• Published 11th May 2014
  • 1,472 Views, 8 Comments

Motherly Intution - RachWrites



On a lovely mother's day, Twilight seems more than a little stressed...Velvet is going to get to the bottom of it.

  • ...
1
 8
 1,472

Motherly Intution

Motherly Intuition

Written by: Midnight Rose and ChaoticLightning

Twilight woke up out of her bed, where the sun’s rays reflected off of the windows in her bedroom. She tossed and turned under the covers when her ear started to twitch, today was a very special day where mares and stallions would give their mothers the treatment of a lifetime, to show their appreciation for what they do.


She got out of bed and headed towards her mom, Twilight Velvet. Her mother was sound asleep peacefully with her husband, while she sneaked quietly into her room.


‘’Mom, you know what today is?’’ She whispered into her ear softly. Her mother shifted over to her daughter and her sleep-crusted eyes opened slightly.


‘’I know what today is, Twilight. It’s Mother’s Day, you’ve been reminded me about it for months now….Those letters were very sweet though.’ Velvet said, trying to open her eyes while focusing on her daughter.


Twilight tried not to make too much of a fuss, but this Mother’s Day was special. She’d been away from her mom for so long, and she hadn’t really realized how much she missed her until a few days ago. Now she was at her parents’ house, and she couldn’t be happier.


“That’s why I want to do something special for you. Breakfast in bed, a trip to the spa, and researching our favorite constellations in the night sky.’’ Twilight said, smiling from ear to ear while her father was snoring.


Velvet laughed and finally got out of bed. Her daughter gave an excited little hop and lifted the very decorative food tray from her mother’s bureau . Velvet smirked as her daughter gave her a cheerful smile and basically pushed the tray in her face.


“Oh, thank you dear! This looks lovely...but maybe we should go eat this in the dining room, hm? Let your father sleep some more.” She said.


‘’You do have a good point, we should go before he wakes up.’’ Twilight said, walking out of the bedroom.


She and her mother had a very lovely breakfast. Twilight had prattled on and on about her duties as the Princess of Friendship, and she retold the tale of how she defeated the terrible Terik. She’d gotten a little teary at one point, and Velvet tilted her head and looked at her with concern in her eyes.


“What’s wrong, honey?” She asked. Twilight’s eyes were misty, and she shook her head trying not to cry too much in front of her mother.


“Oh nothing, there is something in my eye. Nothing to worry about.’’ Twilight wiped away the tears that were building up in her eyes. She didn’t want to cry in front of her mother, so that she wouldn’t feel bad for her.


‘’If there is anything wrong Twilight, you can always tell me no matter what.’’ Velvet puts her arm around Twilight, embracing her in a hug.


The two unicorns went to the local Ponyville spa, where Aloe and Lotus greeted them with their usual smiles.


Twilight smiled at them and their eyes boggled. “Ooh, Princess Twilight! Is this your mother?” Lotus asked.


Rolling her eyes just a little, Twilight smiled and nodded. “Yes she is..but-” The two spa patrons cut the surprised Princess and pulled the two mares towards the massage tables.


Twilight laughed at her mother’s surprised expression. “ I didnt realize you were so popular, honey.” She said with a smile.


Lotus and Aloe began their work. The two mares expertly washed away all of the stress Velvet had been holding up, ever since Twilight became a Princess, but Twilight’s stress just wasn’t leaving her. Aloe tsked and walked off, leaving a guilty feeling Twilight to her cot.


“Alright, Twilight. I know something’s wrong. You usually love massages.” Velvet said, noticing her daughter’s silence.


Twilight just shrugged. Something was indeed bothering her, something very distressing. She didn’t want to disturb her mother’s happy day by becoming depressing.


But Velvet was looking at her in such a calm, understanding way that Twilight’s eyes began to water up. Twilight sniffled and climbed down from the cot, her mother following.


The two left the spa some time later, Twilight insisting on paying for her mother’s treatment, Lotus was insisting on her not paying, since she was the Princess’s mother. She laughed along with her mother as they walked out.


“Well, I’ve never gotten a free spa treatment in Canterlot...perhaps I should move here and save some money, hm?” She asked.


Twilight smiled. “That’s a great idea, mom! You could live at my new….” She trailed off and her mother gave her a look.


It was a look that only a mother could give. One that said: I know you're hiding something...so spill.


Velvet looked at Twilight and raised a questionable eyebrow. “Twilight, is their something you are not telling me?’’ She looked at Twilight and watched as she came to a complete stop.


Twilight kept walking, but stopped when she couldn’t hear her mother’s footsteps. The pain in her chest had been growing all day, and her mother’s look of concern drove it over the edge.


“Well….you know when I told you about Terik?” She asked.


Velvet nodded and her frown deepened. Twilight shrunk back and her ears fell flat on her head.


“He….The library...it….got…..HE BURNT IT DOWN!” She yelled.


Velvet blinked in surprise as her fully grown daughter flung her arms around her. Twilight sobbed into her shoulder.


“All my books...scrapbooks….diaries from my past….the pictures of me and my friends….the books Celestia gave me...all...gone.” She hiccuped and her mother’s look softened.


“Twilight...dear...I’m so sorry. I know how much your books meant to you.” She mumbled.


The two of them stood there for a long while while Twilight sobbed. The sun was going down by the time Twilight finally stopped crying.


Her eyes were bright red when she finally looked up to her mother. Velvet choked back a sob. She hugged Twilight hard and sighed as she let go.


“Twilight, love, I know how much you loved those books...but they can be replaced. Maybe some of your baby photos cannot, but I’m sure I have some in the house somewhere; and the diaries? Twilight, you were so young, you're writing was hardly anything to get so distressed about.”


Twilight blinked and shook her head. “Wait...are you saying...did you READ MY DIARIES!?” She asked, practically screeching the latter.


The older mare shrank back and chuckled. “Well, you were really lonely back then, Twily. I was just worried about you, that’s all.” She replied, trying her best innocent look.


“That was the time when I wasn’t interested in making friends, until Princess Celestia sent me to live in Ponyville where I met the most amazing friends ever.’’ Twilight shot back.

Her mother smiled and Twilight scowled, why did her mother always get to her like this?


“Yes, but what I’m saying is that you could always go back and re-create all of of those memories, those pictures...they can be replaced. You can’t. If something had happened to you….I-I don’t think I’d ever be happy again.” Velvet replied.


Twilight blinked and sighed. She hugged her mother again, she knew she was being stupid. She had a huge, awesome, beautiful castle, one where her and her friends all lived now. She could always recreate memories there. They would probably even have better ones too.


“Oh mom, I’m so sorry… I was just so upset I had no idea how this must’ve been for you, and I don’t just mean the library.” She said, her mother gave her a confused look.


“Whatever do you mean, dear?” She asked.


Twilight smiled. “I mean, everything that I’ve went through since I first came to Ponyville.’’ Velvet sighed and nodded.



“Yes, it has been very difficult, but I am very proud of you honey. I mean, what mother can say that their daughter is a Princess, and is very close to the rulers of the land? You would make any mother proud.” She came close to Twilight again and nuzzled her.


Twilight smiled and nuzzled back. “Thanks mom...but I wish I could write to you more. I’m sorry I haven’t been...I’ve just been so busy.” She replied.


Velvet laughed. “Oh that’s alright dear. Princess Celestia actually used to send me all of the letters that she used to send to you when you were studying with them. Some of them were really quite funny, that Applejack is quite brave isn’t she?” She asked with a wink.


Twilight blinked in surprise, but then remembered what her mother was talking about. She laughed along with her as they walked towards Ponyville Castle, as Twilight had dubbed it.


The castle wasn’t as bright as it usually was, but the light of the upcoming sunset gave the whole thing a nice pink tone. Rarity had insisted on casting a spell on the castle, one that made it shine with the colors of the sky. Be it night, daytime, or dusk, the castle would glitter with the respective colors.


Twilight had to admit that it was a pretty good idea. She smiled at her mother’s awed expression and walked with her towards her throne.


Velvet was very impressed. Twilight laughed a little as her mother sat down on the giant chair, a gleeful expression on her face.


Twilight couldn’t help herself, her horn lit up, and with two tiny *pops*, a cape and a glittering tiara appeared on her mother.


“I look like a Princess!” She said, giggling like a schoolfilly.


Twilight smiled and laughed along with her mother. But the novelty soon wore off. Twilight had an idea, and she smiled at her mother. “Be right back mom, okay?” She asked.


Velvet smiled and nodded. “Sure, I’ll just look around some more if that’s okay?” Twilight nodded and her mother trotted off, still wearing the cape and tiara.


Twilight giggled and walked over to her friend Rarity’s room. Her five friends were now living with her now as well, but they could go any time they pleased; Twilight wasn’t keeping them prisoner or anything.


She knocked on Rarity’s door and the alabaster mare opened the door with her blue magic. When she saw Twilight she smiled. “Oh, Twilight! What a pleasant surprise! I was just getting ready for my mother’s visit. We’re going out for a lovely dinner in Canterlot, I want to thank you again for reserving the whole restaurant for me dear, that was very generous!” She said.


Twilight smiled. She had done that, but it had been for all of her friends and their mothers, Rarity had though for some reason, thought that the reservation was only for her and her mother...which was odd….but not too strange for Rarity.


“Rarity, I already told you...ah, nevermind. Hey, I was wondering if you could make my mom a nice dress for tonight?” She asked.


Rarity smiled brightly. “Of course, darling! What would she like? Something fancy I presume?” She asked.


Twilight nodded, but then stopped. She really had no idea what her mother would like...but thinking about her personality gave her idea.


“Well, she’s really smart, and she loves stars like me, so something simple, but pretty would probably do.” She replied.


Rarity gave her a blank look and she sighed. “Alright, Twilight...but please don’t freak out if she doesn’t like it. You didn’t give me much information, you know.” She replied.


Twilight smiled and waved as Rarity closed her door. She heard mumbling and snipping from the other side of the door as she walked away, Twilight laughed a little as she heard Rarity’s cry of annoyance, Velvet smiled as she walked near her.


“What do you wanna do now mom?” She asked.


[/hr]


The rest of the day was spent doing various activities. Twilight’s favourite by far was listening to stories told by Discord. His actions throughout the whole thing were very humorous. But now it was time for tea before dinner, and Twilight was very excited.


The two mares had many, many teas in their lives, but not so many together, and with such great company. The five friends and their mothers or grandmothers had all gathered together in the


Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie were all there with their respective mother figures, some of which Twilight had never seen before.


Fluttershy’s mother looked as beautiful as her daughter. Her coat was pink and her mane and tail flopped the same way Fluttershy’s did, only it was a bright violet color, Twilight had to squint, but she could have sworn that the gray streaks in her mane used to be pink.


Her name was Primrose. She had calm gray eyes and a kind smile for each of them.


“I am just so proud of my little shyfly! She’s become so much braver lately.” She told Rainbow Dash’s mom.


Thunder Lake was once a Wonderbolt. She had a bright navy-blue coat, and a darker rainbow colored mane. She was smiling at Primrose and nodding when it was appropriate.


She didn’t seem to be much of a socialite, but Rarity’s mother was, to her daughter’s mortification.


“Ah’m sure Rarity’s been brave too, haven’t you honey?” She asked.


Rarity smiled and meekly crouched into her chair. Applejack snickered at her expression, and Granny Smith gave her a stern look.


Twilight smiled. “Ahem...well...everypony, I hope you’ve all had a lovely time, but we’re gonna be late if we don’t get going soon.”


She laughed with the rest of her friends as they got up and walked out of the castle. It was now shining with a very dull purple light, Twilight smiled as Pinkie noticed it looked really pretty, and a lot like Twilight’s mother. This made Velvet smile so brightly and Twilight’s smile doubled it’s shine.


[/hr]


The evening’s destination was very fancy and very quiet. The only music that could be heard was a small quartet. The gray mare playing the cello so perfectly perplexed Twilight, but she didn’t want to make a scene. A waiter with, according to Pinkie, a funny hat, seated them briskly and very professionally.


Velvet was wearing the dress Twilight had commissioned for her. It was a stunning number, a black strapless with silver star details. Her mother had been so surprised and Twilight was quite happy, all of this was going so smoothly.


This dinner was going to be the best part of the entire day, Twilight was certain of it.


..and it was.


The End.

Comments ( 8 )

I've got to admit, we did a good job. :twilightsmile:

4374199 I think we did too!! :twilightsmile:

hmmm a little fast paced, but overall pretty good.
and it says incomplete, is there more?

you forgot to put this to complete and i liked it

cute story but I sort of agree with 'Twilight Best Pony'. It is a little fast paced but good.:pinkiesmile:

4377545 I had to get it out fast, and it was kinda dragging on....Meh, it's okay. I know it's not my best story ever. -.-'

“Well….you know when I told you about Terik?” She asked.

*Tirek

The only problem is the tag is wrong. It isn't comedy it should be slice-of-life. Other than that, very good story.

Login or register to comment