• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,607 Views, 187 Comments

Mending Light - Kiromancer



Sometimes I dream of who I could be. A powerful figure, strong, unafraid. A valiant Knight who stands to protect the weak. I never had the courage to make anything of myself, despite my dreams. Until I found her.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,607

PreviousChapters Next
75 - Unexpected Booty

With Ivory’s help, Dusky now had a plan. She had the tools and the means to end the Banshee haunting her at her hooves, but first we needed to get home, and that delay made her antsy. It wasn’t the same as before, though. Before, it had been from the not-knowing which kept her on edge, eating away at her. Now, she was focused on the task, and just counting the moments until she had to fight her old foe. All the tension in her was wound tight, like a spring, ready to pounce. It didn’t make me happy, seeing her like that, but it was preferable to seeing her the way she’d been before we reached Ivory’s hut.

She was ready to go as soon as we could, and I could hardly blame her. The sooner we were back in Ponyville, the sooner Ivory’s spells could be cast, and the sooner Dusky would be free of fear. The Cartel and Summer Leaf had haunted her far too long, and Dusky deserved to live her life without constantly looking over her shoulder. Summer’s apparent death had seemed to free her at last, but instead it was only the start of something much worse.

Despite our eagerness to have it finished, Ivory insisted Dusky rest up for at least another night before trying to head back home. She agreed, but since she'd just woken up, going to back to bed that moment wasn't an option. She set about preparing her travel pack, and sharpening her blade. That initially left me with nothing to do but watch, but Dusky had plenty for me to do to help.

Following Dusky's lead, I set about double checking our supplies, gathering whatever we’d need from Ivory’s generous offer of aid, and packing things as best I could for a speedy flight home. At some point, in the midst of packing my own bag, I became aware of just how quiet Dusky had grown. She sat off to the side, her own task momentarily forgotten. Her eyes were on me, but she wasn't really looking at me.

I frowned as she focused her eyes once again. “Dusky? Is something wrong?”

She laughed softly as she shook her head. “Nothing we haven’t discussed. I’m just… sorry. We’re supposed to be on vacation, but here we are preparing to run off and fight another supernatural horror.”

Nodding, I moved up closer. I’d said it before as well, but it was worth repeating. “It’s okay.”

“Is it really, though?” She stared at me with a pained expression and sighed. “This weirdness that follows me, it’s why I was always afraid for my friends. Why I was always convinced I’d never have a special someone. Are you really sure you want to marry into this?”

That broke my heart to hear, but I knew what she meant. She wasn’t the only one at risk anymore. “M-maybe not that in particular, but… everything else makes it worth it.”

“Everything?” Her expression changed rapidly, from one filled with pain and regret, to a smile I’d rarely seen on her face. It was almost… playful? She leaned in closer, “Even this?”
She spun, and before I could react, I found myself staring at her rear end as Dusky wiggled her rump at my face.

What else could I do at that moment? I stared, feeling the blood rush to my face. Something resembling words came out of my mouth. “U-um, yes. I, I mean no. I mean it’s not the most important—”

Dusky turned back, pressing in close and nuzzling against my neck. She giggled softly and whispered. “I know what you meant.”

---

Once everything was packed up, I spent the time pressed close to Dusky. I couldn’t say if she found some kind of escape or solace so close, but I also wasn’t about to complain. Any comfort I could give her before we set out again was more than I could hope for, and in truth, I needed her just as much as she seemed to need me. That seemed to be what we both felt, more often than not.

Ivory left us to pack, busy with her own preparations. She went out from the cabin to check with her sentries, to ensure we had a path clear of any remaining bandits or thugs who might be lingering at the forest's edge. There would be no ambush this time. Not here, at least.

Dusky slept easy that night. Even after all the build-up and preparation, she was still overtired and in need of sleep. We shared a cot that night, and Dusky cuddled up against me. I think we both slept better that night than either of us could have hoped for in the circumstances, but we awoke all too soon.

When the time came to go, I stood back, my flight satchel in place, while Dusky and Ivory said their goodbyes. They were both teary-eyed, beyond a simply parting of friends who only saw each other once in a long while. They both knew the risks of what we were about to do.

It was Ivory who stepped forward first, voice breaking as she did her best to hide her emotions. “One last gift for you before you go.”

Her horn began to glow, and she lowered her head to point it at Dusky, a purple cloud of light flashing outward to surround her.

Dusky stood as still as she could, discomfort crossing her face as she waited for the magic to pass. “What was that?”

Ivory smiled. “A ward of my own devising. I’m afraid it’s a bit crude. It will neither hide you nor bar the banshee from approaching you. However, it will radiate magic that her kind will find quite painful.”

“Which means if she’s determined, she can still affect me?”

“Sadly, yes.” Ivory frowned, shuffling awkwardly. “I wish I could apply a stronger enchantment, but it would not last long enough to be meaningful.”

