• Published 26th Oct 2011
  • 10,437 Views, 121 Comments

Point of No Return - Wild_Heart



The mane cast must content with eternal night and each other's selfishness to save Equestria.

  • ...
6
 121
 10,437

Fifth Arrest

Atop one of the palace's spires, a yellow pegasus woke up, her 'day' just beginning. With a hearty yawn, her eyes opened groggily, cast down on the palace grounds and Ponyville in the distance. "Okay...Do list for today. No messages withstanding, no reconaisance duty necessary, no shows today...” She let off a wistful sigh, rising up. Joints popped, and that felt pretty good, but her body was more stiff than she'd like. “I guess I better check anyway.” Her wings stretched a few times, the appendages feeling hard to move, as though they themselves were just waking up. She sighed, and flicked them out a few times, finally forcing them to spread fully. “Gets harder every day...I'm getting too old for these horseapples.” She grimaced at the thought, her mind throwing all sorts of doubts and fears at her. She stretched out her body fully, and shook herself, the sleep fading from her mind. No, she was fine now. She wasn't a nag just yet. Smoothing out her flame-colored mane, Spitfire was ready for anything to happen. She spread her wings, and prepared to fly.

Unfortunately, what she saw next, before she launched from the tower's roof and into the darkened sky, was NOT something she was ready for. It was something absolutely amazing, that was for sure, but something she thought was impossible. Happiness and dread both filled her as she saw a rainbow contrail shooting from the orchard to Ponyville. Then a loud BANG, concentric circles of rainbow colors spreading out over Ponyville, lighting it up immensely.

At first, the pegasus blinked, not trusting her aging eyes. It was still there. She flew just a bit closer. Not all the way to Ponyville, but to a safer distance. It was still there. And it was real. She almost forgot to flap her wings, and set down on a cloud before they could lock up entirely. Her mouth was wide open as the train began to slowly fade...Not with the trick of the eyes that a slowly leaving dream did, but just the way such a contrail would dissipate. This was no illusion or trick of her mind. Spitfire's body trembled, and she fell with legs under her. The words came out, to no one in particular, “It can't be...It just...It's not possible.” With a shake of the head, she slowly stood up. It wasn't possible. But it HAD been there, all the same. The pegasus quickly turned back to the palace and shot towards it, her own contrails, the color of a raging inferno, following quickly behind the blindingly fast flight.

She had no idea how many shouts she heard as she charged into the palace. So many things were running through her mind: Panic, joy, anger...Fear. She could not have possibly done much else but continue on her way. Most of the guards recognized the pegasus and just got out of the way, but a few unlucky souls were all but sent flying themselves as she burst into the throne room. Queen Nyx was already alert, eyes narrowed and horn glowing, expecting an assault at any moment because of the explosion she'd heard outside. When she saw who the intruder was, she let off a sigh of relief, but rolled her eyes. “Yes. Good evening, Spitfire.” She immediately looked down to her scrolls again, but soon found a wild-eyed pegasus right in her face. The alicorn leaned back as her lieutenant burst into a Pinkie Pie-esque jabbering.

"ISAWRAINBOWDASHISWEARIMNOTMAKINGTHISUPORSEEINGTHINGSISAWHERORATLEASTHERTRAILBUTHATSPROOFENOUGHREALLY!" “How could she not have SEEN that?!” The monarch winced at the normally cool-headed pegasus's outburst, her ears ringing. Through gritted teeth, she caused a dark blue shroud to wrap around Spitfire's muzzle to stiffle the sheer volume. An angry glare gave the Wonderbolt a chance to gulp and take a deep breath through her nose.

"Let's try this again. Slowly now." Spitfire nodded, taking another deep breath, and letting it out, as Nyx removed that shroud, waiting for her head of intelligence to recover from the horrible shock of whatever the hay she'd just said. When Spitfire finally calmed down, her usual relaxed smile wasn't present. Instead, one of concern, and...Was that apprehension? This caused her queen's frown to deepen itself.

“I saw Rainbow Dash. I know this sounds crazy, but I saw her flying towards Ponyville. She was leaving behind that rainbow contrail she has when she's flying real fast. She's the only one who can do that. The only one.” She emphasized that point again, and quite strongly. Queen Nyx had brushed off the same idea from Wild Heart the night cycle before, but now she was hearing it again, and it was starting to sound more likely coming from two of her most trusted officers. Perhaps it was just the early hour, however? Spitfire WAS known to sleep in on nights off.

“Spitfire, I think, perhaps, you may have been seeing thi-” She was cut off by an exasperated sigh.

“Your majesty, please. I'm sure of this. I'm very sure of this.” There was a silence in the throne room as the Alicorn closed her eyes for a moment. She thought on it for a short while, and suddenly felt a wrenching sensation in her heart as a thought came to her. She winced visibly, starting, which caused the pegasus to jump back. “Hey! N-Nyx, are you okay?!”

“I am fine.” A lie, well told. But Spitfire wasn't born yesterday. The expression on her face turned to skepticism, and the goddess clenched her teeth. “I'm FINE, Spitfire. Don't test me.” When the pegasus backed away, head lowered in respect, she took her own deep breath. “Spitfire. I need you to investigate this for me. Do not just send your underlings, I need you to go as well. Find and apprehend Rainbow Dash. And...” Spitfire could swear she saw a tear, but it was quickly covered and wiped away by her queen's wispy mane. “...And if you see but a single trace of Twilight Sparkle, apprehend her IMMEDIATELY, and above all else. Now go.” The pegasus bowed, and quickly flew from the throne room...Though not quite as recklessly this time.

Nyx was left to think to herself, wondering if she should dare even hope. After all, no magic could bring back the dead. And she had tried. By the night, she had tried. And even if she was alive...Did she still hate her so much? The last time she had spoken with her 'mother', it had involved the unicorn attempting to kill her. Still. She straightened herself up, and returned to reading the reports she had to look over. Even if she was here, and alive, it wouldn't matter. She had her world, she had her subjects, and she had her way. She'd made up her mind about what she was long ago, and she had no reason to doubt herself anymore.

Except, of course, for her flank, which was still just as blank as it had always been.

---

Rainbow Dash had made it to Sugarcube Corner just as her three friends...Well, friend and two friend doubles...Were leaving the establishment. Dash didn't want to deal with explaining. It was too slow. And her display HAD to be attracting attention. It certainly got Ponyville's! Captivated ponies were staring up at the expanding rings, including the three she was looking for. With a grin, she enacted her plan. The cyan pegasus swooped down, and snatched Twilight up, shooting out of Ponyville. As expected, the unicorn shrieked in surprise, and Dash slowed down just enough to avoid leaving a contrail...And to let Rarity and Pinkie chase her. Well, Pinkie would never have a problem. Rarity might, and she needed BOTH of them to come along with her as soon as possible.

The two ponies gave chase, but so did a few others. Guards by the look of it. Dash cursed under her breath. How could she NOT have seen that coming? Twilight had been squirming under the pegasus, but stopped when she realized who had her. “Rainbow Dash, what are you doing?!”

“Can't really explain right now, Twi! Just hang on!” Before the unicorn could get out another complaint or protest, the Element of Loyalty dropped from the skies, making Twilight scream out in surprise in fear, clinging to her friend with all she had. Dash leveled out about ten feet over the ground, flying low now to lose the pursuers. “Just great. How am I going to get Rarity or Pinkie NOW? If those guards see me going to the orchard, that'll be trouble...” Nevermind the fact that she made it obvious she had come FROM the orchard, Dash hadn't really thought that part through. Nonetheless, Dash figured at this point it would be worth it. They could always take out the guards afterwards, anyway.


---

Somehow, in the confusion, Rarity had lost sight of Pinkie. That was probably for the best, as she felt oh so very confused right now. A pony that was supposed to be dead swept from the sky and carried off another pony that was supposed to be dead. The only thought she could hold at the moment that was at all coherent was to follow the pegasus to her destination. She wasn't exactly built for exertion, of course, and the two guards that'd also started after Rainbow Dash outpaced her by far. But Rarity was nothing if not determined to get answers for this, and perhaps the guards would be able to get her old friend to be still long enough to GET those answers. After all, this wasn't a coincidence. It couldn't be.

