• Published 26th May 2014
  • 843 Views, 9 Comments

Catalyst - That Colt



One month after Lord Tirek brought Equestira to it's knees, Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends adjust to the changes in their life; while elsewhere an old enemy rises again

  • ...
1
 9
 843

Chapter 2: Mon travail ingrate

Chapter 2: Mon travail ingrate

Seven ponies and one buffalo, five of them had halberds, sword and armor. The golden glint of their half plate betrayed them as pegasai before Sombra could even see their wings. Another was a unicorn; heavy full plate sagging on a lanky frame. A smile crept across his fearsome countenance; unicorns of this time still took issue with physical training it seemed. The seventh, that should be the lieutenant; unless the force organization of the military had changed drastically since he had helped draft their modus operandi millennia ago; albeit with the aide of that insufferable wench that was once attached to the lunar princess seemingly at the hip. What genuinely surprised him, in itself a small shock that he was still capable of being surprised after absorbing over a millennium of history in the span of a week; was the lieutenant was an earth pony.

Sombra watched from beneath a large tree; to anyone with powerful magic, that is the few who could rival his own. He was standing out in the open, making no effort to hide. A second, more detail oriented look would see that he was in fact, stand in the shadow; however faint it maybe, of the tree. It was a simple spell, anypony looking at the shadow would simply skip over it, their minds not even registering the compulsion. He may have been mildly concerned had the lieutenant been a unicorn; still he would not make the mistake underestimate the green coated earth pony.

She was a lieutenant and was certainly not old enough to have reached the rank by seniority. The Buffalo was another issue; large, strong and fast. Not to mention skilled with those horns. The buffalo had only been encountered one or two times around the time of his second life; he chided himself for not knowing more at the same time he reveled at the chance to learn something new after all this time.

The pegasai, save two where grounded, patrolling the ground, while the buffalo was kneeling gently moving his foreleg over the ground with the unicorn and earth pony at his side. Ah, a Tracker; this was fortuitous, he was indeed on the right track.

“Anything Longwalker?” the earth pony finally spoke, interesting she was from Trottingham. He noted this; as well as the buffalos slightly exaggerated eye roll, either patience wasn’t a virtue this tracker possessed. Unlikely given his obvious profession, or; far more likely it was not one for the lieutenant.

“You cannot force the land to speak any faster than you can force the river to slow” the Buffalo’s rich baritone hid any irritation well, but Sombra could see it in the large creatures body language as it stood back up audibly loosening a stiff neck. “The skin changers did come this way, no more than a day, no less than a night.”

The lieutenant grinned looking up at the tracker, waved her forelimb at the unicorn earnestly. “Splendid! Simply splendid! Mistra! Prepare a magical missive to the Crystal Empire, we must inform the Lord High Marshal.”

The Unicorn saluted, then removed both scroll and quill from her satchel; quickly scratching away at the vellum. The Pegasai had descended to join in their leader’s enthusiasm. Foals, Sombra didn’t even bother stepping from his shadow. To anyone with powerful magic, the same who could have seen through his simple glamor, what came next would have horrified them. In truth, it had once horrified the king himself, until he had understood the necessity of it all. It wasn’t an easy spell, not even for him, but it was quick, quiet and effective.

The soldiers, their tracker, commander and caster simple fell to the ground…dead. Sombra exhaled, having been holding his breath as he stepped forward to inspect his hoofwork. Where there was light, there was shadow; and only the smallest bit of light penetrated a pony’s body. Mostly through the eyes, on lighter coated individuals a small bit just beneath the skin. Taxing as it was, no one would be able to identify that these ponies had died due to each shadow in their body suddenly turning to poison then back again. Sombra knelt down before rummaging through their satchels; not that they would need it anymore.

“Your King thanks you for your generosity” he growled in amusement pulling out rations, a canteen, map and more importantly the Unicorn’s log book that no doubt contained details to his quarry. Yes, this would do nicely. He returned to the shade of the tree and sat pulling open one of the meals the soldiers had carried. He was ravenous; his new body as yet had sustained itself on whatever he could find in the wild surrounding his sanctuary and the journey to his now closer quarry. Neither option was a meal fit for a king, but a king didn’t complain no, a king dealt with what he had and made the best of it.

Now; onto the map, Sombra crossed off another box in his mental checklist. He was far from his Empire; not that anypony was looking for him. The distance was both bitter and a welcome asset; he was far closer to the Dragonlands than he expected, but then again when you were running for years from the equestrian military who had found a way to strip you of your natural defense…one could not be so choosy in whose backyard you approached. Yes, this was indeed fortuitous. Greedily he tore open the log book, devouring mentally their travels their leads and their losses. Excellent; those foolish sisters and their new High Lord Marshal had reduced the number of hunting parties over the years. No doubt long periods of silence had become expected. Sombra shook his head, he would have killed such a threat when it presented itself rather than let it roam across Equestria doing who knows what to whom.

Those ponies where close; very close. Now he was closing in on their prey and the first step to his return. It wouldn’t take long to find them now. Sombra laughed, elation filled his week old heart as the terrible sound of cracking thunder broke from his lips. Soon he would have the service of a powerful ally; and her army of abominations. He stood, packing up the gifted supplies before turning his head north; confident that he would find what, rather who, he was looking for nearby.

“A queen is nothing without her king.” A grin played across his handsome features. “Indeed nothing without her king.”

***

“Is the Squirt ok?” as always, when her she was worried, excited, sad or anything than her normal energetic self, Rainbow Dash’s voice cracked away from its normal not-quite-rasp atop one of the royal palace’s many balcony’s.

“I’m not sure, I think so the nightmares have been getting worse this past week...” Twilight’s voice was full of pain; that much was clear even though the audible distortion of the communication spell. Rainbow Dash was never the most sensitive of ponies or the most observant; but she could tell this was weighing heavily on Twilight. She wanted to reach out and comfort her companion, something that she knew was currently impossible. The communication spell created an ethereal image of the lavender princess, but ultimately lacked any substance.

“How about you? Have you been sleeping at all?” She was pretty sure she knew the answer; but it felt right to ask. Twilight put things off when a problem hit close to heart. Sleeping was normally first, eating came next…sanity would be close behind.

“A little, before and after her episodes. Spike set up a second bed in our room. Not that she uses it, she’s been sleeping with me in our bed.” Twilight smiled, highlighting the lines under her eyes. “Still room in the bed for some awesome.”
Rainbow Dash smiled back, Twilight was doing her best not to make her worry. “I miss you too Twi, I’ll fly back to Ponyville today as soon as I can.”

Twilight shook her head; eyes opening wide. “I completely forgot to ask! How did the ceremony go this morning?”

Dash ran her forelimb through her multicolored mane; currently styled, smoothed and held back with a gold band. The Ceremony had been boring, long speeches, reading of oaths; there was a Wonderbolts fly over at the end, that had be totally awesome.

“Laaame, and waaaay too early for me.” She pulled her mane free and shook her head, letting it fall back into its normal if slightly less ruffled form in one smooth motion.

“The Wonderbolts did a fly over at the end! Now that was awesome! Captain Spitfire and Soarin lead two formations in a double performance! You should have seen it! Spitfire’s formation preformed an inverted spiral, while Soarin and his…” Rainbow stopped, Twilight was barely managing a meek smile, her eyes loosing focus as she struggled to follow her marefriends words. “Hey Twi, didn't you say these communication spells take a lot out of you?”

Twilight nodded, an act that almost toppled her over. “It’s ok Dash, I want to hear all about it.” The purple alicorn righted herself, though her eyes where half shut at this point.

Dash’s heart broke; Twilight was hurting herself just to hear her fawn over a bunch of pegasai in unitards; awesome pegasai in awesome unitards. “Twi, get some rest. We’ll talk this evening.”

Twilight didn’t need to hear more apparently; the ethereal projection smiled, closed its eyes and begun to fall forward. Dash moved to catch it on instinct only to be covered in a burst of iridescent powder as the magic faded. Duh, Dash, projection not real. Still, best. Spell. Ever! So much better than waiting for letters even those sent by Spike.

“Captain Crash!” ...Huh?

Her eyes narrowed and she spun around wings erect; to see the smug face of Soarin trotting towards her pulling his flight goggles off. “Nice duds, Dash.”

“Soarin, if it was anypony else I would have clocked you!” her disposition softened as she leaned back against the palace railing.
“Good to know, I’ll have to see how far I can push that.” He poked her in the ribs with his forelimb through her red captain’s shirt; chuckling as she suppressed a reaction from what had clearly been one of her ticklish points.

“Ponyfeathers…Did you come down here to torment me Soarin? I thought that was Spitfire’s job, or has she given you some slack on that leash.” The blue mare grinned back at her fellow Pegasus.

“Ouch RD, Ouch.” Soarin pressed his chest as if he had been wounded. “I think I felt that one.” Both pegasai descended into a fit of laughter. “I overheard the tail end of your conversation, the princess ok?” his demeanor was still cheerful; hints of concern managed to worm their way into his voice as he posed the question.

Rainbow tossed her head back, looking strait up into the clear blue sky. Eyes gently sealing shut she took a deep breath of the clear mountain air. “Twilight? She’s fine, just running on fumes I guess. Our daughter’s been having nightmares.”

“Nightmares? All foals have nightmares now and then.” His tone betrayed the fact he clearly didn’t understand. She couldn’t fault him for that. Like all of the Wonderbolts, she knew all about his past from the fan magazines, interviews and biographies. Soarin was a third generation Wonderbolt; single and a notorious marekiller; no way he could wrap his mind around what had happened to Scootaloo.

“She’s been having them non-stop for about a month.” The statement was so deadpan Dash wasn’t convinced that it was her who uttered it. Truth was she wasn't sure she knew how wrap her mind around all the misfortune that had befallen Scootaloo in her short life. Abusive Parents, callous siblings, someone was talking to her? Then being sold out by said parents for booze no less…Dash shook her head, no she could wrap her mind around it.

She just didn't want to.

“Yo, Dash, you in there?” Soarin was waving his foreleg in front of her. She snapped her eyes open and out of her thoughts.
“What?” she spat with a bit more venom than she intended.

“Whoa Dash, I’d like to keep my head attached! I didn't mean to offend. I was just saying you know now that I have my own squad I get to pick where we are based out of.” Soarin winked as he replaced his flight goggles.

“Wha?” she wasn't following, still caught between her unintended barb, the dark place her daughter was still in, and the state of her mare friend.

“Well, Ponyville’s getting an air field, shame for it to go to waste.” He grinned before shooting off into the sky.

An airfield?! In Ponyville? Awesome! A Wonderbolt’s flight in her adopted hometown? Double Awesome! She was still worried about her daughter, Twilight too; but the good news sent her over the edge; Captain Rainbow Dash of Princess Twilight’s Royal Guard, Reservist Wonderbolt, bolted into the air giggling madly. It felt good, very good; she had it all! And why shouldn't she? She was Rainbow Dash, the most awesome of all awesome pony’s to live!

She righted herself in the air facing Ponyville. She was right? The elation of the news faded almost as quickly as it came. If she was so awesome why was she only a reservist Wonderbolt. Dummy, it’s because your also the captain of Twilight’s guard now…she frowned at her own thoughts. You can’t do both full time. Sure I can! I’m Rainbow Dash! She chided herself forcing a smile against the air as she sped home. I’m Rainbow Dash; she continued to think. I can’t help my daughter sleep, I can’t take the worry away from Twilight…her air speed fell as did her spirits.

I can’t be a Wonderbolt full time without leaving Twilight’s side, I can’t be her Guard Captain if I’m not around her all the time. She shook her head, no, nope, nadda, no way; not going down that path. She squinted her eyes as she forced her wings to push her back to her normal cruising speed. I’m Rainbow Dash, I’m the most super awesomest pony to fly, walk, talk and do a whole lot of other things better than the best in all of Equestria! Heck! Maybe even the whole world! Yeah! That’s who I am! She pushed herself harder and her thoughts out of her head; focusing on speeding home and her new family.

To any that could catch a glimpse of the multicolored blur that streaked across the skies. They would have caught her trademark cocky grin plastered across her face; completely oblivious to the fact that Rainbow Dash, Element of Loyalty was running blind towards her future and away from her own doubts.

***

Rarity stood, fidgeting at the Ponyville Train station; recently repaired to the point that lighter passenger trains could finally come and go, but still woefully behind schedule in regards to freight. A capability the town needed desperately needed, for food if nothing else. The situation was absolutely dreadful! Truly! Why, she was re-using fabric from last season! Granted she was able to make it work, with her normally amount of flair.

She continued to fidget, aware how terribly unladylike it was yet equally oblivious to the ringing of the bell foretelling the arrival of the train from Manehatten, the nip of cold in the air that penetrated deep in defiance of both her scarf and black turtleneck, or even the rapid sky bound approach of a rainbow hued blur from the direction of Canterlot. The fidgeting continued as did her lack of attention.

Unfortunately she couldn't just “make it work” with everything as she could with fashion; as fabulous as she was when it came to creation, design and improvement her talents ended somewhat spectacularly.

“Spectacular Darling! Simply spectacular!” She muttered, she had used those exact words to describe her vision for a new Ponyville to the princesses and all gathered when they very publicly asked her to lead the reconstruction. And in truth, it was just that. Idea after idea had come crashing into Rarity’s head then to paper and the hard working hooves of the construction ponies. A Gust of wind blasted across the station, dragging with it debris, and seemingly the rising night as Celestia began the process of lowering the sun for the evening. Rarity, rather than responded by shivering or casting the leaves from her mane, continued to fidget. She didn’t need to turn to see her handiwork on the town behind her. It was as clear as day within her minds eye; burnt straw roof tops had been replaced with ceramic tile of red and gold. Alabaster walls once crushed replaced with both embellished stucco between carved wooden braces that in a few words, where simply divine.

She cringed as her mind too her to the next part of her task that she had failed so amazingly, willing back tears that just wouldn’t do for a lady like herself; much less the mess it would make of her makeup. Between the new homes, businesses, civic structures laid a mess of piping, cement bags, rebar and other uncouth objects she didn’t even know the name of. Designing the aesthetics, converting old buildings as part of the repair had been easy; barely taking two weeks only delayed by the delivery rate of supplies. The other side of her task however, designing and replacing the infrastructure? That had proven to be beyond her talents; resulting in a rather embarrassing and frankly unsanitary…eruption a day prior. She continued to fidget, biting her lower lip just shy of drawing blood unaware of the train screeching to a halt before her.

She needed help; not that she would admit it; not after her boasts before the townsponies and the princesses. Not to mention Applejack and Rainbow Dash, those two would never let her hear the end of it. Stiff upper lip Rarity, she nudged herself mentally taking the moment to wrap her forelegs around herself finally acknowledging the terribly persistent cold that nightfall brought. She was a lady; and ladies where reasonable, when fashionable to do so at least. She had been less than such when the mayor had informed her she had requested assistance in the reconstruction, she reminded herself that she didn't make a scene at the temporary town hall, she silently thanked herself for that modicum of self-control, from where it came Rarity had no idea. No she had waited until she was back behind the rebuilt Carousel Boutique to fall upon her crying sofa and begin her theatrics for both her own mental well-being and the disinterest of Opalescence.

The mayor had requested a Civil Engineer be dispatched to assist in the reconstruction, but to a pony like Rarity; whose mind was practically bound to Canterlot in attitude had received the information as replace or take over. She released her lower lip, feeling the pressure build, still beyond the sounds of ponies exiting the evening express. She would have come around to the realization herself, it’s not like she was twilight who lost her sense of composure a revelation of a difficult problem!
She blushed at the thought, embarrassed. Now Rarity! You should be ashamed! Thinking of Twilight Sparkle in such a way! She shook her head; once again fighting back tears. She would not break down here, dramatics; as cathartic as they were had lost some their luster this past month as her friends had become engrossed in the minutiae of the recovery. Sweet Celestia what she would give to hear Applejack’s drawl mocking her for being too emotional or some nonsensical babble from Pinkie Pie to put her troubled mind on hold.

“Miss Rarity?” she ignored the voice speaking her name.

It was partially her fault, perhaps a tad more than partially. She had no real excuse not to see Twilight in her new home, the Alicorn was taking the time to unpack the dozens of books being shipped in from all over to fill her new library that in defiance of all that was aesthetically acceptable made up the bottom three floors of her palace. Pinkie was also beyond excuse for not having the time. The confectioner had decided to finally move out from the Cake’s spare room giving it over to one of the now growing twins. She had decided to pursue her party planning full time, purchasing a home of her own from which to operate out of; and yes, while it did keep her busy, after all whom didn't want a celebratory We avoided the apocalypse party organized by none on than the element of laughter. She would have had time for Rarity had she stopped by.

“Miss Rarity? Excuse me.” What was that ghastly noise! Never she mind; she had wallowing to do and for once she knew exactly what to wallow in.

Applejack, well she was truly busy. She would have made time for Rarity even though she could hardly spare it given the circumstances at Sweet Apple Acres. That left Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy; the pegasai could be excluded from her emotional self-flagellation. They were both in Canterlot one for an honor and one for…A lady didn’t even think such words. Fluttershy could do as she pleased, even if Discord didn't deserve it.

“Miss Rarity!” She snapped her eyes open, when had she closed them? Before stood a pegasus; well, a rather handsome, toned and sharply dressed pegasus stallion to be exact.

“Oh my, you will do nicely.” She absently muttered a coy smile playing across her features.

“Excuse me?” he asked, she cringed. While this pony certainly was strapping a uniform steel grey coat that was one shade too light for winter and two shades too dark for summer creating an amazing shade to conflict with his sandy brown mane possessed of a rebellious blonde streak. His voice had all the melodious harmony of a dragon gargling gemstones; deep in its…his perfectly broad chest that possessed just the right amount of muscle that his perfectly fitted travel suit did nothing to hide. Simply to die for! If not for that voice.

“Nothing Darling, Nothing at all! Are you S.B. Worth?” This time her smile was genuine and response hopefully not as embarrassing as her last.

“You caught me Miss Rarity, I am sorry to knock you out of your standing nap.” The grey pony’s gravelly voice did little to hide his apparent amusement at his own joke or the observation he had caught her in.

“Oh pish posh; Think nothing of it! And please, call me Rarity.” The trains horn chose that exact moment to blast, nearly startling her right out of her perfectly moisturized skin.

“Rarity it is then, please call me S.B.” he took a look over her shoulder as the last beams of sunlight touched Ponyville, and for a moment grew distant. She knew that look herself, she had seen it in the mirror many times over the years. He was creating in his mind, building off what he saw.

“Divine isn’t it? A thing of beauty!” Rarity, beaming with pride turned to allow him a better view, well as best as anypony could get at this hour of her Ponyville.

“It is certainly a thing.” He grated in full deadpan eyes still unfocused, but casting downwards.

Rarity stared at the Pegasus, mouth agape. Did he? How dare! Why I never!

She fumed calling upon what hidden reserves of self-control not give him a piece of her mind right then and there! The nerve! Arriving late in the evening! Interrupting her wallowing! Unforgivable! Being a practical dreamboat of a stallion with those amazing muscles! Well, maybe slightly forgivable.

He turned to face her directly; catching impossibly the last sunlight of the day as it reflected off his emerald green eyes, prompting a blush from the white mare and the thought; completely forgivable.

“Rarity? Hello?” That voice; ugh, why did the handsome ones either have to be stupid or whatever this pony was.

“Yes, Darling sorry! I was caught in the moment” She chuckled and started down the ramp towards town.

“Ah well, far be it for me to interrupt a moment, especially given how rare they are in any given day.” He trotted next to her as they moved out of the station, his spirits where certainly high as was her eyebrow, blood pressure and when she caught a glance at him, heart rate.

Sweet Celestia, why did he have to be so handsome!

Author's Note:

Here is chapter two!

This time, the title is terrible french for "My Work, Thankless"

As always I have no editor and write a lot of this while medicated from the cancer treatment. So please, please feel free to point out errors of any kind!

This is also the chapter where I introduce the first of three OC's to the story; don't worry he's not going to be shipped with Rarity; Oil and Water.

The Next chapter will follow the same format I think, Sombra, then back to the mane six or someone close to them. I'm using these opening chapters to try and build a world from multiple perspectives rather than let one viewpoint tell it all; which while fun can be challenging especially when writing from Dash's perspective.

Anywho please comment! critique! or criticize! I love discussion and hearing what people think!