• Published 25th May 2014
  • 1,740 Views, 14 Comments

Welcome to the Family - chuck-vic-norris

  • ...
1
 14
 1,740

My child

It was two in the morning when the night club in Ponyville finally closed, to the DJ’s relief. Summer nights were tiring with school being out and people going on vacations. After locking up, Vinyl headed towards the back of the building where she parked her white, blue and black Honda CBR600RR motorcycle. While music was her calling in life, right now she would want nothing more than to rest in bed with her wife and soon-to-be child.

The couple made the decision to have a child of their own after their friends had one over a year ago. The couple was shocked when they heard their friend Bon Bon was pregnant. Apparently it was possible for lesbian couples to have children of their own if magic from a mage was present. Lyra and Bon Bon had never been so happy in their lives the day their daughter Tootsie Flute was born.

And soon Tootsie will have a little friend. Vinyl wore a goofy grin at the thought as she put on her helmet and started the ride home. The sight of the little one sparked a fire in the musical couple. The flame grew whenever they were asked to babysit the infant when Lyra and Bon Bon were overwhelmed with work. Vinyl and Octavia gave up their dream of having children once they married, but the thought of having a child of their own brought the two closer together and restored their hopes.

Vinyl and Octavia searched every book in the town library for the spell. With help from Princess Twilight, they had found the spell, and ever since Vinyl counted the days for when her wife would be due. The past nine months had not been easy for the couple, what with Octavia’s mood swings and strange cravings. Not to mention morning sickness Vinyl thought with a chuckle as she took off towards home. While the duration of the pregnancy had been brutal, seeing Tootsie Flute smile and giggle adorably made Vinyl know that it would all be worth it when the baby arrived.

Pulling up to the curb, Vinyl stopped the motor and killed the engine. She took off the helmet as she walked up to the front door of her home. It was a simple one-story house with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a patio up front. Parked in front of the garage door was a black pearl S4 Audi Octavia used to drive to orchestra practice.

Half way through the pregnancy, the couple realized they needed a bigger home instead of the cramped one bedroom apartment they had previously lived in. With the success of both their works, money was no issue and they instantly fell in love with the home. No sooner when they moved in did they set up one of the rooms for their baby. Recently they had installed a crib they received from the baby shower as a gift. A smile was plastered on the couple’s face after setting it up and did not wear off until the next day.

Thoughts of the baby room prompted Vinyl to run to the front door in excitement. Right when she arrived at the door, she jumped at the sudden yelp heard from within. Fearing something had happened to Octavia, she searched frantically for her keys in her jacket pocket. After fumbling with the keys and unlocking the door, she nearly knocked it off its hinges as she searched frantically for her wife. What greeted her was the sight of her wife in her sleep wear holding her belly and leaning against the wall by the kitchen. She rushed by her side and lifted her off the wall. “Octavia, are you okay?!”

Octavia was barely able to stay standing with Vinyl holding her up by her shoulders. She felt as if the baby was trying to split her in half. “V-vinyl…my w-water…”

Vinyl raised an eyebrow at her and looked at the kitchen floor to find it wet. “Did you spill water and slip?” she asked, oblivious to the signs that Octavia was due.

It was Octavia’s turn to raise an eyebrow at her wife. Vinyl’s obliviousness had temporarily put her mind off the contractions. “What? N-no, Vi-”

“Phew! That’s a relief! For a moment I thought you were in pain and sprained an ankle.” Vinyl smiled as if she solved a mystery to a case, blissfully unaware of her wife’s twitching eye.

“You idiot, I AM in pain but not from my ankles!” Octavia snapped. Her patience was now wearing thin. Were it not for the baby, she would have smacked Vinyl all the way to Canterlot with her cello.

“Huh? Then what’s wrong?” At that question, the pregnant woman snapped.

Vinyl had been through many bar fights and never so much as flinched at the threatening looks given to her by men and women alike. But at that moment, she thought she was at Death’s front steps when she saw the gates of Tartarus open in Octavia’s eyes. She quivered under her deadly gaze and silently hoped that Celestia would spare her body from any harm that was very likely to come in the near future. Sadly, her prayers were not answered.

With a strength she had developed from years of carrying her cello, Octavia lifted Vinyl off the floor by the collar of her jacket and unleashed a yell that would put Princess Luna’s Royal Canterlot Voice to shame.

