• Published 21st May 2014
  • 349 Views, 1 Comments

Growing up in Canterlot - wolfdreamer



For 2 fillies who aren't like everyone else, life in Cnaterlot is not all rainbows and friendship. But what doesn't kill you makes you stonger right?

  • ...
 1
 349

Chapter 2 - Moving Night

“Canterlot Union, last stop,” Announced the conductor pony. Within a few minutes of arriving, ponies began to pour out of the train, with their belongings trailing behind them.

The cream colored filly, still holding her doll, and her mother, were one of the last to exit. A porter unicorn had kindly assisted the two, when he saw them struggling with their bags. Setting them down by a nearby bench, he tipped his hat and politely asked, “How long are you and your little filly going to stay?”

Milky Way stifled a yawn as she settled her filly onto the bench. “We’re not here on vacation. We’re going to be living here from now on.”

The attendant pony looked at them in surprise, then with another tip of his hat wished them good luck, and boarded the train.

Milky Way exhaled as she sat on the bench. Her head turned as she watched as the depot began to empty of ponies. Shaking her head, she looked down at her filly as the foal’s even breathing indicated she had fallen asleep. She gave her a small nuzzle as she continued to wait, hoping it wouldn’t be long.

Milky’s head jerked up for the third time, as she looked around and blinked her eyes, trying once again to stay awake. It had been over an hour since the train had left them here and since that time, she had been struggling to stay awake. This last movement had woken up her filly, who rubbing her eyes with her hoof, gasped. “Mommy, look!”

Looking at where she was pointing, Milky Way had trouble stopping from gasping herself. Walking towards the two of them was one of the largest ponies she had ever seen. It surprised her that each step wasn’t causing the ground to shake. What was most odd though, besides his size was how he was walking. For some reason he had thrown his head back so it was almost resting on his back. It didn’t seem to stop him from walking however, as he continued to walk forward towards the two. It finally dawned on Milky Way right before he stopped in front of them that this was Pay Day. Looking at the flabby caramel colored pony’s flank and seeing his cutie mark, a pair of chocolate coins, she confirmed it.

As he stopped in front of the bench he lowered his head causing his three chins to bunch under his neck. Gazing at the two ponies, his eyes seemed to rove over both of them, like a scientist studying something distasteful under a microscope. Pushing his lips out, he gave a small “tsk”, then opening his mouth he stated, “Milky Way”! To the mare, it didn’t seem to be a question but a confirmation. Deciding to ignore his rudeness she simply nodded and got off the bench.

Turning she helped her filly off the bench. Who, now that she was used to her uncle’s appearance, was beginning to fall asleep again. Pay Day, whose eyes were looking over the train station in a look that was both indifferent and critical, turned his face to the mother and daughter when the filly gave off a huge yawn.

“So, is she Red Vine’s daughter?”

“Of course. Her name is….”

He glared at the two, and interrupting Milky Way, stated, “She doesn’t have Red’s fur color or yours for that matter. Are you sure she’s a Sweetz?” He demanded.

Standing up to her full height and looking straight at Pay Day’s eyes. “Yes. By Celestia, she is Red Vines daughter. She has the same color coat as my brother.” At that statement his hostile face turned into a smirk. She groaned inwardly, having realized he knew about the ridicules stereotype.

However, his smirk quickly faded to one of impatience.

“Anyway’s she has his mane. And that’s unique enough that it’s doubtful anyone in your family would have it. Come one. Let’s go. I haven’t got all night. Celestia knows, I’m doing my Celestial duty by taking you two in.” Turning around he thrust his head back and was about to start away when Milky Stopped him.

“Pay Day! Wait. I’m, I’m, not sure I can manage all the bags.” Pay Day rolled his eyes, but his horn quickly glowed and enveloped the bags and levitated them behind him. Thrusting his head back once again, he started forward, not bothering to look to see if he was being followed.

Milky Way grabbed the last bag and pushing her filly forward, followed the retreating pony as quickly as she could. The young filly could barely keep up as she stumbled after her mother and uncle.

XXXXX

With a large yawn that nearly knocked her off her hooves, the young filly followed her mommy through the door. She wanted to keep awake and see the capital of Equestria, but she was just so tired. She stumbled more after her mother and uncle than she walked after them. Her dolly was riding on her back, as she tried to make sure Celestia wouldn't fall off. Stepping toward her mother, she leaned against her, partially because of how tired she was, but partially due to fear. Canterlot was huge! The buildings seemed to touch the sky, and there were so many! Shady Acres, was a small village with barely 20 buildings, and only one, the town hall, was two stories. Here, it seemed that almost all the buildings were at least five stories tall.

She shook in fear, and in response, her mother nuzzled her ear, calming her enough to keep going toward the waiting taxi. Pay Day had already deposited their luggage, and was pushing his way into the vehicle. She noticed how the Earth Pony driving the taxi looked exhausted, as sweat beaded from his forehead and he shook slightly as her uncle finally entered the cab.

