• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,606 Views, 187 Comments

Mending Light - Kiromancer



Sometimes I dream of who I could be. A powerful figure, strong, unafraid. A valiant Knight who stands to protect the weak. I never had the courage to make anything of myself, despite my dreams. Until I found her.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,606

PreviousChapters Next
55 - Family Pains

Despite my run-in with Mrs. Ward, the rest of my night was relatively peaceful. I was more than a little sore from my impromptu workout, and the points where she'd landed strikes were likely to bruise. Windy had not been holding back on her hits, or perhaps more disturbing, maybe she had been.

It was still early when I stepped back into the house, not too long before sunrise, and it seemed that Spring was still asleep. Even if she'd been working the night shift while I'd been gone, she was likely not yet accustomed to working so late and sleeping through the day.

Now, my plan was to spend a little time relaxing and maybe once Spring had woken up, I'd head to bed. Dusky and I had planned a date for the night, or at least, planned to meet for a date. I certainly wanted to be well rested for that. I'd only had time to stash my flight satchel when there was a knock at the door.

Though it was still early morning for Ponyville, it certainly felt too late for me. Unless it were one of Spring's friends, I had no idea who would have come visiting this early. I cracked the door at first, then pulled it open wide as I recognized the pegasus on the other side. "Oh, hey Mahogany. What's up?"

Whatever Mahogany had been planning to say was stopped short as he caught sight of me. "Whoa, you alright, Flurry? You look like you crash landed pretty bad."

I looked down at myself, a bit of color coming out under my coat from the points where Windy had struck me last night. "Oh, yeah... something like that. It's not as bad as it looks."

"Well, I hope not... so, you good to talk?"

"Err, yeah, of course." I motioned Mahogany in and moved towards the kitchen. I'd had to throw out my tea leaves after Spring's 'help', which left me without many options to offer Mahogany. "Water? I'm, uh... fresh out of tea."

"Tea sucks, Flurry." Mahogany's nose crinkled as he moved towards the living room. He paused a moment as I joined him, then shook his head. "You and Dusky make an evil pair, you know that?"

I raised an eyebrow, totally unsure where this was going. "Evil?"

He nodded. "You poked at me about it before you left on your whole dragon adventure, and then Dusky came to me right after you got back. Well, you got me, now what?"

"Now what... about... your dad?" I hadn't even known that Dusky had gone to talk to him about it, though I suppose it didn't surprise me. It was something I wanted to approach him about as well. Before we'd left for Ostfriesen, I'd promised him I'd help somehow, to talk to Dad for him. Windy Ward's speech came to mind as well.

Mahogany scowled at the mention of his father, but he quickly let it drop. "Yeah. He's still as big a pain as ever. I figured I'd just live with it, Flurry. I can endure a lot. But by Celestia, he's persistent. He's just dedicated to making my life miserable. Thanks, Dad. As if I needed help."

I sat and considered. "Well, I guess I don't know how much evidence you've got..."

"Nothing really." He shrugged. "Not like I've been collecting it. More just trying to ignore it."

"Might make it harder... but I'll ask Dad. I'm sure he can figure something out. I mean, this sort of harassment isn't right. I mean, it can't be legal."

Mahogany laughed bitterly. "Oh, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just barely legal. Ol' Birch is the kind of jerk who would know just how far he can push it."

That seemed rather curious, considering what I'd learned about Mahogany's father. "He's... willing to go this far, but still insist it's legal? Seems... off."

There was hate and pain on Mahogany's face as he sneered. "Well, that's easy to explain. He's off. I'm just tired of him thinking he controls me, controls my life. Been tired of that since I left Shirecago, and I refuse to go crawling back now."

I nodded sadly, then reached over and hugged him. "You're your own pony, Mahogany. I think you've made that clear. We'll just have to find a way to make your Dad respect that and leave you alone, then you'll be fine."

He hugged back, unexpectedly tight for Mahogany. "Yeah, yeah, I got it. I'd be happy just to see the second part happen. You just let me know what Captain Noble wants me to do, and I'll do it. And, uh, thanks Flurry."

I pulled back and smiled, then twitched my ears as I heard offbeat hoofsteps coming from the back of the house.

Spring staggered into the room, eyes not quite open and mane disheveled. She looked at me and lifted an eyebrow. "Bluh. What time is it, Nighty?"

Mahogany suddenly gasped, looking at me with a devious smile. "Another mare? Flurry, you dirty cheater. Dusky will be heartbroken."

"I... cheater?" I flailed a hoof. "What, no! I don't love her, she's my sister! I mean, uh..."

Spring rolled her eyes. "Sheesh, love you too, ya doof."

My face dropped, and I tried to take it back. "W-what? No, I didn't mean it like that, Spring, I just mean I don't, um, not like, with Dusky and you... I'm sorry!"

Mahogany’s laugh was nearly deafening as he wiped his eyes to recover, "I'm just pulling your tail, I know she's your sister. I'm the one who gave her your spare key. Besides, she's been coming to the bar lately. She's fun to get drunk, she starts getting really flirty with ponies in the bar. We've needed somepony to watch fail at love ever since Terra stopped playing the field and you and Dusky actually hooked up."

"Well, fine. You're forgiven." Spring trotted over and kicked me tenderly, then glared at Mahogany. "Hey! I don't fail at love! I'm just picky. And I don't need to get drunk to get flirty! I'm perfectly capable of flirting. I'm probably, like, the best at it."

He grinned wide. "The best? Pfffft. Yeah, best at putting your hoof in your mouth. You just get more creative about it when you're drunk."

She snorted. "Not my fault no pony can beat me in a bubble off."

I raised an eyebrow. "Do I want to know what a 'bubble off' is?"

Spring nodded authoritatively, and she seemed completely serious. "That's when you blow bubbles into your drink with a straw. First one to get the drink to bubble out of the glass wins. It's a valuable skill."

Mahogany laughed even harder. "It's a riot. No pony can beat her because none of them try."

I reached out to pat Spring on the side, not entirely sure what I was supposed to say in relation to my sister's questionable dating tactics. "There... there? I'm sure you'll find someone that can challenge your... bubble skills?"

She lifted a wing and made a rather unladylike gesture towards Mahogany. "You're just jealous. Now, I have the day off, thanks to you, Nighty, and I feel like waffles. Is it still breakfast? Waffles for lunch? Doesn't matter. Let's go get waffles."

I glanced at Mahogany. "Err, want to join us for... waffles?"

He smirked. "You know what? Sure. Her treat."

---

After what turned out to be a shockingly pleasant breakfast, I slept through the day easily. Both the full stomach and the unexpected exercise of the night before did their work, and I fell asleep fast upon hitting my pillow.

I woke again late in the day, not too long before I'd agreed to meet with Dusky. My side still felt tender as I spent some time freshening up, a quick shower and brushing my mane. Then I left my house, eager to see her once again.

We'd decided to meet just outside the bar, without much else planned out. Neither of us had had the time since we'd returned to put anything concrete together. We'd head into town and get something to eat. Dusky was already waiting as I came in for a landing.

Her eyes immediately focused in on the bruises, as I probably should have suspected. Concern was clear upon her face. "Night, your side. What happened?"

I paused, unsure what I should tell her. It wasn't anything dire, just, unexpected. What would she think about her mother coming after me like that? Would it strain their relationship somehow? I hadn't told Mahogany because, frankly, I hadn't felt like he should know. That was an uncomfortable feeling, and I couldn't keep it from Dusky. Her trust was to important to me, and she deserved the complete truth.

"Well... it was a bit unexpected. I, um, was given a little test by, well... your mom." My voice dropped as I spoke, but I cut back in before she could respond. "But it wasn't a bad meeting!"

"By my—" Dusky stopped short, a bit of red coloring her cheeks. "She tested you?"

I blinked at the unexpected change, but forced a smile. "Err, yes. It went... alright. I mean, I'm still standing here. I think if it had gone poorly, there'd be a lot less of me left to go out on a date with you."

Dusky shook her head. "Unbelievable. She actually attacked you? And she hit you that hard?"

"I mean, it's not as bad as it looks. A bit tender, but I guess she saw whatever she needed to see." I watched as Dusky circled around me, checking the bruises closely. I'd been there when Windy had attacked her once, but I guess this was different. "In the end she gave me some advice and a hug and told me to take care of myself.”

