• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,883 Views, 234 Comments

My Little Investigations: Marehunter - Metool Bard



Four ponies seek the truth behind a vigilante gone rogue. I am one of them, and I hope we can save her.

  • ...
4
 234
 1,883

PreviousChapters Next
Confrontation: Photo Finish (T)

December 14, 11:14 AM
Canterlot Castle
Main Hall
***

"I'm sorry, Your Highness, but I haven't seen Ms. Photo Finish come this way."

I sighed. Tracking down Photo Finish was a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. I was almost certain that she would go to Celestia to air her grievances about her photos, but she wasn't in the Throne Room nor the Royal Court. Meaning she could be anywhere in the castle, and who knows what she's up to.

"Thank you, anyway," I said the guard. "Let me know if you see her."

"If I may interject, Your Highness," said Kibitz, adjusting his spectacles. "Why don't you simply issue a summons? You are a princess, after all."

"Nah, Twi doesn't like doing stuff like that," said Spike with a sly smirk. "She won't even assert her authority to get a cab ride in Manehattan."

I can't believe he still won't let that go. I'll admit, maybe things would've been easier if I handled the situation that way, but I wasn't sure if it would be the right thing to do. Honestly, I'm still not entirely sure. But, I digress. I know that royal authority is not the right course of action in this particular situation.

"It's not a question of that, Spike," I said sternly. "I just want to ask Photo Finish a few questions. I'm not trying to arrest her. She really hasn't done anything wrong."

"Twilie's right, Kibitz," Shining concurred. "We don't want her to get the wrong impression."

Kibitz sighed. "I suppose you have a point. Still, where could she be? She said she wouldn't leave the castle until she got her photos back."

"I know," said I. "Which is why we..."

I trailed off as I noticed a familiar pony walking down a corridor out of the corner of my eye.

"Wait, there she is!" I exclaimed, running up to her. "Ms. Photo Finish!"

Indeed, I was correct. The pony in question stopped in her tracks and turned to face me.

"P-Princess Twilight," she stammered, hastily bowing before me. "I-I didn't see you there."

"We were looking all over for you," said Shining Armor. "What're you doing over here? We thought you would be trying to find Princess Celestia."

"Oh, that," said Photo Finish, brushing the back of her head sheepishly. "Well, I am planning to let her know of my complaints, but first I have to do the thing at the, place."

Kibitz looked behind her and raised an eyebrow. "Would this 'place' be the royal infirmary, by any chance? Because that seems to be where you're headed."

"Um, yes," said Photo Finish, clearing her throat.

Something's not right here. Why would Photo Finish be so jumpy about that? If she wants to pay her respects to Blueblood, that's fine. It's not skin off my nose. I seriously believe that she's hiding something, and I'm going to find out what.

"I'm sure this'll only take a moment, Ms. Finish," I said. "I just want to ask you a few questions about last night."

"I've already told you everything I know, Princess Twilight," said Photo Finish brusquely. "There is no more for me to tell."

"I just want to make sure. For the record," I said.

Photo Finish sighed. "Fine. Who am I to argue with a princess? The thing at the place can wait, so the only time you're wasting is your own."

"Let me be the judge of that, Ms. Finish," I said firmly. "Spike, make sure you get all of this down."

"You got it, Twi," said Spike, scribbling in his notepad.

I cleared my throat. "Now then, let's start at the beginning, shall we? Tell us about your activities last night at the Gala."

"Of course, of course," Photo Finish said with a nod. "Anything for you, Princess Twilight."

Well, I'm glad she's being cooperative, but her tone seems a bit too passive-aggressive for my taste. Maybe it's because she's still miffed about her photos; maybe she really sees the whole exercise as a waste of time. Whatever the case may be, I can't let it deter me from the truth.

***
Testimony: Gala Photo Shoot
***

"I arrived at the Gala at around eight o'clock to meet with my new model," said Photo Finish. "We made arrangements a few days in advance, so she knew to expect me. We went to the garden to take some photos. Then, after about ten minutes or so, we heard a cry for help from the bushes. We rushed over and saw that Prince Blueblood had been attacked. It was then that I informed the Royal Guard. That's all I can tell you."

I get the feeling that last part was a blatant lie. Photo Finish is omitting several key details from her testimony. I'm not sure why, though. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

"You've been mentioning this new model a lot," I said, furrowing my brow. "Is it somepony I would know?"

"I doubt that," said Photo Finish, shaking her head. "I found her in Manehattan during Fashion Week. You should've seen her yourself, Princess Twilight. She had it in spades!"

"Had what?" inquired Shining.

"Why, de magicks, of course," Photo Finish squealed with glee. "She is just so graceful; so elegant! I've never seen anything like her before or since!"

That's more or less what Photo Finish said about Fluttershy when she roped her into being a model. I don't know why, but I find that rather intriguing. However, there's something else that catches my interest even more.

"What's the name of this model?" I asked.

