• Published 28th May 2014
  • 7,112 Views, 871 Comments

Aftermath of the Blanks - HumanSVD



Battle of the Blanks is over and the aftermath has left many scars. Can the man who fought the Battle help heal the wounds? Or will he succumb to a new battle? One for the hearts and minds of ponies.

  • ...
24
 871
 7,112

The best part of waking up...

The sun rose slowly over the visible horizon, soft golden rays gently covering Sweet Apple Acres. The animals on the farm and near began their routine as they always had for many years. The birds awoke and left their nests, cheering happily while seeking worms for their young chicks. The rooster that inhabited the farm began his morning ritual of alerting all nearby that morning had arrived.

For Apple Bloom, the morning was a welcome greeting, which meant the chance to enjoy spending the day with her best human friend. She needed no prompting from her sister or brother or, as Celestia forbid, her grandmother to wake her up. After making her bed with a smile, Apple Bloom excitedly knocked on Konrad’s door while shouting,

“Wake up! We got a whole day to spend! It’s mornin’ Konrad!”

No answer came from the other side of the door.

“Didn’t you hear?! It’s mornin’ and-”

Her sister’s hoof pulled her own away, preventing Apple Bloom from knocking any further.

“Let him stay in Apple Bloom. He was mighty plum tuckered last night.”

Not happy about it, Apple Bloom pleaded,

“But-”

“No buts, Apple Bloom! Let him rest some more and meet us downstairs. It’s breakfast time, and I reckon he’ll change his tune when he smells pancakes.”

While pancakes were Apple Bloom’s favorite, she wanted to enjoy them with Konrad.

“I want to spend time with him! Is that too much to ask?”

A slight gurgling sound could be heard from her stomach, causing her to blush. Grinning, Applejack followed up,

“C’mon, you whippersnapper! You can help me make them.”

Smiling, the two sisters walked into the kitchen to cook breakfast. After about a few minutes of preparation, Big Macintosh slowly walked into the kitchen, yawning and struggling to open his eyes while having a bad case of a messy mane. While being a strong and reliable stallion, Big Macintosh often suffered from “slow starting,” as Applejack put it.

“Morning, Big Macintosh! Did you sleep well enough?”

Weakly replying,

“Eeeyup...”

Taking that queue from her brother, Applejack quickly heated water in preparation for coffee. Like any able-bodied stallion, Big Macintosh needed coffee to get a good start in the morning, and a day off was no exception to this personal rule. After the water was ready, Applejack took out the old Prench presser, and delicious coffee for her brother was ready. Taking a sip of the miracle cup, Big Macintosh’s attitude and groggy was replaced with his signature smile and relaxed demeanor.

Apple Bloom giggled at her brother’s grogginess and continued to mix the pancake batter. Somehow, it reminded her of Pinkie Pie whenever she was sad and happy. In some ways, it was almost as if he was a different pony whenever he had coffee, similar to Pinkie Pie when she took sugar. After finishing the pancake batter, Apple Bloom set it aside, cleaned up her kitchen area, and prepared the table.

“Well, I’ll be! You youngins whipped this table up real fast! Now, where’s that human stallion?”

Apple Bloom walked over, hugged Granny Smith, and pulled the chair out so she could sit down.

“And while you’re at it, please pour me a cup of miracle.”

Nodding, Applejack quickly poured her grandma a cup of coffee, who happily took it.

“Pancakes are almost done. And Konrad’s still asleep,” said Applejack as she continued to flip the pancakes while heating a small cup of syrup.

“Yeah, he won’t wake up! I knocked on his door, but he didn’t answer!”

“Eeyup, your knocking woke me up just fine. I reckon he’s just that tired.”

“But I wanna spend time with him! I wanna show him the barn and the clubhouse! It’s not fair! Just not fair!”

Taking a few sips of her coffee, Granny Smith closed her eyes and pondered, making everypony in the room wonder what was going through her mind.

“I wonder what she’s thinking.”

Opening her eyes with a sly grin, Granny Smith turned towards Applejack and said,

“Applejack...make the Morning Apple Stack.”

Everypony else in the room stopped what they were doing, unsure of what Granny Smith had just said.

“Granny Smith, did you just say make the-”

“Morning Stack? Yes, I did.”

“THE Morning Stack? I wanna be sure.”

With a grin, Granny Smith replied,

“Yes! It’s what I said! Unless you forgot how to make it, that is.”

Apple Bloom and Big Macintosh looked at Applejack, who in return merely narrowed her eyes and replied,

“Challenge accepted.”

Within seconds, Applejack quickly moved her forelegs in a furious flurry of pouring batter, mixing a particular type of sweet butter and a secret pancake syrup mix forbidden to be shared outside the family. The special breakfast recipe was reserved for special occasions and was not something indulged in often. It had been a tradition of the Apple family to create and serve the stack to a family or close friend, a heartfelt appreciation of having the best breakfast the family could ever give.

If there was ever anypony who deserved it, it was Konrad for saving Apple Bloom.

“No way! He’s getting the Morning Apple Stack!? I hope he wakes up now! He’s just gotta!”

Before two minutes had barely passed, a massive and impressively finished stack of pancakes sat on the table. Everypony in the room stared at the perfection of a country breakfast in awe. Crossing her forelegs in satisfaction, Applejack smiled and said,

“I reckon that’s a new record.”

Apple Bloom sat in her chair, hoping Konrad would come down the stairs and into the kitchen. Everypony else sat down and took their servings of pancakes. Before anypony could indulge, thudding steps could be heard from the stairs. Apple Bloom smiled when she saw a groggy human rubbing his eyes. He looked much like her brother, who needed coffee in the morning with less of a messy mane.

“I sensed a presence I have not felt since…well, forever ago.”

His eyes focused with precision on the stack of pancakes before him and said,

“I knew it…I can always sense pancakes.”

Apple Bloom asked cheerfully,

“Oh, cool! Is that like a sixth sense of humans?”

Smiling while still focused on the pancakes,

“No Apple Bloom. It’s just my thing.”

Applejack and Granny Smith giggled while Big Macintosh smirked before taking another sip of his precious coffee.

“Well, don’t just stand there like a tree! Come and join us! This stack is here for you, mister.”

Before anypony could react, the seat was filled with a man, armed with a fork and knife in his hands and ready to combat the pancakes before him. The fork stopped just an inch away as the man noticed everypony was staring at him, eager to see his reaction to the perfection of pancakes before him. Taking a rather large bite, Konrad slowly chewed the pancake and savored every second of it. His eyes opened wide as his brain processed the sheer perfection of the breakfast masterpiece.

“Well? Whatcha think?” asked Apple Bloom.

After swallowing the first bite, the man had a neutral expression, worrying the Apple Family. Slowly, a smile formed on his face before replying,

“It’s sheer perfection. The best I’ve ever had. Nothing I’ve ever had has come close.”

The dining table broke out in cheers of “yeehaw!” from the ponies while the man still held his fork and knife, ready to eat the rest of his breakfast. Granny Smith added,

“Well, no need to wait for us! Go right on ahead and-”

The elderly country mare had no time to finish her sentence as Konrad immediately began devouring the breakfast. The speed at which he consumed his food almost rivaled that of Pinkie Pie eating sweets without food splattering everywhere. In no time, the plate was spotless; not even a spot of syrup remained. Setting the utensils down and whipping his lips clean with a napkin, Konrad noticed the stares upon him.

“Yes?” he innocently asked.

Applejack answered in astonishment,

“You…you completely just…ate the darn thing!”

Confused, he asked,

“Yes? Did I do something wrong?”

“Oh, nothing; you only beat Applejack’s eating record like a stallion. I haven’t seen it done before.”

As Granny Smith and Apple Bloom giggled while Applejack blushed, beat red and replied,

“Granny!”

“It’s true, though! You do eat faster than all of us!” said Apple Bloom.

Applejack held her head high with a slight blush while Big Macintosh watched in amusement. Konrad asked in confusion,

“I’m…sorry?”

“Don’t be! You’re a young stallion. Ain’t anything wrong with that, and have some more if you want.”

“Yeah! Have some more Konrad! We don’t like to keep leftovers.” added Apple Bloom.

Shrugging his shoulders, the man replied with an appreciative smile,

“Okay. Thanks! This was really overdue for me, honestly. I haven’t had a good breakfast in a long time. It’s usually just coffee and some boring toast before I head to work, and I feel terrible later before lunch. Such is city life and all that it comes with.”

As everypony else continued to eat their breakfast, Apple Bloom couldn’t help but take the opportunity to learn more about him.

“You lived in a city? What was it like? Was it like Manehatten?” asked Applebloom as she took a bite of pancakes.

Konrad laughed, causing confusion at the table. Before Apple Bloom could ask, the man apologized before answering,

“Sorry about that, Apple Bloom. The name got me for a second.”

As curious as a filly could be, she asked,

“Why? What’s so funny about the name?”

Signing, the man replied,

“We had a big city called “Manhattan” during my time. Well…it was a name of a borough inside a bigger city called New York City. Very flashy, and only the tough city folk can make it there. It had lots of big buildings and such, along with the best pizza in the world.”

