• Published 13th May 2014
  • 686 Views, 14 Comments

Aurora Song - MasterZadok



The Elements of Harmony have been returned to the tree from whence they came, but in their absence, what is left to stand between Ponyville and the heartless crew of pegasi airship pirates? Intent of stealing and destroying, the pirates close in.

  • ...
1
 14
 686

Chapter 1

Only one thin pane of glass away, the air was writhing with lighting. Only a transparent veil prevented the howling winds from reaching into this sanctuary. Only the hide of the mighty airship stood between the captain and the storm outside.

The pegasus breathed quietly as if he might disturb the sacred air around him. On every side of where he stood, through every glass wall of the observation deck, dark thunderclouds ran by on their endless circuit through the sky. But here, in the heart of the ship, was quiet. The eye of the storm.

The stillness was abruptly broken as a dark wooden door behind the captain was knocked open.

“Good evening, Captain Meyer.” A lean pegasi and his clear voice invaded the room.

Captain Meyer looked up toward the newcomer with his one good eye. Even in the dim light, punctuated by the lightning, his first mate, Black Spot, was an impressive pegasi specimen. With his dark blue hide and coal grey mane, Black Spot was an airship veteran with a long muzzle and a short temper. However, the captain couldn't help but notice,

“You look weary.” He smiled at the bags under the first mate’s eyes.

“Lack of decent food will do that to you.” Black Spot said curtly. “And I won’t comment on how you’re looking. You haven’t slept since we first started riding this ocean storm.” The captain looked like a well-worn flag; proud and full of history, but even his noble posture and well-groomed brass hide couldn't hide the fatigue in his eye.

“Yes, well, someone has to keep an eye on things.” Captain Meyer’s voice sounded dry.”Even if I only have one to spare.” He lifted an orange hoof and pointed to the table he had been leaning over. “And we’re almost to our destination.”

Black Spot strode over to join his captain by the table in the center of the room, his hooves tapping on the glass floor. Whoever designed the observation deck must have thought themselves pretty artistic to allow the viewer to see all of Equestria under their hooves. However, only an abyss of storms whirled beneath the two pegasi for now.

“And what, exactly, is our destination?” Black Spot peered at a navigation map.

“That’s why I summoned you.” The captain explained. “This storm has given us an excellent tailwind, it has brought us down the western coast and now it’s time for us to return east into this region.”

“Right up the Unicorn Range.”

“Indeed.”

“But where do you have in mind?” The first mate was growing impatient.

“The way I see it, we have two possibilities; we can swoop down upon Ponyville or we can bypass them altogether and continue into Appleloosa.”

“It seems like a no-win scenario to me, Captain.” Black Spot looked up with a huff. “Appleloosa is nothing but a spot where someone sneezed on a map. They don’t have anything of value, let alone copious amounts of farmland to take advantage of!”

“And Ponyville?”

“Ah, yes! Ponyville... I've always wanted to visit a famous tourist attraction. I hear it’s quite the pilgrimage nowadays, what with their recent claim to fame. Tell me, do the terms “Wielders” and “of” and “the Elements of Harmony” not jog your memory, sir?”

“Just answer the question, Black.” The captain narrowed his eye and the first mate could feel its weight like a physical presence. Grinding his teeth, he sighed,

“Even such legends as Nightmare Moon and Discord, once considered to be the stuff of fables, were turned back before the six Wielders. Those villains of old, thought to be unmatched by even Celestia were quenched when they dared to touch little Ponyville. To go there would be to invite a thousand-year-curse to the face.” Strangely, Captain Meyer smiled at this.

“I understand your concern, Black. And what if I told you that the elements no longer exist in Ponyville?” There was a heartbeat of silence while the weight of these words sunk into the first mate’s ears.

“The Wielders left!?” Black Spot thought the captain was playing him for a fool.

“Not exactly… I have it on good authority that the Elements were surrendered to undo an ancient poison in the land. A group of gypsy griffons were caught in the cataclysm and reported the whole fiasco when they moved north. Though the Wielders still live there, Ponyville is once again nothing more than a helpless town full of complacent denizens.” Even as he spoke, the captain’s wings ruffled in excitement; one with the silky whisper of feathers, the other with a metallic click.

“This… seems too good to be true.” Suddenly, a thought hit the first mate, “Shall we try to steal the Elements for ourselves?”

“Fie! Do you not think that every other pickpocket and petty thief in Equestria hasn't thought the same thing?” Captain Meyer snapped. “Those terrible and ancient artifacts... Dormant for a thousand years! Now wielded by only a chosen six! Now returned from whence they came… Nay, we will leave the Elements alone….”

“But it’s worth a knock.” Black Spot’s eyes glimmered greedily.

“Indeed… Ponyville is still a fertile land surrounded by rich mountains and fueled by every road going through Canterlot. This surely merits investigation. Like you said, we need to restock our rations and our options are waning few.”

“I’ll inform the rest of the crew, sir.” With the clicking of a few retreating hooffalls, the first mate left the way he came. Captain Meyer was left in the quiet eye of the storm once again.

“So,” He whispered, “Set course for Ponyville…”

Soon, the airship’s engines roared to life like the swelling of the tide. Her glimmering metallic hide shed waves of rainwater like curtains. She lifted her prow like a dragon aroused from slumber and she soared through the storm around her, cutting black clouds like spider webs.

She was the last of the pegasi’s greatest technological victories. The sole survivor of three aurora-class sister airships. Her name was emblazoned proudly on her hull,

Aurora Song.

Author's Note:

I don't know if this is necessary to say, but I am not the owner of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise nor do I have any official affiliation. I am only a fan creating work for the sake of the art. I am not being paid nor do I expect payment.
I only want to get better at my skill and perhaps create something that other people that share my fandom will like.

With that being said, Reader, please feel free to express your comments and your critiques. I hope you enjoy the story and I would love to discuss future story topics with you.