• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 3,642 Views, 401 Comments

From Dusk to Night - KuroiTsubasaTenshi



Trouble. It follows me around like an unwanted pet. The kind of pet liable to maul my friends' faces. So I tried to face the demon alone. But no one can face life alone and my friends... They're less fragile than I gave them credit for.

  • ...
9
 401
 3,642

PreviousChapters Next
49 - Politics

The following days in Olymponis Castle were a bit strange. We were treated with the utmost respect, yet, everyone was too busy to do more than bring us food and make a hasty inquiry about our well being before scurrying off. I supposed I shouldn’t have been surprised, given that they were trying to undo Broken Tooth’s and Firetail’s hubris in a huge city with a labour force that had recently been crippled by conflict.

Amethyst Vein, Bellerophon and Old Ed were basically impossible to get ahold of, so our plans remained rather mercurial. It was almost certain that we’d have to return to Ostfriesen so that Star could give her testimony of the events that transpired here. Of course, Olymponis would need to send their own envoy—perhaps even Bellerophon himself—to corroborate the story. With the Badlands as dangerous as they were, going together only made sense.

However, Star, Merri and Night were still in no condition for such a journey, so we had some time for things to settle down. While I took every opportunity to visit with them, a good chat couldn’t substitute for real bed rest. As such, I often found myself restless. I felt rather uncomfortable sitting idly by while everyone was working so hard, so I pitched in here and there, though taking care not to over-exhaust myself before our journey. This raised a few eyebrows at first, but in the end, I think the Olymponians were only too happy to have another set of hooves.

When at last I was able to get a moment with Bellerophon, he told us not to wait up, as they needed to get the basics stabilized before they could afford to send an envoy and party so far out from the city—something that could easily take twice or thrice as long as our recovery time.

On the way back to Ostfriesen, I felt a little more relaxed. That wasn’t to say that I wasn’t vigilant, but that my newfound familiarity allowed me to be vigilant in more efficient ways. Knowing the terrain was always an advantage, but never was it more pronounced than in the Badlands. No constantly wondering what was hiding just over that ridge when there was a sheer drop behind it. No need to keep searching for new cover from the sky.

Not rushing headlong into some ancient ruins to fight an insane dragon may have also had something to do with it.

Fort Mareginot hadn’t changed one bit. As massive and destructive as our clash had been, no one knew what had gone down. It was a little disconcerting to think, had Broken Tooth destroyed us all, no one would have—or perhaps, could have—cared. I had to stop for a moment, to consider just how often this kind of thing also happened in Equestria. In the end, I think I had a bit more respect for Canterlot’s stained-glass windows.

While we still needed to move at a brisk pace, our return to the inner roads of Ostfriesen came with a great deal of relief. Without the previous urgency hanging over us, I still had more than a few moments to truly take in the scenery.

One thing that struck me as a little odd after seeing it a few times is that the wilderness seemed to form orderly bands of vegetation. Of course, back in the day, when it was a war of cultivating nature against nature, such things didn’t seem quite as illogical. I had to smirk a little, though, picturing an army of rugged wild crabgrass standing firm against the gritty, marauding dust storms of the Badlands. Still, to have this be noticeable after so many years, it was clear that people were maintaining it—one of those things where necessity became tradition, I suppose.

The end result was a very lush, almost garden-like appearance to a wide variety of wild plants. It was sort of like a giant park, with the barest hint of a desire to be unleashed. The more I saw, the more I realized that my initial assessment of Ostfriesen as a countrywide campground was more apt than I’d thought.

I’d almost forgotten just how easy the border highway was to traverse—then I actually did, once we turned onto the castle’s branch. While the previous road was well maintained, this one was even better. The change was gradual at first, but after about a mile, the road became practically as smooth as silk. I almost wanted to break out into a gallop just to take advantage of it. There was little doubt that it took dozens of earth ponies from the neighbouring towns to keep something so perfect. In fact, at a distance, I’d almost have wondered how the Path of Dragons, with its six-foot-high walls could avoid flooding. As it turned out, the road itself was raised, with what could only be an intricate gutter system on either side.

Nearer to Oasis, which is to say, a good couple miles out, the earth became flagstone. The path was cut between two tall hills, which were nearly twice as tall as the initial dirt walls. This gave us plenty of shade, but blocked our view of the city. I swear the latter had to have been done on purpose, as when we rounded the bend, I got my first good—and absolutely picturesque—view of the city.

Flowing fields of lush grass flanked the road for the remaining mile or so, which then linked up with a drawbridge. On the other side of the moat, smooth stone walls of a heavenly white towered over the landscape. My initial guess had been right and each of the dots I’d once seen, were full-length, ten-foot banners, very carefully hung over the sides of the walls. The base was a deep green, perhaps even more appealing than the colour of the grass, with a sandy mound overtop. From that mound sprouted the trunk of a palm tree, though its fronds had been replaced by a series of bright green leaves that formed the infinity symbol.

It was a little overbearing, such that I had to smirk, perhaps even giggle. But the message was clear and serious: eternal prosperity. And just when I thought they couldn’t be any more forward.

The towers of the gate were as smooth and white as the walls, topped by golden domes that demanded as much attention as the banners. Behind those, the spires of the city rose above the walls, appearing as larger, more intricate versions of the guard towers. It reminded me of Canterlot, which really shouldn’t have been a surprise, given our peoples’ common ancestry.

I turned to grin at Star and Merri. “Fancy. You sure you’re gonna be able to get used to Equestria again after this?”

Merri waved a hoof. “Oh, sure, the place and everypony inside looks nice, but I don’t need any of that. The party goes where I go~.”

Raising an eyebrow, Star stared at Merri for a few moments.

“Uh, Sis’?” Merri tilted her head, though her expression didn’t break. “Lighten up?”

Star stuck out her tongue and it was our turn to stare as she said, “Just try not to seduce too many stallions on the way in. One riot per week is enough.”

With that, she started toward the gate.

“U-um?” Night glanced between Merri and I.

There was no holding it in: I broke out into laughter. “Guess I don’t need to ask how it feels to be home.”

Merri’s smile was more warm than amused. “Guess not~.”

As we crossed the bridge, the two guards at its head gave us a onceover. If not for the different house colours and slightly more liberal armour polish, these guys could easily have been part of Firetail’s band. I felt myself reflexively tense, but quickly suppressed the urge. After a moment, they waved us through without a word. Seemed even in Ostfriesen proper and without offering the pretense of apprenticeship, we were alike enough to remain inconspicuous.

We were barely out the gate, when the colour and noise hit us full on. The wide streets were bustling with a mix of knights—each of which seemed to be wearing a unique tabard—and fancily dressed citizens, many of whose gaudiness outdid even the most decked out of knights. Intermingled amongst the people were bright signs, calling attention to some attraction or other, as well as flag versions of the Ostfriesen banners.

I looked at Merri. “Let me guess, this isn’t a festival. It’s always like this.”

She wrapped a hoof around my withers. “Now you’re getting it~!”

“This way to the castle.” Star pointed further down the main road before continuing, her pace a little faster than before. I couldn’t blame her for being nervous. They would eventually have to identify themselves and the reception might not be so friendly.Night wasn’t doing too well, either, though he seemed more overwhelmed than anything. It only made sense—when Canterlot had already thrown him for a loop, and this was Canterlot, but more boisterous. I wished I had had time to take him somewhere a little more intermediate, but I supposed this was the least of all the problems we’d had in the last month.

“You okay, Night?” I asked. ‘We need to get going.”

His head snapped to me and he shook himself off, offering a smile. “Y-yeah. This place is just a bit much.”

I nodded. “Sorry. Once Star and Merri get their part settled, we can find somewhere a bit quieter.”

We quickly reached what I could only guess were the castle gates. The odd thing was that the castle extended out so close to the outer gate. In fact, the whole thing almost felt like a second city gate, with a conspicuous lack of any singular large structure. That wasn’t to say that there wasn’t a main building, nor that it wasn’t big: the central tower, which we’d seen on the way in, was as large as a small mountain. However, the appearance was much like a sized-up version of the other towers, with a greenhouse at its base. The rest of the space was filled with even more of the large towers. I supposed in the end, it probably amounted to the same thing, but this was definitely not a design I’d seen in Equestria. The closest analogue I could think of was the business area of Manehattan.

“This is the Spire of Strength, the seat of our power,” Star said as we approached the greenhouse. “The area around it is the first of the land cultivated to help us survive. Please be respectful while we are inside.”

I nodded. “Of course.”

Night tensed up, but gave a nod of his own.

“Geez, Sis’, no pressure or anything, right?” Merri’s lips dipped into a frown for just a moment.

“You could stand to show some extra respect, yourself.” Star pushed through the glass door.

“Hey, that was one time and I didn’t even start it!” Merri hurried after her.

Night and I exchanged a smirk before following.

All the greenery along the path to the Spire were in scarce quantities, yet variety by the dozens. They were also organized in a similar fashion to the plants outside the walls, though with the benefit of several plaques. Each bore the name of a plant in addition to what appeared to be a year of adoption. With how quiet it was now, I found it a little hard to imagine just how bustling this place must have been when it was the cornerstone of Ostfriesen’s survival.

