• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 3,644 Views, 401 Comments

From Dusk to Night - KuroiTsubasaTenshi



Trouble. It follows me around like an unwanted pet. The kind of pet liable to maul my friends' faces. So I tried to face the demon alone. But no one can face life alone and my friends... They're less fragile than I gave them credit for.

  • ...
9
 401
 3,644

PreviousChapters Next
34 - Normal

The rest of the evening was a bit hazy. After I parted ways with Night, the toll of the previous days finally struck me full on. My body felt detached from my mind, like it was moving on its own. Not that that mattered much, anyway, as I could hardly think anymore. All I knew was that I couldn’t deal with heading back to my apartment now. While there was a very good chance that it was still uncompromised—otherwise the Cartel’s thugs would have tried to ambush me there, rather than some alleyway—I didn’t want to make any further missteps. Thankfully, there were rooms right above me, just waiting to be rented.

Night caught up to me while I was getting my key, calling out to me, even though I was only about three feet away. “I, uh... y-you know... if you want, I... I can just, um, here. I can... be here for you... tonight.”

It was a surprisingly bold move. I mean, I’d hoped he would, but once I’d left the back room, I had to assume it wasn’t in the cards. While I could have asked him directly, I preferred that he didn’t feel obligated.

I remember giggling as I replied, “I wouldn't mind having somepony to snuggle with.”

The rest is a little hazy, but I do remember getting a bit flirty. It was hard not to, with the night as charged as it was. But given that I hadn’t scared him off, Night must have felt the same.

The last thing I remembered was leaning up against Night, thinking just how soft his chest was.

---

Morning came too quickly. Not that I didn’t sleep well—just the opposite, in fact. I was so worn down that I was pretty sure I could have just laid there the rest of the day.

I eased my eyes open. While the blinds were still closed, the most persistent of yellow light slipped past; the day was easily approaching noon. Despite little experience with the Seapony’s hotel rooms, I didn’t even have to look at the whole thing to tell where everything was. And judging by the beige lamp sitting on the brown nightstand, I was pretty sure Barkeep wasn’t too concerned with being trendy, which was just as well. It’s not like the Seapony was known for its hotel rooms.

Night was already up, although it looked like he’d hardly even moved. He was staring past me, his mind likely fixed on the last few days. It didn’t take long for him to notice me and as his eyes refocused, both colour and smile crept up his face.

I smiled back. “Good morning.”

“Yeah… Good morning, Dusky,” he said and leaned forward.

I pressed up against his cheek, returning his nuzzle. There was just this fine line of extra warmth where I swore I could trace his blush. I don’t know why—maybe it was just the drugs wearing off—but something about it felt more real, as if it wasn’t until that moment that I realized I wouldn’t wake up to find myself back in that cell.

But here I was, snuggling with my special somepony, when, months ago, I would have thought it impossible. To find someone who would stick with me through all this madness, especially after surviving direct encounters with said madness, and for him to convince me to even let him that close in the first place—that had to be one-in-a-million odds. But here we were, sleeping in like some sort of normal couple.

“Did... did you sleep well?” he asked.

I grinned. “Best in weeks. You?”

“I can't think of a time I've slept better…” He smiled that same sappy smile he always does.

“Glad to hear.”

Night looked sad for a moment, but quickly returned to his smile. “The only bad part is knowing that eventually, I'll have to get out of bed…”

“Yeah. As comfy as this is, I need to think about visiting the clinic.” There was the distinct possibility my day would end there, but I really hoped that wasn’t the case. I needed to talk to Rainbow Dash. This was my second time skipping out in such a short period. Even if she was in the know as far as extenuating circumstances existing, I needed to apologize.

Concern spread over Night’s face. “I-is something wrong?”

I shook my head. “I hope not. I mean, I feel fine right now, but I was just in a serious fight and a captive of the Cartel. I should get a check-up to be safe.”

“Oh, um… I sh-should probably do that too, shouldn’t I?”

“Probably. That whole brawl was quite the ordeal for everyone. Plus, it might be good to check for side effects to the other thing.”

Night shrunk a bit. “R-right. The… other thing.”

I nudged him under his chin. “We’ll get it figured out.”

---

Skipping lunch wasn’t ideal, but I’d already put the clinic visit off long enough. In truth, I probably should have gone in the night before, but it would have been an even bigger risk than heading home. In fact, I still had some concerns. However, it had to be done, and daytime was about as safe as it was going to get.

The sun beat down on my coat, hard enough that I was already sweating—before the Seapony was even out of sight. I wasn’t entirely sure if it was the weather or the fact that my senses had been skewed the last few days. Maybe it was a bit of both.

I picked up the pace, but only a bit. Any more would only make me more conspicuous and worry Night. Of course, ten seconds later, all this care and caution became moot.

“Dusky! Flurry!” Rainbow Dash’s voice rang out. I winced. Before I could blink, a blue streak collided with the ground, sending gravel flying everywhere. The dust had hardly settled when she was already in my face.

Her eyes shot over to Night, then back to me. “Where have you two been?”

“U-um…” Night looked away.

“Things came up. Bad things,” I said, hoping I wouldn’t have to elaborate. At least, not until after the clinic. “Sorry, Rainbow Dash.”

“Right, bad things. Next time, let me know, so that I can cover for you. Or help kick some flank.” A grin spread up Rainbow Dash’s face as she winked.

I couldn’t help but laugh a little. There was just something weird about my weather patrol boss offering to help me fight criminals, even if she was a national hero. “Well, hopefully I won’t need to, but I’ll try. I can’t really guarantee it if things get really… in case they get really...”

My body suddenly felt sluggish, knees locking up as my words failed me. I opened my mouth again, but a piercing pain cut straight through me, numbing everything else in its wake. It was everywhere, as though each one of White Riot’s blows were hitting me all at once. Shivers became quakes.

My innards were trying to escape through every side of my body. Instinct spread across my mind like a wildfire, urging—no, demanding that I break off into a gallop. A single thought rose above it all, flashing over and over in front of my mind's eye.

Get to the clinic!

Through sheer force of will, I raised a hoof. It was no use—the pain’s control had become absolute.

The ground rose up to meet me.

---

Next thing I knew, my nostrils were being assaulted by the scent of strong medication and sterile bandages. My whole body felt tender, leading to the odd sensation of the clinic sheets being uncharacteristically soft, except where there was significant creasing. I let out a sigh as my eyes drifted open. I’d underestimated the effects of Ghost Petal, and it had almost cost me. In fact, there was no guarantee it still hadn’t cost me.

The ceiling and its lights blended together into one overwhelmingly white blotch. After several blinks did little, I turned my head. I was greeted by an IV stand, a full bag feeding down into my left foreleg.

Great. How reassuring.

Just behind the rack was one of those stubby, white hospital cabinets; I would have barely noticed it was even there if not for the vibrant brown book sitting on top of it. I had to squint a little, but even from this angle, I could instinctively tell that the tan blob on the cover was Daring Do.

“Dusky?” Terra’s voice pulled my eyes beyond the equipment to the cluster of visitor chairs. She was seated far forward, peering at me over a half-lowered copy of Equestrian Bride. While I was a bit confused, that green muzzle was a welcome beacon in a sea of sterile white. Before I could even raise an eyebrow, she'd tossed her magazine onto the end table and darted over to me.

Her hug was careful and measured, as though she was afraid she might break me. To be perfectly honest, given how I felt, that probably wasn’t entirely out of the realm of possibility. Still, I was only too happy to hug her back.

“Thank Celestia you’re okay,” Terra was quiet, squeezing her words out between sniffles. “How do you keep getting into these things?”

I sighed and hugged her a little tighter. “Sorry, Terra. I’ll tell you more later, but it seems like I still can’t get away from my past.”

She let out her own sigh. “Your past is a jerk.”

“Tell me about it.” I smirked. As I scanned the room again, I noticed someone was missing. “Where’s Night? Is he okay?”

Terra flashed me her matchmaking grin. “Yeah, he’s just fine, aside from being worried about you, of course. He cares about you so much that I had to kick him out a few hours ago so that he’d actually get some sleep.”

Dread weighed down my stomach. “A few hours ago? Terra, how long have I been here?”

I couldn’t really say I was surprised, which only served to worry me more. It was very disconcerting to think that collapsing for long periods of time had become too ordinary to faze me.

“About a day from what I heard.” Terra shuffled her hooves.

I wanted to sigh again, but it came out as a laugh. “I should have guessed. Dare I ask what they said about my condition?”

Terra’s face became a deep frown. “Something about bruising and a drug crash and that your body just needs some time to recover. Is this… is this the thing you’re going to tell me about later?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, Terra. Rest assured I’m not an addict. I’d never willingly take the stuff.”

She nodded, though her expression remained somber. I was grateful that she was here for me, but at the same time I wished she didn’t have to deal with this. It was too much to ask of her, of anyone.

I needed something to lighten up the conversation. My eyes fell on the magazine. “So… Equestrian Bride?”

Terra immediately perked up. “Yeah! For when Stalwart asks me to marry him!”

“Marry?” I raised an eyebrow. “Haven’t you only had one date?”

“Yes, but that’s all we needed! We’re clearly perfect for each other!” Terra’s aura snatched the magazine and flipped it open to reveal a filly in an ethereal blue dress. “And I even found the cutest flower girl dress for Aster.”

So much for for lighter conversation. I let out a sigh. “Terra, this is extremely overzealous, even for you. Are you really sure you’re not rushing into this?”

Terra gave me a confused look. “What? Why would I?”

“Well… I’m starting to think you love Aster more than Stalwart Stone.”

She gasped, looking at me like I’d just kicked her. “Dusky… how could you say such a thing?”

It took me a second to realize just how poorly a different interpretation of my words sounded. As I fumbled for my words, I chastised myself for being so unthinking. “Wait, Terra. I didn’t mean to imply you’re into foals. That’s not what I meant at all.”

Terra’s pain melted into sheepishness. “No, I’m sorry too. I know you wouldn’t think that about me. I’m just not thinking straight right now.”

I nodded. “I understand. Things have been stressful for everyone lately.”

“I know… I know it seems way too fast.” A smile crept up Terra’s lips. “But he’s a real gentlecolt. We really do get along so well. I do mean it when I say we’re the perfect couple.”

I smirked. “Wait, does that mean all those other couples you called perfect weren’t actually perfect?”

With a shake of her head Terra answered, “No, I meant those too. Stalwart and I are just… perfecter.”

“Terra, that’s not even a word.”

She waved her hoof. “Psh. Details.”

PreviousChapters Next