• Published 26th May 2014
  • 2,413 Views, 44 Comments

A Guitar In A Thunderstorm - Maerx



Can love & friendship transcend not just different worlds, but different species as well? One human is working to solve that problem

  • ...
3
 44
 2,413

Chapter V: Here I Am

Chapter V: Here I Am

I arrived back at my house after parting ways with Twilight, my body still heavy from the news I had received. I wasn't surprised to be honest, I was aware that I had this condition for a while now, ever since I was 12 or so. But hearing it from two different sources in two different worlds sure puts a load on you.

My front door swung open to welcome me back, its silent and unanimated embrace helping me to feel slightly better. I walked slowly into the small, single story building and cast my gaze around. Nothing had changed; everything was right where I had left it, and I was glad for that. Even though I had received news that I was slowly dying, I was still able to smile. Back on Earth, the doctors said that this condition was fixable by performing a heart transplant, replacing the biological one with an artificial one. Not knowing much about Equestrian technology, I couldn't hinder a guess as to if they were able to do the same procedure here. But I could safely assume that with the ability to heal broken wings overnight and regenerate horns, it might be possible.

A soft yet firm knock at the door interrupted by thoughts, and as I walked towards the door to answer said knock, I spotted my guitar lying in its usual spot; up against my bookshelf in the corner. I smiled at the old, wooden design but continued walking towards the door, my minds track set.

Upon opening the heavy, wooden door I saw Minuette standing there in the doorway, gazing up at me with her big, blue eyes. I could see that she had somehow heard the news about what had transpired, and her smile definitely complimented that nicely.

"Hey Jackson. I hear what happened..." she said as her voice trailed off, scratching her left foreleg.

"I thought I would come by to see if you're ok..?" Her voice clearly stated that she was concerned, and I could understand her for that. I smiled, and squatted down on my knees so that I was eye level with her. I felt a gentle breeze of wind blow between us, but paid no attention.

I welcomed her gentle hug next, wrapping my arms around her slim figure. Her fur was the softest thing I have ever felt in my life, almost with a silky texture to it. I stroked her back a couple times before the hug ended, our eyes meeting for a brief moment as I rose to welcome her into the house. I saw something flash in her eyes that I had only seen once or twice before.

"Well, I really do have to thank you for coming by Minuette. I don't really quite know how to handle this," I replied, strolling towards my favorite chair, the blue mare hopping up on it and sitting next to me.

"I guess I really don't know what to do next," I continued, relaxing as I continued to elaborate on my past and everything. Minuette had both ears tuned directly on me, her sleek blue figure stretched out on the sofa. She offered the occasional nod but did nothing more than that until I had finished.

"Well, in my honest opinion Jackson, I think you should do something about it," she said in her sweet, almost angelic voice. "I think you should live everyday like it's your last, make new friends, remember old ones, and maybe even find that special mare...." she cooed as her voice again trailed off at those last words.

Special mare. Long had I not believed in love, feeling lost and betrayed when Lily had died. But that was many years ago, and I found it kind of silly that I let it govern my life. Yes, anyone who suffers a loss; it will alter your life. But you can either choose to let it control you, or you can mourn and grieve for a while, and move on.

"I'm sure that's what she would want for you, Jackson," she added. Knowing exactly who she was talking about, I smiled slightly and took a deep breath.

"Yeah you're right," I replied, stroking her back gently. She always enjoyed this, but she had to explain that it wasn't a sign of love really, but comfort and trust between friends. I felt her body relax as she scooted closer to me, laying her head next to my side and curling up, wrapping her tail around her body. I found it odd that she was acting his way, but came to the conclusion that it was nothing unusual.

We sat in silence for a while then, continuing to stroke her soft coat. I felt her side rise and fall gently as she stretched her forelegs out over the edge of the sofa. I didn't know how to feel right in that moment.
The room was filled with silence only accompanied by the soft tapping of a beginning rainstorm. Minuette stirred as I stretched my back a little, relaxing myself and letting my eyes slide shut. The last thing I saw the blue mare at my side shifting slightly.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I stirred awake as I felt something shift at my side again. At first, what it was puzzled me, my mind still fuzzy from waking up.