As she and her mother neared the taxi, she noticed how thin, tired and cold he appeared. She couldn’t help but notice his fur seemed patchy and dull. She thought he seemed to whimper when her mother entered the cabin and pulled her onto her lap, as her uncle took up most of the space and left barely enough for the two of them to sit down.

Despite this, she snuggled further into her mother’s fur, and began to drift off. Only to be woken up as her uncle yelled out, “Hurry up, I gave you the address. I’m not paying any bits for you just to stand there, get moving!” She jumped at the sound of his voice, and her mother held her tighter, as the taxi moved, at first slowly, then faster and faster. Trying not to fall asleep again, she looked at the buildings as she passed. She realized for the first time, how light it was. In Shady Acres, there were only gas lamps at the train station. Here there seemed to be one every few feet, making it appear light out, even in the middle of the night. She looked up and realized that she couldn’t see the stars, only the mare in the moon above them. It was strange, and in her sleepy state, a little scary.

She tried sleeping again as the cab continued to travel down the streets, but her uncle’s loud voice, and her mother’s softer one kept her awake. She was too tired to understand what most were saying, but one thing didn’t make sense. Why was her mother angry when uncle Pay Day asked if she lifted her tail? How else was her mommy supposed to go to the bathroom? She hoped she could remember this when they got to their new home to ask.


As she thought about this, she noticed, the cab was beginning to slow down. There were fewer gaslights here, making everything seem much darker, and a little scary. But she saw the castle was only a few blocks away, the tips of the towers were over the roofs of the houses. The glow of the castle seemed to make it a little less frightening.

The cab had finally stopped in front of a building; she looked at the large display window and slowly read the words, “Sweetz bakery and candy maker”. Around the words were drawings of cakes and candies. The front of the building looked like it was painted to look like a cake with silvery frosting and candy canes over the doorway. To the filly, it looked exactly what a bakery should look like. As she nodded to herself, her mother picked her up and gently placed her on the sidewalk. She stood there unsteadily, while her mother removed their belongings, and her uncle paid the driver, who once paid shuffled away with the taxi.

Payday turned to the mare and filly, “This is where you’ll be staying. There’s a small apartment over the bakery. You’re lucky my last employee Joe decided to try his hoof at his own shop, a doughnut shop, if you can believe it. Like that will last. A shop just for doughnuts! What an idiot. Anyways’ you two will be assisting my head baker Carmel Corn, and making sure everything stays clean, and nothing, I repeat, nothing goes missing.” He eyed the two, before turning and opening the door, he levitated their bags and walked through, while Milky Way, and her daughter followed behind.

He quickly led the way through the shop, past the counter, through the kitchen, and past the storage area, where he stopped dropping the bags behind him. Turning toward the two, he levitated the keys, and hoofing them toward Milky, sneered, “I know you were in charge of your own bakery once, but that was in a little nothing of a town. Just do what you’re told and you will be fine. Your room is upstairs. Work begins in about four hours, so you should get some sleep. And just because I have other shops and factories, don’t think I won’t be keeping an eye on you two.” And with his head thrust back, he pushed past the mare and filly and left them alone.

Milky Way sighed, shook her head, turned toward her filly, and said, “Well, let’s see our new home, shall we?” She waited for a sleepy nod and began walking up the stairs. Reaching the end of the stairs, she put in the key, turned the handle, and opened the door. With a small squeak it opened. And before them was their room.

It was very dark with the curtain closed, but they could see a bed, a small table, a bookshelf, and a door, probably leading to the washroom. Milky Way pulled the curtain open, letting in moonlight, causing the room to give off a soft glow. Her filly seeing the bed, stumble walked towards it and crawling on the unmade bed began making herself comfortable. As she was beginning to fall asleep again, she vaguely remembered something else she had heard in the taxi.

Lifting her head up, she looked at her mother with bleary, sleep filled eyes, and remembered what she wanted to ask, “Mommy, did uncle Pay Day say I’m not a Sweetz anymore?”

Milky Way, who had been ready to get their belongings from the bottom of the stairs, turned, and with a smile on her face explained, “He thinks it will be less…confusing if you use my name instead. How bout it? How do you feel about being a Nuggets instead?”

The filly chewed her lip, thinking about how it sounded, “Bon Bon Nuggets.” Shrugging her shoulders, “I guess it’s OK. I mean it’s not like it’ll be forever, right mommy?”

“Right! Plus, no matter what, you’ll be my little Bonnie. Now, let’s get you to sleep. Tomorrow’s a brand new day, and you don’t want to be tired for it, do you? How about a song to help you sleep?”

Bon Bon nodded, lowered her head, and closed her eyes, while her mother began to sing.

“Hush now quiet now…”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment