• Published 12th May 2014
  • 2,011 Views, 55 Comments

Cupid Chrysalis - Nightmare Darkness



Chrysalis is between a rock and a hard place, on one hoof she has equestria that could keep her subjects alive and bountifule for years but cannot conquor it. On the other she has a race of changelings to feed so how do you feed your children?

  • ...
5
 55
 2,011

Perceptions

The guards bowed to Shining and Cadence as they walked in through the doors. The lobby that greeted them had stairs going up both sides as two halls lead off right and left. Boren began to salivate as he looked at all of the crystal. Spike smiled at him and chuckled placing a claw on his shoulder.

“I'm kind of a hero round here ever since I defeated Sombra.” Spike said confidently.

“What does that have to do with me being hungry.” Boren said with a hint of annoyance.

“I get all the gems I want, interested?” Spike said with a sly smile. Boren looked up at Highness and knew it wasn't his place to ask but any other time he wouldn't get away with asking.

“Highness, do you mind if I go with spike for a bit?” he asked. Highness looked down at him and felt a twinge of annoyance for his use of the situation to get what he wanted.

“Of course but please come back here after, I will need you.” she said with a hint of emphasis. Spike looked at Twilight and she simply nodded and the two dragons took off out of the doors they entered in.

“Spike will look after Boren. No need to worry.” Twilight said full of confidence. Highness had no worries that Boren wouldn't do anything to expose her, but still she didn't last as long as she has by completely trusting anyone.

“We will go see the prisoner.” Shining armor said as he lead the mane 6 and Highness down the left hallway and through an archway that lead down a spiraling staircase. The walls were lit with magical torches that gave off an eerie blue glow. The cells were all but empty, two guards ponies were standing in front of a barred cell that housed the changeling prisoner.

“We didn't know if there were more, so we did some interrogation. But came up with nothing.” The left guard said. Applejack looked over at the cell and frowned.

“Where is it then?” she asked as the ponies all looked. To the untrained eye it would look like there is nothing in the cell but Highness saw immediately. Then the guards pony horn glowed and the cell bars glowed and a small rock burst into flame and exposed the changeling laying on the floor battered with her left eye swollen almost shut.

“Tries to hide, but it cant escape.” he said. The room became dark as the lights dimmed and everypony looked around unsure as to what was going on. Twilight looked around and saw Highness Heartstrings eyes wide and her horn glowing as her eyes began to give off purple wisps of energy she had only seen twice before, one with princess Celestia demonstrating dark magic, and king Sombra.

“H-highness?” Twilight said stepping back. Highness eyes locked onto hers and Twilight's ears flattened. The Guards ponies quickly put themselves between Princess Cadence and Highness Heartstrings. A small voice in her mind burst forth with reason though she was anything but logically thinking. ‘You have to see to it, every changeling is safe. Don't lose your cool here, you've come so far.’ Highness took in a deep breath and looked forward.

“Please tell me.” she said sharply before looking at Cadence as her eyes began to return to normal.

“How did you feel when you were held captive by Queen Chrysalis? I’m guessing you felt afraid, alone, and helpless.” she said now walking to the bar door.

“Can you put yourselves in this creature's position and see what you have done is nothing short of cruel.” Highness said in a tone that spoke levels of varying emotion.

“You are talking as if it's just another pony, but it is a changeling. We don't know if there is another invasion being planned we can't risk it.” Shining Armor said stepping forward.

“We must put the good of the ponies we serve above our feelings.” Cadence said finding her voice.

“What was that all about anyway? Your eyes had purply stuff, you looked like you were going to go evil there for a minute.” Rainbow said as she hovered above the group. Highness took in a breath and looked at all of them. Chrysalis thought a moment and made sure to choose her words wisely saying the changeling was a ‘she’ could raise suspicion that she knew more about changelings then she let on.

“I have studied changelings as you know. I know that the changeling you have in your ‘care’ is nothing but a teenager, just out of fillyhood. Now tell me if you saw Scootaloo like this Rainbow, what would you feel?” She said and looked to Applejack, then the others in the room.

“Applebloom, Spike, Angel, Sweetiebelle, Gummie, Shining Armor…..or even.” She finished by looking at Shining Armor.

“Princess Cadence.” she said with a final jab. They all were quiet a moment.

“What is this Changling to you, what is your relationship?” The guards pony asked, ‘this pony was to sharp for his own good’ she thought.

“I am a pony who specializes in putting themselves in another's hooves so to speak. So I change my perception of the world around me based on the subject.” She finished. The room was quiet a moment.

“I think i’d kick the buck out of anypony who had done this to Applebloom.” Applejack said finally. The rest of the girls seemed to share the same train of thought when Cadence finally spoke up.

“I can understand the thought but that thing in there is not a pony we know or care about. Queen Chrysalis would never let one of our kind out why should I try and put myself in the hooves of this creature.” she said slightly heated.

“Then ask yourself. Are you Queen Chrysalis?” she asked simply. Cadence blinked and her eyes shifted looking for an answer before, Highness stepped towards her and looked at her. Cadence eye locked onto hers.

“You are not Queen Chrysalis. You are Princess Mi Amore Cadenza of the crystal kingdom a benevolent ruler who shows kindness to all.” Highness said with a soft smile that made her own insides turn. Cadence’s eyes watered as she began to sob lightly as she turned into Shining armor and used his shoulder.

“Be that as it is we can't just release the changeling.” Shining Armor said looking only slightly less willing.

“Put her into my care. I have need for research when it comes to changelings so it could serve me well besides has it broken any laws?” she asked

“No as far as we know it's not broken any laws. But if it's in your care we will put a tracking crystal on it.” He said with a cautious tone. Highness knew it was the best she could do with the current situation she was in.

“I wouldn't have it any other way. How else am I supposed to tell it from other ponies.” she said with some understanding. Shining looked at the Guard pony and nodded. The guard retrieved a collar and opened the door, advancing on the changeling lifting her head and placing the collar on her neck. She moaned slightly as he put her head down again. Highness Heartstrings walked in and her magic enveloped the changeling and lowered her onto her back. Highness walked out of the cell and the mane 6 began to leave the dungeon. Highness looked at Cadence who had recovered and was discussing something with Shining when she looked at Highness.

“I would understand if you don't wish for me to help you with your situation.” Highness said trying to weasel herself out of being a marriage counselor for Cadence and Shining Armor, Cadence shook her head and smiled.

“No if anything this shows that you're the kind of pony we need to see ourselves through our...situation. Can you fit in a session maybe tomorrow?” she asked and Shining Armor looked uncomfortable. She looked at both of them and focused on Cadence again.

“Ill see what I can do I should be….free. Ill leave this one with Bolt, my confidant.” she said before she walked up the stairs bent on leaving the castle as soon as possible.

“Where are you staying?” Cadence asked as she trotted up to catch her.

“I think I'll stay in a hotel.” Highness said without a thought.

“No you're a guest you have to stay in the castle. I'll have a room made for you and your cohorts.” she said immediately and before Highness Heartstrings could interject the guards were off to get the staff to have everything prepped.

“Bolt has a fear of spires so he won't stay in the castle.” She said quickly and Cadence waved her hoof.

“No need to worry I'll pay for a place for him to stay. You are our guest and Twilight's friend.” She insisted. As they reached the main hall she was steered to an open room with a patio and her bags were already . The bed had large pillows. A door on the side lead to another room that had two beds, she guessed for Boren and the changeling on her back. She walked into the room and lifted the covers and changeling up simultaneously, tucking her in. She also noticed the room had no exits. Trading one cell for another it would seem. Highness Heartstrings closed the door as Boren walked into the room to see Cadence was on the patio and Highness approached her from behind. A small voice inside her head said ‘push her off’ but she abstained from indulging her inner desires.

“I haven't say this to anyone but I'm tired. Running a kingdom is just...heavy.” she said struggling to put her feelings into words. Highness simply stood there beside her quietly listening. Cadence looked at her.

“Please come to dinner. It would be rude of us to simply house you and not feed you.” she said with a smile.

“I would love to but I have certain dietary needs so I must decline. But I will see you tomorrow.”

“It’s funny really I miss talking to someone about my troubles, Shining Armor is always busy with looking after our borders and well Princess Celestia is even busier than I am. I don't know how she does it.” Cadence confided.

“There are times in this life of ours that are trying, but i'll give you some advice my mother once told me. ‘Love, tolerance, and...coping... these are three tenets I was told make a good leader. Love those close to you, Tolerate those you must work with for the betterment of your subjects, cope with what you cannot fix.” Highness explained, but that was only a half truth what her mother had actually said was ‘Love those close to you, Tolerate some, Destroy those who defy you.’ it was effective.

"That is sound advice. I'll see you tomorrow.” she said walking from the balcony and leaving, Boren opened the door and stepped aside for the Princess. He closed the door then turned to her still having gem dust on his face and claws.

“So...how are you feeling crashing at your ex’s?” he asked. Her eyes narrowed and his eyes widened.

“Oh no…” was all he said before her magic picked him up and began to slam him into the ground repeatedly. After a minute of that Boren stood up his eyes spinning before he shook his head.

“I hate to ask this now… But what do you plan on doing to fixing your mortal enemies marriage?” He wondered. Highness Heartstrings slumped onto the floor and a pillow shot from the bed into her hooves and she pressed her muzzle into the pillow and screamed.