• Published 19th May 2014
  • 6,089 Views, 193 Comments

A Roll in the Hay - Shahrazad



The Apple family farm is in trouble, and Big Mac has only one day to get three hundred and fifty bits together. He’s only got one chance. It’s just a roll in the hay— it doesn’t mean anything…

  • ...
17
 193
 6,089

The Cutie Mark Crusaders

No.

Sweetie Bell circled around him and chirped, “Mmm-mmm, this looks good!”

No.

Scootaloo gamboled around to Big Mac’s other side. “Yeah, you’re right, it looks so tasty! Hey, are you gonna move, Mr. Apple?”

No.

Apple Bloom pointed right at the spot where Big Mac sat, directly where his flank met the hay. “I want me some o’ that!”

No no no no.

“Me first!” Sweetie Belle cried.

NO!

“What? Just cause you put in three bits? Your sister gives you lots of bits! That’s not fair— I wanna try first!” Scootaloo grumbled as she glared at Sweetie Belle.

NO!

“Uh, ‘scuse me, this here is mah farm, an’ mah big brother. AH git ta go first,” Apple Bloom said proudly.

NO NO NO NO—

“Are you okay?” Sweetie Belle put a hoof on Big Mac’s flank. It was all she could reach from her stature.

Apple Bloom tilted her head. “Big bro, yer white as a sheet. What’s wrong?” she asked.

Big Mac’s eyes rolled up into his head, and everything went black.

~~~~~

“WEEEE hee-hee-hee!” Big Mac woke to a little filly screaming. His head pounded— no wait, something was pounding on him. Something small and furry bounced on his chest.

Big Mac slowly opened his eyes with a grimace on his face and looked around, determined to face this new hell.

Instead, he found a mess. At least four bales of hay had been broken open and spilled onto the ground, along with the pile of hay he had been using all day. It covered an appreciable area of the barn. Sweetie Belle popped up out of a particularly large lump of hay, bits of straw sticking out of her mane, and smudges of dirt all over her face. “This is so much fun!”

Scootaloo appeared out of another lump of hay, this one behind Big Mac. Bits of straw stuck out of her mane and right wing. “Yeah, who knew it was so cool to roll in the hay? Why don’t you do this all the time, Apple Bloom?”

“Ah dunno, Ah never tried it before. Why don’t we do this all th’ time?” Apple Bloom stood right on top of Big Mac, staring him in the eye, hugging a wad of hay in her hooves. She tossed it into the air. As it rained down on Big Mac and Apple Bloom, she giggled, “WEEEE hee-hee-hee!”

Big Mac’s right eye twitched. He could feel his blood pressure slowly dropping. He breathed in and out in a slow, steady rhythm, trying to take it all in. When a bit of straw lodged itself in his mouth, he instinctively bit down. Apple Bloom tumbled off of his chest and disappeared into the straw when he sat up. “Uhhh,” he intoned. He sighed, but smiled anyway. Cleaning the barn was worth six bits.

Straws of hay had worked their way into everything— their manes, tails, Scootaloo’s wings, stuck to walls, on top of the work bench, and even on the stack of mail. Big Mac forgot about his day, the notice, the sign, everything, while he rolled in the hay with his little sister and her friends. She laughed like he wanted her to laugh, carefree and innocent. There would be plenty of time for her to learn all about a more mature “roll in the hay” later in her life. Right here, right now, she needed to be exactly who she was.

Big Mac rolled onto his back and sighed. This is why Ah put up that sign. This is why Ah need those bits… Bits! Crud! Where are they?

Big Mac frantically searched through the piles of hay. Apple Bloom stopped throwing hay at her friends for a moment, dry straw raining down all around them, and asked, “What’s wrong, big brother?”

“Ah can’t find th’ jar with th’ bits! Ah need it!” he called, still frantically flattening lumps of hay to find his missing cash.

“We’ll help ya!”

It took several dirty, sweaty minutes of searching, but eventually Scootaloo found it. It had rolled into the corner, and several bits had spilled out onto the floor. Big Mac shot across the room and snatched the jar. He hugged it to his chest and sighed. “Uh, yer welcome, Mister Apple,” Scootaloo said as she rolled her eyes.

Big Mac blinked and smiled sheepishly. “Thank ya, Scootaloo. It’s gettin’ a mite late. Shouldn’t y’all be gittin’ home?”

Sweetie Belle rolled over and sat up from the pile of hay. Her eyes lit up like she had won the lottery. “You mean we don’t have to clean this up?”

“Really, big brother? You’ll take care of it?”

“Eeeyup!”

“BEST BITS WE’VE EVER SPENT!” They all said in unison, with massive grins on their faces.

Looking thoroughly disheveled, the three of them trotted to the front barn door. “Uhhh,” Big Mac mumbled as he looked at the three of them. They had rolled around in hay for quite some time, making them sweaty, breathless, messy, and dirty. The cherry on top: the hay stuck to them in various places. “Maybe y’all should use the back door.”

“Why?” Apple Bloom asked, with one brow raised at her brother. “The farm is just up the road, this way,” she said, pointing at the front barn door.

“Jus’ do this fer me, please?” Big Mac pleaded with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. He felt silly begging foals, but if the wrong pony saw them…

“Okay, whatever,” Scootaloo said as she shrugged and plowed through the hay one last time. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom galloped after her. They filed out of the back barn door with satisfied grins on their flush faces.

Whew

Big Mac gathered up his bits and poured them into the jar. He smiled when he found that one of the “bits,” probably one given to him by the Cutie Mark Crusaders, turned out to be just a yellow button. It didn’t matter though. He had… three hundred and sixteen bits. He couldn’t believe it— he’d never made so much money in a single day. Or even a single week! Well, maybe during cider season, but that took months to prepare for. He placed the heavily laden jar on the work bench and started to clean the barn. He began to roll all the extra hay up in a pile so he could create new bales later.

Halfway through the first roll, the barn door creaked open behind him.

Big Mac froze. Buck me! Ah fergot the sign is still up! A set of hooves clopped into the barn, striking the ground with sharp notes. Big Mac swallowed, put a smile on his face and turned around.

His smile melted off of his face, and his ears fell to the sides of his head when he saw who stood in the entryway. He leaned back, as if the pony only a few strides away was on fire. His hind hooves quivered, and the disgusting, oily feeling in them slid up his spine. “Uhh… h-hello.”

The mare’s lower lip quivered. “How could you? HOW COULD YOU?!” she shouted. Tears welled up in her eyes, but still she glared at him with the fury of a thousand suns. “THOSE ARE MY STUDENTS, YOU DISGUSTING PIG! AND APPLE BLOOM IS YOUR SISTER!”

Cheerilee closed her eyes, tears squeezing out of them, as she turned away from him. “I can’t even look at you. I’m going to the police, so just… say goodbye to your family. I owe you that much.” She turned away from him and lifted a hoof to walk out the door.