• Published 4th Apr 2012
  • 4,977 Views, 172 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Dark Shores - SwimmingEagle



A Waterworld-esk Fallout Equestria Story, featuring Seaponies!

  • ...
14
 172
 4,977

The Deal

Chapter 2: The Deal

A spurt of blood hit me square in the nose as I struggled to pull a chunk of shrapnel from the mare’s back. I had to focus on the task at hoof. Her ear splitting screams weren’t helping my nerves. We tried to dope her with morphine, but we only had enough to dull the pain enough to keep her awake during the operation. The exact opposite of what I needed to happen.

My telekinesis wrapped around a rod that lay in the fire. Floating it over to me, I gave Hollow Bones a nod. She nodded in return and produced a rope.

“Bite down on this child, lest you bite your tongue off.” She pushed. Obediently the mare put her mouth on the sturdy rope. Having gnawed through two already, I believed it. Hollow bone looked back at me when it was done. The glowing hot rod made me sweat. I sucked in sharply, and pressed the rod to the open wound.

SSSKKKTTSSSSSSSSS

Tiny orange hairs caught fire as the hot metal boiled away blood and fused flesh. The mare seized. I pulled the rod off. The bleeding stopped, the wound was cauterized. It was the last one too. She was still writhing; her teeth were hell bent on ripping straight through the rope separating the jaws.

“It’s okay now. That was the last one.” Bones cooed. She stroked the Earth pony’s sandy mane. The injured pony panted. The ordeal tired her as much as it hurt her. I rolled bandages around her wounds. The morphine finally did its business and put her out. Or at least aided in doing so.

I gathered the tools and brought them to the water basin. Scrubbing them vigorously, I let out a small chuckle.

“We are officially out of Old world meds. Unless we can scrounge up some new stuff, we’ll be in a bad way.” I stated. Bones looked at me with a smile.

“And my knowledge of Zebra alchemic medicines is not enough?” She asked.

“I can think of a couple of reasons.” I replied. I knew where this was going.

“Those being?” she asked again

“First, ingredients. we have to venture out, more often than not, past the reef to get the reagents needed. This is dangerous. I nearly got eaten alive by a Radshark while getting the things for soul nectar.” I explained.

“Wrong, you nearly got eaten alive because you decided to go out of your way to rescue our two guests. You could have very well just went on your way.” She added

“If I left them, the blood in the water would have brought more Radsharks into Reef territory eventually. I’d rather that not be the case.” I countered.

“No need to make an excuse for your actions. It is just you’re confusing saving the two young ladies and gathering ingredients. You’re still in the right here.” The zony assured. She motioned to me to continue.

“Whatever. Secondly patients, most zebra remedies use substances that a large enough number of ponies are allergic to. Pre-war medications generalized enough that an extremely few number have an adverse reaction to them.” I explained further.

“There are substitutes for those, many of which are easy to obtain.” She countered.

“This means every single remedy has to be custom made for each patient. The time it takes to determine and gather the proper ingredients could kill them.” I countered. The zony stopped for a moment. Then started to chuckle

“You’re getting better at this game we play. You’ll be a fine shaman when I’m gone. Now then go check on the little one, she may yet be awake.” She gestured for me to leave the room. She had things from here.

“You let me know if her condition changes.” I responded smiling, making my way towards the door. Exiting the clinic area, I scanned the Dock-house bunks for the filly. The bunk we placed her in was empty, and the door outside was cracked open.

Pushing open the door, the filly sat on the bottom step to the ground. The bold yellow ‘122’ emblazoned on her blue jumpsuit reflected off the sunlight, giving her sand colored coat and brown mane a slight highlight.

“Glad to see your awake” I slid in beside her. She jumped slightly. Her eyes were pretty wide.

“Heh, I ‘m still thinking this a dream. You sure this innt?” Her accent was pretty thick, but from where I couldn’t place it. I smiled and poked a bruise on her rump. She sucked in through her teeth, wincing.

“Satisfied?” I said smirking.

“Not really.” She replied. She shifted back and forth, looking about. “Is this the Summer Sunset Islands?”

“No, they’re a long ways north from here.” Way north. Did they get turned around somehow? We were about as far south as we could get here in Oceania.

“Oh… I wuz hoping we made it.” She sank down a little. I looked around swiftly, searching for someone her age to distract her. Alas, nopony was nearby.

“Sooo, Where are you from?” I asked. Maybe I could figure out a good conversation topic.

“Stable City.” She answered. Nothing I’d heard of. Must be from farther east.

“Where’s that?” I inquired, still curious.

“Inna mountains ‘round Totting’am. North a ‘oofington.” Wait what? That was on th-

“The Mainland!? You’re from the Mainland!?” I blurted out. That was impossible!

“Wut are you on about?” She asked. She leaned back. Obviously to her, the mainland wasn’t a big deal.

“No one’s gone out of or came through the storm wall in over 200 years! How’d you do it?” I asked excitedly. A mainlander! This was so awesome!

