• Published 12th May 2014
  • 34,968 Views, 6,687 Comments

Mente Materia - Arad



Twilight’s trip to Earth and friendship with the humans brings new friends and enemies to her peaceful world. With the specter of war hanging over them, Equestria will have to form an alliance like no other to fight the menace from the void.

  • ...
117
 6,687
 34,968

PreviousChapters Next
14 -- Reports (Bonus Chapter)

FILE #34370A
DATE: [REDACTED]
OFFICE OF THE EQUESTRIAN GUARD
OPERATION FORTITUDE POST MISSION REPORT
SECURITY LEVEL: V I O L E T
SUBJ: POST MISSION OPERATIONAL REPORT
CNCRN: VIABILITY OF GUARD OPS AGAINST SAPIENT THREATS X, H, X-COM, AND ORGANIZATION H-X

1. FOLLOWING OPERATIONAL ORDERS #0017 AND #0018, THE DUSK GUARD WAS DEPLOYED IN OPERATIONAL CAPACITY FROM DATE [REDACTED] TO [REDACTED] TO RENDER MILITARY AID TO SAPIENT SPECIES “HUMANS” — REFERRED TO HEREAFTER AS SPECIES H — IN DEFENSE OF MILITARY AGGRESSIONS FROM SAPIENT SPECIES COLLECTIVE X. PRIMARY OBJECTIVE AS ASSIGNED BY THE PRINCESSES: AID AND ASSIST SPECIES H IN DEFENSE OF THEIR HOMEWORLD FROM SPECIES COLLECTIVE X. SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: GATHER OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE RELEVANT TO SPECIES H AND X.

2. POST ACTION REPORT SUMMARY — STATUS: OPERATION CARRIED OUT SUCCESSFULLY. AID RENDERED. OPERATION INTELLIGENCE GATHERED. FOLLOWING: COMPOSITE OF POST MISSION DEBRIEFINGS AND TROOP SUMMARIES REGARDING OPERATIONAL ORDERS #0017 AND #0018. INFORMATION DIVIDED INTO HEADINGS AS APPROPRIATE.

SECTION 1 — DUSK GUARD OPERATIONAL CAPACITY

POST MISSION REPORT — Despite difficulties in adapting equipment to function in the less-used magic field of [REDACTED], our mission was a success. During deployment, we participated in a total of four joint operations with species H organization X-Com (see attached mission reports for further details), all of which were successful in repelling the X threat faced.

Overall, as Captain I feel that we performed as well as could be expected concerning the relative lack of intelligence we received going in and the differences between our tactics and equipment. Species H combat expertise is very much given to mid to long-range combat, and their forces—while well trained—have an entirely different military history than our own.

Additionally, while our own experimental gear was adequate for our period of deployment, additional modifications were required in order for us to remain combat effective (see attached report DETAILED EQUIPMENT ANALYSIS — Corporal Sky Bolt). Dusk Guard armor was proven marginally effective against X weaponry, but pending post-mission injuries, I recommend that our equipment budget be increased as requested in the attached equipment analysis in order to make the requested modifications as well as provide new equipment to replace combat-lost devices. As always, the corporal has ideas that should prove helpful and increase survivability in future engagements.

On a personal note, having faced our enemy, it is clear that in a direct engagement, traditional Guard divisions would be at a heavy disadvantage to the point of uselessness.

One additional note, RE: Sergeant Dawn Triage — After comparing human in-field medical equipment and training with [The Dusk Guard’s] own, I would recommend that we offer additional medical assistance from our own medical organizations and begin studying human physiology as quickly as possible. Lacking magic, their own medical devices, while quite sophisticated and impressive, have several shortcomings such as accessibility and ease of use concerns that lead to a higher than expected casualty rate. Of particular recommendation, and human request, is a counterpart to our own emergency medical spell crystals. Despite the difficulty and cost of producing such crystals, our allies appear to be quite eager to acquire them. I suggest, as an act of mutual benefit, that we offer to supply what we can in return for access to human medical technology that we can retrofit for our own use (see attached list). Surely such a mutually beneficial trade would be of great use to both of us and lead to a decrease in loss of life for both our species.

RECOMMENDATION: Future joint operations between us and the organization known as X-Com should be more properly planned out to bridge the gaps in tactical, strategic and technological differences. Royal and Night Guard equipment and training are inadequate for the task of live combat against species X. Dusk Guard equipment barely adequate — see Specialist Nova Beam’s report that our success was more through “skill, talent and a bit of luck” than a technological edge. Recommend a mass overhaul of all three divisions through use of emergency expenditure in order to develop and outfit all three divisions properly. If possible, a joint tactical program developed in concert with X-Com would likely do much to reduce both tactical differences and shortcomings as well as perceived tension between our own race and the organization.

