• Published 10th May 2014
  • 6,141 Views, 1,363 Comments

Pound and Pumpkin Tales 1 - Never2muchpinkie



Set a few years into the future, six year old Pound and Pumpkin have a lot of growing up to do. They fight and make up, make mistakes and learn lessons, and love and protect each other as much as they get on each other's nerves.

  • ...
12
 1,363
 6,141

PreviousChapters Next
15-4: And that's how Equestria was made part 2

Twilight and the gang were walking through the Everfree Forest. “So the Elements of Harmony are at Celestia’s old castle, huh?” said Twilight "I wonder why she never told me about them.”

“She probably forgot about them,” said Rarity.

There was a bolt of lightning in front of them, and Nightmare Moon appeared. “Stop right there!”

“Who are you?” asked Twilight.

“If you wish to get to the Elements you’ll have to get past me!”

Twilight summoned a dog bone, waving it around. Nightmare Moon followed it as it moved around, and then leapt after it when Twilight launched it into the horizon. “Well, that was easy. Let’s keep going.”

As they walked Twilight said, “There are supposed to be six elements. I wonder how much they’re worth as a set? Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, and Magic.”

“Six Elements, and there’s six of us? Hmmmm,” said Pinkie, her eyes growing wide with wonder, but they quickly returned to normal. “Probably just a coincidence.”

“Oh no,” Rainbow said with false drama. “A rockslide.”

“Aahhh,” the rest replied in the same monotone.

Twilight was hanging off a cliff, yelling for help.

“Dagnabit,” said Applejack. “If she gets killed we’ll never get those cookies!” She slid down to get her, holding onto her hooves.

“What should we do, Applejack?” said Twilight.

There was a brief pause, then, “Let go.”

“What?”

“I know it’s scary, but I promise you’ll be safe. That’s the HONEST truth.” The word “honest” appeared over her head as she said it, followed by a bunch of signs appearing, pointing at her and saying the same thing, before disappearing.

“Okay. I trust you.”

She let go, screaming for a moment before falling about two feet and landing right in Fluttershy and Rainbow’s hooves, taking her to safety.

“Oh, look at me,” said Applejack proudly. “I’m just so… honest.” Once more the word flashed over her head.

Twilight dusted herself off. “Was there any reason you couldn’t just TELL ME that Rainbow and Fluttershy were going to catch me?”

Applejack got her liar face on, her snout scrunching up as she looked up and away.

***

“Hey!” said Twilight, turning to Applejack. “Why DIDN’T you just say that?” There was immense satisfaction from seeing Applejack lost for words. Finally someone else was getting made fun of besides her.

***

As the group continued walking there was a sudden roar, and out popped a manticore to block their path.

“Oh, no!” said Rainbow. “We have to stop this thing.”

There was a battle scene, where all of them except Fluttershy tried to defeat it, but none of them succeeded.

Fluttershy suddenly landed in the middle of the two sides. “Hold it,” she said gently, a spotlight on her, sparkles following her descent. “We can’t win with violence. We should use kindness.” Like with Applejack the word flashed over her head.

“Well, what do ya suggest?” asked Applejack.

Fluttershy turned toward the manticore. “You’re scared, aren’t you? But it’s okay.” She flew over to it, unzipping its stomach and reaching her hooves into it.

***

Fluttershy nearly jumped out of her seat in panic. She didn’t want this kind of portrayal of her, even if they were joking around. She gasped suddenly, and let out a squee as the Fluttershy on stage pulled out a little baby manticore, revealing that the big manticore was just a robotic suit. She looked longingly as her stage self hugged it close to her, nuzzling the little baby, and cooed at it. Even though it was ridiculous she really wished she could be on stage to hug the little thing herself.

***

“There, there,” said Fluttershy. “Everything’s okay.” She put the baby back inside the suit. “Go on now.”

It let out a tiny squeak of a roar in gratitude before leaping off.

***

“Awwww, that was so adorable!” Fluttershy cried out, holding her hooves to her face and shaking her head, her face bright with happiness. “I wish that’s how things would have actually gone.”

“Next up is Pinkie Pie,” said Applejack. “Right?”

“Yeah,” said Rainbow. “Then Rarity, and finally yours truly.”

Pinkie’s eyes were sunny with delight. She couldn’t wait to see how she would solve things in Pound and Pumpkin’s world.

***

It grew dark as the group continued into the woods, before suddenly lighting up with trees with scary faces. All of them except Pinkie began screaming. Pinkie just played with them, laughing away.

“Ah, this is so great,” she said.

“Great!” said Twilight. “This is terrifying!”

“All you need to beat your fears is a little bit of laughter.” As before, the word popped up above her head.

“Alright, then,” said Rainbow toughly, facing one of the trees and pointing at it. “Ha ha ha ha ha!”

“No, no, Rainbow,” Pinkie replied chidingly. “That’s mocking laughter. You need real laughter. Well, that… and a catchy song.” Pinkie turned to the audience with a wink and a smile.

“When I was just a filly, and the sun was going dooo-ooo-ooownnn-“

***

Pinkie felt just a tad disappointed. Slight changes in dialogue aside everything seemed exactly the same. Even her song was coming off the same.

***

Pinkie moved around, hanging upside down, to peeking out of one of the trees as she continued singing. “…and tell that big dumb scary face to take a hike and leave you alone, and if he thinks he can scare you he’s got another thing coming and the very idea of such a thing makes you just wanna… ha ha ha ha ha ha ha-” There was a poof, and Pinkie abruptly stopped singing, looking behind her.

“Ummm… Pinkie?” started Twilight. “I don’t think it was a good idea to start laughing inside of an enchanted tree that is defeated by laughter.”

Pinkie’s front fell to the ground. “Oh, Twilight. You don’t know the… HALF… of it!”

***

Both on stage and off everyone groaned except Pinkie and Discord, who both found the pun entertaining.

***

“What are we gonna do y’all?” said Applejack. “We can’t just work with half a Pinkie.”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” said Pinkie nonchalantly. She put her hoof into her mouth, and blew hard. Her face grew red and her head expanded for a moment before her back half came out. “There we are.”

***

Twilight chuckled. “Honestly, I don’t think that would surprise me if she could do that.”

“Finally getting into things, Twilight?” said Discord, his neck growing until his head was next to hers.

With a slight sigh she said, “I said it before. I know this is a comedy that is only very loosely based on how things actually went. I have to at least give the twins credit for originality, and now that I’m not the only target of theirs its getting more entertaining.”

***

“How did you do that?” asked Rarity.

“Oh, didn’t you know?” Pinkie responded. “I’m half pony, half balloon, and half cotton candy.”

“But that’s too many-” Twilight started before Pinkie sat down and began eating some of her tail. “You know what? Never mind. I’m just not going to question.”

Next they arrived at the river, which was whipping and churning. They came upon the crying sea serpent.

“What’s wrong with you?” asked Rarity. “We really need to pass.”

“Just look at me!” he cried out melodramatically. “I lost part of my moustache! I look ridiculous.”

“Oh. I see. I have a generous idea.” Once more the word flashed above her head like the others. “Come down here.”

“Okay.”

When he put his head by hers she pulled out one of his scales. She lifted it up with her teeth, swinging it down. “There. How’s that?”

“What have you done?” he asked in horror, touching his face, the other half of his moustache gone.

“Why, I evened you out, of course.”

“That made things worse!”

“Hmm. I see your point. Well, then! I shall simply have to doll you up so much that no one will pay attention to your moustache.”

***

Rarity watched the stage, wondering what she was going to do. So far the twins had made everything ridiculous.

***

Rarity’s horn began to glow, and all of his scales came off.

“What have you done?” the serpent yelled. “You’re going to make me a laughing stock!”

***

Rarity’s mouth was hanging open. She couldn’t imagine how they were going to salvage this. She would never do such horrible things.

***

“Everyone close their eyes!” said Rarity, and the lights turned off. “I must work… the magic!”

For about thirty seconds the only thing they could see was the soft glow of Rarity’s horn, and mystery objects wrapped in her telekinesis.

When she stopped she said, “Open your eyes, and gaze upon my greatest work!”

***

The lights flashed back on, and the group let out little yells, having to avert their eyes for a few moments. The serpents body was dazzling, sparkling and twinkling like the stars against the night sky.

***

“Oh, wow, Rarity,” said Twilight. “How did you manage that?”

“Oh, silly Twilight. I never leave home without my SEQUIN CANNON!” She moved to reveal a cannon, hitting the switch and spraying his face.

“Ooh-ho-ho-ho!” he exclaimed in delight. “I look absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much.”

“All in a day’s work, my good sir.”

Picking the six up he dropped them off on the opposite shore, wishing them luck as they continued on.

***

Rarity chuckled. She could live with that. She had once said you could never have too many sequins, after all.

“Oh, yeah!” Scootaloo said, pumping her hoof. “Rainbow’s up next.”

“I can’t wait,” Rainbow said, restlessly moving around.

***

They came upon the broken bridge near the castle. “Oh, great,” said Applejack. “What are we gonna do now?”

Twilight stepped up. “I’ll just use my magic to-”

As her horn began to glow Rainbow pushed her aside. “Yeah, I’ll handle this. After all, I’m better than everyone here. I could have handled all of this on my own, but I didn’t want you to feel TOO inferior to me.”

***

Rainbow was cracking up, not insulted in the slightest at her portrayal.

***

Rainbow grabbed the broken bridge and pulled it over to the other side. She roped one of the sides to its corresponding log. As she went to get the second one three ponies came to her.

“Hold on, Rainbow! We’re the Shadowbolts. Abandon your friends, and we’ll make you the greatest athlete in all of Equestria.”

Rainbow began to laugh. “Oh, that’s funny! You think I need YOUR help to be the greatest? I’m ALREADY the best.” She flexed her muscles. “Oh, but let me return the favor. You want to hear something funny too?”

The Shadowbolts glared at her. “What’s that?”

“Rainbow Dash.”

There was a brief silence before one of them said, “I don’t get it.”

There was a bright flash and the sound of impacts. Rainbow was now in the middle of the three of them, an ice cold glare on her face.

The three Shadowbolts collapsed to the ground.

“That’s because Rainbow Dash is no joke!”

***

Rainbow blinked before joining in with Scootaloo in cheering. She was so going to steal that line. “That’s right!” she yelled. “I’m no joke!”

***

She turned her back on the Shadowbolts, tying the second half. “I’m better than everyone else because I have to be. Otherwise, how would I protect all my friends? That’s loyalty that will never be broken.” Like all the rest, the word floated above her head.

***

Twilight was momentarily stunned that there was actually some seriousness in this play, and she found herself clapping her hooves with the rest for a time.

The Rainbow on stage began showboating and blowing kisses to the audience, encouraging more applause whenever they stopped until Applejack grabbed her tail and pulled her down, snapping at her for slowing down the story.

***

At last they reached the Castle of the Two Sisters. They entered it, looking around.

“So where are these Element things?” asked Pinkie Pie. “This castle is falling apart.”

“We’re looking for jewels shaped like a triangle, a diamond, a ruby; things like that,” said Twilight.

“Oh! I found them! Kinda!”

Twilight spun, seeing the round orbs on the floor, the symbols upon them. “A ROCK? They all turned to rocks?”

“Well, there are only five anyway,” said Rarity.

“Hmm. Maybe if we get the last one it will still be worth a little bit of money. The book said something about a spark causing the sixth element to appear.”

Twilight shot a small bit of magic at the Elements. They connected with a thread of magical energy before instantly turning to dust. Twilight’s jaw dropped to the floor with a loud bang.

“Well, shoot, that didn’t work,” said Applejack.

“Tough luck, darling,” said Rarity.

There was a flash, and Nightmare Moon appeared. “You got past all my traps, but you won’t get the Elements of Harmony!”

“Uh-oh!” said Fluttershy, cowering behind Rainbow. “Quick, Twilight, use another bone.”

“I don’t have any more!” she called back.

“The Elements are broken,” said Rainbow, pointing with her hoof.

“Excellent!” said Nightmare Moon.

“No, no, no. Something isn’t right,” said Twilight. “Did I miss something?” Twilight looked around, and the words “Generosity, Laughter, Kindness, Loyalty, and Honesty” were floating above her friends heads. “Oh. It’s so obvious now. You all are just like your Elements. The only one left is Magic. And since I’m the only other pony here that has to mean that I’m the chosen one.”

Twilight began to glow, her friends lifting up into the air with her, as the dust from the Elements began to reform, turning into their respective Elements and appearing on their necks. Once they were in place a crown appeared on Twilight’s head. “Aha! I was right.”

“NO!” yelled Nightmare Moon. “It can’t be. So now you’re planning to defeat me?”

“What?” said Twilight, pausing on their way to the exit. “What are you talking about? I just want to replace my book. The full set should be worth a ton of bits.”

“WHAT? You’re going to sell… oh,” Nightmare said, relaxing. “Okay. Just carry on, then. I’ll just conquer Equestria as planned.”

“You do that,” Twilight said disinterestedly, waving her hoof dismissively.

“And I’ll also destroy every library and every book in the world.”

Twilight paused, before rewinding so that they were all in front of her. “Nobody destroys books on my watch. Let’s get her! We’ll use these Element things.”

“You won’t stop me! I’ll defeat you. The night will last forev-AH!” Nightmare Moon recoiled as Rainbow threw her Element at her head.

“Hey, it’s working!” said Rainbow.

“Ahem!” she cleared her throat. “As I was saying, the night will la-” Bang. “Stop that! The night-” Bang. “The nig-” Bang. “The-” Bang.

Twilight stepped forward. “For BOOKS!” Her Element lifted off her head. “Fastball special.” She threw it as hard she could, knocking Nightmare Moon off her hooves.

Nightmare Moon phased out of Princess Luna, running away crying. “You’re so mean! WAAAHHH!”

“And don’t come back!” Twilight yelled after her.

***

“Well, I guess that’s one way of using the Elements of Harmony ta beat evil,” said Apple Bloom, shaking her head and giggling.

***

Princess Luna stood up, a sad look on her face. “Oh, my. You saved me from that monster. Thank you so much. I am in your debt.” She bowed her head.

“All in a day’s work,” said Rainbow arrogantly. “It would have been a quarter of a day if I didn’t have these slowpokes with me, but hey! They try their best.”

Celestia teleported in. “Princess Luna. Sister.” Her voice was hesitant, uncertain.

“Celestia.” Luna hung her head. “It has been a thousand years since I’ve seen you. I’ve regretted what I’ve done for so long. I mean, it was mainly just because it stinks being stuck on the moon and there was nothing much to do. But I realize that I also hurt you. I knew that one day I’d see you again, so I made you this. I know it’s not much, but I hope you enjoy it.”

With a poof of smoke something appeared on the ground. “What is this?” asked Celestia, looking down.

“Well, it wouldn’t make for good eating, but I made you a REAL moon pie. I know it can’t make up for everything, but I’m really sorry for what I did. I… I love you, Celestia.”

Celestia looked down at the stony pie on the ground, and tears brimmed in her eyes. “I’ve missed you too. May cake never drive us apart again.”

The two of them hugged.

***

Twilight felt herself tearing up… at least until Celestia’s and Luna’s tears became a raging waterfall that flooded the room.

The water receded out the back, all of them totally soaked.

Discord chuckled appreciatively. “Ah, I think this may just be the best day of my life.”

They sputtered and shook their heads, wiping the moisture out of their eyes. Blow dryers appeared, heating up the room and drying them all.

“I guess it would be too much to expect any genuine tearjerker moments to stick,” Twilight let out a light sigh.

“Probably,” said Pinkie Pie.

“Why be sad when you can be happy?” said Discord.

“There are happy tears too, you know?” Twilight replied.

“Hmm. I suppose.”

***

All of them headed back to the library. Celestia said, “Congratulations, Twilight. You managed to get the Elements of Harmony and use them to save Luna. I’m so proud of you.”

“Yeah. Way to go, Twilight,” said Rainbow. “Now let’s go sell them so you can replace your book.”

“WHAT?” Celestia replied with shock.

“Nothing!” said Twilight quickly, her cheeks going red as she smiled wide.

“Okay, then. Are you ready to go back to Canterlot? I have many more lessons and books for you.”

Twilight shook her head. “NO!” she said firmly.

“No? What are you saying, Twilight?”

“I’ve finally found something I love even more than books.” Twilight’s hooves extended, pulling the other five toward her. “My friends!”

***

Twilight wore a half-smile, touched by the truth of that statement, but also waiting for them to undo it. Sure enough, it happened.

***

Twilight gasped. “Oh my gosh. Best idea ever!” Her horn glowed, and a magic aura surrounded the five of them, before they all turned into books.

***

Twilight got a knowing look on her face, and shared in with the laughs of the others. “Old habits die hard, huh?” she said serenely. She really was very shallow back then. Obviously not as much as they portrayed her as, but she wasn’t much better either.

***

“Twilight!” Celestia said warningly.

“I was only joking,” she replied, turning them back into ponies.

“Hey!” said Pinkie. “I think this calls for a party!”

“Sorry,” said Celestia, glancing at her sister, "but the two of us have a lot of catching up to do.”

Luna smiled. “I’ll share my moon pies with you any day.”

“And I’ll share my cake with you.”

The two of them both bowed their heads. “We are in your debt, Twilight, you and all your friends. Thank you for returning my beloved sister back to me.”

“Thank you,” said Luna, both of them hugging her.

***

Twilight waited, but when a curtain began to cover the stage she realized they were letting this one stick.

Pound’s voice sounded for the first time in a while. “And so the two sisters got over their differences and became friends again. Twilight found the magic of friendship in her heart, and was determined to learn all she could about it.”

Pumpkin’s voice came next. “Although things would be hard, Twilight would beat every challenge that came her way, because she had found other ponies to rely on. And along the way their bond of friendship would grow bigger and bigger, becoming an unstoppable team.”

Twilight sniffed, moved by their words, cliché as they were. Perhaps it was because it was so comedic it made the serious parts stand out so deeply. Looking around she saw her friends looking at her, and she put her hooves out to hold theirs.

Pound and Pumpkin appeared in front of the curtain, beaming. “How was that?”

Twilight was the first to clap her hooves, and the rest of them quickly joined in, Applejack whistling loudly.

Discord rained confetti upon them. “Well, aside from the cheesy end that was just spectacular. Exactly what I’d expect from my little protégé’s.”

The two of them bowed, delighted that they had all enjoyed it.

“MORE! MORE!” said Fluttershy eagerly.

“Yeah!” “More!” Everyone began to loudly proclaim their agreement.

Pound and Pumpkin looked at each other and nodded. “Ask, and you shall receive,” said Pumpkin.

“We’ll be glad to provide more!”

The two of them disappeared, and everyone was left wondering what was going to come next.

Author's Note:

I see Rainbow's reaction to her portrayal the same as Toph's in Avatar the last airbender when she saw a play about their exploits by the ember island players

PreviousChapters Next