Realizing that the blue mare was simply fidgeting in her sleep, I smiled at how cute she was acting. Nestled against my leg, head curled up between her forelegs, I thought that was pretty cute. Her body rose and fell with the gentleness of her breathing.

I gently put my hand on her side, causing an almost instantaneous reaction of her wiggling closer to me, probably to take advantage of my body heat or something. Rainbow and Twilight had offered me tips on how to spot the differences between intimacy and friends, but at the time, I hadn't had time to sit and listen. Tomorrow was Monday, meaning I had work; so I suppose after work I could go by and talk to them. It might be helpful in future, who knows. Applejack had walked me through the basics, like how a mare selects her mate, what to watch for and stuff like that (to be honest, I had forgotten most of that stuff).

Turning my attention outdoors, I noticed that it had begun to rain. Rainbow had told me last week that she was planning a storm for this coming week, as the town's crops needed it. I had always found it peaceful and calming when it rained. There's a saying back on Earth ''some people just get wet in the rain. Other's feel it." I guess I'm one of those few lucky people who actually love the rain.

I found it funny. Here I am in a completely different world, sitting on my couch with a beautiful mare sleeping next to me, and an impending decision that would affect the rest of my life. With the news of my heart condition confirmed, it put a choke hold on my daily activities. The doctor had ordered no extensive strenuous activities, try to limit exposure to hot weather among other things.
Thinking back, I had been through so much in my lifetime. Not to call the pity party on myself, but I just thought back and looked myself over, making sure not to disturb Minuette. Part of me didn't understand why she (if she felt something special about me) would choose me out of everything in this world. But the other part half way understood why. Applejack's words still rang in my ears.

That's why she likes you! Ya'll are bein' yerself! Don't let go of that... ever!

A small clap of thunder shook me away from my train of thought, though I managed to hold onto it.

I guess I'm living proof of a theory that I had come up with years ago.

"A soul will never change its tune, no matter how much it has been scarred, broken or beaten. The true test of yourself isn't the fact that you will be brought to your knees in your lifetime. The true test is knowing how to recover and move forward," I whispered to myself, the pitter-patter of raindrops slightly drowning my words out.

Those words mystified me through my teen years and into my early 20's, only until life handed me the lesson book, per say. Now, I fully understand what that meant. I have had my heart, mind and body broken on several occasions, yet here I am, scarred yes, but I'm still me.

The clouds in the sky began to turn a deep grey, and I just remembered that I had left a window open. Carefully sliding away from the sleeping blue mare on my couch, a tip-toed over to the ajar window and slid it closed without making a sound. Thank Celestia that the window didn't creek.

As I walked silently back towards the sofa, my eyes slid over Minuette's sleek figure. She was, I have to say, flawless. Her fur was the literally the softest thing I have ever felt, her mane and tail were surprisingly well kept and brushed.

I wonder if she gussied herself up just to see me....ΒΈ I mused as I sat back down on the sofa.

Feeling motion on the sofa next to me, the half awake blue mare fiddled to find my body warmth, eventually following with an action I had not expected. She lay her head on my leg, stretching her left foreleg out so it touched my leg just above my knee. Gasping slightly and feeling my heart rate jump a slight amount, I knew this had to be subconscious, for I doubt she would willingly do this.

Smiling to myself, I let my head fall back as darkness crept in on my sight. It felt relaxing to be honest; the rain outside gently hitting the roof of my house, I caught glimpses of pegasi flying here and there, scurrying to get to their homes. My mind kept coming back to the sleeping mare at my side. I had never experienced something like this here, let alone Earth. So this is new for me.

The last thing my vision caught was Minuette, still sleeping at my side, but this time a smile on her face. I didn't know what to make of that, and I fell asleep too fast to come up with an explanation.

Author's Note:

A fairly short Chapter. I finally explained the significance of the title, as a couple people asked for an explanation, which I promiced later in the story, (and well here it is! :D)

As R8 said, I can confirm this is a 12 chapter story, but I will not reveal any more than that. Plot is cemented and confirmed, so check back frequently.

Two chapter's a month seems to be the rhythm here, though I may be able to get 6 up by the end of the month. Who knows, stay tuned!