• Published 5th Apr 2012
  • 23,017 Views, 1,678 Comments

My Little Pirates: Luffy's Adventures in Equestria - Fullmetal Pony



A One Piece MLP Crossover. Luffy finds himself sent to Equestria and must find a way back.

  • ...
77
 1,678
 23,017

PreviousChapters Next
Fluttershy Trembles! Training Commences!

One moment Fluttershy was going to the door, the next Luna was in front of her with her horn ablaze. Everything went white for a few seconds while Fluttershy felt a hot wind swirl around her. It was hot beneath her hooves as well. She shifted a hoof around and felt fine particles of sand move against it.

Her vision soon cleared to reveal a sprawling desert that stretched to a horizon rimmed with grey mountaintops. The sky lacked a single cloud. Its only adornment was a blazing sun that distorted the air near the ground.

Luna’s deep blue coat sharply contrasted with the fiery sands she stood on. Fluttershy whipped her head back and forth between taking in the environment and staring at Luna.

“W-where are we?” she asked.

“I believe sister said this is Buffalo land now,” Luna said. “It doesn’t really matter much, it’s such a barren place that no one really cares who controls it. Even a unicorn skilled in survival magic wouldn’t last more than a few days out here.”

Fluttershy gazed out across the sand, but the only disturbances she could spot were a few outcroppings of rocks. She breathed in deeply and felt the hot wind swirl around her, ruffling a few of her feathers.

“It’s so quiet,” she said after a moment.

A small smile came to Luna’s face. “I wanted to make sure there would be no interruptions.”

“I know, but for there to not even be tiny creatures…” Fluttershy stared out into the desert again. “It’s a little scary.”

“Your natural Observation Haki is truly skillful.” Luna turned to Fluttershy. “But while it is good to see your abilities in that area are already starting to bloom, that is not what we are here for.”

Fluttershy twitched a little from Luna’s tone. “S-so what are we here for?”

“That ability you call the ‘Stare.’ I want you to show it to me.”

“What?” Fluttershy squeaked. “Y-you want me to use the Stare on you?”

Luna shook her head. “Not immediately if it makes you nervous, but I need to see it so that I can understand what your level of control is. So, if you would.”

Luna took a step back. The hot wind continued to blow around them and it was silent for a moment. Beads of sweat formed on Fluttershy’s brow while she stared down at the ground. Luna waited for a minute just watching Fluttershy sweat before she lightly coughed. Fluttershy jumped a little.

“Forgive me if I’m breaking your concentration,” Luna said. “But I’ve heard your ability is slightly faster than this.”

“It… it is,” Fluttershy mumbled. “I… I just can’t turn use it out of the blue like this.”

Luna knitted her brow. “Hmm, I see. So you need some kind of catalyst. Fear not, I know some dragon hordes we ca—”

“No!” Fluttershy yelped. She paled and hid behind her mane again. “I… I mean, that’s a little extreme. I’m fine here! No need for d-dragons!”

“Well, I don’t want us standing here just sweating all day.” Luna’s eyes sharpened a little. “Don’t think taking you here for a personal lesson was an act of kindness. It is only to ensure that other ponies aren’t hurt should we actually get somewhere in our training. Now, I suggest you demonstrate your Haki or I’ll have to get creative.”

Despite the heat, goosebumps ran up Fluttershy’s legs. “O-okay. Um, I usually only use the Stare when one of my animals is misbehaving, so may—”

“Say no more.” Luna started to cast a spell. “I’m familiar with some unruly pets that have become nightmares for their owners.”

“Wait!” Fluttershy cried out.

The glow around Luna’s horn dimmed and she let out a snort. “You have ten seconds to explain.”

“I just think sending a pet into the middle of the desert would be a bit too much of a shock. M-maybe we could use a stand-in first?”

“Fine.”

Luna’s horn flashed and a small stone statue thudded into the sand. The fall buried a good chunk of it, but its harsh scowl and long ears still poked above the dunes. Fluttershy slowly stepped over to the statue and brushed away some of the sand. Bending her head down, she stared at it and then looked up to Luna.

“Is… is this Angel?”

“An approximation,” Luna replied. She tapped on one of the statue’s ears. “Now, he has raided your pantry and upset your other pets. Come at him!”

Fluttershy took a deep breath and stared down at the statue. Her lip quivered a little. “A-angel, that was very rude and y—”

Luna slapped a hoof across Fluttershy’s cheek. “He’s not listening to you! Show him who his owner is!”

“I-I…”

Luna slapped Fluttershy’s other cheek. “You have the power to stop him at any time. Use it! Put him in his p—”

“Shut up!” Fluttershy roared.

Her eyes sharpened and gained a sheen to them while her wings unfolded and stuck straight up. The sand directly in front of her rippled slightly as if a concentrated gust had blown over it. Luna’s hoof twitched and she pulled it back and blinked. With the Stare in full effect, Fluttershy crouched down so that she was eye level with the statue.

“You do not get to make a mess and disturb everyone else!” she screamed. “How many times do I have to tell you? If you do this one more time, I… I…”

The sheen vanished from Fluttershy’s eyes and she sunk into the sand. Luna stood silent for a moment before blinking. A smile came to her face and she laid a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“Well done. To make even a single limb of mine react without even targeting it is quite impressive. We’ll need to work on your range though so that i—”

Luna stopped at the sound of sobbing. She arched an eyebrow and bent her head down to see that Fluttershy was crying into the sand.

“What is the matter?” Luna asked. “That was a most wonderful demonstration.”

“I h-hate doing that,” Fluttershy hiccupped. “Every time, I… I just wish I could’ve done something else.”

Luna wrapped her hoof a little tighter around Fluttershy. “Sometimes force is all creatures will listen to.”

“B-but I just feel so angry when I do it.” Fluttershy curled her forelegs closer to her chest and let out a loud sob. “B-but I… I have to do it.”

“No, you don’t.”

Luna moved her leg around and brought it to Fluttershy’s face. She pushed back her mane and stared straight into her reddened eyes. Tears continued to flow down her face, but Luna didn’t look away.

“Heed my words,” said Luna. “Your skills are raw now and only come forth at times of anger and desperation. This training will fix that. Do not think I aim to make you some mad berserker. King’s Haki is the sword that only a chosen few may wield, and your movements will be controlled, precise, and calm. You just need to have the will to master your power, and I know you do.”

Fluttershy sniffled and managed to meet Luna eye-to-eye. A few more tears tumbled down her cheeks, but she managed to summon the smallest of smiles. “T-thanks.”

“A teacher must always encourage their student.” Luna backed away and flashed Fluttershy a grin. “That is what sister has said at least.”

Fluttershy’s smile grew a little and she nodded.

“Well, as I was saying,” Luna said. “The intensity of your Haki is quite astounding for somepony untrained. Your problem seems to be with range. Even at the earliest stages, King’s Haki tends to manifest outward in all directions of the user. Skilled and weathered masters can direct it, but that control is incredibly rare.”

“Um… okay?” Fluttershy whispered.

“Perhaps a demonstration would be best.” Luna got up and trotted a few feet away from Fluttershy. “Collect yourself, I am willing to wait. When you are ready, I want you to fly a good distance away, then land, and concentrate.”

“Concentrate on what?”

“Focusing on me would probably be best. Your spirit must be ready to withstand my assault though. If you given an inch, expect the hot sand to greet you when you awaken.”

“O-okay.”

After a few minutes of deep breaths and wiping her eyes, Fluttershy got up and jumped a few feet off the ground. She slowly glided over the sands, pausing every couple of yard to turn her head back and look at Luna. Whenever she did, Luna would raise her hoof and signal for Fluttershy to keep going. This continued until Fluttershy could barely see Luna’s leg. She hovered above the ground for a moment just be sure Luna didn’t want her to go further. She landed once she was sure Luna was remaining still, even if the distortions caused by the heat made it hard for Fluttershy to fully make her out.

Fluttershy dug her hooves into the sand and waited. Her eyes were glued onto the Luna’s distorted shape and she dared not break her concentration on it. With nothing around her, Fluttershy could only listen to her heartbeat thrum in her ears.

The heat distortions around Luna suddenly vanished. Even from afar, Fluttershy could clearly see her right down to the individual jewels that decorated her shoes. However, Fluttershy’s focus was locked solely on Luna’s eyes. They had gone from a deep turquoise hue similar to Fluttershy’s to a shocking shade while her pupils had lengthened into slits.

Luna felt the temperature drop a bit while the pressure of her Haki expanded outward to its maximum range. She blinked, returning her eyes to normal while the temperature began to return to its previous heat. The wind had temporarily ceased around her, leaving it quiet enough for her to hear the sand crunch underneath her hooves.

She lept off the ground and into the air. One flap of her wings was enough to clear the distance between her and Fluttershy. She landed a few feet away from Fluttershy, causing a bit of sand to kick up. She smiled at Fluttershy, who was still standing with her eyes wide open.

“You may have been at the edge of my range, but it is to your credit that you’re still awake.” Luna walked over and patted Fluttershy on the back. “So, what say you to that?”

Fluttershy remained silent. Luna’s pat had been enough to tilt her rigid form. She crashed to the ground, sending up more sand, but remained in the same stance with her legs locked in place and the rest of her body frozen. Only her jaw managed to move the tiniest amount, and she stuttered, “S-scary.”

Luna stared down at Fluttershy’s paralyzed body and then tapped her chin. “Well, you maintained conscious, so we’ll consider that a takeaway of today.”

“Y-yay,” Fluttershy said before her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she passed out.

Luna felt the wind blowing against her once more. She inhaled the dry air and gazed up at the blazing sun.

“Let us return to the castle. The sand is no place to sleep.” Her eyes went down to Fluttershy as they began to glow. “And perhaps we shall see what encumbers you.”

Author's Note:

Note: My Little Pirates: Doctor's Order's takes place between this chapter and the next one.
Next time, "Survive! Luna's Lesson and Ace's Conversation!

PreviousChapters Next