“The Capt’n found a spot that weren’t so bad after a bit of sailing and we bolted for it.” She shrugged.

“Then?” I was practically bouncing up and down.

“We got hit by loitnin. Then we-” she stopped for a moment. I quickly gave myself quick mental hoof to the face. I just led her to recount how her ship crashed. Goddesses damn me.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” I apologized.

“No, it’s okay. Mum probably knows more. I conked out right then.” She said with a thin smile. He eyes widened suddenly. “Is mum okay?!”

“She’s sleeping right now. She was in a rough spot and she could use it.” I replied. Her eyes narrowed a bit. She raised an eyebrow. I sighed.

“We used up the last of the good medicine working on her. Even then it wasn’t enough. So we had to burn the wounds closed. We can make more medicine, but without a good sense of her medical history, the stuff we make could make her worse. It’s pretty much up to her now.” I stated methodically. Despite her age she seemed mature enough to know the reality of it. She closed her eyes and nodded slowly. She was quiet. I was quiet. Only the waves could be heard. Had to break the silence somehow.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Éclair.” She looked back up at me.

“Riptide.” I replied, held my hoof out to her, she touched it with her own. I smiled. Now to go in for the kill.

“Hey, wanna watch cartoons?” I offered.

“Wut’s a cartoon?” She asked. I smiled wider. Oooh this was gonna be good.

-- -- -- -- -- --

Éclair was asleep, lying next to me in the Theater. The hum of the projector continued on as I picked her up. She was giggling in her sleep; most likely dreaming of a duck and a rabbit arguing violently or a colt dressing in drag to mess with the Big Bad Timber Wolf. I made my way out of the theater and to the Dock-House.

It was night. We lit the tiki torches placed around the pathways on the island. The ocean spray cooled the air to a mild chill. The cloud cover was light enough that you could make out a star or two. The other seaponies were heading back into the water, making their way into their own little nooks and crannies in the reefs. Hollow Bones sent out a few search parties earlier, to look for the other ponies on the boat. According to Éclair there were at three others besides her and her mother. It’s been several hours since they started. So far they only brought back chunks of the wreckage. A boat is still a boat, even after it’s been ripped to shreds.

Inside the Dock House, Hollow Bones stood near the clinic door, her old eyes drifting from each of the Non-seaponies that lived here. She ushered me into the clinic. Éclair’s mother was awake. Still lying on the bed, she looked no better than when I left her. I floated Éclair to her. She wrapped a foreleg around her. She looked back up to me.

“Well I’ll be the first to say it guess. Thank you for saving us.” She said. Her voice was slightly husky. She had the same accent as Éclair but it was far more subdued. “My name is Sorbet.”

“Riptide.” I introduced myself.

“Watch out we got a badass over here.” She remarked, snorting as she laughed. “Or did your parents really name you that?”

“Well mom wanted my name to be Silver Screen, but dad pressed the issue of my subspecies.” I said nonchalantly. She looked around. Her ears and eyes drooped a bit.

“I notice we’re the only ones here.” She had a smile on her face, but it was hollow.

“I’m sorry but you two were the only ones I could find.” I lowered my head. She closed her eyes and shook her head.

“It was a foolish thing, this whole trip. Capt’n was right set on getting through” she said with a pained smile. She nodded to herself.

“To be fair, you did. No one has gone through the storm wall in two centuries. You two are the first ever outsiders to Oceania.” I tried to lighten the mood a little.

“Well innt that a thing! Only cost five of the best of Ponykind these days and probably a few pints of my blood.” She said sarcastically. I guess getting through wasn’t worth it. She kept looking around, sighing after a while.

“Look, I’ve got a slight bit of a problem. I came here to do a job. Now, seeing as the state I’m in, you're banking on me healing on my own. I can already tell you it’s a rough bet. And if I do it will take months. I haven’t the luxury of months. ” She summed up the situation pretty good. She had a good head on her shoulders I guess.

“Let me guess, you want to take your chances at finding a place with better med supplies.” I finished for her. She’d rather sail then stay in one place. Understandable.

“Well, I figured maybe you could do it.” Her eyes narrowed on me.

“Now you’re going to have to explain that one to me.” I replied.

“You need medical supplies, so do I. Get me some and I’ll get you some. I also need to get to Summer Sunset Island. If you help me and mine getting there, I can figure out some way to pay you back with interest.” She offered. It was so… Simple. She was cut off from the mainland so whatever supplies she could ship over would be null. Getting her fixed was a tall order in of itself. So I was supposed to take it on blind faith that she’d pull through? No de-

“We’ll do it.” Bones interjected.

“Hubadawha?” I stammered. The zony looked at me. I gave her the ‘Are You Serious?’ look.

“We will take the deal.” She reconfirmed. My jaw was wide open. Scooting over to me, she put a foreleg around my neck.

“I just have to discuss the finer details with my apprentice then we will start in the morning. Until then, try to get some rest. You’ll need it.” She pulled me out of the clinic. Okay, if she thinks she can get out of this one without some kind of resistance then she’s got another thing co-

“She can’t pay.” She stated to me bluntly. Of course she couldn’t. All her stuff is- wait what? Is she agreeing with me?

“She’ll try to reimburse you but you must not let her. It would be too much.” She continued. Wait… What? I must have had a clueless look one my face because she kept explaining.

“Listen, The trip will be enough payment. Yes, we need medical supplies. Yes, she may be able to pay later. But helping her will benefit The Reef more than some medicine from the mainland.” She explained. Okay, my interest peaked.

“How exactly?” I asked. This ought to be good.

“Trade. Our village doesn’t have the capability of being truly self-sufficient. The only supplies we have are those we’ve scavenged from the island, stuff we’ve made ourselves, and from lost ponies. We need caravans, traders, and the like.” She elaborated. That… made sense.

“I bet Brass Bits would love to get the parts to fix that old rifle.” I mused to myself. “If we are going to be doing that, then let’s not forget our biggest asset. The Theater. Start charging outsiders who come. That should bring enough trade for the stuff we need.”

“That can work, but that all depends on you sending ponies here.” She smiled. This could work.

“Heh, I just though sending somepony to get the medicine would have worked. This is a much better plan.” I chuckled to myself more than to anything.

“That is why I’m still the Shaman, and you’re still Apprentice Shaman.” No need to get smug Bones…

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

I have never seen the Island so active before.

Ponies left and right were working on this… bastardization boat. Chunks of the boat that we recovered made up a good portion of craft. The bottom of the boat was made up of surf boards and wood from the wreckage. It had a thatched roof with palm leaves and a sail made from beach towels and a small palm tree. The rudder was made from stuffed Radshark fins. The nose had the most important feature. It was a potted lemon shrub. Oh and a harness, for me to pull the boat.

The bastard boat floated near the dock. Sorbet was being loaded onto the boat. Éclair not far behind her. I however had to go to theater. There was somepony I had to see yet. I walked back behind the theater, towards the employee entrance. There was a small clearing by the shrubs. Two headstones stood in the clearing, Serene Scene and Gibson Score.

“Hey mom, hey dad. Just wanted to say Hi, before I left. Probably going to be a while before I come back.” I said. I smiled slightly as I rested my head on mom’s headstone.

“Watch over the place while I’m gone ‘kay mom?” I asked. I moved over to dad and placed my hoof on the stone.

“Make sure mom doesn’t get into too much trouble while she does okay?” I smiled. I could almost feel a spectral bump on the head from my mom.

“I’ll see you later.” I said finally. I turned to see Hollow Bones standing there. She was smiling.

“They’ll be watching over you instead of The Reef.” She said to me.

“How do you figure?” I asked.

“I’ll just tell them I got it covered.” She replied.

“Really? Hey Ma! She says she doesn’t need you to look after the place!” I called back to the graves.

“Now I didn’t say… Oh please don’t call your mother’s wrath from beyond. It’s not nice.” She had a face that pretty much said ‘Not Cool.’

“Don’t worry about it, Dad would rein her in before that would happen. Most of the time” I started chuckling. Hollow bones still didn’t buy it. Gotta love messing with the religious. Even if mom could it would just be a playful prank. Bones shook her head.

“The boat is ready if you are.” She stated.

“Yeah, I’m ready.” I replied.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The boat was loaded and ready to go. Both Éclair and Sorbet were on already. I had gotten my things, my spear, knife, club (much to Brass Bits' distress), and a new item. Hollow Bones had Brass bits make some barding for me from the Radshark I killed. It was light, but probably the toughest leather out Reef. And as Brass Bits put it ‘payment for services rendered’ he threw in a necklace made from the teeth.

Hollow Bones walked up to me. She patted me on the back and bowed her head.

“May the Goddesses guide you, and Poseidon clear your path.” She prayed for me.

“And the stars be kind to your life.” I returned. She smiled.

“I’m glad your remember something I taught you.” She said.

“Not even half of it.” I joked as I turned towards the boat.

I was about to get on when I thought of something. This boat needs a name. I thought hard for a moment. The name popped into my head suddenly. I looked around and found an empty bottle of Sparkle-Cola.

“I, Riptide of The Reef, Hereby dub this vessel The Poseidon!” I shouted as I smashed the bottle against the side. A cheer sounded out. I looked back and saw a few ponies applauding. A voice called from the newly christened boat.

“Oi! Are you just gonna stand there or are we sailin!?” Éclair shouted to me. I smiled and climbed aboard. I smiled wider.

“Arr! Hoist the anchor me Mateys! Bring up the sails! We arrr about to make way!” Shouted in pirate speak. Éclair and Sorbet were less than impressed.

“Fine…” I grumbled as I steered the boat to the left. The wind caught the beach towel sails. We were heading north. To Summer Sunset Isles.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Notes:
No Significant level progress.