• Published 11th May 2014
  • 9,302 Views, 2,537 Comments

Princess Luna's Suicide Solutions - kudzuhaiku



A young pegasus, not seeing any hope left in life, attempts to throw his life away. One pony's trash is another pony's treasure. And Luna likes digging through the trash.

  • ...
128
 2,537
 9,302

Chapter 5

The night air was chilly and cold. Noctilucent could see his breath. Foals bundled up a bit to venture out at night, and Holly had loaned him a scarf. His ears were freezing though. Indoors the temperature stayed stable.

Dinner had been surprisingly good, fried flat bread, sweet corn, turtle beans, and little green diced chilis. There was something new to Noctilucent called guacamole, made from something called an avocado. Holly had hoped that Noctilucent liked avocados, because they were a staple of the orphanage.

All of the foals were out playing in the sand, except for Graves, who sat by himself, watching the others. Occasionally, his barrel visibly expanded and contracted, as he sighed in boredom.

Holly was sitting on a spread out blanket, reading by hornlight. The moon was visible overhead. Stars were everywhere, the skies were so very clear in the desert. It was getting hard to see the stars in Canterlot.

Noctilucent, feeling a twinge of compassion, went over and sat down next to Graves, sitting close enough to the foal that they touched. Graves’ pelt was chilled with the night air.

“So why are you named Graves?” Noctilucent asked.

“Most of the refugee donkeys have sad names to remind us where we came from,” Graves replied. “The griffons drove us from our home.”

“Oh,” Noctilucent replied.

The little donkey foal continued to stare balefully at his fellow orphans, a faint scowl on his face.

“Why are you over here by yourself?” Noctilucent asked.

“Look, kill the small talk. By now, you’ve seen how I am. Why would anyone want to be around me? Have you not been paying attention?” Graves snarked.

“But I am sitting with you now. I chose to come over here and speak with you. I know how you are, and I was still concerned about a little lone donkey foal sitting all by himself looking sad,” Noctilucent said.

The sound of Graves grinding his teeth filled the night.

“You will just leave just like all of the others. Go away,” Graves demanded.

“No,” Noctilucent retorted, feeling more than a little miffed.

“I’m in a bad mood. Just leave me alone,” Graves said, his tone pleading.

“No,” Noctilucent said. “Want to talk about it?”

“No, now get stuffed,” Graves replied.

“Very kind of you to say that,” Noctilucent replied.

“I was having a bit of a moment before you came along and butted into my business,” Graves grumbled.

“I saw you having a moment, and I was worried,” Noctilucent explained.

“What gives you the right to come over here and try to make me feel better when I want to feel bad and have a moment all to myself? I’m not hurting anybody. I’m not bothering anybody. I just want to be alone sometimes,” Graves whined, his droopy ears twitching.

Noctilucent took the words like a slap in the muzzle. What gave him the right? What had given Princess Luna the right? If he stayed to try and help this troubled foal, he was imposing his will over Graves, just as Princess Luna had placed her will over him.

Hypocrisy was bitter in Noctilucent’s mouth. His resentment for Princess Luna’s actions struggled to continue to exist. He wanted to blurt out very angry things. Part of him wanted to shout. Instead, all that came out was…

“Sometimes, a pony loves you enough to rescue you even if you don’t want to be rescued. Or tries to comfort you. I came over here to try and make you feel better, so I could make myself feel better. I’ve had a really tough time lately and I struggle with depression,” Noctilucent said.

Graves turned and looked up at him, his face full of emotion and his eyes watering a bit. “You are talking to me as an adult. Thank you,” Graves said. “I am a very angry little donkey. I stay depressed.”

“Hard to live with,” Noctilucent said.

“Yes, it is,” Graves confessed.

The pair sat in silence for a while, Graves scooting a little closer to Noctilucent, trying to get warm. The little donkey made odd noises, sounds like he was clearing his throat or something. Noctilucent realised the foal was trying not to cry.

“I can’t leave here,” Noctilucent said. “Which means I can’t leave you. I am stuck here. There was a very bad pony out there who tried to hurt me, and Princess Luna brought me here to keep me safe.”

“She brought me here as well,” Graves said.

“So what happened?” Noctilucent asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Graves responded.

“Trust me, not talking about it will only make it worse,” Noctilucent said.

“If I tell you, you will only hate me,” Graves said, leaning completely against Noctilucent.

“Why would I hate you?” Noctilucent said. “Be reasonable.”

“I walked in on my mother,” Graves began, “while she was selling herself. I already knew what she was doing. But she didn’t know that I knew. She couldn’t deal with me knowing. The shame did bad things to her.”

“Ouch,” Noctilucent said softly. He suspected he knew what was coming.

“She killed herself,” Graves said.

And there it is Noctilucent said to himself.

“She drank drain cleaner,” Graves mumbled, breaking down. The little donkey began to cry, faint little sniffling sobs that he could not hold back. “I found her. Part of her had dissolved.”

Noctilucent felt very ill and struggled to keep down his dinner.

“Why did she do that to me?” Graves cried, his voice cracking.

“Sometimes, ponies, or donkeys, or any creature really, feels trapped. Stuck. And they think that suicide is a good way out. They don’t think about who they might hurt. Or how much it might hurt somepony when somepony finds them. All they can think about is ending the pain,” Noctilucent said, feeling a flood of self loathing coming on.

“Selfishness?” Graves asked.

“Sometimes. Maybe,” Noctilucent replied.

“How do you know this?’ Graves asked.

“I’ve been around a bit. Seen some things. Had some experiences of my own. I won't say it is because I am an adult, that would be insulting,” Noctilucent answered, not revealing the whole truth.

“So somebody hurt you, still wants to hurt you, maybe kill you, otherwise, why would Luna put you here in the middle of nowhere, you have a wing break bad enough to require a complicated wireframe, and you know about why bad things happen to donkeys and ponies. At least you seem to know enough about where I am coming from and you are not patronising to me by pretending to know how much pain I am in,” Graves said.

“Something like that,” Noctilucent replied.

“That makes me feel better,” Graves admitted. The little donkey foal sat snuffling and snorting, his tail flopping around in the sand.

“I hit a very bad place in my life because I couldn’t find somepony to talk to. I had pushed everypony away. And then, when I needed somepony, there was nopony for me to turn to. I felt trapped,” Noctilucent admitted. “Don’t do that to yourself Graves.”

“I’ll think about it,” Graves answered, still leaning on Noctilucent.

“Do you ever try to talk to Holly?” Noctilucent asked.

“No,” Graves responded, “Holly treats me like a foal. She dismisses what I have to say because she is infuriatingly adult in her viewpoints.”

“Oh,” Noctilucent replied. “Maybe I can talk to her, if you will allow me to.”

“You would do that?” Graves asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I?” Noctilucent asked.

“Most creatures I know in Las Pegasus, well, nobody helps anybody,” Graves said, looking confused and hurt.

“That’s awful,” Noctilucent said. “Canterlot is getting more and more like that. I think. Or maybe it is just me,” Noctilucent said.

Not too far away, Biscuit came slowly walking up to the pair, and then, a short ways away, he sat down and looked at them both.

Noctilucent made a gesture with his foreleg, beckoning the foal over. Biscuit, seeing the invitation, came bounding over quickly and then clung to Noctilucent’s front leg.

“I feel bad for Biscuit,” Graves admitted, but made no attempt to comfort his fellow orphan.

Biscuit seemed ecstatic about hugging Noctilucent’s leg, squeezing with his tiny little forelegs. Noctilucent reached down with his good wing and gave the foal a tickle.

Biscuit did not laugh.

And Noctilucent felt a little worried. Foals should laugh when tickled.

The worrisome condition pressing heavily upon his mind, Noctilucent made a note to ask Luna about what had brought Biscuit to this place, even though he suspected he already knew.

Suicide seemed like an all too common theme.


The foals were all tucked away in their cots, some tucked under extra blankets because of the chill, and the sleeping room was quieting down.

That was until Cactus Blossom actually managed to fart out the first six notes of the Equestrian anthem and made the entire room explode with giggles and groans.

Holly looked somewhat disgusted while Noctilucent tried very hard to not look impressed. Cactus Blossom had impressive control. She was talented. Gifted.

And she stunk up the entire room.

“Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so let’s have beans with every meal,” Cactus Blossom sang to her fellow orphans, causing most of them to giggle.

“Please, try to quiet down, it is bedtime,” Holly requested.

“But it stinks in here,” Sassafras complained.

“Sure does!” Cactus said, giggling. “Smells like donkey.”

“Shut up Cactus!” Graves demanded.

“I don’t shut up, I grow up. And when I look at you I throw up!” Cactus singsonged.

“Do you want Noctilucent to whistle again?” Holly threatened.

The room fell quiet suddenly, not one peep being made.

“Be good foals. I love you all. Even you, yes you, the one who is doubting me right now,” Holly said sweetly.

Holly and Noctilucent backed out of the room, hoping that the foals would go to sleep. Holly went to work on daily reports, leaving Noctilucent standing alone in the hall.

It began to settle in just how difficult his task was going to be.

Author's Note:

Graves...

I dunno what to say about Graves.

I like him.

Cactus growing on anybody yet?

Let me know if there are any errors I missed, it is late and I am tired. I wanted to get this out though because my readers are worth it.

Thanks for giving this story a chance, it means the world to me.