• Published 11th May 2014
  • 33,700 Views, 845 Comments

Mother - Foals Errand



One thousand years ago Princess Celestia was forced to banish her sister to the moon. What she didn't know was that Luna had been hiding something very important to her. Now Luna is home but is it to late for her to take the role she always want

  • ...
85
 845
 33,700

A Meeting In Canterlot

Twilight stared down at her hooves as she felt the train rumble down the tracks headed to Canterlot. The good news? She, Luna, and Spike were in their own cabin. The bad news was that her temporary illusion had just worn off. Twilight was about to open her mouth when she saw a single bead of sweat run down her mother’s cheek. Enough of this, Twilight. Don’t you dare start trying to use an illusion as a crutch. This is who you are, so you better get used to it.

Twilight squeezed her eyes tight and took a deep breath before opening them, hopefully in a new light. She looked up to see Luna gazing down at her. “Twilight? Are you alright?”

“Yes, I think I am now, Mother. I just had to have a bit of a firm talk with myself. After all, there are no trustworthy age spells.” Twilight shrugged. “I guess it just took a bit for me to, well… come to terms with all this.”

Luna nodded before pausing. “And, have you come to terms with everything that has happened?”

Twilight stared down at her small hoof, her eyebrows furrowed, and shook her head. “If I said I’d accepted any of this, I’d only be lying. I still feel like this is nothing but a nigh— a bad dream... that I’ll wake up and still be the mare I thought I was.” After a few moments, she slumped over.

“Luna— Mother, I’m trying. I truly am, but I can’t say I have at all come to terms with any of this. I think, had you come to me and I was still myself...” Twilight looked up to see Luna glancing away. She shook her head and laid her small hoof on Luna’s. “Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m happy you are my mother! I’m hopeful that we will have a wonderful relationship. I-I just wish…”

Luna gently lifted Twilight into her forelegs and held her close. “I know… Let’s just deal with this one day at a time, alright? Remember though, my darling, you aren’t just a foal. There is a third option to all of this, you only just need to discover it. But remember, I will be here with you every step of the way, and so will Spike, so you need not be afraid.”

Twilight nodded, pressing her cheek to Luna’s chest as she felt Spike’s clawed hand slowly run down her back. At that moment, she felt content and safe, as if nothing could harm her. That’s right. No matter what happens, Spike and Luna… my mother… They are both here for me.

“Last stop, Canterlot! End of the line!

Luna smiled. “Well, trains certainly are a marvel of engineering, aren’t they? Almost feels like we just sat down. Now…” She set Twilight back onto the seat and smiled, her horn glowing. “I just need to reapply the illusion.”

“W-wait, just a second. Are you sure this isn’t causing you any damage? I-I saw the sweat…” Twilight looked up into Luna’s eyes to see her smile twitch a bit.

“I will admit that it is a bit taxing, especially without having the moon to draw upon, but I promise it is not hurting me.” Luna bent her head down to look Twilight in the eyes. “Besides, do you not wish to appear as you did yesterday until we can announce what has happened?”

Twilight rubbed under her horn as she looked down at the floor of the car, her small wings twitching. “Of course I do, Lu— Mother, I want to always look like I did yesterday, but I can’t. That isn’t who I am anymore, and the sooner I deal with that, the sooner I can figure out what comes next. So... th-this is the last time I want to be disguised.”

Luna blinked, before raising Twilight’s chin to look at her. “Hearing you say that makes me so proud to be your mother. Rather than mope and rage at the universe for things we cannot change, you strive to move forward. Alright, Twilight, one last time.”

The door to the cabin opened and the conductor entered, bowing to them. “Your Highnesses, Lord Spike, we’ve arrived in Canterlot.”

Luna gave a simple nod as she waited for Twilight to hop down from the bench and head for the door, followed quickly by Spike. She then followed after. “Alright, shall I send a message to Tia to ask her to meet us for breakfast, or would you prefer we head directly to your foster home?” Luna paused as she saw Twilight wince. “Twilight?”

Twilight’s ears pinned back as she pondered exactly what to say. “Luna… I-I know you are my biological mother, and as I’ve said, I’m very happy to have the chance to be a family... but Twilight Velvet and Night Light… they raised me. For every foalhood memory I have, they are my Mom and Dad. C-can’t we just say that they are my other parents?”

Luna paused, her eyes closed in thought, before she finally sighed and smiled. “Two mothers. Yes, I think I can handle that... Alright, Twilight, I will not refer to them as your foster parents agai—” Luna ‘oomphed’ as Twilight slammed into her chest, hugging her as tightly as she could while standing on just her hind legs.

“Thank you, Mother. Thank you,” Twilight murmured, rubbing her cheek into Luna’s fur. She felt Luna’s foreleg wrap around her until she dropped back to the ground.

“Of course. So shall we head over now, then? Maybe we’ll arrive before they start eating breakfast and we can join them.” Luna smiled, turning to head toward the university. “It’s really not that surprising you are as brilliant as you are, my darling, seeing as you grew up so close to the university.”

Twilight hurried so as to walk alongside Luna. “It was the best, what with Mom being a professor and author, while Dad was a royal astronomer… er, but you already knew that, didn’t you?”

Luna cocked her head. “I was aware of Sir Night Light, but I admit that I do not know much of your other mother.”

“Well, you both are super important to me, so I would really like it if you tried to be friends.” Twilight smiled hopefully.

“Twilight, just because I haven’t had the chance to get to know Lady Velvet doesn’t mean I don’t want to.” Luna smiled. “Besides, she is my—how do you say: go to?—for all the adorable things you did.”

Twilight blushed but walked silently beside Luna, a smile on her muzzle.


Twilight Velvet blew her bangs out her eyes as she smiled over at where her daughter-in-law was assisting her with breakfast. A daughter-in-law who is a princess… My, I never thought this would happen when Shining was a colt. “I think you can flip them now, Cadance.”

Cadance grinned, her tongue poked out as as she carefully flipped the pancakes. “Yes! Didn’t even land on my horn this time!”

“D-does that happen often, Cadance?” Velvet asked, glancing over at the grinning Cadance, who shrugged as Shining Armor looked up from his coffee.

“The crystal pony chef we have decided to ban Empress Cadenza here from the kitchen after the sixth time it happened.” Shining Armor shook his head. “So Cadance has been smuggling pancake supplies into our quarters along with a camp stove. It took a while, but I think she’s got making pancakes under control. Now, soup on the other hoof...” Shining Armor ducked with a grin on his muzzle as his wife threw the spare apron at him.

Velvet sighed. “Such foals... Speaking of foals, have either of you seen Twilight? Night Light and I tried to get over to the palace to see her, but the ponies were fairly panicked, what with it both being day and night. And then after the Summer Sun Celebration, she went back to Ponyville.” Velvet smiled as she lifted the spare apron which had Twilight’s cutie mark on it. “Not that I’m not very proud of my little filly, but I must admit that it was far easier to keep track of her when she was still shutting herself away in her library.”

Shining Armor shook his head. “Afraid not, Mom. We had to leave pretty quickly after her coronation. Had to get back to the empire since they’re still getting used to everything. In fact, it was a bit difficult to convince them about why it was important to celebrate the Summer Sun, but they all still had such a great time. I’ve even heard talk of asking Twily and the Princesses to come to the Crystal Empire next year.”

“If they do come, Shining, just make sure not to call your sister ‘Princess Twily’ in front of the entire empire, hmm?” Velvet smiled as her son rolled his eyes. “I doubt she’d ever live such a thing down. You know how sensitive she can—”

Knock Knock Knock

“Huh, I wonder who could be knocking this early? Your father has the next few days off and the university is out of session until next week. Some pony from the palace, maybe?” Velvet looked over to Cadance, who frowned.

“No, we kept the fact that we were coming to visit you and Night Light top secret. I don’t even think Auntie Celestia knows Shining and I are here, so whoever it is at the door is unlikely to be looking for us.”

Knock Knock Knock

Velvet sighed, pulling off her apron. “I’m coming!” She cantered over to the door and pulled it open. “Good morning, how may I hel- oh, Princess Luna! How nice to see... Twilight!” Velvet beamed at seeing her filly standing beside Luna. “And Spike, my goodness, what a pleasant surprise! Come in, come in!” She stepped aside, allowing the three to walk in, before shutting the door behind them.

“Hi Mom. I, um... we need to talk to you and Dad. Is he home?” Twilight asked, after a moment of gazing around the living room of her old home.

“Oh yes, the night guild gave him the next few days off from work.” Velvet walked over to the staircase. “Night Light, Dear? Come on downstairs, we have guests! Twilight is here with Spike and Princess Luna...” Velvet trailed off before turning to observe Luna and Twilight. They seemed close; not in the manner of how Shining Armor and Cadance were close, but more like… Velvet felt herself subconsciously swallow as she closed her eyes.

“M-mom?” Twilight’s eyes widened as Velvet seemed to age in front of her. “Mom, are you alright? What’s wrong?” Twilight desperately wanted to go to her, but fought the urge, remembering that the illusion was no good to the touch. “Please talk to me?”

Velvet just stared. For a moment, she beckoned Twilight over, trying to force a smile on as she looked into her foal’s eyes. They came no closer, but instead just stared at her, as if in horror. The older mare put her hoof down, and bent her head low, before her knees followed suit. “Yes, princess Twilight, all is fine. I… I understand what my role was, and hope you and your… your n-new mo-” She couldn’t keep it up any further than that though, and put her head to the floor as the tears she had held back now came down her cheeks.

Twilight moved without a second thought, her heart in agony from seeing her mother be hurt so badly. She put a hoof to Velvet’s cheek, her words flying like bees from their hive. “No, no mom, please, don’t think that. Luna could never replace you as my mother, I swear!”

Now it was Luna’s turn to wince, but she knew she had had the easiest time here. She may have had to suspect her young one to be dead, but at least she never had to raise her, only to then say goodbye. The princess stepped forward, and placed a hoof on Velvet’s chin, forcing her to look up. “Please, Lady Velvet, do not fear me. I owe you everything, and would not dare wish to harm you. In fact,” Luna slowly got onto her knees, her horn touching the ground, “I beseech you to please allow me to take care of your daughter, as you have before me.”

Before the older mare could speak, another set of hooves echoed from above. “I’m sorry for not having come down earlier. I really ought to break the habit of sleeping in on days…” Night Light stopped midway up the stairs and simply blinked at the situation before him. As he looked to his daughter, and then to Luna, his pupils shriveled up, and his mouth became dry. He knew better than to react too quickly though. “Well, this is… unexpected. Could I perhaps be caught up in what’s going on?”

Velvet looked between Luna, to her filly, who looked a lot more like a filly than she expected to see, and then to her husband. She then cleared her throat and said in a monotone, shocked voice, “Luna was told she had a daughter sometime recently, Twily’s glamour broke, and now the princess of the night is asking to be our little filly’s mother, along with me.”

Night Light trotted in, noting Twilight’s illusion shimmer, before Luna simply collapsed it, along with Twilight’s height. Seeing his little filly so small brought a tear to his eyes, and he rubbed them as he sat on the couch with Velvet. “Well, if my wonderful wife is correct, then I see no real issue. We always knew about this, and so long as I can still say Twily’s my little one, I won’t stop you. Now, joining mine and Velvet’s bed, that’s a whole different issue I feel.”

A small laughter broke the tense air, and once Twilight was done acting like she was about to vomit, she placed a small hoof on her father’s leg, and mouthed, ‘Thank you.’ Night Light simply nodded, even as his chest kept tight, and he wanted to say so much more, but couldn’t. He would stay true to his word, even if it hurt.

Velvet smiled at Night Light. Night is right. If Twilight will always be our little filly, I can share. She turned to Luna as they both stood back up. and wiped a tear away. “You’ll be taking her home with you to the castle, then?”

Luna shook her head. “Oh no, I plan to stay with Twilight in Ponyville. I wish to make this as easy as I can on her. Even though her physical appearance is that of a foal, I want to treat her as a mare as much as I can.”

Velvet nodded. “I hoped you would say something like that. Twilight was always so independent.” She wrapped her forelegs around Twilight and smiled. “I knew this day would come, Twilight. Forgive me for not telling you.”

“Of course, Mom! I never would have understood, especially not back when I was a filly. I barely understand it all now...” Twilight nuzzled into Velvet’s chest, breathing in her scent, which was much like her own.

Slam

Everypony and Spike looked up to see Shining Armor, standing in the now open doorway, which led to the kitchen, and the door handle that was embedded in the wall. Standing behind him was Cadance, looking very apologetic.

“Wh-what is going on? Twily… Twily was adopted? She’s Luna’s daughter! Wh-why is Twily a foal again? Why was I never told any of this?!” Shining Armor spun around to face Cadance, who was looking at and away from him. “And you knew, didn’t you? Why didn’t you tell me, Cadance? Why?”

“I-I wanted to, but I had to wait until Twilight and Luna both knew. Auntie Celestia made certain I understood how important it was that nopony knew. Before Auntie Luna came back, there were ponies who would have taken Twilight. Th-those ponies would have taken her from us forever! That’s why Auntie asked me to foal sit her. I never expected to… to fall in love with you, Shiny, but I did. I hated that I could not tell you. I love Twilight, and you, so please, forgive me?” Cadance placed her forehoof on Shining Armor’s shoulder.

“I… Cady, Twily…” Shining Armor’s body shook. “I just…” He closed his eyes before they snapped back open as he felt a tiny hoof touch his foreleg.

“BBBFF, I may be your adoptive sister, but that doesn’t change anything! Mom is still Mom, Dad is still Dad, and y-you are my Big Brother Best Friend Forever. I just... I have a second Mom now, who wants to have the chance to be my Mom…” Twilight looked up at Shining Armor with a hopeful smile, her ears pinned back a bit.

Shining Armor looked over at his Mother and Father sitting next to each other, holding hooves. Across from them, Luna had taken a half step forward, with Spike under her barrel, holding tight to to her leg. Finally, he looked down to see the familiar, big, purple eyes looking up at him, and felt his anger melt away. Twily is right, adopted or not… “I’m sorry, Twily, you are right. Princess Luna, welcome to the family, again.” He grinned goofily over at Cadance, who rolled her eyes before smiling.

“Well, since you’re here, why don’t we all have breakfast? I made pancakes!” Cadance beamed before her eyes widened in realization. “Oh no, I left the stove on!” She scurried back into the kitchen with Twilight Velvet quickly hurrying after her, a fire extinguisher already held in her magical grasp. Night Light and Shining Armor merely shook their heads.

“Come on, son, let’s go get some donuts from Pony Joe’s while your Mom tries to save both your wife, and our kitchen.” Night Light turned to head out the door as Shining Armor nodded, following after him.

“Sorry about this, Princess. It’s just a bit… well, actually, this is just a normal morning in the Light household.” Shining Armor shrugged as both stallions walked past her.

“No, Cadance, not like that!”

Luna felt a smile cover her muzzle as she heard her niece and Twilight Velvet frantically crying out in alarm in the kitchen, along with the sound of spraying foam. I think I will enjoy being part of this family... She then shook her head and walked into the kitchen to see if she could help.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Jumbled, and Kalif, for help and editing. :heart: Love you guys! :heart: