• Published 26th May 2014
  • 17,274 Views, 597 Comments

Casting a Shadow - Ssendam the Masked



A man discovers the Kraahkan and gains the powers of Makuta. After 4,000 years in Tartarus, he gains the form of Teridax as well.

  • ...
81
 597
 17,274

The beginning of the End.

When the world comes down on you, sometimes you have to find somebody who really Understands.

I stared at the shrine to Auric, and made sure my wards were up. “Auric, I… I admire you for a couple of reasons. You… you want to solve the problems of the world, of the multiverse, same as I do. Unfortunately, our ways differ too much.”

I sighed, leaning against a wall. “I know you won’t listen to me when the final confrontation comes up. That’s alright. Maybe one of your allies will be listening. And I wish that it wasn’t in our destiny to fight, I really do. But in the end… in the end, it has to be this way.

I chuckled. That chuckle quickly escalated, until I was laughing myself to the point I would have vomited were I human. “I’m not an alternate version of you, Auric, neither are you an alternate version of me. I’m your dark reflection, Auric. I’m so much like you in so many ways, and yet so different in others. I’m what you will need to become in order to change anything in this sick, sick multiverse.”

I gripped the statue’s face, glaring into its eyes. It would all come out in the battle, but sometimes you have to talk about things first, to make the message clear. “I hate everything about this multiverse, Auric. I hate the Sys Admins. I hate that they get their position, mostly out of luck and destiny. Destiny! Is that any way to choose the people who run the multiverse? No! It’s not!”

The ground started cracking beneath my feet as I fumed. “There are only a couple of Sys Admins who do their damn job. Not to mention the masses of glitched code that comprise some universes. Why haven’t they been deleted? Because there aren’t enough Sys Admins. Yet they won’t make more because of the orders from their superiors.”

I chuckled again. “It took a lot of searching, Auric. But I found out about the Powers that Be. It only makes sense; the Sys Admins all seem to move with a purpose that couldn’t be comunicated amongst themselves. So there have to be people above them, people who are more powerful than they.”

I absently started tapping on the handle of my staff.

I looked again into the stone Auric’s eyes. “Umbra thinks that I just want to conquer everything, doesn’t he? Too bad for him that I won our little coding battle.” I smirked at that; forcing a Sys Admin to use a personal style of coding, even though I shouldn’t have been able to manipulate the original coding at all, was a win in my book. Sometimes you had to lose in order to win. I was a fan of that kind of victory. Nevertheless, I felt like monologuing more. “I won’t describe my plan; there are too many prying eyes watching me, like Umbra. But my plan is not what it seems; it’s never what it seems.”

I turned and started pacing, needing the space in order to talk a bit more. “And that’s why you were my equal, Auric. You singlehandedly screwed up my plans better than Umbra ever had. He’s not my equal, he’s my inferior. Only you are my equal. A three-dimensional being with my knowledge, my power, my charisma. You have every advantage that I possess. It’ll be a battle of equals, as Destiny planned. I wish that we didn't have to fight, but it's in our nature, Auric."

I idly flicked the last string of Fate, that had determined victory for Auric. “I want this to be a fair fight, Destiny. No pre-determined plotlines at all. Who wins, will win. And who loses… will lose.”

With that, I chuckled darkly. “I have no idea whether I’m going to win or lose against you, Auric. And that’s what makes it so exciting. What makes life worth living is not seeing the Threads of Fate directing you down a specific path. You’re like me, Auric- a man who makes his own path, who refuses to listen to the weak unless they have a reason to direct you. The man who rages against the gods and doesn’t compromise, doesn’t take no for an answer, and gets righteously angry whenever those close to you are harmed. Just like me underneath your coat of morals.”

I stared out, out at the window. “There can only be one king, however. And I don’t know what colour he’s going to be on the board of the multiverse.”

Not that I wasn’t going to take every advantage I could. I teleported to my personal forge, and picked up several chunks of protodermis. I’d seen him using my gift, and it pleased me immensely. Too complicated though. So I decided to go with a weapon that reflected my genius best.

First, I decided to forgo protodermis entirely; too easy. Instead, I decided to go with a challenge- glass. I teleported to a volcano, ignoring the intense temperatures and the rather surprised teenage dragons wallowing there entirely. I waded through the lava, searching for obsidian in large quantities. A dragon snarled at me, but I simply disintegrated it without much thought. After that, they avoided me. I turned invisible, in case prying eyes were on me, and gathered my obsidian. Task done, I teleported back to my fortress.

With a minor flash of plasma, I carefully shaped the obsidian into a roughly sword-shaped block. Absorbing the plasma from the area and letting the weapon cool, I then started carving durability glyphs into it, turning it from a fragile weapon into a sword capable of enduring the strongest blow. It’d take a meteorite crashing into the blade to break it. Just to be sure of its durabilities, I added several redundant glyphs around the hilt. Then, I started sharpening it.

At first, a normal grindstone was enough. I must have sat there for hours, sharpening the blade enough to cut through a block of wood. I hmmed. “Not nearly sharp enough.”

After that, I moved on to a strap of leather, continuing the sharpening ritual enough to have an incredibly honed edge, enough to qualify for a katana. Again, I hmmed. “Not sharp enough for my tastes just yet.”

Next came cotton. I sharpened the blade with as much care as handling a new-born baby, for yet more hours. I was never more thankful for my ability to ignore sleep and eating, as at least a day had passed in sharpening this blade. When that was done, I swung it through the air, and shook my head. “Definitely not sharp enough.”

Silk was next, and I merely swished the blade along it several dozen times, then swung it through my anvil. The blade carved through the gigantic block of protosteel as a knife through butter. One of my sons gasped at this, but I frowned. “Still not sharp enough.”

I looked at the time and nodded. Yes, this was the time. As I rose and headed outside, Tacish followed me, watching me as I looked at the rising son with a mildly disgusted expression on his face. “Father, what on Earth are ye-”

I was concentrating on the task at hand, bending the sword to meet the sunlight at a very precise angle. For this to work, it had to be perfect, I couldn't afford any distractions. Tavish squinted, then he saw what I was doing. “Oh, come on Father. You’re not seriously sharpening that blade on sunlight, are ye?”

For an answer, I held the blade up. The edges of the weapon glowed a faint blue, and when I swung the blade a small line of fire followed it. I’d managed to sharpen the blade enough that it was splitting the oxygen atoms in the air, and causing a minor atomic reaction. This time, I would have grinned had I teeth and a proper mouth. “Now it’s sharp enough.”

I turned to Tavish. “I shall be calling for my allies now, and on the morrow, we go to confront Auric on his own terms.” I shapeshifted into human form and grinned darkly. “The Endgame is coming, Auric. I hope you’re ready.”

With that, I sent the signal, summoning my allies. A pair of Overlords, the Charizard, and the B.O.W.S that I had been given as a gift all responded with a confirmation. Even the Queen of Fear and the swordswoman responded. It would take some time for them to gather, though. Enough time for Plan C to take effect.

You think I would let my real plan be revealed to the Sys Admins?

Plans within plans, goals within goals. Most people only see what they were meant to see, and the Sys Admins were no exception. As such, I decided to break all previous extrapolations of my behaviour and just confront the alicorns directly. Since the only weapon that was capable of stopping me, the City of Shadows was destroyed (by the Elements of Harmony, no less!) I was confident in my victory.

Author's Note:

This is one of two chapters that are before the confrontation. When the other authors are able to get around to those crossovers, they'll be written and put before this one. Thanks for reading so far, and I'm sorry that the War has not yet reached a successful conclusion.