“Thanks, Ivory. I appreciate it—and everything else you’ve done.” Dusky moved forward and embraced Ivory tight. The unicorn didn’t tense as she’d done when I’d hugged her, she hugged back just as tightly without hesitation. “How long do I have?”

“Twenty-four hours at best. You’d better get going.”

---

With a ticking clock before her protection wore off, we set off as quickly as we dared. Dusky was understandably pre-occupied, calculating a three-day flight to reach Ponyville, if we pushed ourselves. That meant she’d be vulnerable for two days, one night’s rest at the least, if the Banshee found her again. When it found her again.

Our flight path would take us straight south away from Pasture, and the plan was to stop in Las Pegasus. It wasn’t my preferred place to stop, but as mother had once said, ‘Any safe cloud in a storm.’ Dusky should be safe, if Ivory’s ward held out overnight. If not, I was ready. My words didn’t have any effect on the Banshee, I was sure, but they did what they could to bolster Dusky it seemed. If need be, I would stay up once again.

As we approached the edge of the forest under Ivory’s protection, Dusky tilted her head towards me. “Full disclosure, the Gooseneck Galley is a known Mob-owned hotel.”

I nearly stopped mid-flight, staring at Dusky. “W-wait, a Mob hotel? Why?”

“This may sound strange, but as long as we don’t stick our muzzles in their business, it’s the safest place to be.” She sighed. “The Cartel will be at a severe disadvantage if they try to start something in a Mob establishment. In the very least, it should give us time to escape. Otherwise, it’s probably our only chance for a decent rest once we leave these woods.”

I chewed on that for longer than I should have. The Mob wasn’t exactly a group I’d want to associate with, and if this hotel was a known Mob building, I felt like it should be reported to the Guard, or avoided at all cost, or… something other than getting a room there. Then again, my experience in Fillydelphia told me it wasn’t ever that easy. “Alright, Dusky. If you think it’s best. I don’t like it… but I trust you.”

When we reached the forest's edge, everything was eerily quiet. There was no ambush, nor was there any obvious escort, but I suppressed a shudder once again, just knowing that Ivory wouldn't leave us unprotected until she was sure we were outside her sphere of influence. The dead were still watching. It was so very strange to consider that they were on our side, as it were. Ivory was very kind, and it was obvious now why she and Dusky were friends, but it still made me uneasy, more than I really wanted to admit. I knew why Dusky had kept the truth hidden for so long.

From the forest, we flew on through the day, the sun arching over us on its journey across the sky. When twilight finally fell, the sky had grown cloudy, as it seemed the local weather team was setting up for a long summer rain. The glow of the sun faded below the horizon, but we couldn’t see the moon rise. It wasn't much, but it seemed to me a bad omen to stop under a moonless sky, and I was glad when Dusky decided we should push ahead until we reached Las Pegasus.

It took another few hours before the bright city lights began to grow ahead of us. They were all lit, like another moon sitting on the horizon, gaudy and garish but just as bright. Coming in just as impressive it had been on our trip out. Up close, I still found it to be too much.

We navigated in through the evening traffic, Las Pegasus seemed to never stop being busy, and landed a few blocks into town. From our landing point, it was only a trip across the street to one of the giant, looming hotels. The Gooseneck Galley Hotel was a towering building painted in gaudy gold, made all the worse by the glaring lights pointed at the building to make it reflect that much brighter.

Inside the gated courtyard, the building’s ugly paint and ominous size was put in bizarre contrast with an awkward looking boat, I assumed this was the titular Gallery. It sat above a water fountain that gushing up a pillar of water, made to look like it was supporting the large model boat, despite the numerous metal poles that actually supported it. More lights were arrayed upon the water, so that the bubbling water reflected along the bottom of the vessel, giving at least some appearance that it was sailing atop the sea.

The boat itself was remarkably plain, with wood that looked like wood, not painted up in overly bright neon color, and the thick sails seemed to catch some breeze in the air, as they billowed out to speed the boat along its immobile journey. It’d all be impressive, if not for the terrifying goose carved into the bow. Another carving stood on the deck, an earth pony mare, made to look like a storybook pirate, complete with a skull-and-crossbones upon her hat. The overall look defused any ability to take the galley, or the hotel named after it, seriously.

If Dusky hadn’t forewarned me that this hotel was a front for the Mob, I’d have thought it was an attraction for foals. It was almost too ridiculous, like someone had taken a young colt and asked him if he were a Mob pony, where would he hide, and he replied, ‘in a pirate ship!’.

“You ready?” Dusky’s voice snapped me back to the moment.

I glanced at the ship again, raising an eyebrow. “I… I don’t know.”

“We’re just a couple of tourists, wandering into a nice, overly fancy hotel so we can do what everyone comes to Las Pegasus to do.”

“Right.” I took a deep breath. “Nothing to be nervous about.”

“Exactly.” Dusky moved up and nudged me onward, then crossed the street to enter into the courtyard.

We passed through the gate and around the ship to reach a pair of oversize glass doors, surrounded by golden frames. With a touch of magic, they slid open on their own, and my general impression that they’d let a five-year old design this place suddenly felt a bit too on the nose.