THE BABY’S COMING YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“GET ME A FUCKING WHEELCHAIR RIGHT NOW!!”

Everyone in the waiting room jumped at the sudden voice. Facing the front entrance, they saw two women making their way to the front desk with the raven-haired one holding her swollen belly with one hand and the blue-haired one holding back the tears in her eyes from having her hand crushed by her wife’s god-like strength.

Nurse Redheart was at the front desk and quickly recognized the women and proceeded to look for a wheelchair. “E-easy ‘Tavi, just take deep breathes and calm-” Vinyl didn’t get to finish as Octavia grabbed her by her jacket and thrusted her face towards her.

“I’LL CALM DOWN ONCE I’VE SEEN THE FUCKING DOCT-AHHH!” As a contraction hit, her grip on Vinyl’s hand doubled, making the disc jockey whimper and kneel from the pain.

The nurse froze at the sheer volume of the voice but quickly broke out of her shock and brought in the wheelchair. “We need to get her to a room quickly.” Once Octavia was placed on the wheel chair, the nurse quickly searched for an available room. “I’ll retrieve the doctor once we place her in one of the beds.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“This is the third floor we passed with all the rooms filled! What’s with all the sick people?!” Vinyl exclaimed as they passed yet another fully occupied room. At this point she couldn’t tell if she was shouting from having her hand crushed or from being shocked that they hadn’t found a room by now.

“Since Ponyville was in charge of providing rainwater for Cloudsdale this year, many flyers who were involved caught the Feather Flu.” Nurse Redheart replied as she took a turn down a hall.

“Less talking, MORE SEARCHING!” Octavia urged the nurse while gripping all the more tightly on Vinyl’s hand. The nurse quickened the pace, for both Octavia and Vinyl’s sake. As if Princess Celestia heard their wishes, they finally found an empty room and both the nurse and Vinyl quickly yet carefully placed Octavia on the bed.

Seeing the amount of pain on the couple’s face, the nurse asked “On a scale of one to ten, how painful are the contractions?”

“I feel as if a minotaur was splitting me in half.” Octavia whimpered.

“My fingers are being forcefully fused.” Vinyl whimpered.

Not convinced, she quickly took a look at Octavia to see how dilated she was. “The baby is definitely ready. I’ll find the doctor and be back soon.” Redheart yelled as she ran out the door.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“WHERE’S THE BLOODY DOCTOR SO I CAN WRING HIS FUCKING NECK?! IT’S BEEN TWENTY MINUTES!”

“’Tavi, p-please… my hand…” Vinyl whimpered under her wife’s grip.

“Oh no, YOU GOT ME FUCKING PREGNANT WITH THAT DAMN SPELL, YOU WILL ENDURE THE PAIN UNTIL THE VERY END SCRATCH!!”

Yes ma’am…” was all Vinyl could say for fear of Octavia actually breaking her hand.

Seconds later the nurse arrived with the doctor and he noticed the state of the women. “Well it looks like I got here on time.” the doctor whistled.

“WE’VE BEEN HERE FOR TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES, NOW SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!!” Vinyl nodded fervently in agreement.

Sensing the urgency, the doctor proceeded to put on some gloves. “Alright, Octavia. On the count of three, I’ll need you to push with everything you’ve got. Ready? One, two, three!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Screaming echoed throughout the building all the way to the front desk. Nurse Redheart cocked her head at the sound and called another nurse. “Softheart, prepare an X-ray for Vinyl Scratch, and get the tools ready in case she needs surgery.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Octavia and Vinyl took a moment to catch their breaths when they heard sudden crying coming from the doctor. When they turned to face him, what they saw took their breaths away. In his arms was a baby girl bearing neon blue hair with lavender streaks. As the doctor calmed her down, the couple caught a glimpse of the sapphire eyes she was blessed with that shined brighter than any priceless gem in the world.

Vinyl stood up from her position next to Octavia’s bed and slowly stepped closer to the newborn baby, her daughter. Seeing the longing look in Vinyl’s eyes, the doctor said nothing as he gently placed the now quiet baby girl in her arms.

Taking a closer look at her daughter, Vinyl’s eyes swelled with tears. When her daughter’s eyes met hers, she felt as if she was falling in love again. Her heart melted at the sight of them and she felt as if it would explode any second from the amount of pride she had knowing that she helped made the baby. She wore the biggest smile on her face and her cheeks were aching, but she didn’t care.

She turned to face Octavia and slowly walked back to her spot near the bed. Despite how exhausted she was, Octavia silently asked for her wife to give her their daughter. The moment she was in her arms, Octavia began to cry. Her heart swelled now that she finally got to see her child for the first time. All the pain she endured was completely forgotten as she cradled the baby close to her heart. Like Vinyl, she felt pride that she was able to make this baby and bring her to this world. She welcomed the arms of her wife that encircled them both as she let loose more tears. Through the blurriness of her vision, Octavia placed a shaky kiss on her daughter’s forehead, closed her eyes and leaned against Vinyl for strength as she became overwhelmed with emotions.

Vinyl rested her head on top of Octavia’s and proceeded to stroke her daughter’s head, the hair feeling softer than silk. The baby quickly fell asleep under the gentle touch and combined warmth of her mothers. Vinyl reached down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead and whispered out the words she waited patiently to say for nine months.

“Welcome to the family, Melody.”

Author's Note:

Hey everyone!

This is my first attempt at writing a fanfic. I'm currently in the process of outlining another fic that will be much longer than this one. This is just something that came to mind a couple of days ago and I couldn't let it go. Needless to say, I'm happy with how it turned out. Feel free to comment and tell me what you liked/disliked. Any criticism or tips is welcome. I'm out.

~ CVC

Comments ( 14 )

Not bad for a first fic. Not bad at all.

there needs to be a prequel and a sequel!!!

Good fic, especially for a first one, with a good capture of emotions and a nice balance of humour and seriousness. :pinkiehappy:

4447262 I don't know about a sequel but a prequel...hmm, maybe...
:trixieshiftleft:
:trixieshiftright:

4447324 Thanks :twilightsheepish: I was worried about the humor, I've never attempted it before :applejackunsure:

awwwww. so cute

Awww so adorable.:heart:

5091220 Thanks! That's what I was going for :twilightsmile:

That was beautiful! :pinkiesad2:

5440617 Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :twilightsmile:

I have a soft spot for Octavia and Vinyl Scratch as a couple. University Days and Allegrezza were the second and third stories I ever read on Fimfiction, and the I just adore the concept of their characters and relationship. So as you can imagine, this story had an advantage over me.

Its extra interesting how the two are married in this story. I don't think I've read a single romance story where the couple is married, so I give points for creativity and originality, also for the concept of Octavia giving birth. As for how the story itself was written, I didn't spot any typos, and I was never bothered by anything in the writing. Though there was one case where Octavia and Vinyl both had separate dialogue in one paragraph, and this lead to a bit of confusion for me. I recommend you keep people speaking within separate paragraphs.

But originality and good writing is just a part of what makes a story. The plot itself is the most important part in my opinion. And from my point of view, this is great. The story deserves the comedy tag as I laughed out loud thanks to some of Octavia's dialogue. The story also had a very sweet ending, though I prefer it when a characters child is the opposite gender, it just feels a bit more creative for me, as it makes a child feel less like a clone of their parent. It doesn't really affect the story though.

In my opinion, this story isn't really on a spectacular level like Allegrezza or University Days, but its good enough for a like and a fave. I can even call it great.

8/10

5579201 I doubt I'll ever be in the same league as Allegrezza and University Days, they are amazing stories. I think they were the fics that first got me into TaviScratch. Watch and Learn was what gave me the courage to start writing about them.

The idea of them already married was simply something that came to mind during the writing process. Octavia yelling at Vinyl to grab a wheelchair was actually suppose to be the intro, but I thought it would be too abrupt and wouldn't provide the reader any idea of what the story would be about. As for the idea of Octavia giving birth, I actually got the idea from the fic Two's Company, Three's a Crowd, though in this fic, the scenario is different (I'll need to credit the author in the description :twilightoops:).

Though there was one case where Octavia and Vinyl both had separate dialogue in one paragraph

Fixed it :raritywink: Thank you for pointing that out.

I'm glad you got a laugh from Octavia's reactions. At the time the story was written, I had never really written comedy (any fic actually), so I'm happy it turned out well. For the ending, I needed something that would help bring the fic to a close, and what better way than fluff? :rainbowkiss: In terms of having a child of the opposite gender, I just went with the more realistic "no Y chromosome = no boy" approach. You make a great point in that it would be more creative.

Thank you very much for the comment, like and fave. Criticism is always welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed the fic :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment