• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,892 Views, 234 Comments

My Little Investigations: Marehunter - Metool Bard



Four ponies seek the truth behind a vigilante gone rogue. I am one of them, and I hope we can save her.

  • ...
4
 234
 1,892

PreviousChapters
Epilogue: Heroes' Reprieve (M)

December 15, 14:45
Griffon Kingdom
Sword & Crown Cemetery
Spitfire's POV
***

There's an old urban legend about pegasi that dates back to pre-unification times. The legend is simply this: We always make it rain at funerals. This is not true in the slightest, but I do know where the legend comes from. It came from a military tradition started by Commander Hurricane when his father passed away. While he was being led to his final resting place, Hurricane had his soldier set up twenty one thunderclouds overhead. Each thundercloud was fired one at a time in succession, with the final one being fired just as Commander Hurricane's father was put to rest. This tradition became recognized as the Twenty-One Thunderbolt Salute, and it's a military tradition that's still observed to this day. Hence the urban legend of pegasi always making it rain at funerals.

Why am I talking about this? No reason, really. It's just something that always comes to mind whenever I have to attend a funeral. Misty Fly thinks that it's a defense mechanism for me so that I don't feel as much pain. I can't say she's entirely wrong. Funerals and me don't mix all that well, but sometimes, it's my obligation to show up. Kierra's funeral is one of those times.

I landed just outside the front entrance with Blaze and Misty Fly by my side. All of us were decked out in our dress uniforms, and Blaze and I even wore our Crosses of Unity; medals bestowed upon us by Ambassador Honor Bound for our service during the Ghastly Gorge Gauntlet. Pierre le Grand and Drake were waiting for us, both dressed in black. We all exchanged salutes.

"I'm glad you received my invitation, Capitaine Spitfire," said Pierre. "I was worried you wouldn't show, due to your own investigation."

"Don't worry about that. That's been taken care of," I said. "Besides, Kierra probably would've wanted me to attend."

"Indeed, she would have," said Pierre with a solemn nod. "Come, the service is about to begin."

He beckoned us forward, and we followed him into the cemetery. Headstones of varying shapes and sizes decorated either side of that path, and I shuddered. Looking at those things always makes me uneasy. I'm a pegasus; I belong in the sky. But, well, pegasi have yet to find a way to bury somepony in a cloud, so when we pass on, we're cursed to remain grounded for the rest of eternity. It's not exactly a comforting thought.

"So, what happened to Gypsy Moth?" asked Blaze.

Pierre let out a heavy sigh. "Thanks to your efforts, le Griffon Magistrat has stripped her of her privileges and sentenced her to solitary confinement until further notice. However, this oversight has dealt a severe blow to the reputation of Nemean. The wardens are redoubling their efforts to make sure nothing like that happens again."

"Good to know," I said with a nod. "And, what about your new recruit?"

"Privé Gilda has been sent back to Nemean to perform community service for the next few moons," said Pierre, heaving another sigh. "As such, the Proud Pride's debut in Equestria will have to be postponed."

I shrugged. "I suppose it's only fair. Even though Private Gilda didn't know what she was doing, a crime's still a crime. Still, I'm sorry that you guys didn't get your time to shine."

Pierre chuckled sadly. "It's alright, Capitaine Spitfire. These things cannot be helped."

Drake nodded in agreement.

"I guess not," I said. "Anyway, I hope the Griffon Magistrate isn't thinking of tracking down Nightmare-Do-Vile anytime soon."

Pierre raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

"She's, kinda dead," said Blaze sheepishly. "Did it to herself, really. It's a bit of a long story."

"Ah," said Pierre, tapping his beak thoughtfully. "I'll be sure to let le Griffon Magistrat know of this development."

"Please do," I said. From there, we continued walking until we reached a whole group of griffons sitting before a sealed casket and a freshly-dug grave. We all took our seats in reserved areas for the Proud Pride and the Wonderbolts. As we sat down, the skies began to grow dark overhead.

"There's only one thing I don't understand," said Misty Fly, furrowing her brow.

I tilted my head. "What's that, Mist?"

