• Published 14th May 2014
  • 10,363 Views, 690 Comments

Keeping your Promises - RaylanKrios



Rainbow and Scootaloo learn that there is more to being sisters than bedtime stories and hugs.

  • ...
10
 690
 10,363

Family

Evening came and, true to her word, Rainbow Dash brought Scootaloo over to Sweet Apple Acres for dinner.

Family was not a word that the Apple clan threw around lightly. For an Apple, being family meant that you could always count on your fellow Apples for pretty much anything, full stop; it was a concept that the Apple clan instilled in their foals almost religiously. However, as strong as the familial bond was, the one thing that not everypony realized was that a pony did not need to have an apple on their flank to be considered family in the Apple house. When you sat down for dinner at the long rectangular table in the family room of the house on Sweet Apple Acres, you were family.

As Apple Bloom and Scootaloo chatted away about school and crusading, Rainbow Dash and Big Mac argued about Cloudsdale versus Appleloosa in this year’s hoofball playoffs, and Granny Smith alternated between both conversations. Applejack focused on keeping everypony’s glasses topped off and their plates full of salad and lasagna. In between bites of food and conversation, Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but notice the tangible sense of warmth in the room. There was no false politeness or, “Oh, I couldn’t possibly trouble you for another slice,” protest that pervaded most dinners Rainbow tried to avoid. Everyone around the table ate ‘til they were stuffed, all the while joking and playfully ribbing the rest of the assembled family. If asked, she would have to admit it was comforting, and something she wished she had more of.

“Okay Scoots, it’s getting late. We should get going,” Rainbow said, the remnants of apple pies strewn across the table.

“Aww, but Apple Bloom and I have more crusading to do,” Scootaloo protested.

“It’s a school night Scoots,” Rainbow said, still trying to refine her no-nonsense, do-what-I say-voice.

Clearly it needed more work because Scootaloo’s response was a well practiced, “Please Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah, please Applejack? We can help each other study,” Apple Bloom added, both fillies adopting the wide eyed hopeful look, familiar to parents everywhere.

Under the weight of such oppressive cuteness, Applejack had no choice but to cave. “Ah what the hay. I suppose there ain’t no harm in it.”

“You sure you don’t mind?” asked Rainbow, giving her friend one last opportunity to back out.

“Nah, those crusaders are here so much sometimes I forget they don’t live here.”

Scootaloo accompanied Rainbow to the door, while the rest of the family set about clearing the table and doing the dishes.

“You gonna be cool sleeping here Squirt?”

“I will, but what about my bedtime story?”

Rainbow chuckled. “Good point Scoots. Okay, ready?” Scootaloo nodded happily. “Once upon a time there was an awesome pegasus named Scootaloo, and she had an awesome big sister who told her an awesome bedtime story. And then they all lived happily ever after. The end.”

“Good story.”

Rainbow sat down, picked up Scoots and nuzzled her across the face, eliciting a series of high pitched giggles from the orange filly as she squirmed playfully. “You’re being mushy,” Scootaloo teased.

In response to such a grievous insult Rainbow unceremoniously released Scootaloo from her grip. “Who’s mushy now Scoots?” she asked with a smirk as Scootaloo hit the ground.

Scootaloo stuck her tongue out. “Still you.” She paused for a second as an odd weight hung in the air. Scootaloo quickly ran across the short distance between the two and wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow’s leg. “I love you,” she whispered briefly before letting go and masking her sudden vulnerability with the more familiar bravado Rainbow was used to seeing.

Rainbow adopted a similar posture and leaned down so she could whisper in Scootaloo’s ear.
“Your secret’s safe with me. I love you too.”

Scootaloo giggled again, her mask of bravado now firmly re-attached, and ran off to start her sleepover.

As Rainbow left Sweet Apple Acres she was bothered by a nagging sensation. This was only the second time since Scootaloo came to stay with Rainbow that the sisters wouldn’t be under the same roof for the evening, but when Rainbow internally examined that aspect of the situation, she realised that she was fine with it. Scootaloo was with her friend Apple Bloom, under the watchful eye of the most trustworthy pony she knew. Hay, if there was some weird event where Scootaloo was in actual danger, one of the largest stallions she knew was only a few doors away.

But despite knowing that Scootaloo was unquestionably safe and sound, Rainbow was still forced to acknowledge a feeling of discomfort at being separated. She flew aimlessly in the general direction of her house, focusing on the nagging voice in the back of her mind. Try as she might, she couldn’t get the doctor’s words out of her head. she didn’t know much about medicine and she wasn’t sure how she would go about learning enough to understand Scootaloo’s condition anyway. However, just like when she started trying to solve Scootaloo’s flying problem, she did know where to find an almost limitless supply of knowledge.

“Hey Twi,” Rainbow said as she flew in through the window of the library, making Twilight consider whether she should add a screen to this month’s expense report.

Though obviously annoyed at Rainbow’s continued refusal to use the door, Twilight appeared almost giddy at the interruption. “Hi Rainbow. It’s actually good you’re here. I’ve made some progress and I think I’m getting close to an answer.” Twilight looked at Rainbow with a barely suppressed grin. “It’s a levitation spell!” she said triumphantly.

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow asked, both perplexed and annoyed.

“Do you know how levitation spells work?” Rainbow shook her head. “When you levitate something, you don’t actually generate enough force to lift it. Well, I suppose you could, but it would be hard, and for some of the big things I don’t even think Celestia could manage enough output-”

“Twi’.”

“Oh right, sorry. Like I was saying, to levitate something you encapsulate it in a bubble that cuts it off from outside forces, including gravity, then you can push around with minimal effort. It still has mass, but without gravity or friction acting on it, less force is required to move it. It’s actually pretty neat; you should read up on magical theory. I have some great books-”

“Twi’!” Rainbow repeated a little louder.

“Sorry. Anyway, I can’t be absolutely certain, but I’m willing to bet that when pegasi fly they cast a levitation spell on themselves. Instead of casting it outward on an object, you all cast it inward on yourselves. Then once you’re in the air you use your wings to push you around because you just have to overcome your mass with relation to air resistance, not your weight. It’s not a perfect analogy but it makes sense.”

Rainbow wasn’t entirely sure what the difference between mass and weight was, but she didn’t feel like another lecture from Twilight. “And this is a good thing?”

Twilight was about to go into an explanation on friction coefficients as they related to gravity but stopped as she noticed the pained expression on Rainbow’s face. “Are you okay?”

Rainbow let out a sigh. “I’m fine. It’s just… Scootaloo had a doctor’s visit, and the doc said she has some kind of mass near her wings. I guess Unicorns sometimes get them and that it interferes with their magic?”

Twilight subconsciously shifted into egghead mode, her instincts to disseminate information outweighing her concerns about being perceived as sympathetic. “It’s called neurofibroma. This actually seems like it’d be good news; surgery is supposed to be effective in treating the symptoms.”

“What if surgery isn’t an option?” Rainbow asked quietly, fearing the answer.

Twilight considered the question, mentally reviewing her mental notes about unicorns, medicine and magic. “Well, in unicorns magic therapy is supposed to strengthen the neural pathways enough to overcome the interference caused by the neoplasms,” Twilight said, with what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

Rainbow wasn’t entirely sure what Twilight said, but it was impossible for her to look at Twilight and not feel like she had to be able to come up with a solution. She was a princess who was the Element of Magic, so why wouldn’t she be able to fix this? “Can you help her?” Rainbow asked, desperation creeping into her voice.

Twilight’s smile diminished as the harsh reality of the situation began to reassert itself. Pegai had been instinctively using magic for centuries; it was entirely likely that actively controlling their magic was controlled by a completely different set of neural pathways than the ones they normally used, and that was assuming that pegasi magic was subject to the same biological rules as that of unicorns. “Maybe,” she said somewhat hesitantly. “I still don’t know a lot about pegasi magic. If it works similarly to unicorn magic, it would mean that some pegasi are naturally more gifted than others. Scootaloo might not be talented enough to cast as strong a spell as she needs. And if she does have a pegasus form of neurofibroma, that will make it that much harder to strengthen her magic. Can I tell Luna about this? It might help her focus on her research.”

Rainbow just shrugged. “Sure, whatever,” she said quietly.

Twilight closed the book she had open and walked around to the front of her desk. “How’s she doing Rainbow?”

“She can’t fly, Twilight! She’d be doing a lot better if you could fix that!” Rainbow snapped.

Used to Rainbow’s temper, Twilight let the remark roll off her. “That’s not what I asked. How is she?”

Rainbow glared at Twilight, before realizing that the pony in front of her was a friend and not some random pony trying to challenge her. “She’s good, I guess. We had an incident a few days ago, but she seems better now. She’s staying with the Apples tonight.”

“So you would say she’s happy?” Twilight gently prodded.

“I don’t know, I’m not a mind reader Twi.”

Twilight took Rainbow’s non-answer as a yes. “And if she’s happy, do you think that maybe you have something to do with that?”

Rainbow’s glare returned. “No, don’t try to turn this around. I promised her that I would get her flying. I’m sick of hearing ‘you’re already doing her a world of good.’”

“But you are!”

“Not if she can’t fly I’m not!”

“You can’t fix everything, Rainbow! No one can!”

Temporarily relieved from the burdens of parenthood, the doubt and anguish Rainbow had been struggling to keep down finally erupted. Every moment of fear and doubt she had felt seemed to hit her all at once. She didn’t realize just how much she had been holding in until she found herself tearing up. Of course, Rainbow Dash didn’t cry about this kind of thing. Probably Twilight’s fault for keeping the library so dusty. Stupid Twilight. Rainbow Dash did not get overwhelmed; she crashed into problems head first and then kicked them ‘til they regretted getting in her way. So why, after all the metaphorical flank kicking she had done was this problem still here? “Then what’s the point, Twi! Huh? Why even bother?”

Despite being still unsure about some of the conventions of friendship, one thing Twilight was sure of was that when a friend was crying, you gave her a hug and told her everything was going to be okay, so that’s what she did.


Rainbow took a few deep breaths and rubbed her eyes. “Thanks, Twi,” she said, shrugging her friend off of her. “So look, if there’s nothing else I should probably be getting home.”

“Are you sure? You don’t have to. You could stay here, and we could watch a movie or something.”

“You don’t have to do the caring friend thing Twi,” Rainbow said, forcing a smile. “I got a little… flustered for a second there. I’m okay. I just need to get some sleep.”

“Okay Rainbow, but if you ever do want to talk, or just hang out, you’ll come find me, right?”

Rainbow smiled, this time a little more genuine as she composed herself. “Sure thing Twi. Hey, thanks again.”

Rainbow flew home, happy to be back among familiar surroundings. The house felt a little emptier than she would like it to, but at least she didn’t have to put up with well meaning friends. Not that she didn’t like her well meaning friends; it was just good to be alone sometimes, Scootaloo managing to be the only exception. She was so preoccupied with thinking about her conversation with Twilight that she almost didn’t notice a note from Dr. Feather’s office in her mailbox. I guess when you work for the Wonderbolts fast service is part of the job. She eagerly tore open the envelope:

Rainbow Dash
I’ll be at the Wonderbolts Training Facility this week. I’d like to talk to you about Scootaloo’s test results.
Dr. Raven Feather.

Author's Note:

Most authors love feedback.