• Published 14th May 2014
  • 10,353 Views, 690 Comments

Keeping your Promises - RaylanKrios



Rainbow and Scootaloo learn that there is more to being sisters than bedtime stories and hugs.

  • ...
10
 690
 10,353

Prove it

Rainbow Dash flew back up to her house to find Scootaloo still sleeping peacefully. Actually, peacefully wasn’t quite the word. Scootaloo was firmly unconscious, her legs splayed at odd angles and her tongue hanging out of her mouth. Rainbow checked to make sure she was still breathing; confirmation of which gave her the peace of mind to settle into the chair next to the couch and read Daring Do. Eventually, Scootaloo began to stir.

Upon waking up, Scootaloo let out a noise that was halfway between a groan and a yawn. “Ugh, my head feels all fuzzy,” she said, still blinking her eyes in an attempt to get readjusted to the light.

Rainbow looked up from her book to quickly examine her sister. She appeared stiff and unsteady on her hooves, but other than that she looked okay, and Rainbow let out a sigh of relief. “I’ll bet it does. You need to take it easy, Scoots. How ya’ feeling otherwise?”

Scootaloo twisted her neck and stretched her forelegs, then fluttered her wings a little bit, wincing as she did so. “I think I’m okay. It still hurts a bit.”

Rainbow winced empathetically. The sight of Scoots in even minor discomfort still bothered her. “Sorry ‘bout that Scoots. The doctors needed to do some medical stuff.”

“It’s okay. Umm, so do we know what’s wrong with me?” Scootaloo asked tentatively, her voice filled with uncertainty.

Rainbow looked Scootaloo straight in her wide purple eyes. “There’s nothing wrong with you. You’re awesome. But, ummm... the doc thinks that you can’t fly because of some kind of lump on your spine.”

“Oh,” Scootaloo said sadly. If Rainbow had told her that there was anything she could do: train harder, stop scootering, she would have done it without hesitation. But there was nothing she could do about a lump; she didn’t even know it was there before ten seconds ago.

Seeing Scootaloo standing there looking dejected hurt Rainbow again. It was a look she never wanted to see. “Hey, the doctor needs to run some tests and stuff and then she’ll let us know what we can do, okay? So chin up there, Scoots. We’re gonna beat this thing,” she said, offering what she felt may have been false hope. But if she had any other kind...

False hope or not, Scootaloo brightened up and Rainbow mirrored her smile. “Yeah. You think I’ll really be able to fly?”

“Sure do, Scoots, but we can’t do anything just yet, so how ‘bout you pick what you want for dinner?”

“Can we get pizza? With artichokes?” she asked excitedly, the previous malaise quickly vanishing.

Rainbow chuckled at the filly’s enthusiasm for pizza. “You bet, Scoots.”

The two pegasi ate dinner, watched some Trotting Dead, then went through their usual bedtime ritual. After tucking Scoots in, making sure she was all warm and snug in her bed, Rainbow found herself outside staring up at the night sky. Looking up at the stars, Rainbow remembered hearing stories of the sky spirits who watched over pegasi and gave them the ability to fly. She knew that it was just a legend told to little fillies, but there were still some pegasi who believed in the old tales. Figuring it couldn’t hurt to cover her bases, she began to speak. “Umm, I don’t know if you’re really up there, but if you are, maybe you could do Scoots a favor. If you really do watch over us, well... you know how awesome she is and if anypony actually deserves to fly, it’s her.” She waited and listened for some sign that her prayer was answered, or even just acknowledged, but all she heard was the gentle rustling of the breeze as it washed over her. “I know that in the olden days, I’d be expected to offer a sacrifice and what not. Well, I don’t have anything to sacrifice, but if you want to put it on my tab, I’m okay with that.” The sky still offered no response other than the twinkling of the stars. “Just think about it, alright?” Rainbow said to the empty sky, before turning around and going inside.

The next morning, Rainbow woke up and went downstairs to start fixing breakfast. A few minutes later she heard the muted sound of tiny hoofbeats and she held her breath, half-expecting Scoots to triumphantly announce that she could fly, but as the orange filly rounded into view she was still very much earthbound. She seemed relatively cheerful though, so there was that.

After a quick breakfast the two pegasi began their trip to school. On their way to the schoolhouse, Rainbow saw Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, presumably also on their way, and so she decided to drop Scootaloo off with her friends, trusting them to make it the rest of the way without incident. Shortly after Rainbow Dash flew off, however, the CMC had the misfortune of running into Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Scootaloo froze up and Sweetie Belle stayed with her friend, but before either of them could suggest taking the long way around Apple Bloom began sprinting toward the two fillies.

“Hey, Diamond!” Apple Bloom shouted as she ran over to where Diamond and Silver were talking, her friends reluctantly trailing her. “Ah owe you a reckonin’!”

Diamond Tiara looked up from her conversation, seemingly more annoyed than scared. “What is it with everypony and Loserloo?” she wondered out loud.

“Stop calling her that!” Apple Bloom snapped.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” Diamond snapped back.

“You are such a selfish brat. You think it’s okay to hit Scootaloo?! She’s-” Applebloom would have finished that sentences, but as she turned to look at her friend, she saw those wide purple eyes silently pleading with her not to finish that sentence. “-mah friend,” she finished somewhat quieter than when she started. “If ya mess with her ya mess with me,” she snarled.

Rather than be cowed at Apple Blooms decree, Diamond appeared angry. “She hit me first!”

As Scootaloo watched the argument unfold in front of her, she heard a familiar voice echo in her head. Good thing you’ve got Apple Bloom around to fight your battles for you, since you’re too weak to do it yourself.

Shut up, stupid voice. I’m not weak.

Yes, you are. Whenever you get scared, you go running for Rainbow Dash like a little foal, and now Apple Bloom has to stick up for you.

I don’t need Apple Bloom’s help to deal with Diamond.

Prove it!

Scootaloo walked a few steps forward and placed a hoof on Apple Bloom’s shoulder. “You wanna fight me, Diamond?” she asked softly.

Apple Bloom appeared stunned, and even Diamond Tiara was taken aback. “Three against two is hardly a fair fight. Even someone as stupid as you should know that,” she scoffed.

Scootaloo turned her back to Diamond and faced Apple Bloom. “I’ve got this, AB,” she whispered.

“Ya sure, Scoots? You don’t have to do this alone. Me and Sweetie are here for ya’.”

“I’m sure.”

Apple Bloom remembered learning about the ancient ponies who lived in warring tribes. Among pegasi, it was common practice for a leader to go around and look his or her soldiers in the eye before a great battle, to see if they truly had “the warrior’s spirit” with them on that day. When she heard of this tradition, Apple Bloom dismissed it as an overly poetic interpretation of an inherently barbaric culture, but looking at her friend she was forced to reconsider that notion.

Sure, the orange pegasi standing in front of her was clearly nervous, but Apple Bloom could tell that there was something else inside her friend, and that something needed to prove itself. Whether that was the ‘warrior’s spirit’, or not, didn’t seem to matter. She nodded wordlessly and extended her hoof in a show of solidarity. Scootaloo accepted her hoofbump with a smile and a brisk nod, one brave pony to another, and Apple Bloom backed away, leaving Scootaloo alone to face Diamond Tiara.

Apple Bloom’s gesture gave Scootaloo a much needed jolt of confidence and she turned to confront her nemesis, standing a little taller than she was previously, her tiny wings puffed out. “There, now it’s just me.” Diamond Tiara scoffed again, only this time there was a decided note of insecurity in it. “I don’t want to spend the rest of the year looking over my shoulder. I shouldn’t have hit you. Not because you weren’t being a major plot head, but because hitting ponies is wrong.”

“Hmph, so you admit you started it.”

“And now I’m ending it. You can either fight me, and if you win I’ll leave you alone, or we can call a truce, but I’m through being scared of you. You don’t even make the top ten of scary stuff I’ve had to deal with,” which was both true and as close as she was willing to come to confiding in the pony standing across from her.

“You’re still a blank flanked chicken,” Diamond shot back, with a small note of relief coloring her tone.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “You’re still a plot head.”

Diamond hesitated for a moment and then shrugged. “Fine, truce. Daddy always says that fighting’s for ponies who aren’t smart enough to figure another way out anyway. C’mon, Silvy. I don’t want to catch their blankness.”

“Wait, I want to talk to Silver,” said Scootaloo, before both ponies could walk away.

Diamond looked skeptical but Silver just shrugged nonchalantly. “Whatever. I’ll meet up with you in a sec. Okay, Di?”

Diamond Tiara trotted off leaving Silver and Scootaloo alone, while Apple Bloom and Sweetie watched from a distance, keeping their pledge not to interfere. “AB and Sweetie told me that you helped pay for my scooter. I wanted to say thank you,” Scootaloo said, still dealing with a mixture of pride and relief that was strangely overwhelming.

“Well, Diamond shouldn’t have broken your old one.”

“Y’know, you don’t have to hang out with her. I’ll bet if you apologize to AB and Sweetie they’d let you hang out with us,” Scootaloo offered.

Silver shook her head, not exactly dismissively, but still deliberately. “Di was wrong, and she can get carried away sometimes, but you and your friends did ruin her cutecienera. She’s still my best friend; I’m not going to abandon her because she made one mistake.”

“But she’s so mean to everypony. You at least can be nice when you want to be.”

“She’s not mean to me. Look, I’m glad you like your new scooter, but this doesn’t make us friends.”

“Fine.”

As Silver Spoon hurried away to rejoin Diamond Tiara, the other members of the CMC ran over to Scootaloo. “That was awesome, Scoots,” cheered Apple Bloom as she crashed into the orange pegasus, half tackling her with a jolt of force from an impromptu hug.

“Is Diamond going to be nice from now on?” asked Sweetie, piling on.

Scootaloo blew on her hoof, in the manner of somepony showboating, before breaking out into a giggle. “Probably not, but I don’t think I have to worry about her anymore. Now, c’mon, I’ll race ya’ to school!” she said before taking off, leaving her friends behind her with shouts of “Hey, not fair!”

The rest of the school day passed without incident. Diamond Tiara didn’t even bully anyone at lunch, opting to eat quietly with Silver Spoon, by the swing set instead of in her usual place under the big tree near the middle of the yard.

Author's Note:

For anyone who is about to criticize me for Silver Spoons reaction, one I didn't want this to be a redemption of Silver Spoon fic. It seems like in a lot of Stories, Silver does something nice, the CMC make an offer to be friends and then Silver responds "Oh great, I didn't really want to be friends with Diamond anyway." That doesn't really sit well with me mainly because in the show Silver seems to be a ready and willing participant in Diamond's brand of bullying. I agree that she seems more stooge than instigator, but properly writing about her falling out with DT would require a whole fic, and this one has enough going on. So for now Silver stays as DT's friend.

Here's a fic I edited, that I ended up liking and think some of y'all might like it too. Also it's a one shot that's only about 2,200 words, so it's a short read.

Luna's First Winter Back Home

And as far as editors go, mine are way better than I am so go give them a follow or something.