Rainbow Dash was headed for the orchard; of that she was sure. She had come from it too, that was readily obvious from a glance at the sky before Twilight had been snatched up. But why? Applejack no longer lived at the farm, and if Dash had already been there, she must have known this. Rarity found it harder to think as her air dwindled away, having to stop for a moment, and catch her breath. As the white unicorn panted, her eyes remained locked on Sweet Apple Acres. It wasn't too far away now, just a little more...

---

Rainbow Dash set down inside the orchard, the trees blocking the approaching guards' lines of sight. That bought her enough time to tell Twilight that there was no time (for explanations), and that she should really think about helping take the guards down. Twilight still had her sleep spell, if nothing else. The unicorn didn't agree. As far as she was concerned, they should be talking to this Queen Nyx, not knocking out her guards. “...Which is why all this was unnecessary! I'm sure she'd help us get home!”

“Twilight, are you stupid or something? This is a universe where you're dead. She made a STATUE of you! If anything she'll lock you up so you'll never leave!” The pegasus thought this was blatantly obvious. She'd even face-hooved when the unicorn suggested this. “Twi, look, she's the BAD GUY here, okay? I talked to Applejack about it. And does Applejack lie? No, she doesn't!”

“Just because she doesn't lie very much doesn't mean she knows everything! Show me a little bit of proof of her being the 'bad guy', and then maybe I'll help you attack two ponies who are just doing their job!” Twilight Sparkle was trying to control her temper now. The very idea of her Nyx doing this was all too plausible at one point, sure, but maybe there were extenuating circumstances. Things might have been different elsewhere, too.

“Uh, hello? Never stopped the whole eternal night thing? Besides, those guards are chasing us while yelling 'criminal scum' at me! I'm pretty sure they're trying to hurt us!”

“And I'm SURE you performing a Sonic Rainboom right over the town had NOTHING to do with that!”

“But Twi, you gotta help! I can't go to prison! I'd get bent over in ten seconds flat! I mean, look how hot I am!” Twilight wasn't sure whether she was supposed to take that seriously or not, so she settled for avoiding it entirely.

“Dash, look. I trust you, you're one of my best friends. But right now, I really, REALLY just want to see Nyx and get out of this bizarro-land. Okay?” The unicorn sniffed a bit, tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

“Oh man, not that...That's not FAIR...” Dash could only watch, however, as the lavender pony began to cry softly.

“I just want to go home and see my Nyx. My daughter, Dash!” The pegasus awkwardly embraced her friend, sighing.

“I know, Twilight, I know. But look...Just please listen! Applejack said-” Before she could finish, Twilight had jerked herself away with a fierce scowl, still crying.

“No! I'm going with these guards, and you can't stop me!” Before Rainbow Dash could, indeed, stop her, the magician teleported away. With a swear, the cyan pegasus looked around for her frantically.

“No. Nononono! Dammit, Twilight!” She zoomed into the sky, looking for signs of the unicorn, and she found it...With her being escorted away by those said guards. And...Rarity! Yes! The pegasus dove for the white unicorn, praying to Celestia SHE would listen to her...

---

Applejack had a very bad feeling about the cottage the moment she approached it. It simply felt like something was wrong. The farm-mare was cautious in her venture forward, keeping to the shadows of trees and small hills to avoid detection as she crept around the perimeter, scouting. Her suspicious were verified when she saw a unicorn slip into the trees of the Everfree as quietly as a mouse. “Nyx's rangers are keepin' an eye on th' place...How'm Ah gonna git in now?” The rangers wouldn't be patrolling in any pattern. They would be essentially random. And there was no telling if her tracks were already discovered. Casting a look over her shoulder to make sure she wasn't being snuck up on, the earth pony saw nothing. A gaze around the home showed no current watchers...But she knew they were there. “Hay wit' it. We're not gonna be stayin' here long anyhow.”

With that thought, Applejack shot to the front door, grasped the handle in her teeth, and...Locked. She seethed for just a moment before she felt a magic gripping her. Before she had the chance to react, she'd been teleported inside by Trixie. “Wha' in tarnati-” She was cut off as she saw the blue unicorn, and understood. “Where's Fluttershy, darlin'?” The pale-yellow pegasus was nowhere to be seen in the main portion of the treehome. Trixie turned her eyes down, fighting down fresh tears, and Applejack widened her eyes, running straight to the Element of Kindness's bedroom. Even as she threw it open, her mind was already expecting the worse. A bed empty, or worse, a corpse. She thanked the sun, the moon, and everything in between that neither was the case, as the pegasus started with a squeak at the sudden entrance.

