• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,894 Views, 234 Comments

My Little Investigations: Marehunter - Metool Bard



Four ponies seek the truth behind a vigilante gone rogue. I am one of them, and I hope we can save her.

  • ...
4
 234
 1,894

PreviousChapters Next
Terminated Tenure (S)

December 14, 10:19
Griffon Kingdom
Scholar's Plaza
***

"So, let me see if I've got this straight, Capitaine Spitfire," said Pierre just as I finished briefing him on the situation. "That costumed pony that showed up during our duel back in January is some great hero to Equestria, and her impostor is in the Griffon Kingdom?"

"She could be here; we don't know for sure," I clarified. "But you've got the basic gist of it."

Pierre knitted his brow. "You didn't mention any of this in your report regarding the Ghastly Gorge Gauntlet, Capitanie Spitfire."

"It was for Mare-Do-Well's sake, Captain le Grand," I said. "Apparently, she's allergic to getting attention or something. Don't ask me why."

"Mmm. I see," Pierre mused. "Well, seeing as we're not a military unit anymore, we don't have the authority to investigate this matter on our own. However, we'll do everything we can to help."

"Um, hello? I'm still not on board with this, Captain," said Gilda. "Why can't these ponies just clean up their own mess?"

Okay, I'm finding it hard to believe that Gilda was part of the Junior Speedsters. Like I said, that flight camp was very progressive for its time for allowing pegasi and griffons to fly together. But apparently, that message of unity between species didn't managed to bore its way into Gilda's thick skull. If it really is that thick; she could just be putting on an act to look cool.

"It's not just our mess, G," Rainbow Dash said firmly. "This phony Mare-Do-Well could very well be a danger to the Griffon Kingdom, too."

"Pfft. Yeah, right," scoffed Gilda, rolling her eyes. "I could clobber her with one talon tied behind my back."

"Don't be so sure, Privé Gilda," Pierre said darkly. "I've fought this Mysterious Mare-Do-Well before. If her impostor is anything like the real one, she would be quite a challenging opponent."

Gilda scoffed again, but said nothing. Well, at least she's smart enough not to talk back to her CO when she has no argument. Credit where credit is due, I guess. Still, where did Pierre find this dock-hole, and why did he think she'd make a good edition to the Proud Pride? She wouldn't last a day under my command.

"So, how much longer until we reach this Epiphany University, anyway?" asked Blaze.

Pierre smirked. "Funny you should say that, Mademoiselle Blaze. For we are here."

We touched down in front of a large, black gate flanked by two marble statues; one of a griffon and the other of a hippogriff. A golden crest with the letters EU engraved on it adorned each of the statues. Beyond the gates, I could see a very luxurious campus with a few students flying about. Unlike at the outpost, the atmosphere felt quite welcoming and tranquil. None of the griffons here looked like they wanted to start anything. They were all heading to classes, or sharing gossip, or lounging about on the grass. This is a side of the Griffon Kingdom that not a lot of ponies talk about. And you know what? They should. 'Cause while I can't speak for anypony else, I'm not a big fan of stereotyping griffons as savage brutes. I think it's wrong, I think it's offensive, and I think anyone who buys that stereotype should be ashamed of themselves. But, I digress.

"Wow. This is quite an impressive campus," observed Misty Fly. "Quite large, too. You guys wouldn't happen to know your way around here, would you?"

"I'm afraid not, Mademoiselle Fly," said Pierre. "None of us have attended Epiphany University ourselves. But I'm sure if we ask around, we'll find out where Professeur Kierra is."

"Are you sure that's wise, Captain le Grand?" asked Misty Fly, arching an eyebrow. "We're trying to keep a low profile with this investigation. That's going to be rather hard to accomplish if we just waltz onto the campus like this."

"Oh, please. As if eggheads give a damn about anything other than their egghead stuff," said Gilda with a snicker. "They're just a bunch of nerds who don't know what's cool. I'll bet they haven't even heard of the Wonderbolts."

"Hey, is that Spitfire?!"

As soon as those words left Gilda's beak, one of the students spotted us from across campus. A split second later, a whole mob of griffons and hippogriffs rushed up to the gate. I don't know whether I want to smack Gilda upside the head or laugh at her in bemused contempt. Of course the Wonderbolts are gonna be recognized here. I know plenty of highly educated individuals who are our fans. Heck, I've been asked to speak at universities like this several times in the past. So this notion that these griffons wouldn't give us a second glance just because they're students of a prestigious university is simply preposterous.

"You were saying?" said Rainbow Dash, giving Gilda a knowing smirk.

"Sh-shut up," Gilda snarled, her cheeks turning bright red.

"Well, so much for keeping a low profile," Blaze sighed. "Now what're we going to do?"

"I have no idea," I said, letting out a sigh of my own. While I like my fans a lot, this is not the time or place to be signing autographs. We're on a very important mission here. However, it was too late to try and get that message across.

"What are you all doing out here?! Get back to your classes!"