SECTION 2 — SPECIES COLLECTIVE X SUMMARY

The species collective we came to designate X (based on the humans slang term “X-ray,” short for “extraterrestrial” — a word that means “of or from outside [REDACTED] or its atmosphere”) is by far one of the more unusual things I have seen in my lifetime. Utterly dissimilar from one another save from their unifying hatred for their opponents, they seem to have little disregard for each other or even their ultimate objectives. Despite clear signs of strategic level thinking displayed in their actions around [REDACTED], forces we faced in the field were surprisingly mixed in their combat capacity and tactics. Either their leadership is indifferent to their forces’ tactical failings, or there is a purposefully sharp level of disparity between the combat education of said leadership and that attained by combat troops.

Despite this, X remain highly dangerous due to their unique physiologies and technological advantage. Even the weakest of them is dangerous in the wrong location due to their powerful armaments and unique abilities. Observations on each sub-class of X are collected in supplemental file SPECIES COLLECTIVE X SUB-TYPES; I recommend a more complete dossier be assembled before any further Equestrian deployments are made.

ADDENDUM: Several of our own theories, notedly those of Sergeant Triage, are at odds with those of the humans, which combined with other behavior leads me to believe that there is either intelligence that X-Com is not sharing with us, or the humans are willfully ignorant of the truth. The two largest points of contention are that the X collective seems to be designed for sacrificial warfare (which humanity seems averse to admit) and that with the technological and combat advantage the X have shown, humanity should have been overrun months ago. See supplementary report INCONSISTENCIES WITHIN COLLECTIVE X — Sergeant Triage for further explanation.

SECTION 3 — SPECIES H SUMMARY

The task of categorizing and summarizing humanity is entirely too vast for me to give it justice here. It will have to suffice to declare that humanity is a myriad collection of cultures, subcultures, ideologies, which all at once can both conflict and get along peaceably with one another — though said peace can dissolve at any moment, at least judging from what we’ve seen and what little historical records we could access.

In my opinion, based on both the surreptitious observations made by Lieutenant Hunter and Specialist Sabra as well as the limited sets of information and history that X-Com has presented to us, I hold that X-Com has not been entirely truthful with us about humanity’s history. Indeed, much of what we were able to glean from both the sanitized historical accounts were were given and what we could overhear for ourselves seems to indicate that humanity has had a history as violent and turbulent as perhaps even the griffon clans before the rise of their empire. There are noticeable gaps in the accounts given to us, areas which our allies were reluctant to discuss or even allude to, and upon comparing those areas to the reports made by Princess Twilight upon her return of the knowledge they gave her, I find it most likely that humanity is attempting to conceal the actual extent of their own infighting in order to improve their appearance. Surprisingly enough, they seem to think that the tactic is working as well. Sergeant Triage thinks this might be some sort of human superiority complex at work.

In order to gain a more detailed understanding of their species, I would recommend the supplemental file assembled by Sergeant Triage titled BREAKDOWN OF HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY AND CULTURE, but as to my own opinions, mixed with those of the team, is that while on an individual basis many humans act as we do, as a culture and a society they are almost uniformly disharmonious. While nations of them exist all across [REDACTED], these nations appear to often be at odds with one another internally, prone to sudden outbreaks of civil change and unrest. Both Specialist Sabra and Sergeant Triage have theorized that this stems from a more short-term, self-interested outlook bereft of or choosing to ignore advice to the contrary.

Even with this, the outlook and temperament of humanity can vary widely from place to place. Some geographical areas — at least prior to the attacks and with what little we can understand about them — were fully-charged thunderclouds, ready to spark at the slightest perceived slight or provocation. Others, on the other hand, are held to be so uniformly polite that they’ve become a sort of legend among humans (NOTE: see file CANADA).

In my personal opinion, great care should be taken when interacting or negotiating with this species. From observations gathered in the field, it would appear that expressions of ideals that one would hold obvious and self-evident in Equestria can be held to a large number of differing interpretations when proposed to any number of humans. Each member of the team expressed a variation on the observation that a number of human ideals seem to fall into the interpretation of whatever is acting in the individual’s best interest (suggested causes included a psychological quirk of believing themselves to be the only sentient life-form in the universe, an incredibly conceited thought to us, and a culture based on personal importance above others). Extrapolation of this concept to its most disturbing conclusion may be what prompted a number of omissions regarding certain forms of governments and countries in the historical records given to Princess Twilight and ourselves. Suspicious omissions included such topics as “Communism,” “civil rights,” “tumbler,” “religion,” and “feminism,” (see file HUMAN WITHHELD INFORMATION AND THEORIES) which we could find evidence and allusions to, but a distinct lack of data and an unwillingness to engage in discussion from any X-Com officials.

