• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 3,644 Views, 401 Comments

From Dusk to Night - KuroiTsubasaTenshi



Trouble. It follows me around like an unwanted pet. The kind of pet liable to maul my friends' faces. So I tried to face the demon alone. But no one can face life alone and my friends... They're less fragile than I gave them credit for.

  • ...
9
 401
 3,644

PreviousChapters Next
48 - Freedom

I didn’t know whether to feel relieved or sick. To see Bellerophon off on his own, to know that Night was now safe, it made me smile. But at the same time, this end result was a vivid reminder of what could have happened to Night—what he had been inches away from. The thought of cutting part of one’s self away for power already made me nauseous, but this—that a monster like Broken Tooth could forcefully obliterate Night’s entire being, even being crushed beneath that massive claw seemed less cruel. And yet, I couldn’t look away.

The warriors of Olymponis remained awestruck, watching Bellerophon as though he had the divine power to alter reality. The more I thought about it, the more I could sympathize. Misguided fanaticism aside, many Equestrians look to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna with similar reverence.

When none of them said anything, Bellerophon removed Firetail’s helmet, almost using it as something of a mirror as he set it down. While he stretched his neck, I supposed it was probably as weird for him as it was for Night. Not to say that I wasn’t weirded out, but I hadn’t had to share a mind with anyone.

As if to punctuate this, Bellerophon’s eyes settled on Night while he spoke, “Ahhh. Such an odd feeling. Another unfamiliar body, and no wings. That shall take time to adjust to.”

For Night’s part, he just looked down, uncomfortably shuffling his hooves. I slipped a little closer, pressing my muzzle into his mane.

Amethyst Vein brought a spear to bear, standing before Bellerophon with as much confidence as uncertainty. “Is this a trick? Who are you? Firetail? Lord Bellerophon? I... I won’t let this farce repeat.”

To be fair, had I not spent so much time watching Bellerophon in Night’s body, I would have shared her doubts. Regardless, Bellerophon seemed undeterred, even going so far as to kneel before her, pointedly exposing his throat.

“I was once Swift Wing, who took the title Lord Bellerophon, First Knight of Queen Tapioca, Justicar of Ostfriesen. But now, I renounce all those titles, all those legacies, and bow to you.”

Amethyst Vein’s spear clattered to the floor. “You are Lord Bellerophon. Y-you can’t just renounce! We need you! You’re—”

“I’m an old fool, who let his anger rule him for too long.” Bellerophon stood, though his head remained lowered. “I will be a guide, Lady Amethyst, but little more. I wish to see Olymponis restored, but not through war and conquest as Firetail wished, nor the bloodshed which Broken Tooth intended.”

Old Ed let out a chuckle and while he tried to stand, his wounds didn’t let him get far. Regardless, there was a look of pride in his eyes. “I’ve served your family line as long as I can remember. Always, you’ve treated your position with respect, and those under your rule, fairly. I would serve no other, be they noble lord or prophesied hero.”

“On that, I agree. No more prophecies.” Bellerophon looked up, addressing the crowd as a whole before returning his gaze to Amethyst Vein. “No more oracles. It is time that you simply do what is best for Olymponis and its people.”

“I don’t even know where to begin. I'm no noble, I'm just…” Amethyst Vein glanced behind her. Though battered and tired, the militia looked at her with nothing short of respect.

“What do they need?” Bellerophon asked.

While her demeanour didn’t change, her words flowed as smoothly as water. “Food. Good food, better than the scraps and mushrooms we’ve had. Supplies too, so we can repair the city. We also lack good healers and medicine.”

It wasn’t quite what Bellerophon meant, but seemed to prove his point all the same. He smiled. “You know better than I what your people want. What they need. I will help. For as long as necessary.”

Amethyst Vein bowed her head. Even given that everything we’d done since we arrived had worked to dispel whatever fantasy she had of the return of Bellerophon, I imagined it was still very deeply rooted. I was beginning to wonder if she was going to ask for a moment to herself when she finally answered, “Very well.”

The crowd’s cheer that followed was not unexpected. While I had little doubt that a Bellerophon-backed candidate played some part in their joy, Amethyst Vein herself was more important. She had long been their leader, getting them by during a time when not one, but two tyrants ruled the city. She was their rallying point—their icon.

“And you.” Amethyst Vein turned to Night. She no longer wore that look of reverent desire, yet there was clear respect, like a warrior’s acknowledgement. “You have our thanks. You returned Lord Bellerophon to us, and through him, delivered us from this oppression. We owe you much.”

Night shrunk away. “You don’t owe me anything. I... I’m just glad it’s over.”

“Nothing? Surely, we can find something for you. Some weapon, or armour. The old vaults still have some items from the Forge. A new hoofblade, or perhaps a—”

“N-no, please. Nothing. I don’t want anything.” At this point Night looked about ready to curl up into a ball. It was impossible to blame him. Last time he got an Ostfriesen artifact, it almost possessed him. Out here, it was a total warzone, with levels of death and pain that I could barely stomach. Whatever he was feeling was doubtlessly magnitudes worse.

I was about to interject when Star stepped in front of us and cleared her throat. “What Night means to say is that we accept your offer most humbly, but our journey home will be quite difficult. If you could see to our supply needs, that would be an incredible boon.”

With that handled, I placed a hoof against Night’s withers. He relaxed a little.

Amethyst Vein’s eyes were still on Night, her confusion all but obvious. “As I’ve said, we haven’t a great deal of foodstuffs, though I believe we may find plenty of good rations when we examine the quarters where Firetail’s rabble were housed.”

“Whatever you can spare will be more than enough,” Star replied. “Thank you Lady Amethyst.”

“Dame Starshadow, a moment.” Bellerophon pondered. “I do not believe there would be reason for you and your sister to return to Equestria.”

Star’s eyebrow was raised before he even finished talking. “What do you mean?”

“Yeah, Belly?” Merri chimed in. “I was exiled. For sleeping with err… well, you? Kinda gross now that you’re in there.”

Bellerophon nodded. “Precisely. The accusations made against you, Dame Merriweather, can now be cleared quite decisively. In fact, your part in this battle shall surely prove that you had Ostfriesen’s best interests in mind—not only in preventing civil war, but in securing a new ally. I am certain your Queen will be very pleased to hear of your exploits.”

Merri’s eyes flitted over to Star. “Sis’… do you think...?”

“Very likely, yes.” Star closed her eyes, bobbing her head every so often as though mentally checking off a box. “With Bellerophon’s unique circumstances and the considerable evidence of Firetail’s misdeeds, there is almost certainly enough evidence to clear your name.”

“Oh… well, that’s uh, great, eh Sis’?” Merri’s eyes drifted over to Night and I. “We can go home.”

I wondered if either of them had considered this outcome. Merri’s voice carried a sort of melancholy that suggested she hadn’t, but at the same time, I had been prepared for that possibility, yet felt much the same. I’d said goodbye to many friends in the past, as is inevitable when someone travels as much as I. But for that same reason, it was never really goodbye forever. Technically, this was a similar case, though The Badlands presented a rather significant barrier to me stopping by for a visit.

Still, I couldn’t begrudge them wanting to go home. Were I banished from Ponyville, only to have the opportunity to return, I wouldn’t be able to refuse.

“Even in the meantime, I am sure that Regent Amethyst would be willing to allow you to stay here.” Bellerophon’s words were immediately followed by a nod from Amethyst Vein.

Merri took a deep breath, though it escaped as a bit of a laugh. “Well, good. Everything turned out great, then. We got Night all de-possessed and we get to go home.”

“Sister, are you sure?” Star watched her carefully.

“Yeah, it’s fine. We’ve done more harm than good in Equestria, anyway. I mean, first Terra, then Flurry.” Merri smiled sheepishly as her gaze briefly turned to Night and I. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been properly pampered anyways.”

“Very well, then,” Star said. “I am honoured, Lord Bellerophon, that you would make such a consideration on our behalf, but I am afraid I must decline.”

Merri’s eyes snapped to Star. “Wait, what? Sis’?”

Star met her with an unwavering smile. “I long to see home, and it would do my heart good to know that I could return someday. For that, I would be most thankful. However, for now, my sister and I have found a new home in Equestria. It may not be where we were born, or what we are familiar with, but it is quite peaceful, and we have found ourselves quite fortunate to have several wonderful friends. Friends who are willing to cross over deadly badlands, fight terrible creatures, and brave the darkest of situations to save those they love. It would be a disservice to abandon them.”

“Sis’…” Merri stole a glance at Night and I, just long enough to wink. “You guys are too much~.”

I smirked. “If you want to be pampered, I’ll take you to the Ponyville spa once we’re home.”

“It’s a deal.”

---

“Dusky?” Star asked. She was standing just a couple feet from my bed. “Are you okay?”

I blinked, barely remembering what I’d been thinking. With all the danger gone, I suppose my body was collecting on that energy deficit. “Yeah, sorry, I must have zoned out a bit.”

Amethyst Vein insisted we take one of the rooms that Firetail’s goons had been using. While it hadn’t been refurbished, the place was, unsurprisingly, better than anything we’d seen in the city. Had I not seen the repaired hall and throne room, I might have even called these chipped walls more or less pristine. Cleaning up had been as simple as piling all the usurpers’ stuff into the back corner and laying a relatively fresh burlap sack over the beds’ used hay.

While the latter would normally be pretty gross, the fact of the matter was that I’d recently been in several life-or-death battles, topped off by a quick journey back into the Badlands, and maybe half a bucket of stale water with which to wash up. If that bed wasn’t already as dirty as I, it would be.

I don’t know if Night and Merri had come to the same conclusion or were just too exhausted to care, but each of them had also taken up a bed. Both of them were peering around Star with a tired look that I very likely mirrored.

“Perhaps it was too soon to go out,” Star said.

I shook my head. “No, that mare had already been tied up for nearly two days. If one of us hadn’t guided the rescue party, it might have been too late. Besides, I’m not the one who had to fight off an ancient dragon’s super magic.”

“Is that what’s bothering you?” Merri asked.

“You could say that. I was able to guess what was going on at times, but when things got more intense, it was like trying to watch an invisible fight. There was nothing I could do—I was kind of just… there.”

“I’m glad you were there!” Night blurted out, blushing a little when I looked at him. “I… I mean, wh-when Broken Tooth was attacking me, I thought I might break, but just knowing you were there... it made me stronger.”

“Thanks, Night.” I couldn’t help but smirk a little. He was being a little dramatic, but it’s not like he was embellishing things. That was just who he was, and with Bellerophon gone, I’d only be too happy to see it all the time.

After a moment, Star said, “If you want an explanation, I can give you one, but the details are a bit complex.”

“Just leave all the in-depth spell theory out, Sis’, geez,” Merri quipped.

Star met her with a half-scowl, half-smile. “I was not going to go in depth.”

I grinned at both of them. “I’d appreciate it.”

“It all began with a mind-link spell.” Star’s expression turned serious again. “It was a stronger version than any I have heard of. More dangerous, as well.”

“You’re talking about the results of the final clash?” I shuddered as I recalled that wave of negative energy.

Star nodded. “Precisely. From what I could observe, there was no limit on the amount of energy that could pass between the link, something that could result in a long list of feedback accidents—or what Broken Tooth did. No sane mage would willingly employ such a spell.”

“Then that dumbass replicated the spell without knowing what it was,” Merri said, stretching back in her bed.

“The case for his sanity was always questionable at best.” Star shook her head. “Somehow, I do not think knowing would have stopped him.”

Night suddenly perked up. “Wait, wasn’t Firetail an earth pony?”

Mentally, I whacked the back of my head. I’d taken the explanation so much for granted that I’d forgotten Night didn’t know. “He was a Shadow Walker. They sacrifice part of themselves to wield powerful magic, regardless of species, race, or natural ability.”

“In Ostfriesen, they are known as Warlocks,” Star said.

“Or Soul Strippers or Hornless Hexers,” Merri added.

With a sigh, Star raised her eyebrow. “Could you be serious for a second?”

“I am! Those names are what they are for a reason!”

Night shrunk down. “Why? Why would anypony ever do that?”

“Because for some people, power is the only thing that matters.” I hated to say it, but there was no way around it. Night stared at his hooves.

Star cleared her throat. “Anyway, these connections, dangerous as they were, would theoretically allow him to transfer his mind—an act that could shatter it in several ways.”

Even having already seen what Bellerophon had to do to save Night—or perhaps, having been exacerbated by that, I shuddered. “Seems like hardly an obstacle when he was insane from the start.”

With a solemn nod, Star continued. “Quite likely. In fact, I am convinced that Bellerophon’s transfer to the bracer was his prototype for this task. As for Firetail, like the brute he was, he only used the channel to throw around his weight. Once Broken Tooth was wounded, it became clear just who was the real master of that tactic.”

I arched an eyebrow. “But not master enough to win against you, Merri and Bellerophon, right?”

Merri coughed and looked away.

Star let out an embarrassed chuckle. “Were that so, we would not have struggled so much. We were on the defensive the entire time, weathering the storm. What happened to Broken Tooth, he did to himself. I cannot say for certain, but while Old Ed hit a vital spot, the wound was not so deep as to be inevitably fatal. Had he been able to seek help, it is possible he would have survived. But, by then, he had already turned his allies against him. Even if he had not, I somehow do not think he would have accepted aid from the ponies he so hated. Instead, he seemed to draw from his life force, much like Firetail, converting all of it into magic. I very much believe that when he said he was going to take us all with him, he fully intended to destroy everypony and everything in that room.”

I paled. The thought had never crossed my mind that I could have been closer than inches from death, but there it was.

With a loud clomp, Night was on his hooves, though the way he was shaking, it might not have been for long. “I... I need to step outside… s-sorry.”

Night made for the door, pushing his way out before anyone could answer. I glanced at Merri and Star, who both nodded before I took off after him.

It didn’t take long to find him. After a couple turns, the corridor opened up onto a balcony that had likely seen happier days. Granted, with how ominous the cavern looked, even when we weren’t skulking through, hiding from patrols, I wasn’t entirely sure what said days were like.

Night was curled up in the corner, sobbing to himself. Even as I approached, he didn’t so much as move. I settled down beside him, slipping a wing over his back.

“I’m sorry.”

“Y-you’re sorry?” He let out a bit of a pained laugh. He took a few moments to push himself up onto his haunches. “This... this is all my fault. If I hadn't been so reckless, so stupid, a lot of ponies wouldn’t be... wouldn’t be d-dead.”

I knew of that pain too well, how hard it was to push past the guilt. All I could really do was offer the same consolation that had been spoken to me. “That’s not your fault. This was going to end in violence, one way or another. I just hope that bringing Bellerophon saved more lives than were lost.”

Night didn’t respond. He was lost. I could almost see him reading his thoughts as they lingered in the air in front of him, invisible to all onlookers.

I stretched my wing a little further, that I might pull him close. “Night? Night, it’s okay. Just take a deep breath, alright?”

After taking my advice several times, he finally looked at me. “I came so close to losing it all, Dusky. I didn’t even know what it would be like, to just... t-to let go, to lose myself, and then... then when everything was over, he was standing there, in Firetail, and... th-that could have been me.”

I leaned in, nuzzling into his mane. “But it’s not. It’s over now.”

“Y-yeah. Yeah.” Night slumped against me. “I... I wanted this. I thought, this would make me worthwhile, make me a better pony. Part of me believed it... p-part of me believed maybe... maybe I should just let Bellerophon take control.”

“That’s not true.” I hugged him a little tighter before pulling back to look him in the eye. “That's your old self-doubt talking. When it starts saying that, just remember that you're Night Light, and there's no one else I would rather you be than yourself.”

He leaned against me again, this time in more of a hug. “Y-you’re amazing, you know that? You always know just what to say to make me feel better.”

“I’m glad.”

“Dusky? Will you... I mean, do you think you and I could…” Night squirmed a little.

I pressed into his forelock. “Do I think we could what?”

“T-train.” He blushed deeply, almost looking like he was surprised at what he’d said. “Train together. Y-you know. You and me. Together, um, sparring. If... if I really want to be prepared, that is. I, we... we should probably... um... train together?”

I was rather certain he’d wanted to ask something else. Knowing him, I had an inkling of what it might be, but with things as they were, we’d be better off if I let it lie for now. Instead, I simply nuzzled him again. “Mmm. I’m no trainer like your sister. I don’t know how well I could teach you, but it might not be a bad idea.”

“R-really? Then... we should do it?”

“I don't see why not.” I pulled back so he could see me grin. “I don’t usually have a sparring partner, it could be good for both of us.”

He met my smile. “Dusky, I love you.”

“I love you too, Night Light.”

PreviousChapters Next