Before Applejack could fully process her relief, however, Fluttershy leaped from the bed and pressed herself close to her old friend, face burying in her tied-back blonde mane. “Oh Applejack...I-I'm so very glad to see you...” The farmfilly took a deep breath, and gave the pegasus a squeeze. She was younger than her by a few years, but Applejack had always seen her as a little sister. She sure acted like one.

“Ah'm glad ta see ya too, sugarcube, but wha's Trixie's problem? Sh' looks like sh's guilty 'bout somethin'.” Fluttershy hesitated, but gently pulled back. When the orange mare saw her friend's right eye, she couldn't help but pull back in horror. The bandages were obviously sunken in over the socket, and that could only mean...”Oh mah Celestia...! Fluttershy, who did this ta ya?!” The pegasus closed her one good eye and shuddered, lowering her head.

“P-Perfect Cut...I was protecting Trixie...And she...She...” Another shudder and a soft sob cut off her answer. The farmfilly grit her teeth, feeling her blood boil. That monster being allowed to live and be free was a big enough crime in itself to justify any rebellion against Nyx. “She...Hurt me...It still hurts a lot...But I'm ready. If it's time, I mean...” Applejack was still infuriated by the very idea of the psychopath going this far, though she knew many more horrid things had been done by Perfect's hooves. If only she could get her own hooves around that thing's neck and squeeze it until it popped, she'd be happy even if her rebellion failed. But what was that Fluttershy said?

The pegasus was meekly waiting for Applejack's response. The intense look of rage on the earth pony's face scared her, but she knew she had nothing to fear from her old friend. Applejack looked a bit ashamed of herself for getting lost in her anger and took a deep breath, forcing a smile onto her face. “Wha' was tha' ya said, Fluttershy?”

“I-I said...I'm ready...”

“Readeh? Readeh fer wha'?” Fluttershy got a determined look in her eye and a serious frown on her face, wanting to show Applejack that she was, indeed, prepared for this.

“Confronting Queen Nyx. That's...Why you're here, right? With Trixie?” She lowered her head again, an apologetic look on her face as she realized she may have spoken too soon. “I-If not...I'm sorry for assuming...” Applejack chuckled a bit, though it was more humorless sounding than she intended.

“Nah, sugarcube. Ah dun realleh think...” And then she thought about it. Why wait? With the guard having been raised, it would be assumed they would flee. Dash had put on a show, but she wasn't a known member of the rebellion. They wouldn't expect an attack at the palace from the Elements of Harmony, and even if they did the guard was lighter just from having so many of them charging around Ponyville. Maybe...Just maybe...They could get to Queen Nyx with little resistance. They could end this now. They could put a stop to Perfect's murders, at the very least. “...Actually, Fluttershy, Ah think yer right. Ah think we should do this now. Are ya sure yer ready fer this, though?” Fluttershy nodded slowly, again regaining her determined glare.

“I-It hurts...But I don't mind...I can do this...” She knew she could, with the help of her friends...

---

In a world where the sunlight still reached Equestria, a library stood, still full of furniture and books, a worried dragon, and an equally worried unicorn who had decided she was responsible for the filly that had been left beind. She was worried for Twilight, who had vanished, and she was worried for little Nyx, who had only gotten a few hours of sleep last night. The young alicorn showed it, too. She was sluggish, grumpy, and overly emotional...Well, two out of three were abnormal.

Rarity had attempted to pull her away from her mother's books and papers, but the alicorn had proved very stubborn. She did her best to make sure the foal was fed and cared for, but she felt...Well, she felt ignored. Nyx went about this with a passion similar to Twilight, but she was far more grim about it. After all, she felt as though it was her responsibility to care for this.

Given the circumstances, she supposed Nyx was doing...Well. She spent the entirety of yesterday being inconsolable, but now the foal had been working non-stop. As far as the fashionista could gather, she was trying to figure out what had happened, why, and how to replicate it. That was an admirable goal, to say the least, and that Nyx had gone about it with absolute attention and determination. Unfortunately, she was failing, as it seemed from her growing frustration. Rarity found herself once again opening her mouth to try to plead with the young one to at least take a break, before she was interrupted by a growl from the young alicorn. "I can't do it! I don't have momma's education and I don't have her smarts!" She plopped down, a despairing look on her face. She refused to let the tears come this time, though. She wouldn't cry, she would be a brave girl for her momma. But her eyes watered all the same.

"And that, dear, is why I've sent a letter to the Princesses. I'm sure they will be able to..." She was going to say 'save Twilight', but something in Rarity told her she should preserve the poor filly's ego. "...Help you in your research." Nyx looked up, taking her glasses off to wipe her eyes dry with a hoof. Her striking draconic eyes appeared from behind those frames, and returned to normal when she let them fall back over haphazardly. Rarity's horn glowed as she gently pushed the glasses back into place.

"Thank you, Ms. Rarity..." She looked down, ashamed that she'd been so focused on doing it herself, she had never even thought of asking Celestia or Luna for help. She looked around at the massive mess of books she'd made, and started putting them away. Thanks to her particularly strong magic, she was able to put many books up on their shelves at once. Though, to Spike's dismay, in the wrong orders. However, the dragon was too worried about Twilight to either care too much about that, OR fawn over Rarity, which both relieved and concerned the unicorn.

"Think nothing of it, dear. They'll arrive soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, why don't you make sure Spike is alright?" Rarity had learned over time that the best way to keep Nyx happy in times of trouble was to give the young one someone else to make happy. It worked this time as well, though not with the same level of gusto or enthusiasm. The white unicorn bit her lip, looking to the two very glum little ones trying to console each other, and hoped the princesses would arrive soon...They hadn't even sent a return letter, yet.

---

In a world where the stars eternally look down on Equestria, Rainbow Dash hid as the guards went by, taking Twilight with them. Rarity walked with them, still seeming flustered, but she was quickly putting on a mask of indifference. Dash, on the other hand, was equal parts confused, stunned, and horrified. Rarity had not responded how she thought. The unicorn, at the notion of taking down Queen Nyx, had reacted almost violently. In fact, she threatened the pegasus with her horn, chasing her off. “What the hay is her problem?! Horseapples, has she gone INSANE?!” Dash waited for the guards to be out of eyeshot, then shook her head. Not her problem, now. They were going to the palace, and that was pretty much it. She could take on those guards single-hooved if she needed to, but with Rarity and Twilight with them, she felt a lot less confidant about her chances. She rose up, and spread her wings. “Gotta get to Applejack. Hope she's got a plan for this...”

Before she could take off, she heard a poofing sound behind and below the tree she'd chosen to hide in. Looking down, the pegasus saw the very pony she'd hoped to see, along with Fluttershy and...”Ugh. Well, least I won't have to put up with her by myself...” “Hey, down there.” Dash glided down as the others looked to her. “I got bad news, AJ, real b-OH MY BUCKIN' CELESTIA! Fluttershy what happened to you?!” The demure pegasus looked down, and Applejack held up a hoof.

“Not important now. Bad news?” Dash only reluctantly looked away from the pegasus she considered her best friend of the other five, and back to the farm-mare.

“Twilight and Rarity are both crazy! Twilight thinks she can reason with her, and went WITH the guards! Rarity almost attacked me when I told her we needed to save Twilight! I swear, I don't know what's wrong with her!” The earth pony looked dumbstruck herself. Why would Rarity do that? This changed everything. They couldn't go in there without Rarity being ready to do her part. And where was-

“Hi, Applejack!” Everyone jumped as Pinkie popped out of a newly dug hole in the ground, beaming widely. She shook herself, somehow completely clearing the dirt from her mane, tail, and coat...By getting it all over the others. “What's going on, huh? I thought you were in that rebellion thingy, whatcha doin' in Ponyville?”

“How...Ah dun even...” Applejack sighed. Why even bother. Then she got an idea, and grinned. “Nevermind. Hey, Pinkie?”

“Yeeeeees?”

“Ah heard th' guards at th' palace realleh wanna play tag 'gin...”