Konrad frowned before adding,

“Or…it did, I should say.”

“Aw! He misses home!”

“I’m sorry, is that where you’re from?”

Taking a sip of coffee, the man replied,

“Nah, I lived in a smaller but still huge city called Raccoon City.”

“Raccoon City? Did they have raccoons there?”

“Heh, not really; they lived in the forests north of the city near the Arklay Mountains. But for the most part, it’s just a name the founders chose because they were lazy. Cool place to go hiking before it got kinda dangerous.”

Before Apple Bloom could ask, Konrad merely held up a finger and said,

“But that’s for another time.”

“Now, why does he not want to talk about it? What was dangerous about it? Was it like Everfree Forrest or something?”

“Um…okay.”

Seeing her younger sister frown, Applejack jumped into the conversation,

“Aww, cheer up, Apple Bloom. I’m sure he has his reasons. Besides, ain’t you excited about today?”

Her mood completely changed, and she once again was excited.

“Oh! I’m going to show you around the farm! And I can’t wait to show you our clubhouse!”

Grinning, Konrad asked,

“Oh, you have a clubhouse, huh? Sounds awesome. What’s it like?”

“It’s where my friends and I hang out! It’s the headquarters of the Cutie Mark Crusaders! YEA!”

“No shouting Apple Bloom.” chided Applejack.

“Sorry!” smiled Apple Bloom with a slight blush. “I really can’t wait to show you! It’s where we hang out and try to find ways to get our cutie marks!”

Taking a sip of coffee, Konrad asked,

“Please, tell me more.”


Breakfast was a success in the eyes of the Apple family. Apple Bloom spent the remainder of the time telling Konrad everything about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, from stories about her friends to their attempts to earn their cutie marks. It was a welcome change for Applejack to see Apple Bloom happy and not emotionally scarred from the terrible event two nights ago. Having Konrad around Apple Bloom made her happy, and the family would forever be indebted to him for saving her life.

When nothing remained of breakfast, Konrad tried to help clean the dishes. Despite him trying to be a gentlecolt, Granny Smith would have none of it and demanded that the honored guest leave the cleaning to her. After everypony else cleaned up and brushed their teeth for the day, Konrad stood outside the front door, taking in the sight of the farm. As Applejack walked outside, he turned around, taking notice of her.

“Hey, thanks again for breakfast. I appreciate it.”

Smiling, Applejack replied,

“No problem Konrad. Glad you liked it. How you holding up all things considered?”

Looking around, he took a sigh before replying,

“I’m still…adjusting. Still feel out of place being here but all things considered, I’m lucky as it could be worse.”

Applejack felt a pang of sympathy for the man, remembering he would never be able to go back in time.

“I understand you just fine. I used to live in Manehattan with my aunt and uncle. As a country filly at the time, I felt out of place. I can’t imagine living away from home for too long and would be homesick if I did it again. But you’re welcome to stay here as long as you want.”

Turning around to Applejack, Konrad smiled and replied,

“Thanks. I really do appreciate it. Don’t think I’ll stay here long, though. The Princesses want me to go to Canterlot, and it looks like I might be there for a while. But I promise I’ll come back and maybe help if you need it. I’m certain Apple Bloom would love it.”

Smiling, Applejack replied,

“That would be mighty fine. We certainly won’t say no to free help, and Apple Bloom would love it, as all of us would.”

In the distance, a Solar Guard could be seen down the small dirt road outside the Apple Family Orchard. Konrad and Applejack took notice of the Guard and spotted a few more around the farm several hundred yards away.

“Yeah…hopefully, things will die down a bit. I kinda feel bad they’re here on account of me.”

Frowning a bit, Applejack replied,

“Can’t say I like it, but I understand why and don’t feel bad on your account you hear? Now just where in tarnation is Apple Bloom?”

As if on cue, the door swung wide open, revealing an eager Apple Bloom.

“You wanna see the clubhouse!?”

Chuckling, Konrad replied,

“You know it!”

Before Apple Bloom could lead the way, Konrad picked her up and held her on his shoulders.

“Lead the way, Apple Bloom!”

“YEEHAW!” cheered Apple Bloom.

As the pair walked off towards the Cutie Mark Crusader clubhouse, Applejack smiled at the duo, happy as she could ever be at the adorable sight before her.

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/humansvd/media/applebarn_zpsemf41zge.jpg.html?o=0

Author's Note:

Need a photo hosting sight. I have art if Konrad holding Applebloom on his shoulders.