• Published 26th May 2014
  • 2,412 Views, 44 Comments

A Guitar In A Thunderstorm - Maerx



Can love & friendship transcend not just different worlds, but different species as well? One human is working to solve that problem

  • ...
3
 44
 2,412

Chapter IX: Revolutions Part 1

Chapter IX: Revolutions

Part I

I awoke in what I thought was my hospital bedroom, but a quick glance around confirmed my thoughts otherwise. While I was in the hospital, yes, everything looked different.

However ever so subtly different, the changes were there.

Everything had an unearthly glow to it, even the sheets on my bed glowed in a way. Moving off the bed and letting my feet hit the floor, it didn't feel cold or warm, in fact the floor felt like nothing. Looking over myself, my body was dressed in white clothing, much like the attire I was given at the hospital, except it too, glowed.

"Hello there," an angelic voice sounded through the hospital halls. Turning towards the source of the heavenly sounding voice, I saw a stock white mare, an alicorn: with a pure black white and mane, gorgeous blue eyes and wings spread wide much like Celestia's. She wore a warm smile with a relaxed, almost welcoming figure. Turning to face this mare head on, I smiled and walked slowly towards her.

"Who are you?" I asked simply. The angelic mare smiled, and lowered her head to where it was level with mine.

"Who I am is not important, young one. What is important, is why you are here," she responded, beckoning me to follow her. Not saying a word, I walked by her side, towards the front of the glowing hospital.

"I have been watching for you for quite some time," she went on. "And I have looked into the past events of your life, where you are now, and what lies in your future. I can see you are quite the troubled soul, young one."

How does she know about me?

The white mare, who folded her wings to her sides chuckled, still beckoning me to follow her.

Raising an eyebrow, I realized that we were now outside the hospital, which rested nicely on top of a cloud bank. Come to see it, everything was clouds, except for the stock white building behind us. We continued to walk in silence for a little while longer, until we came to the edge of the bank, looking down onto what I perceived was Equestria. We descended rather rapidly until we came to the real Ponyville hospital, where we stopped outside.

"Why I have brought you here, outside of life and death, is to see why your life still has purpose, and still does, even after all those years of darkness."
I quizzically raised an eyebrow to the godly mare's question, pondering what she meant. Even though I knew what she meant, I was curious as to how she had attained knowledge about me. Her warm smile was reassuring, even motherly in a way, answering my question silently and without doubt.

"Who are you exactly?" I asked, already having a good idea of who she was inside my head.
She chuckled, her right wing twitching slightly as she readjusted her body position. She sat on the cloud, hooves stretched out in front of her, beckoning me to come with her.

"What do you see," she asked me, still silently telling me to sit next to her. Reluctantly, I obliged, feeling the softness of the cloud gently cushion me. We sat there for a few seconds while the clouds below us parted, revealing a view of Ponyville, particularly the hospital where I was at. The world around us materialized as I found myself among the other ponies, like any other normal day. She was still next to me, an ever so slight warm smile on her muzzle.

"Come," she said simply, motioning me to follow her into the hospital. Something was off though.
She had lost her heavenly glow. As of this moment, she appeared like any other ordinary mare around Ponyville. She didn't wear a crown or jewelry to signify her importance or royalty. She was just an ordinary pony: yet here we both were, apparently outside of life and death.

The hospital doors parted, a cold wind meeting my back as we entered. The lobby was plain white with ivory covered walls, dotted with articles and posters of upcoming events. A slight hum prevailed in the quiet place, other than even a church mouse could be heard scurrying about. My gaze scanned over the ponies that came and went, each wearing a different expression on their face: some of relief and happiness, others of pure dread and grief. However, out of the mass of ponies, I could distinguish a group that I knew too well; my Colgate and her friends, walking back from the wing where I was staying. They didn't see or even acknowledge my presence as they continued on their way, the blue mare I had came to love front and center, with an expression of slight worry on her face. Applejack, Twilight and Rainbow Dash walked with her as they made for the front doors.

"Follow them and listen, young one," the white mare at my side said before disappearing. Doing as she said to, I walked behind the group of ponies, just within earshot.

"I really hope he'll be ok..." a worried Colgate spoke quietly to her three friends. The other ponies looked at her with mixed expressions, Rainbow Dash using her always confident boasting smile.

"Aw lighten up Colgate! He'll be fine! I'm sure of it." Her comment was reassuring with the added nod from Twilight and Applejack, though something troubled me about Twilight's response. It was slightly delayed, as though she was lost in thought. The lavender alicorn always had something on her mind, I knew that for a face, which peaked my curiosity further.

"Ah'm sure of it, sugarcube," an always confident Applejack added, securing her stetson on her head.

"Jackson's a fighter. He'll pull through, ah know it." Twilight didn't respond this time, her gaze following the skyline of the beautiful town that was Ponyville. Rainbow had caught on to Twilight's behavior, and out of Colgate's line of sight gently nudged her in her side.

"I know he is, AJ. I just can't stop thinking about the darker outcomes," Colgate replied. Her tone was dark and serious, catching Applejack off guard. Twilight noticed this too, her right ear twitching to listen.

"I know he'll pull through this, I truly know he will. But I just can't think of what I'll do if he doesn't. I don't wanna loose him."

Finally, Twilight put a hoof on Colgate's left shoulder, accompanied by a gentle smile on her muzzle. Twilight knew all too well the risks on an operation like this.

"I don't know a lot about human biology Minuette, I know Jackson is strong, but in body and mind. I'm sure he understands the risks before he took this offer."

Twilight was right. I had taken into account the risks and benefits of this operation; the benefits clearly outweighing the risks. I knew that deep down inside me, I loved Colgate more than anything. Giving her anything and especially letting her into my broken heart was a huge leap of faith for me. And I'm not sure Colgate fully understand that.
She looked so beautiful in the evening's light, her two tone mane flowing silently in the breeze, her slender body amazingly well taken care of. As I watched them walk into the sunset, I couldn't help a pit in my stomach, feeling as though. I was missing something.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I returned to the hospital that night after a night of strolling, meeting the goddess mare there like she had instructed me to do. However, this time, the mare wore a grim expression on her muzzle: one of stoic judgment. She silently pointed a hoof towards the room where I was staying, and upon turning to it, I saw a surprising sight: my body, serene and relaxed, bandages covering roughly half of my stomach and right arm. But that wasn't the most striking thing about it wasn't that.

There lay Colgate: nestled close to me, barely visible tears rolling down her cheeks. Seeing her like this tore at me, making me want to shake her and hold her close: but I knew I couldn't. The goddess mare behind me still had the same expression. Blank.

I didn't fully understand. Colgate was crying, but I couldn't tell if I was alive or dead, which made me even more worried.

"Why are you showing me this?" I asked the mare, who in response slowly shook her head.

"I had no other way to explain what has happened."

"No... no that can't be true!! This can't happen!" I dropped to my knees, feeling the tears start to flow, my body racked with the pain of loss. I felt a hoof on my back, but it didn't help. The reality of what had transpired had set in: I was dead, and couldn't do anything about.

I cried. I pulled my legs to my chest and lay there on the floor, feeling an old pain resurface.
So close... but so far away...

Author's Note:

And so the finale begins. This is part one of two so that's the reason why the Chapter is so short. I'll have the second part / conclusion up by the end of the day :)