• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,606 Views, 187 Comments

Mending Light - Kiromancer



Sometimes I dream of who I could be. A powerful figure, strong, unafraid. A valiant Knight who stands to protect the weak. I never had the courage to make anything of myself, despite my dreams. Until I found her.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,606

PreviousChapters Next
63 - Traditions

The whole ceremony was beautiful. Following the processional march, Terra and Stalwart exchanged their vows, amazing words expressing just what they’d come to mean to one another. If I hadn’t already been crying, by now I’d have been a mess for sure. The pair exchanged matching pendants, and then leaned in to share their first kiss as a married couple. It was all so emotional, I couldn’t keep the smile off my face.

Soon enough it was over and the wedding party moved out through the hall. The hotel staff waited in the wings as the hall was emptied, and we all moved back out into the waiting area, where again they had drinks and snacks at the ready. The wedding hall itself was closed off as the staff went about resetting it for the reception.

I walked out to where I could look out over the beach, and watched the wedding party pose for photographs. Terra and Stalwart stood out in their attire, and Merri and Starshadow were striking enough even from a distance, but my eyes were on Dusky alone.

I wanted to give her a day like this. As many days like this as I could, full of love. It sounded sappy even to me, but I couldn’t help it. Weddings always made me feel warm like that. The thought of planning my own seemed so foreign that I may as well have been thinking about flying off to the moon, yet here I was, with an engagement stone back home just waiting for the right moment.

The wedding party soon finished up, and they all moved back up the beach to the hotel. I watched them go, then turned my attention back out to the ocean. My second view of the ocean, and Dusky had been right. It was so different from the first.

---

The reception was impressive, both in the number of ponies in attendance, and in the fact that the hotel managed to get it all provided to the crowd. Far too many ponies were here, enough to make me feel just a little uncomfortable, despite myself. I didn’t recognize the majority, save the very few of us from Ponyville who were Terra’s good friends.

After dinner, with everypony settled down, the speeches came. The best stallion stood first, shuffling through a few note cards before he cleared his throat and addressed the waiting crowd. After a moment of silence, he looked away from the cards and spoke confidently.

“Construction. Building from scratch. This has always been Stalwart’s calling—so much so, that when his very passion collapsed on him, he took it as a challenge. From a deficit, he reconstructed his life, his career and his love. Terrabona is much the same way and, like the various alloys, the two of them together are stronger than ever. It will be my honour to watch this couple as they one-hundred-and-ten percent their way through life.” He lifted his glass, and we all raised ours in response for the toast, many ponie stomping their hooves in applause.

As he took his seat once again, it was Dusky’s turn. She approached the small podium, her mouth giving a slight twitch of nervousness before she took a deep breath. “I’ve known Terra a long time and the big thing she’s always been about is matching. Just look at her store: it’s a whole business built around bringing people together with the things they need—even if it’s one of the more obscure things around. She’s even tried it with people. And while she can sometimes seem a little pushy, it’s only because she has a big heart. I’ve wondered many a time, when she was going to find a match for herself, for that big heart of hers. Well, today, we can say, with certainty, that that was the day she met Stalwart. Congratulations, you two.”

I smiled, resisting the urge to cheer, but making sure to stomp even louder in response to her speech. I could see the relief wash over her as she stepped away to sit back down next to Terra.

---

There were a few more speeches after Dusky’s, friends and family of the couple each coming up to express their regards to the marriage. As Terra’s parents finished their toast, the best stallion returned to the podium as the applause died down. “That concludes our speeches, which means it’s time for a slow dance.” He turned to the wedded couple and grinned. “Get on up there, you two!”

Terra and Stalwart made their way to the dance floor as quickly as they could manage. The only thing that slowed their pace was Stalwart’s back injury, his brace limiting him. The music was upbeat, not quite the type of close slow dance which I enjoyed, but certainly romantic and intimate all the same. The upbeat tune, and the eagerness with which the married couple moved, were all more than enough to keep everyone’s attention on them.

