• Published 15th May 2014
  • 1,010 Views, 23 Comments

Path of the Starclaw - RedmoonLevee



A Star clan Lizardfolk dies in his world, only to awaken in Equestria.

  • ...
5
 23
 1,010

4: Greeting Starclaw

The glare I was giving my hand could have buckled steel. Yet there it sat, numb and useless. I could still feel small things like me poking it, or Nurse Redheart worked on it. That was a good sine, but Redheart said it could take months for it to get back to being used, let alone get feeling back in it. So there I sat, on the bed, tray of food in my lap, giving my hand a death glare.

Yep, my life had turned down a strange path.

A knock on my room door made me look up from my hand. A butter yellow pegasus was standing in my doorway trying her best to hide in her pink mane. The fact that the glare never left my face didn't help her to stop hiding behind that long pink mane. This made me glare even harder at her.

“You lost?” I snapped at her.

She mumbled something I wouldn't have heard if I was right next to her.

“You going to stand there and mumble at me or come in here and talk?” I growled.

Man, I got to work on at least trying to be nice.

Nurse Redheart walked up beside her as she was about to dash out, stopping her retreat and making me smile. Just so you know, my snout has rows and rows of sharp, pointy and dagger-like teeth, and when I grin, even though I love to smile, I make a crocodile look friendly. Even Redheart stopped to look scared.

“Starclaw, that is no way to treat a guest.” Redheart chastised me.

I laughed at this. Redheart, a small pony (I was given a small explanation when I woke up that day), was telling me to be nice. Me, the big scary new thing that dropped out of the sky, bleeding all over everything and snarling at everyone. She was brave, and I was a fool

“Sorry, my hand just made me angry,” I said.

That's when the shy little pony piped up.

“What happened?” she almost demanded.

“I can't get it to move like it should,” I huffed.

She trotted up to the bed and looked at my hand. She took it into her hooves and turned it, making the wrist turn and the fingers to twitch. As she was looking at it, I started in on my food.

“How did your claw get like this?”

“I used it to stop an ax from taking my head off,” I said through a mouth full of fish.

She looked at me in horror. “Who would do that to you?”

I didn't understand what she mint. I looked at her puzzled and blinked.

“A Soldier doing his duty to his king. Even if he was wrong, I don't blame him for it.”

She looked like she was about to cry at what I said.

“I bit his arm off in return,” I smiled at her as I chomped down on the fish once more.

The color drained from her face as she comprehended what I just said. Even the stoic Redheart went pail(er) at that. That was when it hit me, this world didn't know violence like mine, or at least these ponies didn't. I started to giggle and let it build to a rolling belly laugh.

“That is not funny.” Redheart said sternly.

“The look.... *snort* on your face.....” I nearly fell off the bed I was laughing so hard.

I love the power of laughter. If you do it long enough (and hard enough), everyone around you joins in. They can't help it. I once sat in a tyrant's throne room laughing at his hat for a good ten minutes, until everyone in the room (but him of coarse) was laughing with me. I still don't know why I found that hat so funny. Maybe it was the feather.

They were soon giggling at me as I laughed at them. We started to calm down when I notesed someone new. A pink pony with cotton candy hair of a darker pink was giggling away beside the yellow one. I blinked in confusion. When did she get in here and how did I not see her come in?

She looked up at me with a grin that filled her face. She had blue eyes that glittered fur on her back. Her smile never wavered as she walked up to me.

“Hi, My name is Pinky Pie and you have a silly sense of humor. What's your name?”

Her voice even had a smile to it, and it was infectious. I started to grin, fin to fin.

“The name's Starclaw.”

With thous words, I had a conversation. Not banter, not threats, not even snide remarks about being a monster. Even the shy one piped up on a few things. For the first time since I left home, I felt like someone wanted me to be there, and not as a body guard.

“So, when can I give you a 'Welcome to Ponyvill party?'” Pinky asked.

I stopped and stared at her. No one, and I mean NO ONE (not even my own cluchmates), has ever invited me to a party. I've crashed a few, but that was just to get at someone attending or hosting (namely to kill or get info out of them).

“I've never..... been invited to a party,” I stammered.

Even the shy one looked shocked at that.

“Oh I've gone to a few, but never with an invite,” I stammered. “Normally I just crashed them.”

“Then....” Pinky started to say as her eyes got even bigger. “THIS WILL BE THE BEST PARTY EVER!!!”

That last part nearly deffened me. That little pink one has some pipes on her. She jumped into the air pumping her hooves and dashed out of the room, leaving a trail of dust in her wake. I was shocked at the speed of that pony. I wonder what she would be like in a fight.

The shy one smiled gently at me.

“Umm... my name is Fluttershy, by the way,” she said in a soft and gentle voice.

I started to laugh, once again.