• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,883 Views, 234 Comments

My Little Investigations: Marehunter - Metool Bard



Four ponies seek the truth behind a vigilante gone rogue. I am one of them, and I hope we can save her.

  • ...
4
 234
 1,883

PreviousChapters Next
Fear and Fortune (O)

December 14
Time: Unknown
Location: Unknown
***

Mmm. Nnngh~. My aching head. Wh-what just happened? Where am I? How long was I out? And, why can't I move?

As soon as my eyes regained focus, I got an answer to that last question. And that answer woke me right up. Turns out that there's this bloody chain wrapped around my entire torso. Not only that, but I noticed that I was tied to a large tree out on a grassy knoll somewhere. But, I was just in Lincolt Center not a moment ago. I-I must've been abducted! I tried to scream for help, but a gag around my mouth prevented me from doing so. Wh-what the bleeding hay is going on?!

"I see that you're awake."

A husky voice made itself known as a large shadow blotted out my view of the sun. I looked up to see who it was, and my heart froze. Towering over me was a creature the likes of which I have never seen before. He was a large bipedal bird with raven black wings, a white tunic, piercing green eyes, and a long, stick-like nose (or, was it part of a blue mask? I really couldn't tell). He wore some sort of belt that looked like a chain, and he had a conch shell hanging from his neck like a hunting horn. I-is this one of those tengu things Spitfire mentioned? I-I thought she said they didn't take prisoners. Why am I still alive? Um, not that I'm complaining, mind you.

"You might be wondering why I have allowed you to live," said the creature, as if reading my mind. "Well, I see no reason to tell you. After all, what kind of hunter explains himself to his prey?"

Wait, did he just imply that he's been hunting me? And why did he sound so casual about it? Bloody nora, I've been kidnapped by a madman!

"To be honest, I don't see what's all that special about you," the creature mused, grabbing my face with his talon. "You carry no battle scars; no weapons; absolutely nothing that would pose a threat to anything sentient. Then again, a lot of you equines are like that, aren't you? It almost makes me wonder why you all haven't been slaughtered yet."

I winced in revulsion. Th-that just might be one of the most barbaric things I've ever—

Okay, now he has a blade at my throat. He has a blade at my throat! Why does he have a blade at my throat?! What did I do?!

"No. Sudden. Movements," the creature snarled. "Your time will come soon enough. But if you don't show some patience, you'll just make it worse."

So, just because I flinched, he thought I was trying to escape? Th-that's completely mental! Could he honestly be any more of a psychopath?!

"Hmm. Usually when I let my prey live for this long, they're trying to kill me," said the creature, pressing the hook-shaped blade against my skin. "Know that whatever you're planning, it won't work. I am Sojobo, the Kurama Tengu who escaped the execution of his clan. I have outwitted death; what chance do you have?"

I guess that answers that question. He honestly believes that after chaining me to a tree, I somehow have this ingenious plan to escape and do him in. Here in reality, though, I'm sweating bullets and trying desperately not to piss myself. I-I'm afraid to even blink.

Suddenly, there was a sinister chill in the air that caused me to shiver. I thought for sure that Sojobo would kill me right then and there, but instead, he withdrew.

"I'll be back for you," he said, taking the conch shell from around his neck. "Remember what I told you. If you make any sudden movements, my song will be the last thing you ever hear."

He then turned his back to me and began playing a tune on the conch shell (which I suppose would make it an ocarina). The melody was very eerie and disjointed, as if he were just playing notes at random. As he continued to play, sparkling smoke emerged from the shell and slowly enshrouded us in a thick mist. That has to be some form of Pan's Music Code, meaning he's most likely the one behind the attack on Sapphire Shores. Wait, if that's true, was Sapphire trying to protect me from this very scenario? Is this why she said I shouldn't have come to Manehattan? I-I just have so many questions, but I sure won't get any answers unless I find a way out of here.

But, what am I supposed to do? I-I can't fight him. Even if I wasn't chained to this bloody tree, he has that sickle and Pan's Music Code. What do I have? Nothing. Not even my cello. I-I wish Vinyl were here. I wish anypony was here. I-I don't want to die like this. I-I'm so scared. I...

Ms. Sapphire says that all I have to do is remember this song, and whenever I sing it, I feel like I can take on anything.

Sweetie Belle's testimony suddenly popped into my head. I also remembered that Sapphire said she used it herself in her battle with this ruffian. So, maybe I can use it here? I mean, if nothing else, it would clear my head a little. And it seems he's too preoccupied with his own song to notice me, at least for the time being. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. It's not like I've got any other options right now. Hmm, let's see. How did it go? Ah, yes.

"Hm-hm-hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm,
Hm-hm-hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm..."

As I breathed out the melody through my gag, I felt something stirring within my heart. The sensation spread throughout my entire body. As the sensation increased, my fear melted away. Who cares if I'm tied to a tree? Who cares if that bloody wanker has some sharp farming implement? That doesn't give him the right to do this to me! With Celestia as my witness, I will not die here! Not today!

With a sudden burst of strength, I broke through the chains that held me. Sojobo seemed to notice, as he quickly spun around and tossed his sickle at me. Oddly enough, it was attached to the chain around his waist. I dodged as quickly as I could, but my reflexes clearly weren't as great as his. The blade managed to slice off my gag and scrape my cheek. As I recovered my breath, Sojobo yanked the chain and tripped me with his sickle.

"So, you know the secret behind music as well," he said, swinging the chain around like a cowpony swinging a lasso. "I knew it was a mistake to keep you alive for this long."

"Then why do it?" I said with a snort, struggling to get to my feet.

Sojobo scoffed. "I still find no need to explain myself to my prey. You're going to die, anyway. You and all of those comrades you brought with you."

"I am not your prey!" I roared. "Neither are any of my friends!"

"That's what they all say," said Sojobo with a snicker. "And they all meet the same fate!"

With that, he threw his sickle at me again. This time, I was ready. I parried the attack, grabbed the chain in my teeth, and yanked it with all my might. Sojobo flew forward, only to catch himself with his wings. Shazbot, I forgot about that.

"Clever," said Sojobo, hovering over me. "But you forget that I outwitted death. Therefore, you have no chance!"

He then took his ocarina and played another series of disjointed notes. Suddenly, I felt something slicing up my face. I couldn't see what it was, but my word, did it hurt! With a yelp, I let go of the chain and fell to the ground. I-I'm starting to think that trying to take him on by myself was a bad decision on my part. Time for Plan B: Find the others.

I rolled onto my stomach just in time to dodge the sickle crashing down on me and broke into a full gallop. As I ran, I heard the chaotic melody of Sojobo's ocarina playing behind me. What's he up to now? I thought for certain he'd be giving chase. Is that what the spell's for? Nngh, I can't dwell on these things. I need my friends.

After running for a time, I recognized where I was. This was Centrot Park. He somehow knocked me out and dragged me all the way here without anypony noticing. Well, they certainly were noticing now. It's very hard to miss a frantic pony running away from a psychopathic bird creature. If he is still behind me; I'm honestly too busy fleeing for my life to—

"Gah!"

In my haste, I tripped and fell over something. At first, I thought it was a root, but then I remembered that I was on the pavement. I looked up and gasped in horror. Sojobo's sickle was looming over me, swaying back and forth like a cobra ready to strike. It lunged itself at me, missing me by a hair as I quickly shuffled back. Phew, that was too close. I need to be more careful.

I ran past the sickle and continued to find my way back to Coltlumbus Circle. All the while, I could hear the chain rattle against the pavement as the sickle slithered after me. Sweet Celestia, how long is that thing?! Was this the spell Sojobo used?

Before I could ponder this any further, the sickle swiped my hind leg and caused me to fall over. Before I could get up again, the full weight of a foot pressed against my back. Bollocks. H-he got me.

"I hope you realize what you've done," said Sojobo. "Now all of these equines will probably want to avenge your death when I'm done with you. I may just have to kill everyone in this country, just to make sure none of you equines become a blasted nuisance."

Wait, that's why he kept me alive? He was planning to use me as bait so that he could kill everypony that cared about me before finishing me off? That's what I'm getting from this; I don't really know how you could interpret those insane ramblings any other way! As if he wasn't demented enough already!

"My patience has long since run thin with you," Sojobo growled, placing the sickle around my neck. "This is why you don't anger your executioner. I'm now going to make sure your death is nice and sl—"

"Hey, dock-hole!"

My ears perked up. I know that voice from anywhere. And sure enough, there was Vinyl Scratch, running right for us as her horn pulsed with magic. Sojobo began playing another spell on his ocarina. Oh no. It's too late to warn her! I-I can't watch!

*Tw-EET*

"Wub-a-dub-dub, motherbucker!"

Although my hooves were clamped firmly over my eyes, I could hear a most intense sound. The breeze itself seemed to sing Sojobo's disjointed melody, only to be overshadowed by a pounding synthetic bass. The two struggled against each other like a pair of wild animals fighting for dominance. Finally, the bass won out, and the pressure against my back was gone.

When I opened my eyes, Vinyl was standing over me. Her shades were cracked, and her coat was covered in scuff marks. She smiled at me and reached out her hoof.

"C'mon, Octy. Up and at 'em," she said.

I accepted her hoof and let her pull me up. As I dusted myself off, I saw that Sojobo was still a bit dazed from, well, whatever Vinyl did (I'm guessing it was some kind of sound-amplifying spell, seeing as sound manipulation is her special talent). Not only that, Rarity, Fluttershy, Shamus, and Puzzlement were there as well.

"Alright, buster. We've got you surrounded," Shamus growled. "Put your appendages where we can see 'em."

Sojobo shook himself and snorted. "You will all die!"

He swung his chain once again, this time aiming for Shamus. But before it could reach him, the sickle became cloaked in a blue aura and was yanked away by Rarity.

"Honestly, where did you get this horrid thing?" she said, looking over the weapon. "It's just so, tacky. Ick~. I wouldn't be caught dead with this ugly atrocity wrapped around my waist."

Sojobo snarled. "The perhaps you'd like it embedded in your skull!"

He began to play his ocarina again, but before he could finish the spell, Rarity threw the sickle right into the open end of the instrument. The very force of the attack cause Sojobo to stumble back, dropping the ocarina to the ground.

"For the record, those tunes are rather ghastly, too," Rarity huffed. "Maybe that will teach you to hurt my little sister."

Sojobo flew up into the sky and growled. "You may have taken away my weapons, but by the will of the winds, I will see you all dead! Starting with you!"

He then swooped towards me, pounding his fist into the ground. I leapt out of the way and reared up on my hind legs. Before I could lower myself, he threw another punch and hit me across the jaw. I staggered back, trying to keep my balance. Before he could land another blow, I sang the confidence spell again.

"Hm-hm-hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm,
Hm-hm-hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm..."

With a surge of adrenaline, I blocked the incoming punch and countered with my own. With a screech of rage, Sojobo flew at me again. We exchanged blows back and forth, although to be honest, I didn't know I could move like this! This is no mere confidence spell; I think it's actually giving me the strength to fight back! Why Pan taught this spell to Sapphire, I'll never know. But by golly, am I ever glad he did.

After a brief brawl, Puzzlement picked up the chain still connected to Sojobo's waist and pulled with all her might. With a breathless yelp, Sojobo flew backwards and landed flat on his back. Before he could get up, Shamus and Puzzlement flipped him over and placed cuffs around his wrists.

"You're under arrest," said Shamus proudly. "Puz, book 'im."

Puzzlement took out her notepad and adjusted her monocle. "One count of breaking and entering, two counts of disturbing the peace, four counts of assault/attempted murder, two of which were against minors, one count of illegal possession of a weapon without a license, and one count of resisting arrest. That's enough to lock you away for a long time."

Sojobo sniggered. "That's your punishment? Placing me in a cage? You've never dealt with a tengu before, have you? Taking one prisoner is practically a death—"

"Oh, shut up!"

With very little provocation, Vinyl charged in and started beating up Sojobo.

"This one's for Octy!" she screamed as she punched him over and over again. "This one's for Sapphie! This one's for Sweetie Belle! This one's for Mare-Do-Well! This one's, um, because I just want to punch you!"

"Vinyl, enough!" I said, pulling her off of Sojobo. "We got him. There's no need to hurt him anymore."

Vinyl paused for a moment before heaving a deep sigh. "S-sorry, Tavi. I-I just needed to let off some steam. You really gave me a scare when you disappeared."

I arched an eyebrow. "Oh, I gave you a scare? How do you bloody think I felt?"

Vinyl winced. "T-terrified," she murmured.

Disregarding that she's correct, that straightforwardness is not something I'd expect from Vinyl. "What?"

Vinyl breathed another sigh. "Octy, I'm not trying to belittle your feelings here. What you had to go through is something I wouldn't wish on anypony. But, that's what made me so scared." She then took off her shades, revealing that her eyes were swollen with tears. "You're one of the most important ponies in my life, Tavi. I-I don't wanna lose you."

This isn't exactly news to me, but seeing Vinyl be this open with her feelings, well, it never gets easy. I'm just so used to her being bombastic and insane that seeing her like this just, breaks my heart.

"Oh, Vinyl. Don't cry," I said softly, pulling her into a hug. "It's alright now. I'm not going anywhere."

"Not if I have anything to say about it, you're not," said Vinyl with a sad chuckle. She then returned my embrace. "I love you, Octy."

"And I you, Marshmallow," I cooed. Yes, I do have a pet name for Vinyl. Try not to look too deeply into it. Or if you do, don't mention it to the tabloids. Remember, this is the kind of thing I'd like to keep off the record.

"Um, I hate to break this up, but unless I'm mistaken, you were investigating Mare-Do-Well, yes?" said Puzzlement.

Ugh, bugger me. So much for keeping this off the record. I just hope no tabloid writers saw that. As you probably gathered, I just hate giving them ammunition.

"Uh, that's right," I said, releasing Vinyl and dusting myself off.

"Well, if that's the case, maybe you four should sit in on this guy's interrogation," said Puzzlement. "If his story fits in with Ms. Sapphire's, you're gonna want to know that."

"Are you sure we won't get you in trouble?" Fluttershy inquired meekly.

Shamus sighed. "It's normally against police procedure, but seeing as you gals are with the princess, our hooves are tied."

"Then, what're we waiting for?" said Vinyl, clearing her throat. "Let's get cracking!"

With that, Shamus and Puzzlement led Sojobo away while the rest of us brought up the rear.

"I have to say, Ms. Octavia. That was all pretty, intense," said Fluttershy.

"That's putting it mildly," said Rarity. "I wasn't sure what that rapscallion was going to do after he started attacking you, but you really seemed to hold your own."

"Yeah, no kidding," Vinyl agreed. "I didn't know you could move like that, Tavi."

"Neither did I, frankly," I said with a sigh. "Still, I hope I never have to do anything like that again."

I braced myself for Vinyl to make some witty comment about how I shouldn't be ashamed of this. Instead, she walked up closer to me and nuzzled my cheek.

"You and me both, Tavi," she whispered. "You and me both."

Author's Note:

((OOC: For the more musically inclined among you, cookie for anyone who can guess what the confidence spell really is. :raritywink: ))

PreviousChapters Next