As the dance ended, the ponies around the dance floor began to stamp their hooves, and a number of unicorns levitated silverware to tap against their glasses. Terra and Stalwart responded to the demands with a kiss, drawing a cheer from the crowd.

“Wow. What a dance! Try not to burn up the floor before the rest of us get out there.” The best stallion called out from the podium, laughing. “Speaking of which, the dance floor is now open. Please join the parents of both Terra and Stalwart in celebrating their new union!”

As ponies began to step out onto the dance floor, my eyes traced back to Dusky. She was already heading over towards me.

Once she reached the table, she dipped her head with a grin. "Care to dance?"

"I thought you'd never ask, Dusky." I smiled back with equal glee as I stood from the table. "Some ponies need to show this wedding how it's done."

She raised an eyebrow as she smirked. "Oh?"

We stepped out to the center of the dance floor and the music started with a lively, upbeat number. Dusky bowed and I took the lead, setting a pace to the music that I knew she could follow, even if her dress slowed her down a little. Between the few times we'd gone dancing on dates, the strange combat dancing we'd found in Ostfriesen, and our sparring sessions under Mint's guidance, it felt like we were in sync closer than ever before. It might have only been my imagination, but I felt like on the dance floor, we were moving as one.

I changed my pace to let Dusky take the lead, and without hesitation she ran with it. I was grinning wide as we spun, ending the song face to face. As the music slowed to transition to the next song, I couldn't help but laugh.

Dusky smiled and laughed along, the festive atmosphere infectious.

The music changed to another recent hit, and I moved in closer to sway along with the music besides her. "See? We've got this."

She giggled. "It's not exactly a competition."

"But if it were, we could win it all."

"Maybe." She rolled her eyes with a laugh, swaying along to the music. "I'm just glad you're having a good time."

I nodded. "I... I love weddings. So full of love and laughter and, um, cake. Went to a few as a colt. Sun's and Mint's."

"They're very nice." Dusky's mouth quirked, and she shook her head. "Though, with the amount of work that went into planning it all, I should hope so."

I glanced towards the wedding party's table, where Terra and Stalwart sat side by side. I nudged Dusky to look as Terra laughed at some joke, then nuzzled into Stalwart, her face beaming. "I'd say you succeeded for the pony whom it matters the most to."

Dusky watched Terra a moment and nodded. "Definitely a success."

Giving her a nuzzle of my own, I felt the heat rise in my cheeks. "The ceremony was beautiful. And you look stunning in the dress."

She dipped her head back to look at the long aquamarine gown. "It's a little bit much for my tastes."

I tilted my head, considering her typically simple style. I traced the lines of the gown upward across her back and up her neckline, stopping to stare into her eyes. "Maybe. Then, I think maybe it's just you who's stunning."

Dusky shook her head, then leaned forward to kiss me. She pulled back and smirked. "Flatterer."

All I could respond with was a wide smile as we continued to dance.

After the third song, a much more fast-paced song began, and Dusky leaned in to shake her head. "I don't think I can keep up with that in this dress. Let's sit out a few."

I nodded and moved to lead her towards the table where I'd been seated. Dusky sat in Mahogany's seat, as he had since planted himself at the reception bar. Shifting closer to her, I settled down besides her and we watched the other ponies dance.

Our attention shifted over to the wedding party's table, as Merriweather eagerly began to drag the two stallions she'd walked the aisle with out at the same time. The first shook his head, ducking out and sneaking back to the table to escape her grasp. The second stallion wasn't quite so lucky, as he seemed more than ready to dance. As he trotted after at a leisurely pace, Merri apparently decided it just wasn't fast enough, and with a shimmer of her horn, magic pulled the hapless stallion in close, his expression caught somewhere between enthusiasm and discomfort.

Unsure if she was drunk, or if it was just Merri being Merri, I sighed. "I, um, hope she goes easy on them."

Dusky giggled. "I'm sure she'll be fine."

"Not sure she's who I'm worried about."

She grew quiet, soaking it all in. At last, she shifted in her chair. "Are you sure you're comfortable coming along on my trip?"

Turning to smile at her, I nodded. "I've got everything you recommended all packed up back home. Once I can pick it all up, I'll be all set."

Clearing her throat to announce her approach, Starshadow stepped up to the table from behind us. "How long will the two of you be gone?"

"Just about a month."

Starshadow smiled. "Not too long, then. Good. I hope you both enjoy your journey. We shall miss you both."

Dusky nodded, then chewed her lip a moment before she spoke with a more serious timber. "I'm counting on you and Merri to watch over things. To look after everyone." Her eyes glanced back towards the wedding party, lingering on Terra.

Following Dusky's gaze, Star nodded. "We will keep an eye on things. Don't let /that/ worry you." She leaned in on the emphasis.

I sighed, but nodded. "I'm sure everything will be fine. And if you need it, you know how to reach my sister, right? My dad?"

"We shall reach out to your family only if necessary." Star smiled to Dusky. "But I agree with Night Flurry, everything will be fine. You just enjoy your trip."

I shifted to set a hoof against her side and smiled. I could understand her worry, considering everything we'd been through, but I couldn't stand the thought of her missing out on what brought her the most joy. I'd seen her in Ostfriesen, in Oasis. I'd seen how happy it made her to see new sights and experience new things. I wanted to be there while she did it on her own terms.

A sharp whistle drew me out of my thoughts and towards the wedding party's table. The best stallion waved everypony's attention towards him as the music ended. "Will every single mare please take the dance floor. Our lovely bride, Mrs. Terrabona, will now be throwing the bouquet. Good luck, ladies!"

Dusky seemed to have snapped out of her thoughts too, glancing at me with a grin. "I suppose I should go give it a try."

"I, err, oh? You… you want to try to catch the bouquet?"

She giggled. "I don't see why not. Coming, Star?"

Starshadow glanced out at the dance floor, where Merri seemed to be staking out a prime piece of the floor, her previous dance partner quickly escaping. "I believe I shall pass. It is best if I do not compete with my sister over these types of things."

"Suit yourself." Dusky walked out onto the dance floor again, stepping alongside Merri and saying something to her. Merri responded, then turned to look back at me, wiggling her eyebrows.

I sighed, feeling my face blush. "Star, your sister is..."

Star sat down at the table next to me. "Incorrigible? Overexcitable? A poor listener?"

Shaking my head, I chuckled. "Yeah, all of that."

"She is enjoying herself a great deal, though. This wedding has been a blessed event." She laughed quietly as we watched the last of the mares participating line up and Terra taking her place. "I never would have foreseen the path that led here, but I am glad that Merriweather and I were able to attend."

"Everypony ready?" Terra turned away from the dance floor, holding her bouquet aloft in her magical grasp. As the ponies cheered, Terra lifted it high, then spun, not exactly throwing back and more throwing forward, like spiking a volleyball with her horn, straight into the crowd.

Reacting fast, Dusky threw up a wing, catching the bouquet before it struck her. She glared at Terra, who only smirked in response.

Starshadow leaned in closer and whispered. "Perhaps we shall have a second wedding to attend soon, hm?"

Terrabona was staring right at me, an evil grin spread over her face. Her words from within the flower shop coming back to haunt me. 'Haven't arranged yours yet, now have I?'

I had the engagement stone all packed up back home, set in a small box alongside all the things Dusky had listed out for me to have at the ready. I had it all planned out, more or less, to find Dusky's favorite place, the place on the trip she wanted to show me the most, and to find the perfect moment to ask to continue our journey together, not just through Equestria, but through life.

My eyes fell on Dusky. She was staring at me, holding the bouquet. I almost wanted to shout out an apology, or to just sink under the table, unsure why I felt so embarrassed at that moment.

She watched me a moment, then simply nodded.

My heart beat wildly, but I drew in a breath and nodded back. As Dusky smiled and turned to head towards the front table, stepping up to prepare for the throwing of the garter, I turned to Starshadow. "Just... maybe. Yeah."

PreviousChapters Next