• Published 10th May 2014
  • 6,141 Views, 1,363 Comments

Pound and Pumpkin Tales 1 - Never2muchpinkie



Set a few years into the future, six year old Pound and Pumpkin have a lot of growing up to do. They fight and make up, make mistakes and learn lessons, and love and protect each other as much as they get on each other's nerves.

  • ...
12
 1,363
 6,141

PreviousChapters Next
Happy Birthday 5: Strong bonds

“Well, after the craziness of that snowball fight I think we could all use a break to settle down,” said Cup. “Excitement is fine, but down time is just as important.”

“Sure thing,” said Masky. “I’m all for a little down time right now.”

They made their way to the living room, where Mayhem conjured up some more couches for them to sit on, as at present there was only room for six. Of course there were folding chairs in the main area, but he hardly felt it fair to make anyone not have a comfy spot to relax.

He then lit up the fireplace and gave everyone a cup of hot cocoa, which they drank gratefully. Pound, Pumpkin, Flurry, and Mayhem were all sitting on their parents laps.

For the next ten minutes all of them just enjoyed the pleasure of each other’s company. The crackling of the fire and the slurping of cocoa were the only sounds as they all rested up from their snowball fight.

When they all finished their cocoa they were ready to begin again. Pinkie suggested playing some party games, which they agreed with.

Mayhem figured he should get rid of the empty glasses and extra furniture he had created. As he went to snap he noticed with a stab of panic that his fingers were gone, and his body was slightly transparent. All his playing around had caused him to use up too much magic.

‘This is terrible!’ he thought. He didn’t want to leave the party. They were all having so much fun.

He looked toward Discord, feeling uncomfortable. Discord was the only one who could restore him. If he didn’t want to vanish that was his only hope. But would Discord help him? He had been nothing but rude to Discord all this time.

Fluttershy had asked him to be nicer to Discord, and she had told Discord she loved him. If Fluttershy thought he was okay then so should he, shouldn’t he? She had thanked Discord for thinking about him, Mayhem. He didn’t know what, specifically, she had been thanking him for, but it clearly made Fluttershy happy.

He looked at his arm again and saw that his whole hand was gone now. He didn’t have time to consider the matter. Before long he’d be gone completely, and he’d lose his chance to make his request.

He jogged over to Discord and called his name.

The draconequus looked down to see Mayhem looking up at him with his arms behind his back, looking a little embarrassed. “Yes, Mayhem? What brings you over here?”

“I need your help.”

“Me?” he asked. “What would you need me for? Fluttershy fulfills all your needs, right? Why don't you ask her?”

Mayhem started moving up and down, letting out a whine. Discord seemed annoyed at him. “Look, I’m sorry about the way I’ve been treating you, but I really, really, really, REALLY need your help!”

The little draconequus looked on the verge of tears, his voice oddly emotional. It piqued Discord’s interest. “And just what is it you need me for?”

“I’m vanishing!” Mayhem pulled his arms from behind his back, one of his arms gone up to the elbow and the hand on the other one starting to fade. “I want to stay and play with my friends! Can you please, please, PUH-LEASE give me some more magic?” He sniffed, tears coming down his eyes. If he still had hands he'd be holding them together as he pleaded.

So that was it. Discord lowered his head until he was at Mayhem’s height. “You certainly livened up the party, but I think you’re making our gracious host quite jealous by showing off so much. They had plans for this day, and then you went and showboated over all of it. It's rather rude.”

Mayhem shot a quick look towards Cup Cake and said, “I’ll stop. I promise.”

Discord chuckled, patting his head. “Very good.” Moving his hand down until it was in the center of Mayhem’s chest he focused a bit.

As Mayhem watched his arms returned, and he felt full of energy. He let out a sigh of relief, gratitude shining on his face. His animosity to Discord vanished on the spot.

“Now go on back to your friends." He did a shooing motion. "No need to be over here now.”

Mayhem floated up, hugging Discord’s neck. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” he said, ecstatic. He gave Discord a kiss on the cheek. “I love you, Daddy! You’re the best!”

Discord blinked as Mayhem took off, doing loop-de-loops and letting out joyful screams. He would never tell anyone, but he was more touched than he wanted to admit about Mayhem finally accepting him. He was unable to keep a tender smile from crossing his face.

“Someone looks happy,” said Fluttershy as she sidled up next to him.

Discord jumped, feigning disinterest. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Fluttershy gave him a knowing smirk. “You can’t hide it from me. I know you too well. You aren’t much different from Flurry or Masky or Mayhem. You were just looking for love and acceptance.”

Discord frowned, growling before he said, “Enough of the sappy talk. I am a lord of chaos, not some domesticated housecat!” He crossed his arms. “Don’t you forget it.”

Fluttershy wasn’t bothered. She knew that was just his pride talking. Feigning tears she put a hoof over her face and said, “So… so you’re saying you don’t consider us friends?”

Discord immediately looked to her with concern. Apologetically he said, “Of course I do. Don’t get upset.”

“Gotcha!” she cried out, hugging him.

Discord groaned. “I should have known. You ponies can’t be trusted.

"I swear, one of these days I'm going to conquer Ponyville again just so you remember how terrifying I really am."

"And I'm sure you'll want to wear your stone suit, pants, and boots for the occassion, hmm?" She gave him a wink.

"Well, hardy har har. Aren't you clever?" He put an arm around her. “Happy now? You’ve broken me in front of everyone.”

Fluttershy gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Yes, I am happy. Happy that I got to know you and that you’re one of my dearest friends.”

“Must you say such stuff in public? Just emasculate me in front of the whole world, why don't you?”

“Oh, no one’s even paying attention to us. And I know you appreciate it, no matter what you say.”

Discord looked around to make sure no one was looking in their direction, then kissed the tip of her nose. He set her down. “There you go, now shoo. Shoo!” He pushed her towards the others.

Fluttershy’s nose was tingling a bit. It was so fun to tease him sometimes.

Naturally, as they went along, Tree Leaf asked about seeing some more magic, but Mayhem put his hoof down. “No more magic!” he said firmly. “I only have a limited amount, and I used up too much before and had to ask Daddy for more. I’ll disappear if I use up too much magic, and I don’t think he’ll give me any more now.”

Peppermint gaped at him. “You mean he’d just let you die?”

“No, no, no!” Pound said. “Mayhem is literally magic with a personality. If he uses up the magic that created him then he just returns to Discord, and Discord can always let him out again.”

“Oh.” She let out a sigh of relief. “That scared me for a moment.”

Mayhem twirled a lock of his hair. “Well, he also said I was showing off too much. I don’t want anyone to think I’m arrogant. So no more magic from me.”

Tree Leaf sighed. “Alright. I’d rather you be here and the party be a little more boring than for you to have to leave just for having fun.”

Mayhem hugged him. “Thank you.”

Even though the party was more low-key after that they still had a good time anyway.

After a few more hours they shut the lights, lit up some candles, and sang the happy birthday song.

“Now make a wish and blow out the candles.”

Discord looked at the thoughtful expressions on the twins faces, taking a peek inside their minds.

‘I wish that I’ll fly really soon,’ came from Pound.

Discord nodded. An obvious wish.

‘I wish that Pound starts flying as soon as possible,’ thought Pumpkin.

That one took Discord by surprise. He thought for sure her own wish would be self-serving as well.

As the twins blew out the candles Discord scanned their memories. From Pound there was his immense frustration and feelings of inferiority towards his fellow pegasi classmates, as well as toward Pumpkin for being so much further along in her magic than him with his flight. He had overcome that self-pity in favor of working really hard, but the desire was still strong in his heart to finally truly fly.

From Pumpkin there was her observation of Pound’s work ethic, how he had felt so inferior to her and wanted to excel. There were plenty of things she wanted for herself to wish for, but seeing just how hard Pound was working towards improving and how badly he wanted it allowed her to put her own desires aside for him. Once Pound flew they would be equals once again.

Everyone clapped as Pinkie began cutting pieces of cake. Discord chuckled, taking his piece when it was offered to him.

Flurry grew melancholy as she slowly shoved cake in her mouth.

Pinkie noticed her downcast expression. “Hey there!” she said brightly, rubbing Flurry’s head. “What’s putting a frown on your face?”

It felt like everyone turned to look at her. She sighed, a tear coming down her eye. “This is the end.”

“The end of what?” asked Twilight.

“After the cake is done we’ll be leaving. Mom and Dad have to be around to protect the Crystal Empire. I’m not ready to go yet.” A few more tears came down her eyes. “I finally made some friends that love me for who I am. I don’t want to leave them yet!” She put her hooves to her face, quietly sobbing. “I wanna stay!”

Shining and Cadence looked at each other guiltily. “The trains are gonna stop running soon,” said Shining. “I’m afraid she’s right.”

Twilight just smiled, thinking back to her very first day in Ponyville after defeating Nightmare Moon.

“Why so glum, my faithful student?” Celestia asked. “Are you not happy that your quest is complete, and you can return to your studies in Canterlot?”

“That’s just it. Just when I’ve learned how wonderful it is to have friends, I have to leave them.”

She walked over and hugged Flurry. “Dry your tears, Flurry. You can still be part of the sleepover with all your friends.”

She looked up, sniffing. “I… I can?”

“All the other kids are sleeping over. You can spend the night too, and I’ll take you home myself tomorrow.”

Flurry’s disposition brightened immediately as she hugged her back. “Thank you, Aunt Twilight! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“I’m the Princess of Friendship. If it’s for the sake of promoting friendship between others it’s a small price to pay. Besides, it’s been forever since I’ve seen the Crystal Empire.”

Cadance smiled warmly. “And we’ll welcome you with open hooves.”

After the cake was finished they went on to presents. Since Cadance and Shining had to leave they opened their gifts first.

Pound got pajamas styled like a green dragon with accompanying clawed feet. He immediately put them on, roaring at everyone for a minute.

Pumpkin got griffon style pajamas, which she also loved.

Once all the presents were done their guests started leaving, and the kids all went up to the twins room, where they began to tell each other scary stories by flashlight.

Once they were tuckered out they all got in their sleeping bags on the floor. Although Mayhem didn’t want to show off he wanted to end the night with one last bit of magic. He moved his hand towards the edge of the ceiling, and swiped it left until it reached the other side.

All the other kids let out cries of amazement, as it looked like the roof of the building had vanished. The ceiling was replaced with what looked like the night sky. The moon shone overhead, stars twinkled, and it really just felt like they were camping outside.

Pound put his hooves behind his head. “Without a doubt this has been the best party we’ve ever had."

“You said it!” said Pumpkin, letting out a happy sigh. “And I don’t think Mayhem had anything to do with it.”

“Hey!” the draconequus complained. “That’s not a nice thing to say.”

“Oops. That came out wrong. Sorry. I meant that it wasn’t your magic that made this day great. It was being surrounded by all the friends we made. We like you for YOU, not the cool stuff you can do.”

“Oh,” he replied, understanding. “Well, I like all of you for you too. It feels wonderful to be around so many good friends.”

“You said it,” said Flurry. “My heart has been so heavy, but now it feels light as a feather. And I owe it to all of you.”

She sighed. “I’m just a little sad because it won’t last. All of you live in Ponyville. You can see each other all the time.”

“Don’t get upset, Flurry,” said Masky. He leaned over toward Mayhem and started whispering in his ear.

The draconequus grinned. “Sure thing.” He snapped his claw, and seven notebooks came drifting down from the sky, landing on top of them.

“I think I know what you’re going for,” said Pumpkin as she sat up.

Flurry picked up her notebook and opened it. “It’s blank.”

“Not for long,” said Pumpkin as she levitated her saddle bag toward her. She pulled out a quill and started writing on the first page.

As Flurry watched words started appearing. “‘Hi, Flurry,’” she read. “How did you do that?” She sat up.

All of them were sitting up now. “This is a magic notebook,” said Peppermint. “Whatever you write in it appears in the other notebook linked to it. Me and Pumpkin have been talking through this.”

“And me too,” said Masky.

“Whoa…” Tree Leaf couldn’t believe how much cool stuff the twins had access to. He was so glad he had made up with the twins. There was so much he would have missed out on if he had stayed a brat.

“And now all seven of us can talk to each other whenever we want to,” said Pound. “No matter how far apart we are we can still be there for one another.”

Flurry chuckled. “I guess I shouldn’t expect any less from students of Aunt Twilight. You’ll always make sure that friendship finds a way, won’t you?”

The twins beamed. “Sure will,” said Pumpkin. “Because that’s our jobs as friends of the Elements of Friendship.”

Flurry hugged the book to her. “Now I’ve always got a piece of you right beside me.”

“And if you REALLY need more then just come visit anytime,” said Pound.

“That… might be difficult. We’re so far away.”

“I don’t think distance is a problem,” said Peppermint. “After all, Twilight can teleport. Although… I don’t know if there’s a limit to how far she can do it.”

“Well, if Twilight can’t do it I know a friend of ours that can,” said Pound, looking over at Mayhem. “And if he can’t do it because it takes up too much magic and he’d disappear then we can always ask Discord about it.”

Pumpkin grinned. “As you said before, Flurry, friendship will find a way to bring us seven together again, so you shouldn’t worry about it.”

“You’re right. I won’t concern myself with it any longer.” She let out a yawn. “I’m bushed. I’m ready for sleep.”

There were murmurs of agreement, and all of them laid back in their sleeping bags, staring up at the fake sky.

“Goodnight, everyone,” said Pound.

“Goodnight!” came the replies.

***

It was the middle of the night, and the children had finally fallen asleep. A shadow crept into the room, sliding across the floor until it was in the middle of the circle of sleeping bags, then Discord emerged from it.

As one of the children stirred Discord snapped his claw, and all of them were put into an enchanted sleep. “Now then…” He turned around until he spotted Pound, lifting up the snoring colt in his magic, leaving him floating in mid-air.

“Let’s see what we have here.” He spun Pound around until his back was to him, lifting up his wings.

He looked up a little, and with a snap a stat screen popped up next to Pound. “Oh, my. You’ve earned three hundred and sixty five experience points and have increased your level to seven. Looks like someone just unlocked two new stat upgrades. Hope you don’t mind if I spend those for you.”

“We’ll add a point to wing length.” He gave a tug on Pound’s wings and they increased in length by an inch. With another snap Pound’s wings began moving on their own, lifting up a tiny set of weights. “And one to wing strength.”

Going through Pound’s memories again he could see the colt was very close to actually flying. He could hover and move forward, but he just lacked enough strength to gain air. He didn’t want to give Pound Rainbow Dash levels of skill. He only wanted to give the colt just enough of a boost that he got what he wanted, but not enough that he’d notice something was off. His gift would come to nothing if Pound didn’t feel he had accomplished it himself.

“Your Pound Cake wants to learn fly, but he can only learn four moves. Would you like to delete one to make room for fly?

“Why, sure I would. But what should I get rid of? Hmm. Breathing? Probably should keep that. Overprotectiveness? Nah, it’s one of his central traits.

“Wait a minute! What’s this? ‘Hovering?’ Boring! Let’s get rid of that. Three… two… one… poof. Your Pound Cake forgot hovering, and has learned fly.”

Chuckling to himself he set the colt back on the floor, tucking him back in his sleeping bag. “Just think of it as a reward for all the fun I had at Fluttershy’s birthday party. It drove Twilight crazy.” He glanced toward the sleeping Mayhem, and felt an odd warmth in his heart. “And, of course, for taking such good care of my little chaos spawn.” With a final laugh he snapped his claw one last time, vanishing as he broke the sleeping spells he placed on the children, anxious for the next day.

Author's Note:

So Mayhem finally accepted Discord, putting him in a good mood. And now he's passing that on to Pound.

The finale is up next. Hope you enjoy it.

PreviousChapters Next