• Published 24th May 2014
  • 2,731 Views, 32 Comments

A Beam of Light - OutofCuriosity



An ancient dragon escapes from Tartarus and shows Equestria that light is not always a force of good

  • ...
3
 32
 2,731

On The Rocks

Had anypony been wandering around the hills surrounding the Pie family rock farm, and had been paying very close attention, they would have seen a small flash. As it was, the event of Aduro coughing up a scroll went unnoticed by all except her. The mid-morning sun shone as the dragon unfurled the scroll to find the message: To whoever finds this scroll, bring it to the nearest guard station as soon as possible, with both Celestia's and Luna's signatures at the bottom.

This wasn't the first scroll Aduro had received, but the others had all asked her to surrender peacefully. So they've given up on that, and judging by the sun, I think they actually sent this one earlier than the others. Aduro crumpled the scroll up and set it on fire like every other one.

I was lucky this time around but I need to be even more careful from now on. If that scroll had been sent a few hours ago, when I was in town, the Princesses would have heard the reports and teleported there by now. I might be safe now, unless they intend to send more scrolls. Aduro decided to wait in case another message was sent, and regretted not taking the time to think of a counter-spell while in Tartarus. Aduro waited twenty minutes and would have waited longer but the rumbling of her stomach persuaded her that getting food was a bigger concern.

The dragon descended the hill carefully and slowly crept towards the rock fields, maintaining her invisibility all the while. A cursory sniff revealed five ponies and what smelled like a large collection of pastries. As Aduro grew closer to one of the rock fields the faint scent of gemstones reached her nostrils as the scent of a pony and, oddly, the collection of pastries grew stronger as well. Did they rob a bakery? Why would somepony carry a bag of baked goods out to a field?

Crouching behind the thickest of the black, skeletal trees dotting the landscape, despite knowing nopony could see her anyway, Aduro watched as a greyish-purple mare with a grey mane pulling a cart came into view alongside a bouncing, violently pink, and grinning mare who seemed to be the source of the pastry scent.

"Come on, Blinky, those rocks aren't gonna move from the east field to the south field by themselves. Unless they secretly come to life when our backs are turned and go on amazing rock adventures," said the pink pony picking up a rock and staring intently at it. "One of these days I'll catch you in the act. I swear on it!" The pink pony shot a hoof into the air with a look of determination on her face.

"You have no idea how happy I am to not have to do this with Trixie 'assisting' me. Pinkie, that mare does half the work assigned to her then gapes like a fish when you point out the other half," said Blinky spitting out the rope attached to the cart and completely ignoring Pinkie's antics. "Personally I think she faked that fainting fit to get out of working in the fields. Why would an Ursa Major come out this way in the first place?"

While Pinkie Pie berated her sister in an impromptu musical number about respecting other ponies feelings, Aduro felt a chill run up her spine. Pinkie? As in Pinkie Pie, the Bearer of the Element of Laughter? Are the other Bearers nearby? I only smelled six ponies and this Blinky isn't one of the Bearers, I'm certain of that. I should be safe, so long as I remain hidden and they don't notice the loss of a few gems until I'm long gone. I'm going to have wait a little longer for my food. Just a few hours at most then I'll have food for days, remember that.

Unfortunately the smell of nearby jewels proved to much for Aduro's stomach and it let loose a loud growl that interrupted Blinky's apology and caused both ponies to look around for the source of the sound. Taking that as her cue to move on, Aduro quickly slipped away from the rock field and back towards the hills.

Hours passed and Aduro struggled to maintain her self-control and not simply run down to the farm and eat as many gems as possible before running away. Instead, she kept her distance and circled the farm, waiting for an opportunity to present itself. At last, as the morning passed into afternoon and Pinkie Pie broke into song at least four times, Aduro found her chance.

----------

Trixie levitated the last of the bags into the cart wiping the sweat for what seemed the hundredth time. "Trixie still doesn't understand why the gems have to be put onto the cart in a specific order. Or why nopony told the Great and Powerful Trixie until after she had already put the bags on the cart."

Igneous Rock Pie merely shifted the piece of wheat from the left side of his mouth to the right side and said, "Because the rubies get jealous if they're behind the sapphires and the topazes prefer to be in the middle." His tone sounded like he was stating that the sky was blue or that the Princesses changed day into night.

"Jealous?! I- but- urgh," sputtered Trixie. She turned back to the cart muttering under her breath about rock farmers. Trixie levitated a harness onto her back and whispered to herself, "At least Trixie doesn't have to hear Pinkie Pie sing another song away from the farm."

"It's a Friday, Pinkie always sings a lot on Fridays," came the monotone voice of Maud Pie and the expressionless mare hooked herself up to the other harness. Trixie looked surprised then worried at how much of her supposedly quiet mutterings had been heard.

"Now remember, don't stop for anypony on the road, even if they're wearing a guard uniform and as unlikely as it is, keep an eye out, those reports of an Ursa in the area were caused by something," said Igneous, concern tinging his words. Trixie tensed at the mention of the Ursa and a small scowl formed on her face.

Trixie and Maud then set off towards their destination as Pinkie appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, and sang a song about traveling, prompting Trixie to all but sprint away from the rock farm. Once the sound of the pink pony's voice had faded and the rock farm was out of sight, Trixie relaxed from the furious run, panting for breath. Maud simply blinked at the sight and started trotting again, effortlessly pulling the cart and dragging the still gasping Trixie along.

The journey was uneventful until the pair were halfway to their destination, having left the barren area ideal for rock farming behind and reached a green forest with birds chirping as normal. Trixie kept nervously looking around half-expecting a pack of changelings or an Ursa Major to come barreling out of the woods. Maud had none of these worries but still she felt like she was being watched. Though most would have seen no change in her expression, Maud's brow lowered by a millimeter and felt her muscles tense slightly.

The sound of splintering wood suddenly came from behind them and the cart lurched to the left. Trixie yelped at the expected movement and whirled around to find the cart now being supported only by three wheels instead of four. With a loud groan Trixie unhooked herself from the cart and walked around to inspect the damage. The rear left wheel had broken into pieces.

"No, no, no, no, no!" exclaimed Trixie. "I already replaced that wheel twice today. Why do you enjoy seeing Trixie suffer?" Trixie demanded of the wheel, which said nothing in its defense. Then more splintering wood was heard and the carts rear end thumped onto the dirt road as the other rear wheel broke. Trixie stood still for a moment, simply staring at the broken wheels.

The next moment the air was filled with angry incomprehensible yelling as Trixie stomped around the cart. She started throwing the pieces of the broken wheels around. Maud took cover behind the raised part of the cart until the yelling calmed down and pieces of wood stopped flying through the air. Peeking her head around the cart, Maud found Trixie lying down on the road.

Maud approached the prone unicorn and patted Trixie on the head. "It's all right. We just need to fix the wheels then we can deliver the gems." If Trixie hadn't have been used to Maud's monotone voice, she might have thought the earth pony was mocking her. Instead Trixie sighed and stood up wearily.

"Give Trixie a moment. Trixie needs to find some wood to make some new wheels, and we'll need something to brace the cart with." Without another word Maud stretched out a hoof and lifted the rear of the cart off the ground like it weighed nothing. Then the bushes surrounding the two mares shook and out stepped a pack of diamond dogs. They were all clad in metal armor that shimmered in the sunlight.

Before Maud could react one of the diamond dogs rushed over and hit Trixie on the head, knocking the unicorn out. Maud dropped the cart and charged the diamond dog hovering over the unicorn. It jumped out of Maud's path at the last second and Maud received a blow to head herself. She stumbled, dizzy but still standing and bucked her hind legs in an effort to hit her assailant.

Instead, her hooves hit nothing but air and another powerful hit to the head finally sent Maud into unconsciousness. Several moments passed as the diamond dogs watched the two ponies for any sign of movement before vanishing in a ripple of light. In their place Aduro stood on the cart shoveling gemstones into her mouth as fast as she could.

Despite her need for haste, Aduro couldn't help but appreciate the flavor of the jewels as they were crushed between her teeth. They really have made great strides in rock farming during my absence. The flavor is so much more pronounced than I remember. Though that could just be because I'm starving, but there definitely is a difference between these gems and the ones I got from that mining town.

Once her stomach had its fill of gemstones, Aduro counted six bags in the cart, too many for her to carry at once. With a quiet curse, Aduro quickly seized the two emptiest bags and poured some gems from each of the other four bags until she had a nice variety in both bags. She placed the two mixed bags into the improvised saddlebag she'd made out of the strips of bed-sheets originally meant for bandages. The strips had been tied together into a mesh net that strained slightly under the weight of the bags but held together.

Gathering the rest of the bags, Aduro ran into the woods a short distance before digging a small hole and dumping the rest of the bags inside. This should at least fool the local guards into thinking it was a mere diamond dog raid, and those rock farmers will at least get some of their stock back. What do they eat to get a head as hard as that mare's? My claw still stings. Aduro piled the dirt back on the bags and smoothed the dirt as much as possible before taking off towards the north once again.

-----At the border of Equestria and the Badlands-----

Princesses Celestia and Luna were sitting on chairs they'd formed out of nearby boulders. The large circular table in front of them was made in the same fashion with an empty chair facing the two alicorns.

"She's late," stated Luna.

"She's trying to show us that she doesn't fear any repercussions from us. It seems she is as arrogant as Arachne said," Celestia answered. A bead of sweat appeared on Celestia's forehead and Luna conjured up a beach umbrella to provide both of them with shade. Celestia nodded appreciatively and with a flash of golden light, summoned a tea set. Celestia had just started pouring tea into cups for them when the buzzing of wings reached their ears.

A small group of changelings lead by Queen Chrysalis approached the princesses. Chrysalis descended into the empty chair and her entourage stood in a protective semi-circle around their queen. Wordlessly Celestia began to pour the tea, the first cup filled being taken by Chrysalis. Luna raised an eyebrow at the childish display of insolence but said nothing as Celestia finished filling the other teacups. Silence persisted among the gathered party, the Princesses of Equestria content to simply sip at their tea while Chrysalis quickly drained her cup.

Finally the silence was broken by Chrysalis. "You called for a meeting and here I am. What do you want?" Chrysalis demanded.

"An end to hostile actions against Equestria, an agreement guarding against any future hostility, the abdication of your power, and that you appear before a court to account for your crimes peacefully," responded Luna.

Chrysalis looked from Luna to Celestia then back to Luna then she began to laugh. She continued to laugh until she was gasping for air.

Celestia and Luna simply watched silently. Luna's wings twitching a little and Celestia taking a slightly longer sip of tea were the only signs of anger they allowed to show. Such signs went unnoticed by Chrysalis who finally reined in her fit of laughter.

"And what makes you think I'm going to do anything you want? What is to prevent me from simply taking what I want? You two? All I have to do is find another couple of ponies who love each other enough and you won't be able to defeat me." Chrysalis sneered at the alicorns and leaned back in her chair.

"If you are truly so confident in your ability to achieve victory against Equestria, why did you come to this meeting?" Celestia leveled a questioning gaze at Chrysalis. "Now please, if you could save the empty threats and bluster so actual progress can be made."

Chrysalis glared at Celestia for a long moment before answering. "I came because I was curious about what you wanted and I got my laughs out of it but now I see no reason to stay. You've only made demands and frankly, there is nothing you have I can't take for myself." Chrysalis rose from her chair to leave when Luna spoke up.

"It is in your best interests, and those of all changelings loyal to you, that you stay and listen to what we have to say."

"Is that a threat?"

"No," continued Luna. "It is a statement of fact. We have the ability to accomplish our goals with or without your consent but the process will occur faster and result in less casualties if you agree of your own free will."

Chrysalis sat back down and waved a hoof in a 'continue speaking' gesture.

"Your infiltrators are hardly the first changelings we have encountered," said Celestia. "We are aware of how changeling society works, including how you are not the leader of the majority of changelings and that-"

"The Nest is nothing but a collection of fools who have forgotten what it is to be a changeling. My swarm all follow me because I can and will bring about a changeling empire," spat Chrysalis.

Celestia simply resumed talking as once Chrysalis finished her sentence. "We have written testimony from former members of your swarm stating that many had already decided to leave should the invasion of Canterlot fail. With that in mind how many do you think will stand by you once the forces of Equestria and its allies march against you?

"Also, consider just how many will stand against you when they learn you deliberately let loose Aduro from her imprisonment in Tartarus. Do you think the other nations will be as willing as we are to agree to a peaceful solution before taking up arms?"

"But we are willing to offer you something should you agree to our request," added Luna.

Chrysalis was fuming as she saw the truth of the Princesses' words and hated how they knew just tenuous her hold on power was. She wasn't completely defeated however.

"It is true there have been whispers of dissent among my ranks, but I think you are forgetting something yourselves." Celestia and Luna exchanged glances and Celestia nodded for Chrysalis to continue. "While it is true Aduro was a prisoner in Tartarus, his only crimes were committed against Equestria. Why should the Griffon Kingdom , for example, care if a miniature dragon harasses a few ponies?" Chrysalis grinned, confident that she had removed one of the swords the Princesses claimed were hanging over her head.

Celestia sighed and said, "Unfortunately, while it is true some like the Griffon Kingdom wouldn't be moved to act if it were only Aduro who left Tartarus. However, she was not the only one. Tirek escaped too."

At this Chrysalis' jaw dropped open and a look of fear crossed her face. "Y-you're lying. I didn't come within 20 feet of that monster. I-" Then Chrysalis remembered the guard who had been struck by Aduro's tail. Quickly regaining control of her emotions, Chrysalis wiped the fear from her face. "That's impossible. Your attempt to scare me into submission will not work," she lied.

"Even if Tirek has escaped, what makes you think I had anything to do with it?" Chrysalis' voice betrayed none of the whirling thoughts and emotions in her mind.

"We know Tirek is gone, because soon after we received an anonymous letter suggesting Aduro had escaped from Tartarus, I presume we have you to thank for that, I visited Tartarus myself and found not only Aduro missing but Tirek as well," said Celestia. "I immediately noticed how Aduro's shackles had been opened, and yet Tirek's remained locked. Curious I analyzed the chains for traces of magic and found that both sets of restraints had changeling magic used on them.

If you do not agree to our demands peacefully I will organize a group of representatives from the other nations and allow them to analyze the chains themselves. When they find the evidence of changeling magic on both sets of chains, what do you think their reactions will be? So I ask you one last time, agree to our terms willingly or we will use force."

Chrysalis slammed a hoof down on the stone table and swore at the two alicorns violently and received only calm, collected gazes in response. With a look of pure venom, Chrysalis spoke through gritted teeth, "I agree to your terms Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. I will sign whatever official documents are required but once we are done here I never want to see either of you again." With a weary sigh Luna teleported a stack of papers and thus the peace treaties were drawn up and signed.

Author's Note:

Proofread and edited by Vedues

Comments will be appreciated.