• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 886 Views, 72 Comments

What Happens After Dusk - Tiaa OwO



A group of ponies that you'd never expect together must put aside their differences to defeat a common threat.

  • ...
11
 72
 886

Book One; Chapter Five

Book One; Chapter Five
Captured

Maxii was sprawled on the hard mattress, white curls surrounding her face. She was in a long, pink silk night gown and barefoot. Rashel was typing on the computer and occasionally glanced at the young vampire to make sure she wasn't doing anything fishy. Caramel was putting together some sandwiches. Flash stared at Maxii and she stared right back.

"Is it, you know, safe for her to be unchained or something?" he asked.

"I would assume you're more likely to get hurt in chains than without chains." Caramel said absently. Flash snorted.

"I mean is it safe for us, or better yet, me."

"Only time will tell." Caramel handed Rashel and sandwich and offered Flash one. The rookie detective gobbled it down hungrily. Maxii sat up with a groan. She glared at all of them but glanced out the window with a pout. "Looking for somepony?" Maxii frowned.

"It's none of your business, pony." she smiled, showing her fangs. "I should finish you right now. I won't give Shelly dear the heartache of doing it herself." Rashel turned to give Maxii a warning glare.

"Don't you dare."

"I'm only helping you."

"Killing my soulmate isn't helping me!" Rashel yelled. Maxii shrieked and stared at her in shock. Flash backed up.

"You don't really believe that you two are soulmates do you?"

"What's a soulmate?" asked Flash.

"A creature that another creature is destined to be with." Caramel explained. "For example, I'm destined to be with Rashel." Maxii leaped onto him. He was pinned on his back and her thin fingers wrapped around his throat. Flash searched for his gun.

She hissed, "You are not her soulmate!"

"Yes he is!" Rashel stood and tugged her so-called-friend off of her boyfriend. Maxii fought but the real reason she wasn't doing any damage was apparent. She was hurt and weak. Only time and feeding would help her gain her strength.

"You know it's forbidden! Other World people cannot fall in love with ponies!"

"We don't control the soulmate principal, Maxii." Rashel growled.

"If you do not recant from this heresy," Maxii turned slowly and deliberately to Rashel. "I will kill you instead."


Blueblood sharpened his wooden knife while Iona tapped her foot, watching. He stopped and glanced at her. She raised a brow. He narrowed his eyes.

"What?"

"Hmm?"

"Am I sharpening it wrong?"

"No."

"Then, what?"

"I need you to show me that you can be a true hunter."

"Okay. I can do that."

"There hasn't been any killings lately so I'm assuming you took care of the one bloodsucker..." Blueblood blushed and rubbed his neck sheepishly.

"...Sure..." Iona cocked her head.

"Something wrong?"

"If there's something wrong, I'll tell you." Blueblood snapped. Iona's brows raised in surprise. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it. She shook her head and chuckled. Iona picked up a piece of paper and placed in front of him.

"This is your first official job." She walked away without having to see the nod and the determined look of the novice hunter.


The rookie typed feverishly in his little section of the office. There were papers scattered on the desk and there were various red alerts of cases. Iona opened the door of the precinct, dropped her bag in a corner, and didn't even glance at him as she walked past. The rookie didn't even try to speak up about his fatigue. The older mare wrinkled her nose and entered her office. As soon as she was out of sight, the rookie hopped up and lunged for the bag. He dug around in it for a few seconds before expertly pulling out a small, rectangular device.

"Ah-ha!" he exclaimed. There was the sound of footsteps from the office. The rookie closed the bag and rushed to his seat in front of his computer. Iona opened the door and her angry face peered out.

"Simon! What are you doing out there?" The rookie, obviously Simon, started typing furiously.

"N-nothing, boss. I was just reveling about the wondrous assets of our detectives."

"Two of our three detectives are undercover, Simon. The other's just a rookie."

"Yes, I know, boss."

