• Published 20th May 2014
  • 5,909 Views, 80 Comments

Octavia's Lesson - Detrail



Warning: Contains Diapers, and AB/DL themes. Octavia is left stressed after an incident, and as a result she is ordered to seek the aid of an unlikely mare to get her back to her old self.

  • ...
18
 80
 5,909

Chapter 6

Author's Note:

Warning: This story contains diapers, diaper usage, and AB/DL themes. If these do not appeal to you, then please do not read any further.

Vinyl carefully opened the bathroom door and snuck into the hallway, again spying on Octavia’s condition. She could see Octavia finished with her diaper change, but her upset face was turned towards the kitchen. Vinyl trotted into the living room, ready to do what she needed to. “Alright! So, Tavi. Let’s talk about why you were so upset.” Octavia remained still, not paying any attention to Vinyl’s presence. Just as stubborn as expected. Now time to see if she wasn’t kidding about Tavi. Vinyl sat down onto the couch, her diaper emitting a loud crinkle that drew Octavia’s attention.

Turning around, Octavia was greeted with a familiar sight. Once again she was left flabbergasted at Vinyl’s audacity. “V-V-Vinyl? What are you wearing!?”

Vinyl sighed, rolling her eyes at Octavia’s comment. “Really Tavi? Haven’t we gone through this exact same conversation before?” she said, pausing to look back at Octavia with a smile. “I didn’t want you to feel embarrassed so I figured if both of us were wearing them, neither one of us would feel weird. ‘Sides, you gotta admit sitting on this couch is way more comfy with a diaper on.” Vinyl said with a subtle enthusiasm, her smile growing to a not quite as subtle size.

Octavia looked back at the smiling diapered mare. After all that had transpired she was unsure what to do. A few minutes ago she was crying, next her overly excitable host consoled her, and now here they both were sitting on the couch in nothing but their foalish attire. The severity of the moment, as well as the actions of her host finally dawned on her. Wow this mare really does have issues, and she thinks I am the one that needs to talk about their problems. I am being consoled... by an idiot… Under normal circumstances she would be upset, but for some reason defying all that had happened, she started laughing. It started as a chuckle, but then grew into an uncontrollable thunderous laughter, forcing her to double over. Vinyl observed Octavia’s jovial state confused. Eventually Octavia had managed to regain some portion of her composure. “Hahaha! You should look at how silly you look sitting there in a diaper smiling, you look like a foal.”

Vinyl was taken aback by Octavia’s comment, that lacked all the refinement and tact she had come to know the mare for, but she knew this was her best chance to get Octavia to open up. “Well at least I don’t need them like one.” Vinyl glanced at the mare slyly. This only lasted for a moment, as she was unable to keep up the act as she also collapsed into Octavia’s infectious laughter.

Not wanting to lose this argument Octavia countered, “Oh I may need them. But by the way you act, you probably enjoy wearing them.” Octavia had managed to calm herself down. She was now waiting for Vinyl’s rebuttal.

Vinyl looked back at her, and clearly and calmly stated. “Even if that was the case, you gotta admit these diapers are pretty fun.”

Hearing this, Octavia fell silent. She didn’t expect Vinyl to admit such a thing. Because of this, she had no way of countering Vinyl’s statement. Was she right, or was she wrong? This was a question she had avoided answering for a long time. But right now that didn’t really matter. Regardless of this conflicting concept Vinyl brought to her attention, something more important was weighing on her mind.

Looking over, Vinyl could see the conflict in Octavia’s eyes. She decided it would be better if she dropped her current question. This isn’t good. I need to stop, and take this one step at a time. “So Tavi, do you mind telling me what is wrong?”

Octavia’s thought was interrupted by Vinyl’s current attempt at probing her. Being a pony from Canterlot she had spent most of her life building up a wall around her. Yet today, this pony made her feel a way she never felt before, she felt she could trust this mare in a way she couldn’t trust anypony else. Her every attempt at repelling her, only caused her to come back harder. She was determined to break that wall, and the thought that she might actually succeed slightly scared Octavia.

As she looked on to that smiling face, her fears vanished, replaced with the curiosity of what really existed outside that wall she forged. She may be crazy, but right now I don’t think there is another pony I would rather be with. So warm, not like the other ponies back at the academy. In fact, she even reminds me of… Octavia took one last glance at the mare, and her final decision was made. “Okay Vinyl, I will tell you what happened. But for that to happen, I need to tell you everything. Things that I haven’t shared with anypony.” Presented with an opportunity to finally understand Octavia, Vinyl nodded in agreement. Looking back at the inquisitive mare, Octavia finally felt at ease. For the first time in her life she felt she could let somepony else in. She began by recounting the events of the day making sure to cover the events of the gala, and how they invariantly led to her depression. As Octavia finished she looked back at Vinyl, the once happy mare now had a confused and disturbed look on her face.

“Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight. You attacked Pinkie Pie! Remind me never to catch you on the wrong side of the bed.” She paused as she noticed that her attempt to lighten the mood only furthered Octavia misery. “But hey listen, that gal is a party animal and I am sure she is fine. What I want to know is why you were so upset. I mean I get that playing all those songs caused you to get in all that hot water. Also, those requests probably annoyed you as much as it did the guests, so why did you do it?”

Octavia remained mute, for her the difficulty was not in explaining why, but accepting the reason behind it. Yet, looking back at Vinyl’s caring face made it difficult for her to keep silent. “Vinyl… It’s not that I was upset. I was actually quite happy that night.” This comment left Vinyl confused, but in order to understand what was happened she let Octavia continue. “That night I thought I was happy, but then she showed up. That crazy mare was hopping around smiling and laughing. As happy as I was, I was sure she was happier, but I couldn’t tell why. Then she approached me, and she asked me to do something I haven’t done in a long time.”

Octavia sunk further back in the couch, and stared at the ceiling reminiscing about her past. “You see Vinyl back when I was just a filly I used to have difficulty talking to other ponies. You must know that in Canterlot it’s hard to really fit in unless you know somepony… So I mostly stayed to myself distant from my classmates, until that day. Due to an incident at the School for Gifted Unicorns all outdoor activities were canceled for a week, and everyone was miserable. We were having a show and tell, and I brought my cello. I really wasn’t able to speak to my classmates; looking back on it I was rather pathetic. So instead I played, and they cheered for me. The songs themselves were really simple. Like the Pony Pokey, and other childish ones. But they were happy, so I was happy.” Octavia soon became lost in thought

Noticing that Octavia had stopped suddenly, Vinyl realized that she needed to try and keep the mare talking. “Well that makes sense, I love it when a crowd get so into it they are cheering you on.”

Octavia shook her head in response to Vinyl’s comment. She realized that Vinyl and she were disconnected, and she needed to rectify her understanding. “That isn’t it Vinyl. I wasn’t happy because they were applauding, I was happy because they were happy. I looked at all their smiling faces, and how they enjoyed every note I played. At that moment I knew what I wanted to do with my life, but I sadly lacked a cutie mark to prove it. This was something I wanted to do above all else, regardless of whether or not I was destined to do so. So I practiced and practiced, until one day I finally got my big break. Thanks to a song I wrote, something I poured everything I had into. For all my hard work I was awarded with this cutie mark, and a scholarship to the academy. I have been there ever since, playing for those blank emotionless faces. I thought that I would finally be able to play for people that enjoyed it, but the most they ever do is nod in approval.”

Vinyl looked on amazed by how much Octavia had worked to reach this moment. He never told me that. All this time I thought she was some snooty rich mare. But then why does she remind me so much of myself? Vinyl pondered this as she remembered the second page of the letter. “...and that Vinyl is why I am asking you to do this. I believe you are the only one that can ever truly understand her.” Vinyl was left dumbfounded. There is no way she could have known that about me unless… Frederick! Ugh! How much did you tell her about me!?

Her mind was filled with thoughts of conspiracy set by her former professor. She looked up at that mare pondering if she had any hand in this. Yet, looking at Octavia and hearing that story she was quite familiar with began to drain any thoughts of conspiracy out of her. All she could see was that sad mare looking for someone to open up to. As she continued looking at her, she saw something she had yet to see in a long time. In that instance she saw that fear surrounding her break and all the sadness shatter, as she saw Octavia smile genuinely for the first time since she met her.

The joy overflowed from her as, fond thoughts began to permeate her being. “That’s why I was so happy that night. I played for hours and everyone nodded with approval, but she was different. She was so happy; she thanked me, and smiled. She didn’t just approve of my playing, she loved it. That is why I kept taking all of her requests that night. She reminded me why I loved music to begin with… and that reminder ended with my bedwetting. It is not that I hate her, but I hate what I have become.” She stopped momentarily as she finally came to terms with her outburst earlier. “When I was crying, I was mourning the pony I had become.”

Vinyl hearing this was shocked to hear a story similar to her own, almost verbatim, but managed to keep her cool. “Y-yeah I got sick of those rich snobs as well. One of the reasons I moved out here. But Tavi, it seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth don’t you think? I mean how sad you were, and the bedwetting; if you hate it so much why not just quit?” Octavia turned to the mare, her diaper crinkling as she did. Vinyl looked on at a loss for words at the sight of the formally meek mare. The determination and resolution flowing from her eyes was more than she ever expected.

Her voice once somber and shaking was now steady and absolute. “Vinyl, I won’t quit for the same reason you, nor any musician worth their salt won’t. I love it far too much. Even if the crowd is silent, or I am playing to an audience of empty chairs it doesn't matter.” She raised her hoof and placed it on her chest. “I hear the applause in here, and I am filled with hundreds of smiling faces inside of me. That is why I love to play, as long as those faces inside of me are there, I will play to see them smile.”

Hearing this Vinyl felt something resonate inside of her, and her own feelings began to well up inside. Was this really a student from that stuck up academy? She spent all of her life trying to find happiness, and she was all alone. I know what that is like, and I hate it. I still hate it! But she never ran away... “Hey Tavi…” Vinyl trailed off lost in thought.

Octavia looked at her confused, “Um, yes Vinyl what is it?” She looked over at the now motionless mare. She could see that Vinyl’s eyes had glazed over, and knew something was wrong. “Vinyl, are you alri-” She was cut off mid-sentence as she was grabbed. Looking down she could see it was Vinyl hugging her tightly with a smile on her face. “V-Vinyl what are you doing!” Octavia was left distraught over Vinyl’s sudden outburst.

“Wow Tavi you are so cool!” Octavia began to struggle causing Vinyl’s grip to tighten, making her escape far more unlikely. “You are so awesome, you know that!?” Vinyl began to tear up from the joy she felt.

Not used to such affectionate contact, Octavia continued to struggle as she began to use her hooves in an attempt to push Vinyl away. “That is great but can you please, leeeet gooo.” Octavia stressed as she tried to escape the mare’s iron grip.

“No way! You are staying here with me, we are best friends now.” In Vinyl’s eyes for the first time ever, she finally met someone like her. Octavia you’re nothing like those Canterlot ponies. Your reason for playing, that joy you have, and even how you feel right now; I understand it all. I don’t care about what their plan was; there is only one thing I am sure of. Your mom was right, everything she said about you, and everything she said about me. We aren’t the exact same, but I want us to be best friends so please say yes! Vinyl continued to hold the mare tight despite her pleas.

Octavia continued to thrash about for several minutes. In the end all she managed to do was tired herself out, she realized there was only way to escape. Sighing she relaxed, she looked back at the elated mare that clung onto her. While she put on a face of annoyance, right now she was the happiest she had been in a long time. “Okay Vinyl we are friends now. So could you please let me go!” With those words Octavia felt Vinyl’s grip loosen, allowing her to break free. Relieved to be free of the white mare’s embrace, which she could only describe as a bear trap. While she really wasn’t angry over her nonconsenting agreement, she was still upset at how Vinyl acted. “Is that really how you make friends!? You hold them captive until they agree?”

Vinyl was still overjoyed from Octavia’s agreement earlier. The smile on her face stood out brightly, as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “Nope, I only do that with ponies I really like. Plus if you said no I would have been really upset.” Octavia was still annoyed, but was happy to hear Vinyl say that. The thought that she was that adamant to become her friend, as forceful as she was, was rather sweet.

Sitting there, she realized none of this would have happened if not for what she did earlier that day. As she began to reflect on the day’s events, the joy she felt was quickly interrupted by the realization of the events prior to her return. Her angry statements and violent outburst at that mare, which had once reminded her how to be happy. Getting up she knew what she had to do to set things right. “Well all that aside. I still feel terrible for hurting the pink mare earlier. After all she did for me, and the way I treated her. I have to go apologize right away.” Octavia began walking to the door, only to have Vinyl grab her tail in an attempt to stop her.

Octavia looked back to see a desperate Vinyl trying to keep her from leaving. “Sorry Tavi, but I think it’s a bit late to go right now. Listen I have to meet with Pinkie tomorrow anyway, she’s my new employer for a series of parties she is throwing this month. How about I talk to her and break the ice, that way you can apologize later. Does that sound good?” Vinyl noticed the tension on Octavia’s tail decreased, indicating the she was no longer moving towards the door. “Besides, it is not like you can go out in a diaper.”

Octavia was shocked; she had forgotten she was still wearing it. As a result of Vinyl mentioning her diapered state, she became red with embarrassment. “About that, do you mind if I take this off? I feel much better now thanks to you.”

“No way!” Vinyl exclaimed overzealously. She quickly realized she had been a bit too excited, and needed stop and calm herself down. “I mean... it’s already time for dinner, and after that you can head to bed. I mean it wouldn’t sense to take it off and then put a new one on. That’s just a waste of a perfectly good diaper.” Vinyl then got off the couch, and walked next to the grey mare. “Tell ya what. How about I wear mine until bed too, so you won’t have to worry as much.”

Octavia saw that Vinyl’s argument was well thought out, even if she knew there were other reasons Vinyl wanted to keep wearing one. Yet, she was unable to poke any holes in it, and be honest with herself she really didn’t want to. Right now all she wanted to do was eat, and then go to bed. “Okay Vinyl you win. I personally can’t wait to eat. By the way, would you mind telling me about your time back at the academy?” The two crinkling mares continued their conversation, and walked into the kitchen to have their dinner. It was simple, as due to the events of the day there was nothing prepared, forcing the diapered duo to fix something to eat on the spot.

But that really didn't bother them. The two were far more engrossed with their conversations about their foal hood, the academy, and their dreams for the future. As their meal came to a close, so did the first real conversation the two mares have had since they met. As the two exited the kitchen and said their goodnights, the two turned in to their respective rooms for the night.

Vinyl, still excited from spending time with her new friend, trotted back to her bed. She promptly got into her bed, but contrary to what she said earlier she kept her diaper on. Man today was a lot of fun. I really hope I didn’t go too overboard with the diapers. All I know is she may say she hates it, but I know for a fact there is more to her story. Vinyl paused to clearly review the events from today. Who would have thought we would be so much alike. Right now all I know is that I want to be her friend, and not just because of an order or a request. This is something I want to do.

Vinyl secured herself in warmth blanket, and she began to flow into the serenity of the night. Suddenly she felt a pull in her bladder, and only one pleasurable concept of how to alleviate her predicament came to mind. Then without much conscious effort she let the urine inside of her flow into the diaper’s soft padding. The diaper soon began to warm and swell, and the added comfort made her transition that much easier as she was soon fast asleep.

During this time Octavia had finally made it back to her room, and then much like her host was immediately drawn to the soft embrace of her bed. Lying down she scanned her dark room, and noticed that her cello stand was bare. As she realized this she began to remember that she dropped it during her fit, and it was still downstairs on the cold floor. Normally she would have raced downstairs, however right now she was not compelled to retrieve her most prized possession. For reasons beyond her understanding she did not require the sight of her cello to put her at ease tonight. For the first time, in a long time she was at peace, both with herself and the world.

Pulling her blanket up, she ran her hoof along the outside of the diaper, causing it to emit a soft crinkle. As she continued to probe the diaper she pressed down on the front, causing a jolt of electricity to run down her spine as she felt the softness and comfort it gave her. Even with the headache that came with being forced to wear them as a result of her bed wetting. Octavia knew she did enjoy them more than she was willing to admit. In an attempt to induce sleep she closed her eyes, but try as she might she couldn’t suppress the happiness she felt right now. That Vinyl. She is a bit strange, but she is a good pony, and a good… friend. Looking up at the ceiling she was glad that she was required to come here, and that she was required to meet that odd and kind hearted mare.

Soon Octavia began to fade into the night, as the thoughts of the day began to drift away. When a sudden realization jarred her mind back into functioning. Wait, these diapers are far thicker than I am used to, and they make much more noise than usual. It took her only seconds to realize that she had never actually entered the pharmacy earlier that day. So that means I shouldn’t have any of my diapers right now. At that moment a spark ignited in her mind, as she began to piece everything together. Staring up at the ceiling, her eyes wide open, she stated in a monotone and uninterested voice. “I am wearing one of Vinyl’s diapers aren’t I…” Hearing this out loud didn’t help, as Octavia continue to stare at her ceiling in denial. As the hours went by she continued this act, in an attempt to refute her reality. This went on until the powerful allure of sleep overwhelmed her, and she sank away into the night.