• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 1,483 Views, 55 Comments

Diamonds are a girl's worst enemy - Rarity Belle



Follow Rarity when she embarks on an adventure that takes her deep down into the mines below Canterlot in the hunt for gem of times long gone by. The only problem is that she ends up with a lot more then she had originally bargained for.

  • ...
4
 55
 1,483

Act 2 chapter 4

Rarity felt that the question was needed to be asked. The feelings continued to crawl up against her. Those very same feelings were everything but comfortable for her body. The unicorn had started to shift a little bit upon her seating. With a deep sigh she finally managed to actually ask the question that had been lingering in her mind since she had read through the book itself.

“Twilight, the bookmarked area, what can you make out of it?” the unicorn then asked with a blunt tone. She began to prepare herself for the answer that would be coming. Whichever answer would be coming, was perhaps a better phrasing for the moment.

Both fear and calm placed themselves deep inside of her mind. She had no clue as to what Twilight would say. The neutral look upon her face never gave away anything. Which meant that it could still be going in literally any direction. For Rarity did the time seemed to have been hours since the asking of the question whereas for Twilight herself it were mere seconds.

When the mouth did finally open to speak up the answer, Twilight’s entire face remodeled itself into a more serious one. Yet also one where the concern was readable of. “That spell, Rarity, is one of the only spells I highly suggest of that you don’t speak up. Not even I can decipher what it really does. The dress you see is a disguise for what it really is, or carries. I simply do not know what, how, why or when. My knowledge is simply too limited to understand what it says,” she answered.

Those were the exact words that the unicorn didn't wanted to hear out of the mouth of her friend as it meant it was dangerous. If even Twilight didn't knew about it, there was perhaps only one force in the land who could. And going to them was about the last thing she wanted to be doing. “That is quite the interesting feature indeed. I shall keep myself to that promise,” Rarity eventually replied with a nod.

Though it wasn't enough for Twilight though. She had to be absolutely certain that Rarity would never be able to speak the tomes inside of her head. Therefore thus learning the mysterious spell. It had danger written all over it and one mistake could change fate forever. “I don’t need your promise of it, Rarity, I need your word and you know it. If this thing is as dangerous as I think it is, I don’t need any other hooves on it. I don’t want the thing in my house as it is where some groups might expect it to be,” the mare said with a serious glare.

“Twilight, since when did you became so… paranoid, I almost dare to say,” asked Rarity to her in return. She rose an eyebrow towards her friend and couldn't really believe the things as they were going on. Yet perhaps it was for the better that she kept dumb for the time being. For even mares like Twilight, who are close to being insane, could change through the gears of time.

“It has been there all my life already really,” replied Twilight before she curled up one side of her lips to form a smirk. “Anything else you would like to talk about before Sweetie Belle comes rushing back down?”

---

It took the unicorn a couple of seconds before she finally came up with another subject. One that had also been lingering inside of her mind since the discovery of it. “What do you know about the crystalline giants, if I may ask?” the gem-huntress then dared to ask. It was a question that caught Twilight by surprise as she gasped a couple times for air.

“N-Not as much as I would love to know about them. Rumor has it they can only be found deep inside the caverns of the Frozen North. Bodies made out of pure crystal and being five times bigger than a normal pony,” was the answer that Twilight gave her.

“What if I told you, I have seen seven of them?” Tthen the eyes of Twilight went just wide. She couldn't have believed it ever that Rarity had seen such mythical creatures on her trip. “In the Canterlot mines they took a rest, not even the princesses knew they were there.”

“Well, it, it is to be expected really, their radiation of magic isn't something that is particularly high as they are just walking hunks of compressed rock,” commented Twilight before the sheer bafflement could be found again in her eyes. She just couldn't believe it that Rarity had the privilege to see such a terrifying and majestic beings in the flesh.

“Trust me, you don’t want to meet them the way we did. But they are quite the amazing feature of magical beings yes. Though what they are doing here, any ideas?”

“Oh Rarity, those things can be as old as the day the monarch of Equestria was first formed. I truly do not have a single idea as of how such beasts could have come into the Canterlot mines. My best guess is during the time of the Windigo’s reign they moved to there. Outside of that, there is nothing,” said Twilight while the gears in her head spun.

All of the sudden there came a rather stupid idea in the mind of Rarity. An idea so stupid that it possibly could have worked. “What if you ask the royals to manage to capture one and shrink it down, to a size that it can be kept as a pet?”

In response shook Twilight almost immediately her head and released a sigh. “That won’t work I’m afraid, they are used to being bigger than us. Becoming suddenly a lot smaller would only do more harm than good,” answered the librarian. Then her lips cracked up into a smile again. For the sounds above their heads returned once more.

Sweetie Belle was coming and she was more than ready to go back home with her sister. “Looks like your sister is ready,” the mare said before she released a small giggle of her own.

“From the sounds of it, she indeed happens to be, yes,” replied Rarity. She got out of her chair with some effort. The mare stretched all of her legs and allowed her neck to crack a bit.

The two mares walked up to one another and wrapped their forelegs around the other to form a tight hug. “It goes you well, Twilight, may we see each other soon enough again,” said Rarity to her friend. She gave a small and friendly kiss upon the mare’s cheek.

A cheek that turned red from a blush as an embarrassed giggle made its way out of her mouth. “I hope we can do that soon enough yes. But you know time can be, right?” she replied before the hug was broken and Sweetie came storming into the living room. She was more than ready to go back home.

“You coming Sweetie? And don’t forget to thank aunt Twilight.”