A powerful roar echoed from behind the students, who immediately dispersed. When the last student was out of sight, we were approached by an elderly griffon wearing a pair of reading glasses on a chain as well as dark green robe that accented his dusty red plumage. Unlike most griffons I had come across, he seemed rather scrawny and fragile. Yet despite that, he still had quite a commanding presence.

"Uh, thanks for that," I said, brushing the back of my head. "I do apologize for causing a ruckus like this."

"It's not your fault, madam," said the griffon. "The students of Epiphany University should know better than to behave like that. I don't know what gets into them sometimes."

"Hey, I'm used to it," I said. "Um, perhaps I should introduce myself. I'm Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts."

The griffon gave me a long, critical look and adjusted his glasses.

"Hmm. So you are," he said, sounding rather intrigued. "I must say, Ms. Spitfire. I was not expecting you to speak at my university this fine day."

"Your university?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry," said the griffon, clearing his throat. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Javier Hawke, headmaster of Epiphany University. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ms. Spitfire."

"Pleasure's all mine," I said with a nod. "Now then, we're actually here on official business from Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"You are, are you?" asked Javier, stroking his chin. "Why was I not notified about this?"

"We, didn't really get any advanced warning," I said sheepishly. "Listen, we're actually here to see Kierra."

"Does she know you're coming?"

"Uh, no. Again, I apologize, but we weren't given any prior notice, either."

Javier's brow furrowed. "I'm not sure I can abide by this, Ms. Spitfire. Professor Kierra has been rather busy as of late. She must not be disturbed."

"Busy?" inquired Misty Fly. "Busy doing what?"

"Who knows? Egghead stuff, maybe," said Gilda with a shrug.

Javier let out a deep-throated growl and glared at Gilda. If looks could kill, she would've been dead by now.

"Ignorant whelps like you should not bother setting foot on my campus if you're not willing to open your minds," he snarled.

"Whatever, gramps," said Gilda dismissively. "Look, can you just tell the Wonderbolts where this Professor Kierra is so I can get on with my life?"

"I told you, Professor Kierra must not be disturbed," Javier said with a snort. "She's conducting important research."

"Really? On what?" I asked.

"I don't know; she didn't tell me," said Javier. "And for that matter, what business is it of yours, Ms. Spitfire?"

"Directeur Hawke, it is imperative that Capitaine Spitfire sees Professeur Kierra right away," said Pierre. "She could be in grave danger."

Javier gave Pierre a blank look. "Grave danger, you say?" said he. "From what?"

"It's a long story," I said. "Listen, Kierra knows me. I helped her gain back her credibility as an historian. I'm sure she'd be willing to let me see her."

"Yes, she did mention something about that when she came back," mused Javier. "And truth be told, she has been acting rather strange lately."

"Strange?" I parroted. "How so?"

"I'm not sure how to describe it," said Javier, tapping his beak. "She's been spending a lot of time holed up in the library or in her office, often for hours at a time. She's also been rather, on-edge as of late. Personally, I think it's because she's been working day and night on her research, whatever it is."

Something tells me it's a bit more complicated than that. Maybe she already knows about Mare-Do-Well's impostor somehow, and she's trying to find a way to stop her. The only way to know for sure is to ask Kierra herself.

"Headmaster Hawke, this is a matter of national importance," I said, projecting as much determination as I could. "I'm under orders from Princess Twilight Sparkle to track down a madmare that may very well be in the Griffon Kingdom. I have my suspicions that she might be targeting Kierra, and that's why I have to see her."

Javier's eyes went wide. "Wh-what? An assassin, here?"

"Possibly," I said with a nod.

Javier took a moment to compose himself. "W-well, by all means, go on ahead. She should be in her office. It's in the small brown building just east of here, Room 105. You'll need a key to access it, so allow me to accompany you."

"Thank you, headmaster," I said with a bow. "Alright, Wonderbolts! Let's fly!"

"Yeah, you go do that," said Gilda. "We're gonna take off now. Seeya!"

"Not so fast, Privé Gilda," said Pierre sternly. "I told Capitaine Spitfire that the Proud Pride will help her any way we can, and I will not go back on my word."

"What?! Oh, c'mon!" Gilda griped. "That old crow is gonna take 'em to Kierra, so we're not needed anymore!"

"Regardless, my order still stands," said Pierre, leering at Gilda. "You're free to leave if you wish, but if you do, you will be leaving the Proud Pride as well."

"Ugh, dick move, man," Gilda grumbled, folding her arms. "Fine, I'll stay. But I won't like it."

"No one's asking you to like it," said Blaze, rolling her eyes. Rainbow Dash stifled a chuckle.

"Blaze, behave yourself," I scolded. "And that goes for you too, private."

"Y-yes'm!" Rainbow Dash sputtered, giving me a hasty salute.

"Right, I think we've wasted enough time here," I said. "Okay, let's go."

We all then followed Javier to the staff building on campus. My mind was racing furiously as we flew. Kierra's up to something. It probably has to do with Mare-Do-Well. I'm not sure how she was made privy to her impostor running around, but I intend to find out. Kierra was a great help to me before; I'm sure she'll come through for me again.