She let out a deep sigh, then looked back at me with a small smile. "Well, I guess that's something. Consider it a 'Welcome to the family.'"

Now it was my turn to go red, my hooves nearly tripping me up, but I caught myself before I fell. "I, er, what? Welcome to..."

Dusky stepped ahead of me and turned to face me. "Not a word of this to my mom, but she wouldn't have bothered testing if you didn't already have her approval. Sorry, seems some of the weirdness of my life is rubbing off on you."

It framed the whole encounter in a very different light. She wasn't challenging me or seeing if I was worthy, she was confirming her beliefs. Perhaps she was even worried, if not about my safety, then at least about Dusky's happiness. It was an atypical way to go about it, but having fought beside Dusky, I think I understood.

At last, my smile grew to match Dusky's. "I don't think I've ever been so happy to be challenged to a fight. I, um... well, I'm happy she thinks that way."

"I'm glad to hear it too." Dusky breathed a sigh of relief. She bowed her head towards me and turned back towards the street, beginning to walk downtown.

"Though, she said I needed more training, recommended I ask my dad." I looked at her standing there in front of me and leaned forward to nuzzle her softly. "Which, uh, brings me to something I wanted to talk to you about."

She smiled and nuzzled in return, then she moved back alongside me as we continued our walk through Ponyville. "Oh? What's that?"

"Well, Mahogany swung by the house, and we had a talk about the whole situation with his dad. And that was after your mom had talked to me. Well, between dealing with those two issues, I just... figured I should talk to my dad again."

Dusky nodded. "I'm glad Mahogany is asking for help. As far as your dad goes, I think that’s the fastest way to get our answers—perhaps the only way if my mom thinks you could use his specific training."

I took a deep breath. "I agree. I thought it was, uh, a good reason to, maybe... visit home."

She looked back at me with a smile. "Oh? Going to go see your family, then?"

"Yeah. After everything up ‘til now, it just... it feels like it's time." A sinking feeling in my stomach confirmed my words. Guilt. "Probably past time, honestly."

Dusky moved closer, draping a wing across my back. "You've been through a lot. The important question is if you're ready to go back now."

That was something I'd been asking myself for a long time now. The answer still surprised me. "Yes, I think I am. Dusky, when I go home, would it be too much to ask if you'd come with me? I can do this, but, I'd feel better if you were there with me. If that's okay with you."

She turned her head and nodded. "I'd love to, Night."

I grinned wide, feeling a weight lift off my back. "Thanks."

We walked on a bit further, when Dusky's hooves moved away from the town and towards the park. "Speaking of travel, that reminds me. I'm planning out my summer trip. You were going to tell me that you were coming along, right?"

My ears shifted up, and I turned to look at Dusky. "Oh, you're making your plans?"

"Pretty much done, actually." She tilted her head to smirk at me. "Just need to make sure I was alright booking rooms for two."

My face burned. "Two! Um, two is good. I meant to tell you... once I was sure everything was alright with work, that is. Everything's pretty much in order for me to come, if you still want me to."

She giggled. "In order, eh? Sounds like your plans are pretty much done too, then? Because of course I'd love to have you along."

My grin grew wider. If our trip to Ostfriesen, the days spent in their capital city at least, had been any indication, traveling with her would be I could ever hope for. "Then you'll have me. I... I know how important your trips are to you."

Dusky stopped walking and turned to nuzzle against me. "They are, but they're not the only important thing."

I lowered my head, and she nosed at my mane. "It's the least I can do. After all, I love you."

"And I love you too." She slowed her her pace, looking down at something then sitting back onto her haunches. She'd guided us into the park, and then selected a beautiful spot on a slight decline, facing out towards the just setting sun.

I chuckled. "I thought we were getting dinner."

"We are." She pecked my cheek. "After the sunset."

"That does sounds wonderful." I sat next to her and turned to return the kiss, meeting her lips with mine and holding for a moment. After not nearly long enough, I reluctantly pulled back. "I... I still don't know what I did to deserve this."

"You survived my mother." She smiled and settled in, leaning against me as she watched the sun. "And most of all, you are just your sweet self."

PreviousChapters Next