Photo Finish's face lost all color. "N-name?"

"Yes, her name," I said. "You were in contact with her, so you have to know her name, don't you?"

Sweat trickled down Photo Finish's face as she adjusted her collar. "I-I don't see how that's important, Princess Twilight. L-let's talk about something else."

Hmm. Yep, she's definitely hiding something. And that something just so happens to be the name of her new model. But why would she want to hide that? To answer that question, I think I need to figure out who this model is. Fortunately, I have a hunch.

"Were you the first one to discover the assassination attempt, Ms. Finish?" I asked.

"Um, yes," said Photo Finish. "That is, we were. My model and I. We both discovered Prince Blueblood's body and reported this attack to the Royal Guard."

I smirked and tapped my forehead smartly. "That's not how I heard it, Ms. Finish."

Photo Finish gave me a blank stare. "Pardon?"

"According to the official reports, there were two witnesses to the attempt on Prince Blueblood's life," I stated. "The first of these witnesses fainted at the sight of the body, and she's currently recovering in the infirmary along with Blueblood. Do you know who that witness is, Ms. Finish?"

Photo Finish swallowed nervously. "I-I have no idea whom you're referring to, Princess Twilight."

"You should," I said. "After all, that's the identity of your new model. Ms. Coco Pommel!"

"Ach!"

Photo Finish recoiled from my assertion. I do believe I'm right on the money.

"Wait, Coco Pommel?" said Shining Armor, tilting his head. "Why do you think it's her, Twilie?"

"A few reasons," I said simply. "The obvious reason is simple process of elimination. There were four sets of hoofprints at the crime scene: Photo Finish, Prince Blueblood, the model, and Derpy Hooves. The two witnesses to attempt on Prince Blueblood's life were Photo Finish and Coco Pommel. Ergo, the model's hoofprints belong to her. But that's not the only reason."

"Wh-what do you mean?" asked Photo Finish.

"You mentioned that you met this new model at Fashion Week," I said. "As it just so happens, my friends and I were at Fashion Week, too. And we also got to meet Coco Pommel."

"B-but that could just be a coincidence!" sputtered Photo Finish. "You have no proof of that!"

"I don't need proof that you met her at Fashion Week," I said with a smile. "I already know from my first proof that she's the new model you're talking about. The only question is why are you trying to be so secretive about it?!"

"I-I... ACH!"

Photo Finish recoiled again. She then let out a deep sigh.

"Y-you are correct, Princess Twilight," said Photo Finish. "Ms. Pommel is the next big star who will shine all over Equestria. I approached her after Fashion Week, but she declined my offer."

"Wait, wait. Hold up," said Spike, folding his arms. "If she told you 'no,' then why is she modeling for you now?"

Photo Finish twiddled her hooves. "Well, to my understanding, she's an up-and-coming fashion designer in her own right. She just got finished creating the costumes for a new show on Bridleway, after all. When I got wind of this, I knew I had the perfect opportunity. So, we made a deal."

"A deal?" I parroted.

"Yes," said Photo Finish. "She poses for a few photos at the Grand Galloping Gala; I promote her work. It's a win-win!"

Huh. That, actually sounds pretty fair to me. However, something still doesn't sound quite right.

"If she agreed to this arrangement, why are you trying to keep this under wraps?" I asked.

Photo Finish let out a heavy sigh. "It was part of our deal. She didn't want any extra publicity until the photos were officially released. I thought the whole thing was silly, but this was my only chance to capture her grace on film. A pony as beautiful as Ms. Pommel is not something you find every day."

Well, at least she's taking her model's feelings into consideration. Somewhat. It's a step up from how she treated Fluttershy; I'll say that much.

"So that's why you're so adamant about getting those photos," mused Shining. "You're trying to uphold your end of the bargain with Ms. Pommel."

"That's exactly correct," said Photo Finish, dipping her voice. "Promise me you won't tell anypony else about this, will you? I'd hate to upset Ms. Pommel."

"My lips are sealed," I said solemnly.

"Yeah, same here."

"As you wish, Ms. Finish."

"Yeah, alright."

"Thank you," said Photo Finish with a bow. "Thank you ever so much. I cannot let either of our reputations be damaged by this slip-up."

"We understand, Ms. Finish," I said. "However, we still need those photos. They could contain valuable evidence."

"I still don't think that's the case, Princess Twilight," said Photo Finish, adjusting her shades. "You're making a big mistake here."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

Photo Finish scoffed. "Princess Twilight, I am a professional. I know these things. And I'd be happy to explain it to you."

I don't see how being a professional makes you perfect. Even professional make mistakes every once in a while. But, if Photo Finish is sticking to her guns like this, I might as well hear her out.

"Alright, Ms. Finish," I conceded. "Let's hear your argument."

"It is no mere argument, Princess Twilight," Photo Finish said with a snort. "It is fact."

Yes, well. We'll just see about that, now won't we?