A few feet before the Spire's entrance, the vegetation shifted from heritage site to decorative. A grand set of stone steps lead up to the gold-framed door. The frame was engraved, though I didn’t recognize the characters. Perhaps they were some ancient Ostfriesen dialect, or, given the pact with the dragon, draconic. I didn’t have time to ask Star, as the two guards at the door seemed to recognize her.

One was a yellow mare, pale purple braids falling about her neck. Her barding was mostly chain, though accented in key places with plated pieces. The other was a light green, whose full helmet concealed most of her features. Despite the heavy helm, her barding was largely leather, reinforced at the legs by copper.

The two guardsmares exchanged glances before the yellow one stepped forward. “Dame Starshadow. Merriweather. You know you are not supposed to be here.”

Star bowed deeply. “I am aware, Dame Ivolana. Although, I would hope that you know me well enough to understand I would not return unless there was very good reason. I must see the Queen.”

Ivolana hesitated, unable to find her words. I could see it in her eyes: law versus friendship. At last, she spoke, “I knew you as an honourable knight, Starshadow. Very well, we shall listen to why you are here, and determine if it warrants an audience. But... your sister…”

“Is part of the reason why I am here, yes,” Star said. “But not the only reason.”

Ivolana shifted her weight back, as though bracing against Star’s eagerness. “It does not matter. You know that Merriweather was banished. You chose to follow her, but the punishment was not yours.”

At that, Star seemed to compose herself. “We did not return to argue the banishment, only to bear witness to events to the north, and to give our Queen knowledge of what transpired. I may have stepped down from my position, but I am still a knight.”

“As am I. I cannot let her trespass go, Star.” Ivolana’s face contorted. The favour was too great, even if she wanted to give it to them.

“Sis’... it’s okay.” Merri stepped forward and lowered her head, as though ready to submit to shackles. “I came back knowing what might happen. You sort things out with our Queen. I'll wait. I didn't come here to flaunt my punishment.”

I really wanted to say something, to sing Merri’s praises, but the situation was already delicate as it was. For a nobody to speak up so strongly, it would draw suspicion, likely harm her case more than anything.

Ivolana bowed. “Your compliance is duly noted, Merriweather. As is your concern for your sister, Star. I shall personally ensure no harm comes to her until the Queen has heard your story.”

Star sighed, her eyes on Merri before turning to meet Ivolana’s bow. “Thank you, old friend.”

“Hibiscus. Take Merriweather to a guest room. See to it she doesn’t leave. I trust you won’t leave, Merriweather?”

Merri nodded with a rare level of solemnness. “Yeah, I won’t. You’re putting too much on the line for my sake already, Iv—uh, Dame Ivolana.”

Ivolana smiled sadly as Hibiscus led Merri toward a side door—presumably the barracks. “So long as you understand that, I thank you as well.”

“What about us?” I glanced at Star. There was almost no chance of us being allowed into the court, but since the situation practically demanded we not do anything taboo, I didn’t want to just wander around, leaving things to chance.

“Apprentices?” Ivolana asked, her eyes sliding over Night and I.

“Not quite. They are good friends.” Star gave us an apologetic look. “You two will need to wait, I fear. The effort required to have you enter the Spire of Strength with me would be considerable, and your words would have little weight with the Queen. My apologies.”

I shook my head. “I figured as much. Don’t worry about it.”

Only halfway to the door, Merri glanced back at us, half-shouting. “Perfect opportunity if you ask me. This might take some time, so why don’tcha go tour the city, eh? Make a date out of it~.”

Rolling her eyes, Star’s horn lit up, floating her coin purse over to me. “I am absolutely confident you are safe here. There should be enough there for meals and lodging. I cannot be sure how many days this will take for the Queen to verify our story. In the meantime, we may be separated, but if timing does not align for us to meet, I shall ensure that word of our progress is left at this gate.”

I tucked the bag into my satchels, next to my Equestrian coins. “We’ll leave word of the inn once we get settled.”

Night’s ears drooped a little. “Be, um... be safe, okay?”

“We’ll be fine.” Merri snuck one last wink. “Not like we’re fighting off a dragon or anything.”

I cringed a little as Night dashed toward Merri. Though he only gave her a quick hug, making sudden movements here was ill-advised. While we had the benefit of Star having a friend amongst the guards, this was probably pushing our luck. It was unlikely Ivolana would want to be seen showing such favouritism.

Night returned to Star, giving her a hug as well. “We’ll be waiting, then. Good luck.”

Since we were already at it, I hugged them in turn, albeit moving much more slowly and deliberately. “Good luck.”

“You all worry too much. Now go on, have fun~.” Merri grinned before disappearing into the barracks.

“Incorrigible.” Star shook her head, though she made no effort to hide her smile.

PreviousChapters Next