"Professor Kierra's audio journal seems a bit contradictory, now that I think about it," said Misty Fly, dipping her voice so as not to interrupt the service. "She seemed to bounce back and forth between being suspicious of Gypsy Moth and being concerned for her well-being."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Well, I think that speaks for itself. Gypsy Moth and Kierra were friends, but at the same time, Kierra knew what Gypsy Moth was capable of."

"Then, why did she accept a package from her?" Misty Fly inquired. "Didn't she think that she was up to no good?"

"Maybe deep down, she wanted to trust her," I whispered. "It's just like what happened between Rainbow Dash and Gilda. Even when it was revealed the Gilda was an accessory to the murder, Rainbow Dash didn't give up on her."

Misty Fly shook her head. "It's not the same, Spitfire. Professor Kierra voiced her concerns about Gypsy Moth quite clearly. She was afraid of her, yet at the same time afraid for her. I-I really don't understand."

Well, when she puts it like that, neither do I.

"I don't know what to tell you, Mist," I said. "I guess it's just one of those things we're not meant to know."

"You know what I think?"

Misty Fly and I turned our heads to Blaze. "What's that, Blaze?" Misty Fly asked.

"I think Kierra herself didn't know what to think," said Blaze, her eyes fixated on the service. "She must've been debating with herself up until the very end, just like we were." She then sighed. "Well, like most of us were."

I gave Blaze a concerned look. "You still feel bad about letting the past get to you, huh?"

"Kinda," Blaze confessed, twiddling her hooves. "I dunno, I-I just thought I had to prevent what happened last time from happening again. You were there, Sis; you understand."

I smiled and draped a wing over Blaze's shoulder. "Of course I do, Blaze. But you know what? Gypsy Moth is actually more afraid of you than you are of her. She's nothing but a paranoid coward who makes her pain everypony else's problem. But thanks to us, she won't be able to do that anymore. We stopped her, once and for all."

Blaze let out a sad chuckle as she leaned against my shoulder. "Yeah. You're right, Sis."

Just then, a low rumble was heard in the sky above, and I felt the first few droplets of rain bounce off of my muzzle and wings.

"Look, Spitfire. It's the Twenty-One Thunderbolt Salute," said Misty Fly.

I breathed out a small laugh. I knew she said that to take the edge off of the funeral service. She knows me so well. That's what I really love about my team. No matter what happens, I can always count on them to be there for me. And of course, the opposite is true as well.

***
December 15, 12:15 PM
Manehattan
Centrot Park
Octavia's POV
***

"Bum bum bum-ba-da-da-bum
Bum bum bum-ba-da-ah..."

Right from the first few bars, I could recognize why the Ponytones were such a sensation in Ponyville. These four ponies just harmonize together so well, and the melody is quite catchy. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head anytime soon.

"This is the life, huh Octy?" said Vinyl. "Just sitting here, laying out on the grass, and listening to the Ponytones. And we didn't even have to buy tickets!"

"Well, Sapphire Shores did have to organize this concert at the last minute, Vinyl," I said. "I'm actually surprised they managed to amass an audience at all."

"Pfft, what're you talking about?" said Vinyl, gesturing her hooves all around the field we were sitting in. "I'll bet plenty of ponies are getting in on this awesomeness just by walking past the gazebo."

I suppose she has a point there, but it didn't change the fact that she and I were one of the few ponies who actually showed up specifically for the concert. Which is a shame, really. Most of the ponies who made reservations at the Bent Trumpet for the original showing are truly missing out on something wonderful.

"Hey, Melody! Fancy meeting you here."

I turned my head to see Mike Check walking up to us with Babs Seed at his heels.

"Hello, Mr. Check," I said. "You came to see the show?"

Mike shrugged. "Why else would I be here? It's not like Sapphire needs anypony backstage."

"'Sides, no way was I gonna miss out on Sweetie Belle's singin'," Babs added. "Man, she's so good, she might end up gettin' her Cutie Mark!"

I'd comment about how getting a Cutie Mark isn't that simple, but I decided to hold my tongue. After all, who am I to shatter a child's fantasies?

"Oh, by the way, you might be interested in this," said Mike, pulling out a newspaper article. "Apparently, that Sojobo guy you caught is an international criminal. Some other nation called the Neko Shogunate has been wanting to catch him for years."

This isn't exactly news to me. After we defeated Nightmare-Do-Vile, all of us shared our stories with each other over dinner. Vinyl snickered.

"You hear that, Tavi? You're an international hero now!" she said.

"Sure looks like it," Mike said with a laugh. "Boy, Melody. You really are something. First the Manehattan Music Festival, now this."

I blushed. "I'm quite flattered, really. But if it's all the same with the rest of the world, I hope I never have to do anything like that ever again."

"Hey, I hear ya," said Mike with a nod. "Well, we'd better let you enjoy the music. Catch you later."

"Yeah, laters," said Babs, blowing back her combover.

With that, the two of them walked off. As they did, I could hear another voice join the chorus. I looked up, and my eyes went wide. Sapphire Shores had joined the Ponytones on the stage, and she and Sweetie Belle were launching into a call-and-response style duet.

"Everypony sayin' you should learn to express your voice,"
"But if talk doesn't seem like it's the answer, luckily you have a choice..."

I looked down for a moment to see Cookie Crumbles and Magnum turn to me. Cookie had a large smile on her face and tears in her eyes.

"That's my daughter up there," she whispered.

I smiled back. "You and your husband should be very proud," I said earnestly. "Not only is she a talented young filly, but she's very brave, too."

"Th-thank you for your kind words, Ms. Melody," said Magnum, brushing a tear from his eyes.

I simply nodded and turned my attention back to the wonderful performance. Seeing them happily performing right now, you wouldn't realize that they were part of a dastardly plot to assassinate me just the day before. Maybe it's the confidence spell at work, or perhaps they're just able to look past that now that everything is alright. Either way, I'm very happy for them.

Just then, I felt a hoof brush my back.

"You're pretty brave too, Octy," Vinyl cooed. "Even if you're a bit of a worrywart sometimes."

I chuckled and pulled Vinyl in close to me. "Thanks, Marshmallow," I said. "You really can be a sweetheart when you want to be, y'know?"

Vinyl sniggered. "Don't get used to it, Octy," she said as the first part of the performance reached its conclusion.

"Got the music in you!"

***
December 15, 11:14 AM
Ponyville
Golden Harvest's House
Amethyst's POV
***

"Carrot Top! Dinky! We're ho—"

"They're back, they're back!"

No sooner had Derpy and I had walked through the door than my little sister, Dinky Doo, came bounding in to greet us. I gotta tell you, seeing her cute smile as she gave us both a hug and a kiss just made my day. Dinky always has a habit of doing that.

"Aw~. We missed you too, Muffin," Derpy cooed, cradling Dinky in her forelegs.

"We sure did," I said, closing the door behind us with my magic. When I looked up, I saw Carrot Top was there as well. Unlike Dinky, however, she did not look happy.

"Where were you two?" she asked, tapping her foot. "Dinky and I were worried sick when you didn't come back from the Gala."

I let out a nervous chuckle and shrugged. "Sorry, Carrot Top. Things just kinda got out of hand at the Gala. It's a long story."

"Uh-huh," said Carrot Top, raising an eyebrow. "And are you two planning to tell us this story?"

Derpy blinked. "Of course we are, Carrot Top. Why wouldn't we?"

"Not right now, though," I sighed. "I can't speak for Mom, but I'm pretty drained. I think I'm gonna go upstairs and take a nap."

Dinky's expression drooped. "Aw. But I want to hear the story."

Derpy smiled and mussed up Dinky's mane. "Don't worry, Muffin. Ammy and I are just a bit tired. We'll tell you all about it over dinner, okay?"

Dinky nodded. "Okay, Mama."

Just then, there was a knock at the door. I raised an eyebrow.

"Are you expecting anypony, Carrot Top?" I asked.

"No, just you two," said Carrot Top, equally perplexed. "I'd better go see who it is."

"Here, let me," I said, turning back towards the door. I opened it up with my magic, and to my surprise, Rosco was standing right at the doorstep. This probably goes without saying, but I did not see that coming.

"Ah, we've got the right address. Good," said Rosco, clearing his throat. "I'll try to make this quick, Ms. Star. It's come to the Top Dog's attention that you and your motley crew were responsible for apprehending Dodger and bringing him back to us. As such, he thinks it's only fair that you get the reward. Desoto."

As if on cue, Desoto walked in with a disgruntled look on his face. He was carrying four brown sacks that rustled as he walked. Without so much as a word, he tossed two of the sacks at my feet.

"That's for you and your mother," said Rosco. "There should be twelve hundred and fifty gems in each; I counted them myself. So, think you could direct us to those other two ponies?"

"Oh, you mean Applejack and Pinkie Pie?" said Derpy. "Well, Pinkie lives at Sugarcube Corner, which is right in the center of town; you can't miss it. Applejack lives farther west, out on Sweet Apple Acres."

"Much obliged," Rosco said with a bow. "Well, you ponies have a nice day. Let's go, Desoto."

"I still can't believe we're even doing this," Desoto griped. "I mean, we shouldn't owe these ponies anything!"

"Hey, you heard the Top Dog," Rosco snarled. "A bounty's a bounty, and we have to pay up. Now stop your bellyaching and let's get a move-on. I don't wanna be here any longer than I have to."

Desoto let out a low growl, but ended up complying as the two moved off. I honestly don't know why they hate me so much after everything I did for their boss, but at this point, I'm just gonna let it go. I'm obviously never going to get into their good graces for whatever reason. With a shrug, I opened up my sack and took a peek inside. Just as Rosco said, it was overflowing with gemstones of varying shapes and colors.

"Ooh, wow. Pretty~," said Derpy, looking into her own sack with awe. "This is gonna buy me a lot of muffins!"

Carrot Top arched an eyebrow. "Is there something you two want to tell me?"

"Again, long story," I said.

Dinky smiled widely. "I bet you and Mama did something really nice to get those gems. When you do nice things for others, nice things happen to you in return."

Ah, a classic nugget of wisdom from the Zen of Dinky. The Circle of Niceness. I don't know why, but it's good to hear some philosophy that isn't pointlessly confusing; no offense to Kohryu or anything.

"So, what're you gonna do with your share, Ammy?" asked Derpy.

I shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe I'll buy some hot air balloon driving lessons so that I can learn how to work that thing."

Dinky gave me a quizzical look. "I didn't know you liked flying, Amethyst."

I chuckled and patted Dinky on the head. "Neither did I, Dink."

"Let me guess, another part of this story of yours?" said Carrot Top, maintaing her bemused glare.

I sighed. "Carrot Top, I understand you're mad at us. But I promise, it'll all make sense once we explain it."

Carrot Top let out a sigh of her own. "Alright, fine. I suppose I should give you two a break for now." She then smiled. "But just so you know, I'm really glad you're both okay."

"So are we, Carrot Top," I said. "So are we."

***
December 15, 9:13 AM
Canterlot Castle
Infirmary Wing
Twilight's POV
***

Right after dinner, I went straight to the alchemy lab to create some medicine for Mare-Do-Well. What I didn't know was that making this medicine was going to take me all night. Not only did I have to create the salve that would mend her core, but I also had to make an entire liter of ponunculus blood from scratch to mix in with the salve so that it would replace the blood Mare-Do-Well had lost. So, yeah. I really had my work cut out for me on this one. Luckily, my friends were all there to help out however they could. But even with their assistance, it wasn't until after breakfast the next day that the medicine was finally ready for use.

We all entered the infirmary as quietly as possible, making our way over to Mare-Do-Well sleeping in her bed. Her end table was overflowing with flowers from everypony who took part in the investigation. There was even a freshly baked muffin from Derpy Hooves and cupcakes from Pinkie. I, probably should've told them that ponunculi don't eat, but it's the thought that counts.

"Good morning, Mare-Do-Well," I said as softly as I could. "How are you feeling?"

Mare-Do-Well slowly opened her eyes and stretched herself out. "Mmm~. Still tired," she yawned.

"Well, I've got something that'll take care of that," I said, levitating the medicine before her. "Now, let me see your core."

Mare-Do-Well obliged. "Heh, feels like old times, doesn't it?"

"Yes and no," I said. "Okay, now this is gonna sting. Brace yourself."

Ever so carefully, I poured the entire contents of the beaker into Mare-Do-Well's core. She moaned and squirmed as the medicine did its job, patching up the cracks and replenishing her blood. After a few seconds, the core was whole again, and the luminescent liquid inside was just as bright as ever.

"There we go. Good as new," I said. "Of course, you might want to take it easy for a few days, just to be on the safe side."

Mare-Do-Well nodded weakly. "I suppose that's for the best."

"Oh, and we have something else for you," said Rarity, taking out Mare-Do-Well's costume. "Nightmare-Do-Vile's little transformation damaged your costume quite severally, so I took it upon myself to fix it. No charge, of course."

Mare-Do-Well chuckled. "It's just as well. I don't have any money." She then sighed. "Thank you all for doing this for me. I, really appreciate it."

"It's no trouble at all, Ms. Mare-Do-Well," said Fluttershy sweetly. "We're always happy to help."

Mare-Do-Well nodded, and then cast her eyes downward. "Listen, I want to apologize for my behavior. You know, when I was trying to sacrifice myself."

"We understand, Mare-Do-Well," I said.

Mare-Do-Well shook her head. "I don't think you do, Princess Twilight. See, it wasn't just Nightmare-Do-Vile's blows that caused me pain. It was the fact that all of you ponies were in danger, and I couldn't do anything about it. I-it was the most horrible thing in the world for me. So when I had a chance to prove myself, I just took it."

Spike scratched his head. "What do you mean by 'prove yourself?'" he asked.

Mare-Do-Well heaved a great sigh. "I'm a hero. It's my duty to protect ponies who are in peril. But if I can't do that, then what am I? Nothing but a mask placed over an empty shell."

Rainbow Dash flew right into Mare-Do-Well's face. "Whoa whoa whoa. That's not true," she scolded. "You didn't have to prove yourself to anypony. We all know you're a hero. Besides, we managed to kick major flank on our own. There's no shame in letting somepony else have the spotlight. In fact, you're the one who taught me that. Well, the original you, anyway."

Mare-Do-Well massaged the bridge of her nose with her hoof. "It isn't a matter of spotlights, Ms. Dash. I never cared about that. It's a matter of my purpose. I'm a ponunculus without a master. With only the original Mare-Do-Well's template to guide me, being a hero is all I know how to do. Without that, I just feel, directionless."

Applejack smirked. "Sugarcube, everypony feels like that every now and then. That's why you've got friends to point ya in the right direction."

Mare-Do-Well flattened her ears and knitted her brow. "Yes, about that..."

"You're worried about what Nightmare-Do-Vile said, aren't you?" I guessed.

Mare-Do-Well nodded. "She almost succeeded, you realize. She used the bonds I have forged with the ponies I care about the most to lead them into harm's way. Princess Twilight, you probably know better than I do. How do you reconcile this?"

On the surface, it does seem like a tough question. There's no denying that Nightmare-Do-Vile had us fooled for the majority of the investigation. However, when you get right down to it, it's really not that hard.

"Well, honestly, I think Nightmare-Do-Vile's demonstration was doomed from the get-go," I said with a shrug.

Spike blinked. "Really? 'Cause I thought she really had us going for a while."

"That's right, she did," I said, tapping my forehead smartly. "But let's look at the facts. Nightmare-Do-Vile was trying to get Mare-Do-Well to renounce friendship by showing that it could lead to destruction and pain. To do this, she posed as Mare-Do-Well and sent me a plea for help. Ideally, I would try to help my friend, and while everypony else was killed by the assassins Nightmare-Do-Vile recruited, I'd end up punishing the wrong mare."

"But, wait. Didn't the exact opposite of that happen?" Pinkie inquired.

"Correct, Pinkie," I said with a nod. I then began pacing back and forth. "Nightmare-Do-Vile's demonstration fails on two levels. First off, while our friendship with Mare-Do-Well was a motivating factor in our investigation, it wasn't the only one. We were also motivated by a sense of justice; something that Mare-Do-Well thrives on. Somepony was causing havoc and hurting others, and we felt it was our job to stop her."

Mare-Do-Well tapped her muzzle thoughtfully. "I think I'm with you so far, Princess Twilight. What is this other level?"

I turned to Mare-Do-Well and gave her a warm smile. "Simply this. Even if it was friendship that led us into those traps, it was also friendship that got us out of them. Think about it. The Wonderbolts saved each other from the exploding cloud, Sapphire Shores and Octavia's concern for one another kept foiling Sojobo's plans, Applejack and Pinkie Pie stood by Sparkler's side and against Dodger Dragonvest's hurtful lies, and it was your display of emotion for your friends that revealed who the impostor was. Without the magic of friendship, none of us would've pulled through."

There was a brief pause as Mare-Do-Well allowed my words to sink in. When they did, I could see her eyes sparkle.

"I understand now," she said, nodding contemplatively. "When you get right down to it, Nightmare-Do-Vile's demonstration didn't prove anything at all."

"Well, it did prove one thing," said Rarity, wrinkling her nose. "It proved how twisted and demented her mind was to think of such a plan in the first place."

"Actually, I wouldn't go that far, Rarity," I said, furrowing my brow. "I remember the entire time we fought her, she didn't display much in the way of emotion until her core started to break. She didn't even enjoy the mind games she played on Mare-Do-Well. In the end, she was nothing but a machine following the orders of her mistress."

Rainbow Dash snorted. "If that's the case, it's kinda ironic that the pony who gave her those orders ended up being a pawn in the entire scheme."

"Indeed," Mare-Do-Well concurred. "Then again, I'm not that surprised. Gypsy Moth did put Nightmare-Do-Vile into stasis for a reason, after all."

We all nodded in agreement. After another pause, Mare-Do-Well slowly got out of bed.

"W-wait a minute," said Fluttershy. "Where are you going?"

"Relax, relax. I'm not planning on taking off just yet," said Mare-Do-Well as she started putting on her costume. "I just figure that since I've recovered some of my strength, this would be a good time to visit an old friend."

I knew right away whom she was referring to. "You mean Pine Talon?"

Mare-Do-Well snickered. "Right you are, Princess Twilight. I've learned a lot about friendship from you today, so I think it's best to share it with him. He could use that knowledge to convince Princess Celestia that he's ready to be reformed."

I smiled. "That's very noble of you, Mare-Do-Well. I'm sure he'll appreciate that."

"Right," said Mare-Do-Well, placing her hat atop her head. "Well, I'd best be off. Thank you all again for everything you've done."

"Aw, shucks. 'Tweren't nothin', sugarcube," said Applejack with a tip of her stetson.

"Remember what Twilight said about taking it easy, though," said Fluttershy nervously. "We wouldn't want you to get hurt again."

Mare-Do-Well chuckled. "Don't worry about me, Ms. Fluttershy. I don't plan on leaving Canterlot until I'm ready to fulfill my purpose once again."

"That's probably for the best, darling," said Rarity. "And do take care of that costume."

"And keep being awesome," Rainbow Dash added.

"Ooh! And tell your birdie friend we said hello!" Pinkie chimed in.

Mare-Do-Well nodded and tipped her hat. "I shall keep all that in mind. And of course, I'll know who to go to when I'm in need of repair."

"About that," I said. "I should probably mention that Golden Oak Library is gone. I have a castle now. It's pretty hard to miss."

"Um, noted," said Mare-Do-Well. "Well, I'd best be off. Fare well, my friends."

With that, she tossed up her cape and walked out the door. Huh. I do believe this is the first time I've actually seen her leave a room. Usually, she just vanishes when I'm not looking. I'm guessing it's either because she's not at full strength, or the fact that she's starting to shed her "mysterious" persona. If it's the latter, well, good for her.

"There really isn't that much difference between her and a real pony, is there?"

I turned around to see Celestia, Luna, and Kibitz standing before us. All of my friends bowed, and I had to tell myself not to do the same.

"Well, physically, there are a few differences," I said. "But when you look past the surface, I think you might be right, Celestia."

"Just some food for thought," said Celestia with a shrug. "Also, Kibitz has something to say before you head back to Ponyville."

Kibitz stepped forward and cleared his throat. "Y-your Highness, I-I just wish to say that I understand why you decided to lead this investigation now. As such, I apologize if I gave you a hard time."

I chuckled. "Don't worry about it. Just remember that there are times when a princess should be allowed to get her hooves dirty."

"Yes, quite," said Kibitz. "Um, would you and your friends care for anything before you go?"

"I think we're fine, thank you," I said. "C'mon, everypony. Let's try and make the next train for Ponyville."

"Right behind ya," said Applejack. With a final farewell to the Royal Pony Sisters, we headed off.

"Hooph~. I don't mind telling you that this entire ordeal has left me absolutely frazzled," said Rarity. "I'm heading to the spa as soon as we get home."

"Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea," said Fluttershy. "Although I'll probably want to check on my animals first. I haven't seen them in so long. I hope they're okay."

"Well, I'd love to join you two, but I'm gonna be pretty busy!" Pinkie chirped. "I need to plan a party for those neko guys once they become our friends!"

I raised an eyebrow. "You, do realize that political negotiations like that don't happen overnight, right?"

Pinkie shrugged. "Yeah, so? Doesn't mean I can't be prepared for when it does happen."

I, guess not. Then again, there really is no use arguing against Pinkie Pie's logic. Believe me, I tried.

"Y'know, I might actually drop by the spa, too," said Applejack, cracking her neck. "I'm still pretty sore from walkin' up and down all those mountains."

"I'll join you guys as well," I said. "I could really use something to take the edge off."

We then all stared at Rainbow Dash. After a pause, she sighed in exasperation.

"Ah, the heck with it. Guess I'm in, too," she relented. "Just, promise me nopony's gonna touch my hooves, a'ight?"

Rarity chuckled. "It's a deal, darling."

We all then shared a laugh as we left the castle. After everything was said and done, it really felt like everything was right in the world. All's well that ends well, I guess. Then again, I always get this feeling every time I end up saving the day. I've come to expect it by now.

And with that, our story draws to a close. On behalf of Captain Spitfire, Octavia Melody, Amethyst "Sparkler" Star, and myself, I thank you for sticking around to listen to our tale. I'm glad Mare-Do-Well managed to learn a valuable lesson about friendship from this adventure, and I hope you got something out of it, too. Now, if you'll excuse me, my friends and I have a train to catch. I'll leave you with this lesson. No matter how far you fall, you can always count on your friends to catch you.

"Next train to Ponyville! Allllll aboard~!"

Whoop! That's us! Gotta run, seeya!

***
Marehunter
~
End

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 29 )

I loved this sooo much :3

That was a wonderful story! The characters were all well-written and fun to be around and it was exciting to see what sorts of events would happen next. I'm eager to see what you will come up with next. Excellent work! :twilightsmile:

We're getting another story right? :fluttercry:

5142063 I'm not quite sure about that yet. I might end up doing a bonus case (similar to Rise from the Ashes in the first Phoenix Wright game), but for all intents and purposes, this series has come to a close. However, like I said before, that's not to say that another MLI series is out of the question. :duck:

I'm going to cry :fluttercry:

This series is probably one of the best and sweetest in my opinion. Not only are the worlds intricately designed with worthwhile characters and hidden twists, but the mysteries themselves engage the reader to recall those previous works and dig for more details.

I won't spoil the ending for those dear readers who are scrolling among the comments, but let me say that the My Little Investigators series is a wonderful mystery that can be fun and light-hearted at one moment while serious and enlightening in a whole other. From the various characters and backgrounds, you see a wide kaleidoscope of morals that seem superficial at first, but once you dig deeper, unveil something much more.

I am greatly saddened to see this series meet its end, but I feel that its departure is met with joyous tunes. Perhaps there's another mystery around the corner, but I feel rather satisfied with the conclusion.

Metool, although this story may not have as many likes as your others, I certainly feel that this is perhaps one of the best series I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Your characters, setting, and world-building all contribute to creating an amazingly fun and creative world free from the canons that some shows state. And yet, you manage to achieve a really great mystery without delving too far into the dark genre.

I will admit, this series will be one that I miss, but I'm glad I discovered it. And I also feel that this story is responsible for re-kindling my love for mystery. So for that, I say you've done an excellent job and I do hope you take your ideas to further heights and improve on your execution in order to deliver high-quality stories to those who search for them.

Best of luck out there, Mare Do Well.



cdn.mlkshk.com/r/D5YP

Well, I'm finally at the end. :fluttershysad:

This has definitely been a fantastic series, and a great story to conclude it. Like the precediing stories, it has great setting, plot, moments of action and heartfelt moments--all of which are driven by the characters and how well they are handled.

I'm sad that this series is apparently over, but I am reminded of a quote that I had read recently:
encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5TrJgOFEVwf4OyMpRX-LRWrVkvCvesfsYJxxOwuurdEwm6UIQ5g
I'm glad this story is here, and that I had the chance to read it. I look forward to the next tale you weave, whatever it may be. :pinkiesad2:

You know, I was honestly expecting one final bit from Mare-Do-Well's POV at the end. Sort of like an "after the credits" scene. True, it's really not needed; but it would have been fun.

I really enjoyed this series a lot, and I thank you for writing it. I also really love the world you've created, and would love to see even more things happening in it.

Though I read this off and on, it has been and is a great story. :pinkiesmile:

Good series, but I found a few things in the logic part flawed, such as fear of a diplomatic incident preventing Twilight's intervention, when Diamond Dogs vandalizing, attempting to coerce payment from, injuring, and abducting ponies isn't already a diplomatic incident; or why there wasn't a thought of contacting pan to help since it was his magic that was used.

5259223 The first contention doesn't really have much to do with this story in particular, but I'll answer them both here.

Keep in mind that in The Gemstone Godfather, Amethyst never knew who the true culprits were until the very end. All she had were evidence (which is not the same thing as proof) and hunches. If she beseeched a newly-coronated princess to go after the most influential Diamond Dog in the underground network for a crime he didn't commit, the political fallout would've been catastrophic.

As for Pan, well, I had plans to include him in this story, but I couldn't make it work. That being said, it's probably pretty hard to get ahold of a traveling minstrel like him. :applejackunsure:

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed this series despite these minor hang-ups. :twilightsmile:

5259392
I blew through all four in 2 1/2 days, so I just did one comment on the last one.


I know, but that's a pretty weak reason to not involve authorities, yet alone if it were a pony. Fear of reprisal is one. Twilight could at least be prepared on standby.

I can understand why there's be difficulty finding pan, but there was not a mention of it being considered.


Edit: iPhone response
Edit 2: Forgot the real instance of the aforementioned flaw: why she didn't just hijack Spitfire's body; or why the wind wasn't used more directly as a weapon (say... propelling weapons –even being the weapon – or for asphyxiation).

I have to know..... what was the song? My theory is the imperial march... but it doesn't make much sense.... uncover it please

5276141 You mean the confidence spell? *sigh* Alright, I'll give you a hint. Where have you seen Octy throw down before? :duck:

5259592 Well, that last edited contention is easy to explain:

Gypsy Moth's tactic was purely psychological. She wanted to create a specific scenario where Spitfire had to kill her own ally in order to survive, which is the cornerstone of the Tengu Dynasty (hence why it fell). Conquering Equestria was never Gypsy Moth's end goal; she was just forcing her own pain and suffering down everyone else's throats.

5276870 Damn villains and their illogical inability to realize they're outnumbered a lot to one.

Ri2

6189665 Sorry, I was referring to Blueblood. Hasn't Twilight met him before?

6189680 I'm sure she has at least a passing familiarity with him, but we've never seen her talk to him in person. :applejackunsure:

Ri2

6189835 Which doesn't mean she hasn't, but okay

Ri2

Well, that was a fun conclusion. Are there no more adventures for Mare-Do-Well, though?

6240652 As I mentioned before, I may do a bonus case similar to how Rise from the Ashes was added to the DS version of Phoenix Wright, but for all intents and purposes, the Mare-Do-Well Files have come to a close. :eeyup:

Ri2

6241468 Meanie.

6491443
Arrgh:twilightangry2:
Still, an excellent story!

This was a great series - you did an excelent job of devising the mysteries and to make the investigations work out. I really hope that we can see more of the MLIverse.

What would be Spitfire's Objection Theme?

7904278 I made it Highway to the Danger Zone, but it's hard to find an instrumental-only version of that song on YouTube. :derpytongue2:

its over? I can read another one now! :pinkiehappy: wait... its over?! but I wasn't finished enjoying it!!! :flutterrage:
my reaction still a week later:
:pinkiecrazy:
over all great story, great characterizations, and amazing plot. LOVED IT!!!

No mare escapes the Marehunter!
Do you get it?
DO YOU GET IT?! :pinkiecrazy:

11594006
Well, seeing as this story is old - link timed out. Some services do not keep pictures for eternity. Might have taken it down after a year or two, or something.

Login or register to comment