At the same time, however, a remarkable number of good points concerning humanity’s capacity for care, maturity, and kindness were highlighted in the reports we were shown, in addition to a number of stories shared by X-Com officials. Of note: Individuals and organizations such as “Ghandi,” “Mother Teresa,” “Helping Hands,” “Bob Hope,” “Red Cross,” and “Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.” Humanity has a high capacity for nurturing and caring for others.

Ultimately, they are very similar to us: Capable of things both good and bad. With time, and appropriate and careful diplomatic conduct, we may be able to reach an equal balance and reasonable exchange of ideas, at least with the more calm and less hair-trigger nations. Of course, it remains to be seen exactly what the long term effects of humanity’s contact with species X will be.

RECOMMENDATION: Any diplomatic movements should be made perhaps only by the Princesses themselves, as they have the long term vision and experience that would smooth any disagreements or debates between our nations.

SECTION 4 — X-COM SUMMARY

X-Com falls under much the same warnings I offered regarding humanity in general, in addition to another number of extensive concerns. Despite assurances that X-Com’s forces, science, and soldiers are accounted to someone’s leadership, neither I nor any members of my team were able to ascertain who or what that leadership was. In fact, we were politely discouraged from speaking about it further when we endeavored to ask after the topic. X-Com is clearly a high-powered anomaly of research, design, and capacity among humanity, much like the Dusk Guard, but we were unable to determine exactly who for. Logic dictates that someone, somewhere is supplying them with weapons, funds, equipment, and personnel, but judging from what little we could gather, if any of Earth’s nations are behind it, they’re maintaining absolute secrecy about it, something that in light of our observations of human self-interest, seems questionable. On the surface X-Com seems truthful and straightforward, but all of us, most especially Specialist Nova Beam, whose opinion on the subject I trust, express concern that it might be a front, though for what cause past defeating species X none of us could say.

It is of note, however, that X-Com is certainly keeping secrets from us. Several areas of their base were off-limits, and there were several topics that, despite our attempts, very few individuals would discuss. See supplementary file X-COM SILENCE: TWILIGHT SPARKLE, VAHLEN, RESTRICTED SECTIONS AND TOPICS.

RECOMMENDATION:From a strategic standpoint, I would recommend finding a way to disable X-Com’s [REDACTED] or block against it if needed, in order to prevent them from simply coming to our planet whenever they wished. Their ability to place forces or equipment wherever they wish on our world could be a powerful weapon, and with enough of the devices, and invasion could be crippling. We must find a way to destabilize or otherwise defend against it.

SECTION 5 — ORGANIZATION H-X SUMMARY

The only known acknowledgement of this foe comes from a number of secondhoof accounts and rumors overheard by Lieutenant Hunter and Specialist Sabra. X-Com itself refused to address the topic (see SECTION 4).

As near as we can tell from what little we were able to gather, there may in fact be a second faction of humans acting as an opposite agent to X-Com, either in concert with species X or on their own. More disturbing, the rumors we gathered indicate that like species X, this group is also modifying themselves at a biological level in order to improve their combat focus. Sergeant Triage has dubbed this group “Organization H-X” in response to any lack of an official name or moniker.

Regardless of X-Com’s official stance, our team has overheard enough to believe that such a group exists in some fashion. Combined with Twilight’s report that at several points she was in danger of being hurt by a human and the general fear reaction to the response of X-Com, it is likely that they may face infiltration of some kind, with a predictable result similar to a changeling infiltration. Care should be taken when dealing with X-Com officials as a result.

ACTIVE COMBAT MISSIONS SUMMARY

OPERATION FORTITUDE: Rerouted in deployment to defend a civilian population from a terror attack. Human forces suffered significant casualties. Dusk Guard injuries minimal; cnsq Species X taken by surprise. Equipment expenditure minimal. See full report OPERATION FORTITUDE DEBRIEF for details.

OPERATION WINDLESS DREAM: Assisted in recovery of downed alien ship. No human casualties. Specialist Sabra and First Lieutenant Hunter both wounded by plasma fire but not disabled. Two suits of crystal armor damaged beyond repair. See full report OPERATION WINDLESS DREAM DEBRIEF for details.

