• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 2,594 Views, 25 Comments

I'll be waiting... - Zweiterversuch



Legends mention a shiny kingdom. It was ruled by mystical and beautiful beings. It was said that it was always sunny there, without any wars or hunger. What a beautiful kingdom that would be. I pray everyday for the legends to be true.

  • ...
1
 25
 2,594

The fire under the mountain


Already from far away I could hear the cannons and arrows directed at Spike. By the sounds of it Theodore was not holding his punches against him. But apparently even his strongest weapons and the continuous rain of arrows could not hurt severely the thousand years old dragon.
All he could hope to achieve was to lower Spike's morale and rise his with his words.

"You foul, unnamed evil, know that your end will come by the hooves of those that follow the princesses teachings!
No more will your figure threaten the peace of the citizens of our land, nor will your shadow torment their sleep!
Accept your defeat and fall, fall in the princesses' name!!"

Our position regarding the battle taking place in front of us a pretty advantageous one. Spike and Theodore's army were locked at different ends of a tunnel with Spike defending his side and Theodore pushing forward from the other. Thanks to a couple detours, twists and turns Wild Rose and I were coming from a somewhat smaller tunnel that was located right next to Theodore's army. Under other circumstances that would have been the worst side to stand on, but all the soldiers and even Theodore himself were so immersed in the battle that they didn't even notice we were approaching.

With a swift movement of his gigantic tail Spike swiped away the hundreds of arrows aimed at his face and chest.
He had been pushed into a corner, but it was solely because he, for some reason, didn't want to have their blood in his claws, despite how easy it'd have been for him. He still was a child after all. This might be the first time he might have to fight for this life.

"It looks like you've used more your tongue than your ears in your life.
I've grown tired of explaining that I am not the one you believe me to be!
Just retreat if it is really Canterlot you fight for!!!"

Out of Spike's mouth a green sea of flames flooded the ground of the cave turning it into a glowing pool of molten rock. No soldiers were caught in the green inferno, nor did any fall victim to the scorching sea of liquid stone. The army stood right behind it, its foot soldiers and armored units rendered useless, depending now only of the arrows and cannon balls that had proven useless until now.
But Theodore wasn't about to surrender, not when he was that close to the princesses he so much worshiped.

"Cursed beast!
Prepare the crossbow! Cannon units, archers units, gunners, fire at will, create a wall of smoke to hide the location of the red javelin!
The princesses will be free today!!"

The constant explosions of the cannons and the rifles, and the zooming sound of the arrows filled quickly the air and it became hard to hear what Spike or Theodore were saying.

Despite our intentions of joining the fray, our bodies, mine and Wild Roses, were in no condition to fight. But as Wild Rose had mentioned with all the gunpowder Theodore had brought along it'd be easy to bring down the mountain upon them. Killing was something Spike did not want to do, but to take a life was something Theodore was dead set on achieving, and something I was more than willing to do as well, if it meant saving Spike's life.

Before the smoke became too thick I managed to spot a big group of barrels right next to one of the walls of the tunnel. All I did was tell Wild Rose about it and before I noticed it she was already tying all her bombs together into some sort of explosive wreath that she threw in the appointed direction.

My directions and Wild Rose's throw were the only things were managed to do before falling on our knees due to our exhaustion.
I didn't need to hear the explosion or see the rock falling on top of me to know there was no way me or Wild Rose could get out of there after the barrels exploded.
Even if we managed to survive the explosion or if we were not crushed by a single rock, we wouldn't be able to move ourselves or any of the rocks that would trap us.
Seconds before the wreath exploded Wild Rose said something I couldn't clearly understand due to the countless sounds that filled the air.

"...At the end the only capable of putting and end to the Wild Rose's legend was none other than the mountain that had sealed once the destiny of a kingdom..."

It was then that the mountain trembled and cracked. The screams of the soldiers that fell because of the explosion were quickly overshadowed by the cracking sound of the rock breaking apart. The dark smoke escaped through the new fissure on the side of the mountain while the earth shook around us. Big rocks started to fall from the ceiling of the cave. The biggest of them all was about to squash Theodore and the rest of his army when something apparently stopped it.

"Stupid fools! What do you think you are doing!?"

Spike held the rock on his back. He had used his body to save the soldiers that had come to kill him. Me, Wild Rose, even the soldiers, the archers, the cannon units and gunners were surprised by his actions. Surprised to such degree that for a moment their war cries stopped and the soldiers wondered if the one before them was truly their enemy or not.
I was sure that was the last chance I had to fix the whole problem...
But unluckily Theodore's voice was louder than mine. I wasn't about to let it go to waste.

Bad ending Good ending