It was all gold, with all the things a five-year old colt would guess were aboard a pirate ship scattered through the room, from treasure chests that served for tables and piles of 'treasure' set in a display case, to various paintings of boats, treasure, and ponies in pirate garb. Bright purple throw rugs made up of entirely too thick shaggy carpet were placed throughout. A gold plated tavern bar blocked off one wall, behind which sat two receptionists, both, naturally, dressed like pirates, one of them even wearing an eyepatch.

One of the receptionists, a stallion sporting a dark blue bandanna over his head, called out to us with a wave. “Arrr! Welcome to the Gooseneck Galley! What can I do you for today?”

Dusky stepped up to the receptionist, and I followed close behind. She smiled wide and cheerfully responded. “We’ve come to see sights and sounds of Las Pegasus, and decided that the experience just wouldn’t be complete without staying a night in a ritzy hotel.”

”Yar! Then you’ve come to the right place. We offer only the ritziest rooms, decorated by the very best of our plunder!” I almost broke, the stallion’s accent and performance was nearly too much. “What be your name, lass? And how long will ye be stayin’ with us?”

“Evening Star. And just one night.” Dusky looked back at me and grinned. I smiled back, a bit forced, but I wanted to make it all look good. The seriousness of our plight was definitely clashing with how… ridiculous this all was.

“One night… for Miss Evening Star. That’ll be four hundred doubloons.”

I almost fell over at the cost, and even Dusky nearly skipped a beat as she turned back to the counter. She simply nodded to the receptionist and started to count out the bits from the coin-purse in her flight satchel.

Once the receptionist finished counting out the bits, he placed a large silver key on the counter and grinned. “Yar, we be settled! Elevators be just down the hall. Take ‘em to the second floor and ye be the third door on the right. Enjoy yer stay and don’t forget the buffet runs until midnight!”

Dusky thanked the stallion, taking the key and heading off in the direction he’d pointed us towards. I craned my head back to try to wrap my head around it all, feeling so strange about this entire endeavor. This was the last thing I’d been picturing happening today, that was certain.

With a laugh, Dusky leaned in close. “Enjoying the theatrics?”

“Um, I guess. I’d have probably loved this place as a colt.” I glanced over at Dusky and forced a smile, feeling like an idiot. “Now it just seems to be a bit much. And… a bit weird, for a few reasons.”

“I get what you’re saying.” Dusky spared a glance back, then shook her head. “But, it’s not like they can have a sign outside advertising their true nature. Nor can their employees do anything that might give them away. Come to think of it, I’m not even sure that receptionist was in the know.”

A brief elevator ride up, and we were at the threshold to our room, guarded by an overly lavish golden door. Everything was so over the top, I was almost afraid the room would be worse, a glaring yellow nightmare that was as likely to keep us awake as any thoughts of danger. Dusky fit in the key and pushed open the door, stepping in just far enough to let me through before she closed the door behind us.

I stepped into the room and felt my jaw drop. The room was probably bigger than my house, with a spectacular bay window that, while not offering the best view from the second floor, still let the city lights in to play across the room. A large wooden desk took up half the wall, barren save for a quill, parchment paper, and a menu of the hotel’s breakfast offerings. I stepped up towards the window and glanced up, at last seeing the moon poking out from behind the clouds.

The centerpiece of the room was a large king-size bed, in a grand wooden frame, complete with a thick red privacy curtain that could be pulled around the bed, concealing it from the floor all the way up to the ceiling.

Dusky walked behind me, striding up to the bed and setting a hoof down on it. “Guess we don’t need to worry about room service walking in during our private moments.” She giggled and smirked at me, that same playful look in her eyes.

The image of her wiggling her butt flashed before my eyes, and the heat rose in my cheeks once again. She couldn’t be serious. “R-right. We wouldn’t want them to, um, see how rowdy we get.”

“Indeed.” Her expression didn’t change. She leaned in closer and kissed my cheek, only making me blush harder.

Dusky turned back towards the room, taking it all in and checking each room and closet.

I sighed, staring at an oversized painting of a large parrot in full pirate attire that hung on one wall. Between all the over-sized furniture and on point decorations, it actually did give some illusion to being in a private cabin aboard some luxury ship. “A-and I thought Myrtail was too much.”

“This is definitely well out of my normal budget range, that’s for sure.” Dusky laughed from the bathroom as she finished checking everything. She slipped out and came back over to the bed to sit beside me. “Would you believe me if I told you this is only a mid-high-grade hotel when it comes to Las Pegasus?”

That nearly took me aback, but then I thought back to the sheer scale of some of the ornate buildings Dusky had shown me on our first visit. “Yeah, um, after seeing the strip, I think I would.”

“Still.” She leaned in closer, grinning wide, and it felt good to see her as relaxed as she was. We hadn’t made it yet, but the first step was over. For the moment, we were safe. “As far as hideouts to hunker down and fortify, we could have chosen worse.”

PreviousChapters Next