***
Argument: Professional Photography
***

"When I take a photo, it is a work of art," said Photo Finish. "No photo should ever have anything short of, de magicks~! Therefore, I make absolutely sure that everything is as perfect as can be. The lighting, the scenery, makeup, dresses, and of course, the model herself. This is especially true in an open area, where I make certain that there are no chances of photobombs. Trust me, Princess Twilight. Those pictures could not have captured anything even remotely related to the crime."

"Hold on, back up," said Spike, squinting at what he just wrote. "What's a photobomb?"

"It's a photograph that's ruined by something unexpected coming into the photographer's viewfinder while they're taking a picture," I explained. "I'm guessing that's part of the reason Ms. Finish decided to shoot in a secluded area of the garden."

"Exactly," said Photo Finish. "So, you concede my point, yes?"

Not quite. I get that Photo Finish is a perfectionist who would check for this kind of thing, but even so, she's still just a pony. Everypony makes mistakes; even me. Therefore, her excuse doesn't hold water. Besides which, I have evidence that points to quite the contrary.

"Ms. Finish, I want you to take a look at this," I said, taking out the aerial schematic.

Photo Finish raised an eyebrow. "Why would you show me some sort of child's scribblings, Princess Twilight?"

Oh no. This is gonna be a problem, isn't it? Ugh, the things I put up with sometimes.

"Look, I know what it looks like, but trust me, it's an official document," I said, resisting the urge to groan. "The Wonderbolts made an aerial schematic of the crime scene."

Photo Finish knitted her brow. "It's rather far-fetched, but I'll take your word for it, Princess Twilight. Still, why are you showing me this?"

"Look here," I said, pointing to the document. "You and Ms. Pommel were over here, and the crime took place a few meters away over there. Now, I've traced a line from where your camera was pointing in order to see what would be in your field of view. Do you notice anything?"

Photo Finish looked carefully at the diagram before blanching.

"What? N-no," she gasped. "Th-this is impossible. I-I didn't see anything like that in my viewfinder!"

"Maybe you didn't see it, but the evidence speaks for itself," I said. "It's very possible that inadvertently, you managed to snap some photos of the crime without realizing it. Granted, you probably didn't notice it because it was so far off to the side, but the possibility still remains. You were taking photos between eight o'clock and eight ten, which is around the time Prince Blueblood was attacked. Ergo, those photos can very well be considered evidence!"

"I-i-inconcievable!"

Photo Finish recoiled from this revelation. I sighed.

"It's only inconceivable because you haven't conceived it," I said sagely. "Listen, once the photos are developed, we'll know for sure. If they don't turn up anything, we'll return them to you without hesitation."

Photo Finish sighed. "I, suppose that's for the best," she murmured. "Still, this is quite disheartening, to say the least."

"I'm sure your reputation will survive this, Ms. Finish," I said. "You've bounced back from worse."

Photo Finish let out a self-mocking chuckle. "That I have, Princess Twilight. Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to see how my mo— I mean, Ms. Pommel is doing."

With that, she walked off. Well, now we know what Photo Finish was hiding. It didn't really help in the grand scheme of things, but that's one mystery solved, at least. I might as well take what I can get.

"Princess Twilight!"

I turned to see a Royal Guard run up to me and salute.

"Report," I ordered.

"We just finished developing the photos, Your Highness," said the guard. "They're in our makeshift darkroom; over in the Royal Observatory."

Hmm. If I recall correctly, the Royal Observatory also doubles as Princess Luna's bedchamber. I'm assuming they got permission to convert it into a makeshift darkroom, because otherwise, this was going to be very, very awkward.

"Ah, perfect timing," I said. "We just got finished talking to Ms. Finish. She has agreed to let us keep the photos if they do indeed contain any evidence."

The guard blinked in confusion before clearing his throat. "Um, yes. Great. I'll be sure to let Captain Holy Lance know of that."

"You do that," I said, stifling a chuckle. "In the meantime, we'll head over to the observatory."

"Are you sure you don't need an escort, Your Highness?" asked Kibitz.

"Um, I thought we were her escort," said Spike, pointing to himself, Kibitz, and Shining Armor.

"Th-that's different, Mr. The Dragon," said Kibitz, wiping some sweat from his brow.

"Never it mind, Kibitz," I said. "We don't need the Royal Guard following us around. They have important jobs to do, after all. Now then, let's go."

"Um, right. Of course," said Kibitz, mumbling something under his breath.

I sighed inwardly. Kibitz must really not be used to this. I wonder if he's this annoying to Celestia and Luna, too. Not that I'd ask them that, of course. That would be incredibly rude. Oh well, no use thinking about that now. After dismissing the thought, I led the way to the observatory. Finally, we're gonna be getting some concrete answers.

...

Hopefully.

Author's Note:

((OOC: For those who are curious, I envision this to be Twilight Sparkle's Objection theme. :twilightsmile: ))

PreviousChapters Next