• Published 5th Apr 2012
  • 6,508 Views, 627 Comments

The Redemption of Jericho Swain - Ghosted Note



Sequel to League of Discord. The Mane 6 are pulled into Runeterra, and must get home.

  • ...
16
 627
 6,508

Chapter 23: Resolutions

The Redemption of Jericho Swain
Chapter 23: Resolutions



"Fluttershy, dear?" inquired Rarity as she entered into her friend's room. "Are you in here?" A quiet sniffle answered her question. Sighing, Rarity closed the door behind her and walked over to the four post bed that dominated the room and pulling its curtains aside. "Fluttershy..."

Fluttershy took a moment to wipe her eyes before looking up at Rarity. "This is what you wanted, right? Twilight almost killed Singed. One step closer to turning her into a great warrior."

"You're not seriously implying-" Rarity paused mid-sentence, reconsidering her choice of words. "I just want our friends to be able to survive when we have to fight Malzahar. I never wanted this. I had no idea that Twilight had been so affected by her time spent captured."

"What happens when we get back to Equestria?" Fluttershy asked softly. "If it comes down to ki- to dealing with Malzahar that way, how do they come back from that? How can we even be there for them? I can't even imagine doing anything like that. How am I supposed to comfort somepony who has had to? What if our friendship ends because we can't relate to each other after this?"

Rarity nodded and hugged Fluttershy comfortingly. "It won't come to that, I promise. We've already been through so much together. We won't let this break what all of our previous adventures couldn't."

Fluttershy nodded, and took a deep, nervous breath. "You're r-right. But friendship requires work and sacrifice, which is why I think that w-we should..." She trailed off, eyes downcast.

Rarity tilted her head for a moment. "We should what, darling? It's okay, say what's on your mind."

Fluttershy was silent for several seconds, eyeing the door as if considering making a run for it. After the tension proved too thick to make the dash through, she finally took a breath, letting out all of her words at once. "Ithinkweshouldlearntofight... I mean, that is... I think we should l-learn to fight too. I hope it won't come to that, b-but maybe at least having to go through similar training will give us a little more idea of what the other girls are going through."

Rarity was shocked. "Are you sure? This is a very big commitment, and no offense, darling, but you're not exactly the fighting sort. Neither am I, for that matter. That's why we were settled with the administrative work in the first place."

Fluttershy deflated a little. "I know... but I think it's the right thing to do. It can't be all bad. You have great precision with your magic, even if it isn't as strong as Twilight's, and I have the Stare. It's not like we'll be in the fray like them. I just want to be sure that this doesn't put too large a gap between us after all of this is done."

Rarity was silent for a few seconds, letting the myriad possibilities of how this could backfire play through her mind, before finally coming to her conclusion. "I understand, and as much as it pains me to say it, you're right, but I shall be volunteering for League matches, if they shall have me. It's only fair that I go through the same evils that I was wont to subject my closest friends to. 'Tis the noble thing to do. I do think we should wait for Nasus to arrive before making the announcement, to give everyone a chance to cool off after everything that has happened. Come now, Fluttershy. Twilight should be about done explaining herself to the others. Let's go see how that went, shall we?"

- - - -
Two Days Later
- - - -

Nasus closed his eyes for a moment, letting the wind caress him. Flying had always been a pleasant experience for him. The wind reminded him of his desert homeland, and the constantly changing view of the landscape felt like a comforting reminder of the shifting, swirling sands thereof. There hadn't been much time to appreciate such things as of late. The long days of meditation and introspection, of wandering the Shurima Desert that he now called home, had fallen by the wayside due to his new friends and the adventures they brought. It wasn't an unwelcome change entirely, but living as an immortal had made him a creature of habit. It was nice to have a few moments of peace and quiet to think.

Unfortunately, such moments rarely last long, and it seemed like far too short a time before the airship's horn sounded out, signalling that they had arrived at their destination. To the uninformed, it looked as if it was preparing to dock at an ordinary refueling station on the way back to the Institute of War. If one were to do a little research, the not at all surprising discovery might be made that this particular refueling station was owned by Jericho Swain, and the various businesses that tend to center around such facilities all paid dues to him. This in itself wasn't uncommon, as many League champions had side investments that ranged from ventures like Singed's pest control services and a series of breweries co-owned by one of his fellow champions to Swain's ventures into politics and the airship market. This particular refueling station had a secret, though, known only to a select few under Swain's management, as well as a certain set of friends. Thus, nobody suspected a thing as Nasus slipped into a rather vaguely named waiting room. When he asked the bored-looking secretary behind the room's solitary desk to see the supervisor, she simply nodded and pointed to the door behind her before turning the decorative crystal on her desk slightly to the left.

Nasus barely fit through the door, squeezing himself in a cramped room with a disturbingly wobbly floor. Shortly after he crammed himself into the room, he found himself standing straight with much less effort as the floor began to descend. The pace of the magical elevator picked up, and the crystals that had been enchanted to provide light along the tube created a slightly disorienting strobe effect as they zoomed in and out of sight. After about two minutes of this, the ride suddenly lurched to a stop as a door opened in front of him, causing him to stumble forward onto his knees into a lavishly decorated lobby, where Swain was standing with a slightly amused expression, offering a hand to Nasus. "My apologies, Nasus. A recent maintenance error threw off the calibration of the elevator."

Nasus ignored Swain's hand as he used his staff to hoist himself back to his feet. "You might consider getting that fixed. I suspect that if the ascent is similar, I might walk away with a head injury."

"Yes, of course. I'm afraid that this bunker wasn't designed for someone of your stature. It was actually made before Noxus opted into the League." Swain motioned with his cane for Nasus to walk. "Pleasantries aside, I trust your mission was successful?"

Nasus nodded and walked beside his host. "I extracted information on several other cells of Malzahar's cultists. In addition to this, I have discovered that he is searching for a massive source of magical energy and a way to store and channel it. There are plenty of powerful mages throughout Valoran, but combat expertise tends to be a common trait in them. Logically, it follows that Twilight Sparkle is an ideal combination of power and lack of combat experience. The second still bears investigation. Knowing how he plans to store this energy will better allow us to prevent him from doing so."

"Good work. Since we don't know the entirety of Malzahar's plan to open Valoran to the Void, I think it is best to harass these other cells. Not only will this increase our chances of learning more of his intentions and resources, it will frustrate him and increase the chance that he might make a mistake that will expose him." Swain halted his stride for a moment, turning to look at Nasus. "This comes with a caveat, though."

Nasus' face was expressionless for several seconds as he looked into Swain's eyes. "As long as Malzahar lives, there is a clear and persistent threat to the Equestrians. He must die. However, he will not show himself unless he sees a chance to get what he wants. Before all is said and done, the girls must be exposed to danger to be taken out of it."

Swain nodded, his expression grim. "Believe me when I say I don't want them to die or be compromised in any way. They're going to have to be ready for real fighting. Twilight recently had an outburst and almost killed Singed, but that was in a fit of passion. They need to learn how to be cold in battle if we want to increase their chances of survival. To this end, when we return to the Institute, I wish to take a more prominent role in their training. They would not hear of it from me, though. I need you to open them to the concept. Think on it. For now, your friends are waiting to greet you beyond this door. Meet me in the lobby whenever you all are ready to depart." Swain gestured to the door at the end of the hall they were in before excusing himself and walking away.

Nasus watched his retreating form for a few seconds before turning to open the door in front of him. The moment the door was halfway open he found himself tackled by a blur of pink hair and insanity. Of course, being several times the weight of his assailant, he was left to watch awkwardly as that blur bounced off of him in a comically exaggerated manner before zooming back to hug him. "Nasus!" yelled Pinkie, leaving her victim slightly deafened. "Did'ja have fun in Zaun? Bring back any souvenirs for us? Learn any world shattering secrets?"


"...Hello, Pinkie," Nasus said flatly, before surveying the various levels of mirth that played across the faces of the seven others in the room. "My mission was indeed a success. I shall tell you of the particulars when we are airborne again. How has your stay under Swain's hospitality been?"

Twilight laughed awkwardly. "A little bit too dramatic for my tastes, but we're all well. For all of his many, many faults, Swain is at least a good host. His library isn't bad either."

"Indeed," affirmed Rarity. "Aside from a few early hiccups, our stay has been relatively pleasant. However, now that we are all together, Fluttershy and I have an announcement to make. We-" She never got to finish her sentence, as Pinkie couldn't contain her excitement any longer.

"Oh! I'm so happy for you two I always thought you would make a cute- Mmrph!" Pinkie kept talking for a few moments before realizing her mouth had been covered by Rainbow Dash's hand.

"No, no, goodness no," replied Rarity in alarm. "No offense to Fluttershy of course, but I'd rather wait for my Prince Charming to come along. What we wanted to announce..." She paused for a moment, though if it was to take a nervous breath or for dramatic effect was anyone's guess. "We wish to learn how to fight, and I wish to join you all on the Fields of Justice."

The room was completely silent. Nobody moved a muscle or said a word as the tension built. Fluttershy looked as if she might pass out. It finally fell upon Rainbow Dash to break the tension. She chose to do so in a less-than-graceful manner. "BUAHAHAHAHA! Oh, Celestia, that's rich!" She continued to guffaw, only for her laughter to die in her mouth as she noted the serious expressions on everyone else's faces. "Wait, you're serious? Oh... wow... I didn't mean anything by... It's just, you two don't exactly seem like..."

Fluttershy sighed. "We know... We just need to do this. All of you are learning all of these things and fighting in the League now. I'm scared that when all of this is over, we won't know each other anymore."

"It won't come to that," said Applejack resolutely. "Ah know this'll change us in more ways than we'll probably realize, but we're your friends, and we're always gonna be. Ain't nobody gonna hold it against you that you're a bit more... uh, delicate than we are. It's just part of who you are."

"I know that we're not the most likely candidates," replied Rarity, "but I simply couldn't live with myself if I didn't do this with you all. Besides, I may not be as powerful as Twilight, but I certainly know enough magic to hold my own, and from what I understand the gems of this world are especially receptive to enchantment."

"If they want to try, let them," said Riven with a shrug. "In Noxus, everyone learns to fight, even the most 'delicate' of us. I doubt it's beyond their abilities, and from what you all have told me about the adventures you've been in before we met, it'd be a good skill set to have. All it takes is the right trainer. Don't expect it to be easy, though. Now, let's get to the lobby. Gilded as it may be, I'm eager to get out of Swain's little birdcage."

- - - -

An hour later, the airship departed, bound for the Institute of War. As it ascended, a woman in a purple cloak turned to her similarly-clad companion. "Alert the others. Our targets have departed."

Author's Note:

Holidays. Ugh. Extended family visits. Ugh. Awkwardness and boredom for everyone!

Special thanks to: Hiccup251, ZettaLux, Lightning_Shot, and Dr Bob