OPERATION RAKSAW: Assisted in recovery of downed abduction aircraft. No casualties, human or otherwise. Equipment expenditure minimal. See full report OPERATION RAKSAW DEBRIEF for details. NOTE: The captured humans we recovered were as terrified of X-Com personal as they appeared to be of Species X. Sergeant Triage was forced to sedate them before they could harm themselves or us. X-Com would not provide a satisfactory answer to why such an event would happen. Possible species H-X encounter.

OPERATION SUNKEN WHALE: Assisted in defense of a human military port under attack by alien forces. One member of X-Com wounded. No Dusk Guard casualties. Four other human casualties suffered during operation (however, this number would have been higher without Sergeant Triage’s work). Some equipment damaged. See full report OPERATION SUNKEN WHALE DEBRIEF for details. NOTE: Once again, humans we were assisting reacted in a negative manner to X-Com forces, initially firing on them without explanation. X-Com claimed this was a “communications mishap” but the explanation and what we saw seemed to indicate otherwise. Possible species H-X encounter.

FINAL SUMMARY

OPERATIONAL ORDERS #0017 AND #0018, WITH ACCOMPANYING OBJECTIVES, EXECUTED IN FULL INSOFAR AS THIS COMMAND CAN ASCERTAIN. OBSERVATIONAL HIGHLIGHTS AS FOLLOWS:

—JOINT OPERATIONS BETWEEN X-COM AND EQUESTRIAN GUARD FORCES ARE FEASIBLE, BUT WILL REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT RETOOLING OF STRATEGIES, TACTICS, EQUIPMENT, AND LOGISTICS.

—X-COM, AS A CENTRAL, NON-PARTISAN ORGANIZATION, IS CURRENTLY OUR BEST OPTION FOR A NEUTRAL CONTACT WITH [REDACTED]. IT IS IN THIS OFFICER’S OPINION THAT X-COM SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN IMPLICIT TRUST UNTIL THEY ARE MORE FORTHCOMING WITH OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE AND HISTORY, HOWEVER.

—SPECIES H, THOUGH DIFFERENT FROM OUR OWN SPECIES IN SOME WAYS, IS MARKEDLY SIMILAR IN OTHERS. ONCE THEY ARE NO LONGER THREATENED, PEACEFUL NEGOTIATIONS WILL LIKELY BE POSSIBLE.

—SPECIES X IS FAR BEYOND OUR OWN TECHNOLOGICAL LEVEL IN ALL AREAS SAVE BIOLOGICAL APPLICATION AND EXERCISE OF MAGIC. RAPID TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IS THE MOST LIKELY OUTCOME OF SUSTAINED CONTACT.

—RECOMMEND THAT THE DIARCHY IMMEDIATELY BEGIN DRAFTING CONTINGENCY PLANS FOR AGGRESSIVE CONTACT WITH BOTH SPECIES X AND SPECIES H, WITH ATTENTION GIVEN TO SPECIES X FIRST.

—SPECIES X POSES A GLOBAL THREAT LEVEL WE LIKELY CANNOT FULLY COMPREHEND. IF SPECIES X TRULY IS PROLONGING THE CONFLICT ON [REDACTED] TO SUIT THEIR OWN DESIRES, THAN COMBAT PRAGMATISM DICTATES SEVERAL POSSIBILITIES:

++THEIR FORCES ARE OF SUFFICIENT NUMBER AS TO NOT RENDER SUCH LOSSES STRATEGICALLY SIGNIFICANT
++THEIR STRATEGIC AND TACTICAL CAPABILITIES ARE FAR BELOW PAR, POSSIBLY OWING TO ATTRITION BROUGHT ABOUT BY SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY AND FORCE
++THEIR OPERATIONAL OBJECTIVES ARE SUCH THAT A PROLONGED CONFLICT AND HEAVY LOSSES ARE NOT A CONCERN AND/OR PART OF AN OVERARCHING GOAL WE ARE NOT AWARE OF

IN LIGHT OF THIS REPORT, THE DUSK GUARD WILL BE EXECUTING A RAPID TURNAROUND RESPONSE UNLESS OTHERWISE ORDERED. ALL MATERIEL AND PERSONNEL WILL BE READY FOR DUTY IN 48 HOURS, 24 HOURS AFTER POST MISSION LEAVE IS CONCLUDED.

SIGNED: CAPTAIN STEEL SONG, DUSK GUARD

Steel let out a long, heavy breath as he sat back in his seat, the maddening clacking of the typewriter keys that had filled the room for the last hour finally falling silent. He brought one hoof up and rubbed at the side of his forehead, where he could feel a faint, throbbing pulse starting somewhere around the base of his ears.

It’s late, he thought as he looked up at the clock over the door. I need some sleep. His eyes drifted back down to the scattered reports filling his desk around the old typewriter.

Once this is done, Steel, he told himself before leaning forward and running his eyes over the final sheet of paper. Black, faintly damp ink stared back at him, oily and slick under the lights of the office. He tucked a hoof around the back of the page, lifting it gently by its top edge, and then blew on it, a long, steady breath that would help the ink dry.

Good enough. A quick adjustment to the old typewriter, and the paper came free with a small tug. There was a clear space where the wood of his desk showed through to his left, and he set the page down there, next to its compatriots.

Which left him with only one more thing to do. His hooves darted across the desktop, gathering up papers and reports that had spread wide across the desk over the duration of his work, shuffling them first back into their proper order, and then into their proper places. Individual reports that weren’t directly referenced in his summary took their place in their own folders and then went to edge of his desk, where he could deal with them later, while those that had been written as supplemental files went into another folder, already labeled with a number of warning restrictions concerning the contents.

It didn’t take long, but he still let out a relieved sigh as the last file took its proper place, leaving the surface of his desk clear once more.

At least until tomorrow morning, he thought, his ear twitching. If I’d known how much paperwork this job was going to entail when I’d taken it, I would have asked one of the Princesses for a pardon of some kind.

A faint squeak echoed through the office as he tugged the center drawer open. There was only one step left before he would need to present his report, and then—at last—he could get some sleep. Between the time shift involved in the late night departure from the X-Com base and the near twelve hours he’d spent over the course of a day since then getting everything situated at the barracks once more, he was ready to drop from his hooves and get some well deserved rest.

Almost. The back of the pen tickled his tongue as he took it carefully in his lips and lifted it from the center drawer.

Captain … Steel … Song, he wrote out, adding his signature below the typed name on the last sheet of paper. Dusk Guard.

“There,” he said, the pen dropping from his mouth and bouncing once before settling in the drawer. “Almost done.” He let out a satisfied sigh as he gathered the report up and slid it into a waiting folder. There was only one final step to go.

Seconds later, a loud thump echoed through the room as Steel brought the heavy wooden stamp down on the folder’s surface.

Done, he thought, nodding as he slid the folder across the desk to rest atop the supplemental folders that would be going with it. For a moment he stared at the small pile of paperwork.

I’ll never get over that, he thought as he stared at the collection of reports. A whole month’s worth of active combat duty, summed up in barely an inch of paper. Conflicts, observations, successes … even failures.

Someday, these’ll be in a historical archive somewhere, he thought as he eyed the pile. Declassified, free for the world to see. Will they see the work that went into them when they look at the pages? Will they see the sweat, the hardships, the tears? Will they feel our loss as they read a history textbook?

Or will they forget them? Forget the pain, the sacrifice, that went into each and every one of our triumphs? Will they even remember those? Or will they just be reduced to this? The paper folder seemed to stare up at him, its cover almost mocking. An empty collection of technical details and minutiae, distilled until all the sapient emotion is stripped away? Is this how our descendents will see it?

He looked up at the clock once more and let out a sigh as he saw the time. It’s not enough. The typewriter made a faint ratcheting sound as he wound a new piece of paper into place, but then he shook his head. No, too impersonal. He slid the desk drawer open once again, grabbed his pen.

The world was going to change now, that much was certain. Win or lose, things were going to be different. Maybe history would remember the right parts, maybe it wouldn’t. He probably wouldn’t be around to see it, either way.

But there was one thing he could do, something to preserve that sense of honor, nobility, and triumph in the face of terror.

To the family of Captain Cedric Sebastion Uther, he wrote, his pen making a faint scratching sound as it moved across the paper. I write this in the hope that I can give you some sense of closure, though I know from experience it cannot erase the pain of loss. Regretfully, I did not know the captain well, but I had the honor of serving alongside him in his final mission, and I’m writing this to let you know that whatever you understand of his death, know this: He died as best a soldier could, his only thought the protection of those in danger around him…

He paused for a moment, his eyes moving up to the clock. It was late. But it would be later still before he would be done.

There were five more letters to write before he could sleep.

Author's Note:

This chapter was written by Viking ZX, who has been gracious enough to allow the use of his characters in the past!

PreviousChapters Next