Gallatais. The pain its numbi. I can’t feel anything any more.” Autumn rolled her lifeless mother off her and stood over her. Tears were flowed like water from her eyes. “My eyes, they won’t stop crying.” Her voice seemed dead and lifeless. “Was this the pain I must endure?” Gallatais gave no answer.