• Published 26th May 2014
  • 17,276 Views, 597 Comments

Casting a Shadow - Ssendam the Masked



A man discovers the Kraahkan and gains the powers of Makuta. After 4,000 years in Tartarus, he gains the form of Teridax as well.

  • ...
81
 597
 17,276

You Complete Me

As my Generals walked out of the meeting room, I sighed, exhausted mentally. Not that I could be exhausted physically- but perhaps a slight bit of downtime would be good for me and my focus. I then trudged back, to the one room where they were never to go- my strategy room. I opened the door, pushing through the huge piles of newspaper that had accumulated there like they weighed nothing. The past three days had been spent scouring the newspapers for information on Tirek's whereabouts, but there were other newspapers there as well- newspapers that would never be published in this universe.

News of my fellow humans. I'd been raiding their dimensions under various shapeshifted disguises, grabbing as many newspapers as I could in order to gain an accurate insight into my enemies' heads. When Phase Two rolled on, it was imperative that I could predict their behaviour. After all, the other humans had some interesting powers. If I wanted to take the entire Equestrian multiverse, then I would need some serious firepower.

The best way would be to simply absorb more alicorns, but I didn't have the power to freely jump between dimensions just yet. Pinpointing a dimension from the myriad billions would be impossible for a normal person. Luckily, I wasn't a normal person- I hadn't been ever since I'd put on my Kraahkan. The mask, while it had led me to do villainous things, had its own motivations. Plus, Prison had been a good place to spend looking at myself and spotting the flaws in me. I had used my four thousand year long sentence in order to psychoanalyse myself, and I realised one thing:

I had wanted this.

I wanted to conquer everything, to see my foes crushed and broken beneath my feet. That had been a simple burst of Understanding, one of significant personal insight. All of my actions, though led on by a mask that wouldn't just give me the free information that I wanted, were motivated while I was in full control of my faculties. And it was thus that my plans- and my ego- had grown in scale. At first, it had simply been 'retaliate at sisters,' but four thousand years in a cell had changed my thinking to one thing- total domination.

And I had to admit, my Understanding of matters helped out immensely. When I'd put on that Kraahkan, I'd intentionally omitted the detail of what I'd seen when putting it on. After all, Understanding isn't the kind of thing you can just inflict on somebody just by showing them a pretty picture. You have to make them feel the weight of understanding. And for all my knowledge, that piece of wisdom that had been hammered into me by this simple protosteel mask was the one piece that I treasured above all else.

I saw the multiverse. Each and every little detail, from the spin of an atom to the great shifting of an entire plane of existence, of the Void and the Things That Dwell Within, of the Big Bang and the Little Whimper... I'd seen it all, and the details of it had pounded through my brain and continuously drummed at my subconscious. I paused, then shrugged. So maybe I was a little out of it. That was alright. I turned, refocusing on the important aspect of this strategy room. Namely, that there was something out of place.

I'd taken one piece out of there- the Malideus piece. I don't really remember why I'd done so- I think it may have been to prove a point, or just simple absent-mindedness. Whatever the case, I was going to replace it on the board. I replaced it on its board, then looked around the dingy, paper-filled room. In this room, I predicted each and every little thing that was likely to happen, with regards to previous standards of behaviour that my fellow Displaced all had. Each and every part of the room was covered in newspaper, often obscuring the tine boards that my pieces were on. But there was another door- only really visible if you really focused on it close enough. I walked over, and opened it with my magnetic powers.

Through here was my sanctum. Normally, the room was where I'd gone to sleep, perchance to dream of bigger and greater things in the multiverse, a way to cope with Understanding everything. It was normally completely clean, nothing on the floor or the walls, just black protodermis blocks and a stolen bed. The bed had long since rotted away, and I had it replaced with a one ton block of protodermis. I was sad to see that my bed had rotted away- another small piece of familiarity had gone with the wind of time.

It was here that my equal's Piece was located. I didn't trust it anywhere else. The walls were dotted with pictures of him, and articles had content related to him obsessively circled with red. He... he was my equal. The only being I'd found across the multiverse who could Understand me. Me. The great plotter and schemer, who because he wanted to spite Celestia turned first their own warden, then her sister, and then her lover into works of evil. I was proud of that. I'd laughed heartily when I'd heard the news. Celestia's life being ruined brought me laughter.

I looked at the life-sized sculpture of Auric Fulcrum, masterfully done. It was only fitting that my only equal should have the best work I'd ever spent on a masterpiece- I know he'd do the same for me. I'd spent a lot of time observing every little detail about him I could, after all. Truthfully, this level of obsession creeped even me out slightly, but I persevered. Why shouldn't I admire my equal?

"Auric... Auric, Auric, Auric." I rolled the name on my voicebox, enjoying the feel of the name. It even sounded good to the ear. I leant in closer.
"Auric. You may never hear this, but... it has to be said."
I paused, trying to sort out my feelings and get a grip. Since truly becoming a Makuta, I'd lost all semblence of a sex drive. I didn't feel attracted to anybody. Well... almost everybody.
"Auric... I need you." I got up close to the statue. Maybe I didn't love him, but I still needed him. It was a physical need for this person, who I would likely never meet. How ironic- the one man I respect doesn't even know my name.
"I obsess over you. I can't stop thinking about you."
I examined the photos I'd taken of him, the photos that others had taken. "I feel a greater connection with you than with almost anybody else. You are almost more dear to me than my family, Auric."

I stroked my masterwork's face. "You are my equal. Both in your power and in your intellect. It's even in your sense of aesthetic, your love of art and things that are beautiful. You and I, Auric... we are truly greats. Kings among men."
I shapeshifted into a snake and wrapped myself around him. "Auric, Auric, Auric. You are the only one who could get me, the only one who would Understand. And I'm the only one who can ever understand you truly."
I shapeshifted back into my normal form, and I leant in. "You and I, Auric. We, and only we, can complete each other. Before I discovered you, Auric, I never felt complete. I thought I was complete, but I wasn't really. Now I know you exist... I am complete."

I paced away from him. "Auric, I've been searching for three days, and do you know how many humans I found in different Equestrias? Hundreds. Yet how many truly understand me? How many are my equal? Who would be the only ones allowed to defeat me?" I whirled around, staring at his statue with a snarl on my face.
"One. Just... one."
I continued pacing. "Darth Vulcan is a misanthrope who doesn't understand the true nature of power. Solaire is a possibly lobotomised moron! The ones known as Tobi and Yoshimitsu are definitely lobotomised! Malideus is but a puppet for several greater demons! Kat is a fool granted godlike power who obsesses over a dead comrade! And there are so many morons out there. So many! I feel my brains dribbling out of my ears when I spot them! And those who aren't evil are even worse! Vapid fools, chasing horses to screw! Trolls, messing with a populace who won't even get half their jokes! And until I found you, I was seriously contemplating just going on the warpath against those 'Conversion Bureau' universes! And you know what I hate about this?"

I leant in. "It's because I've seen how petty and small our race is. You know what the optimum population is modelled on? The iceberg. Ten percent above water, and the rest below. We are that ten percent, Auric. We are truly great. We're kings! The most important piece on the board of life. That's why no other piece on my boards has that designation. You are the only king, Auric. I am the only other one. And if you die before I meet you... I may never forgive you. I'd find your grave and resurrect you. So don't you dare... don't you dare die, okay? I know I have a kill on sight, but honestly, that's to reassure my Generals. That I think you're a threat. They won't kill you without me around."

I turned to him, and for some reason I shapeshifted back to human form. "But it's okay, Auric. It's okay. We have each other." I leant on him, staring up at the ceiling. Even if he was a statue, his presence comforted me. I paused, then smirked, turning back.
"But we must destroy the things we love, Auric. Understand that."
I placed a hand on Auric's chest. "You and me, Auric... we are but two sides of the same coin. I am you, if you let yourself appreciate your true power. Both of us... we have a greater Understanding than those fools who think they get me. But you, Auric... I say it again, but you, should we ever meet... you would get me."

I then turned back to human form. "Auric... I'm going to break you. I'll destroy everything and everyone you love."
I clutched the cold, stone visage. "Because it's chess, my friend. Kings have to destroy each other. You raise your army, I'll raise mine. That's how this game of ours works. To think differently is to deny the true nature of the world, the multiverse. Should we defy nature's course? No, we do not. We adhere to it rigorously."

I stared at a board, reverting to my more magnificent self. "The game's starting, Auric. And it will soon be your move..."

Author's Note:

Teridax will only ever acknowledge that there is one equal to him.
Teridax is what I think a villain should be- complex. His motives, while simple, are actually fairly complicated. His personality ranges from fatherly to outright sociopathic.

Above all else, he's not a psychopath. He's a villain who delights in twisting the knife. A Magnificent Bastard, Benevolent Boss, Wicked Cultured, Unfettered Complete Monster. That's a fairly accurate description of him, I think.