"Just keep that racket down, Simon." The very peeved captain closed her office door. Simon shivered. He hated the way she said his name. It was like disgust and hate mixed into one rueful drawl. And she said it so often! It was almost like she was on to him, but she couldn't have been. They didn't call him Secret Simon for nothing. Well, nopony really called him that but... it's a good start that he started calling himself that. Simon took the cap off the device and inserted it into the computer. As a window opened up, he smiled.


Blueblood snuck around the shadows of the streets. It was the better part of town. A lid on every trashcan and a fence around every tree. Medium-height buildings with fresh-looking paint and fashionably warm coats being worn all around. The sidewalks were not worn down and dirty. It was an odd place for a vampire to be hunting but Blueblood wasn't about to complain. He scouted out the area and decided to do some snooping around. There were no suspicious ponies around. He didn't know where to look.

"Think, Blueblood, think," the young hunter mumbled to himself. "Where would a vampire hunt in broad daylight?" He stood there, thinking hard for a few minutes. Suddenly, he gasped, everything crystal clear. "The park! Of course!" Right on time, there was a scream. He rushed to the nearest park and whipped around to see if there were any attacks right that instant. There was a little filly in a blue dress running in no general direction. She was screaming her head off and there was a tall, wiry goon running after her in a speed that nopony could muster. He caught her in one swoop. Blueblood rushed in and grabbed the fella from behind, right around the neck.

"Gah!" the vamp growled. He elbowed Blueblood in the chest. The young hunter wheezed as his grip loosened. The vamp turned the filly's head and exposed her neck. He looked just about ready to dig in but it was then he took notice of the crowd gathering. Blueblood took this moment of hesitation as an advantage. He slid on the ground and stuck his leg out in a kick. The vamp dropped with a yelp of surprise. The filly squirmed free and took off like a bullet.

"Glad I didn't have to tell her to run." Blueblood grinned as the vamp rose to his feet and hissed.

"Filthy vermin! Always interrupting my meals!"
So I'm not the only hunter to try and get this guy, Blueblood thought bitterly. He reached into his pocket for his wooden knife. The vamp must have seen this coming because he moved to the right as soon as it was thrown.

"Crap!" Blueblood aimed a kick to the shin and a right hook as he rushed to get the knife. The vamp grunted as it made impact. He growled and knocked Blueblood down. He had the young hunter pinned on his back. The vamp's lips pulled back into a snarl, fangs erect and ready to kill.

"You're going to taste better than the colt did." he sneered. Colt!?, Blueblood's eyes widened, what colt? He reached for the knife which was just inches from his left hand. The vamp was too busy searching Blueblood's eyes for fear. The vamp laughed, "Ha! You're not even a real hunter, are you? Just a wannabe. You don't even know about the little colt I snacked on just a few moments before I nabbed his big sister."

"Monster." Blueblood hissed.

"I am no monster. It's kill or be killed. That's the motto, the meaning of life. The predators always get the prey. It just so happens that my prey," The vamp gestured to Blueblood. "is stupid enough to think that it can kill me." Blueblood's fingers touched the hilt of the knife and he eased it into the palm of his hand.

"I don't think I can kill you."

"Of course you do." The vamp forcefully turned Blueblood's head and licked the delicate furry skin. Blueblood shivered. The vamp sniffed the life-giving vein in the throat of the young hunter and sank his teeth in. A breathy scream escaped Blueblood's lips. He jammed the knife right into the spinal cord of his attacker and twisted for good measure. The vamps body twitched, them he looked up, into the young hunters eyes.

"I know I can kill you."

The vamp coughed, "Go to hell!" Blood trickled out of his mouth and onto Blueblood's face. The hunter didn't budge. He smirked.

"I'll see you there." The vampire snarled weakly, then, went limp. Blueblood rolled the dead vampire off of him and pulled the knife out. He wiped his face on his sleeve and the knife on his pants. "Damn. That was crazy." He stared at the corpse and thought for a second. He finally turned and stared at a coffee shop.
There was a twinkle in his eyes as he grinned and said, "Man, killing things really give you a mean thirst! I could really use a caramel frappe right now."

Author's Note:

Plz like, comment, and favorite!
Tell me what you liked, tell me what I can improve on, and check out my blogs and other stories!!!