***
December 14, 10:43
Epiphany University
Staff Building
***

It didn't take us long to find Kierra's office on the first floor. Javier gave the door a light tap.

"Professor Kierra?" he called out. "I know you don't wish to be disturbed, but you have a visitor."

There was no answer. Javier tried again.

"Professor Kierra? It's me, Javier. Ms. Spitfire wishes to see you."

Again, no answer.

"Well, looks like she's not home," said Gilda with a shrug. "Guess we should— ow!"

Drake clamped his talon around Gilda's tail and shook his head. Gilda snarled and snatched it from him.

"This is odd," murmured Javier. "She should be here."

"Ugh, we don't have time for this," said Rainbow Dash, cracking her neck. "Here, let me."

"Belay that, private," I ordered. "There's no need to break the door down."

"Oh. Um, yes, ma'am," said Rainbow Dash sheepishly.

Gilda snickered. "Like I said, Dash. Cool one minute; lame the next."

"Shut up, G," Rainbow Dash growled through gritted teeth.

I sighed. I still want to know how she got into the Proud Pride, 'cause there's no way a poser like Gilda would make it in the Wonderbolts. But, one problem at a time.

"Do you think she's at the library or something?" I asked.

"Doubtful," said Javier. "Professors usually leave notes on their doors when they've stepped out. There's no such note here."

Hmm. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this.

"Is there any way to get into her office?" I asked.

"We could ask security for a spare key," said Javier. "Otherwise, the only one with a key to this office is Professor Kierra herself."

"Right," I said. "Rainbow Dash, go to the security desk and ask for a spare key to Room 105. Tell them you were sent by Headmaster Hawke, and that it's urgent."

"Yes, ma'am!" said Rainbow Dash, zooming off in a burst of color. In less than a minute, she came back with the security guard.

"I still say you should've broken the door down, Dash," said Gilda.

"No, that would've been unnecessary and stupid," said Blaze frankly.

"All of you, stop arguing," said Misty Fly, spreading her wings. "This is not the time."

"Thank you, Mist," I said. "Now then, if you please, sir."

The guard nodded and fumbled with his keyring for a bit. After a few seconds, he found the right key and unlocked the door.

The vision that greeted us was, horrifying. Th-there's just no other way to describe it. Kierra was there, lying on top of her desk with her beak hanging open. Her eyes were glazed and, lifeless. There was no sign of her breathing. W-we were too late.

"By the King's beak! Th-this is impossible!" sputtered Javier.

"I-I think I'm gonna be sick again," moaned Rainbow Dash.

"S-stop being so melodramatic, Dash. I-it's no big deal," said Gilda, sounding rather shaken herself.

"No, Privé Gilda. It is a big deal," said Pierre coldly. "We should inform le Griffon Magistrat, immediately."

"The Griffon Magistrate? Isn't he supposed to be like, the judge?" asked Blaze, tilting her head. "I thought judges didn't lead investigations."

"Different culture, Blaze," I said in a strained tone. "Their justice system doesn't work the same as ours."

"Right, sorry Sis. Kinda, forgot that for a sec," said Blaze. She then let out a big sigh. "Dammit all."

"I know how you feel, Blaze," I said somberly. "Captain le Grand, go fetch the Griffon Magistrate. We'll get started here."

"At once, Capitaine Spitfire," said Pierre with a salute. "Drake, Privé Gilda. Allez."

With that, they were gone. I let out a sigh and shook my head. I knew it. I bucking knew this would happen. Somehow, I had a feeling that Kierra would be targeted, and lo and behold, she's been murdered in cold blood. Why did I have to be right about this? I-I feel like slamming my head against a wall. No, scratch that. I feel like slamming my hoof into the schmuck who thought that taking someone else's life was a good idea.

"Will you be alright, Spitfire?" asked Misty Fly.

"Y-yeah," I murmured. "Just, give me a minute."

I flew over to Kierra and stared into her blank, dead eyes. Ever so gently, I reached out with my hoof and closed them.

"I'm sorry, Kierra," I whispered. "Don't worry. Whoever did this to you, they're gonna pay. I'll make sure of it myself. Wonderbolt's honor."

I straightened up and let out another sigh.

"I'm gonna take a bit of a walk to clear my head," I said. "When I come back, I expect you all to be ready to start investigating. Is that understood?"

"Yes, ma'am," came a chorus of acknowledgements.

"Good," I said. "Mist, if you need to work your magic, do so."

"Understood, Spitfire," said Misty Fly sagely.

With that, I ventured out into the hall and just started pacing back and forth. Well, so much for our luck holding out. Kierra really didn't deserve to go out like this, y'know? Then again, no one does. Not really. Which is all the more reason why I'm gonna make sure this dock-hole impersonating Mare-Do-Well gets her comeuppance.

Well, on the plus side, we know the impostor's in the Griffon Kingdom. That should mean that none of the other teams have to go through something like, well, this. A good thing, too. I'd hate to imagine what would happen if somepony else had to deal with the same crap my team's dealing with right now...

PreviousChapters Next