• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 9,732 Views, 550 Comments

Under the Starry Skies - Wintergreen Diaries



Silver Moonshine opens a tavern in Ponyville, hoping to escape the city and maybe find a nice mare.

  • ...
11
 550
 9,732

Closing the Distance

Chapter 29: Closing the Distance

It had been nearly a week since Silver had asked his mother to create Applejack’s ring. A week spent eagerly expecting a package, a box, or even a letter, just to update him on the progress. But with each passing day, grew a nagging fear that something needed to be done. Applejack was becoming more distant, and the last two nights he had slept alone. Talking to her proved fruitless, as she shrugged it off and consistently reaffirmed her love for him, but she seemed to be nervous being anywhere near him now, allowing nearly no physical contact. And all he could think, the only thought that seemed to dance through his mind...

“I think... I’m losing her, and I don’t even know why.” Rainbow Dash and Storm shared a concerned glance before turning their attention back to the dejected unicorn sitting before them.

“So, let me get this straight. Applejack has, within the last week, gone from cuddly to not giving you the time of day. And you can’t think of a single thing that you might have done or said?”

“No, not unless she’s lying to me. I’ve asked quite a number of times, but she just says that it isn’t me.”

“Well, duh, the problem is obviously with her.”

“Easy, Dash,” Storm urged, placing a hoof on his fiancé’s shoulders. “Silver, Applejack doesn’t lie. Has she told you nothing is wrong?”

“Well, no, not in those words.”

“Exactly. She’s clearly hiding something, but refuses to lie about it.”

“And she hates hiding things, and doesn’t like secrets either, so if she’s doing both, then it must be pretty serious.”

“You guys, I know all this! What I don’t know is how to go about fixing it!” His hooves rose to comfort his head as it drooped low. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to yell. I just... don’t know where to go from here.”


Ah can’t keep this up much longer... it ain’t fair t’ Silver, an’ it’s tearin’ me up, seein’ him so down. But ah... ah just can’t...

“Uh, Applejack? We’re supposed t’ be waterin’ the trees, not buckin’ em. Leaves don’t make good pie,” her brother said gently as her frustration boiled over. “It hasn’t gotten any better, has it.”

“No, it’s gotten worse. You’re a stallion, it’s in yer nature, but every time... ah can’t take this, brother. Ah hate t’ leave the work t’ you, but ah gotta talk to somepony who knows what ah’m feelin’.”

“Eeyup. Don’t worry none about me, Applejack. Just get things sorted out in yer head.”

“Thanks, Big Mac.” It was around eleven in the morning, and she hadn’t eaten much of anything, but she ignored the discomfort and made for Ponyville. Silver hadn’t bothered wearing clothes again since the day they both were confronted by Carrot Top and her gang, but after his revelation and Fluttershy’s rage-filled dressing down, both couples had been left alone, if not completely avoided. The tavern saw a slight decrease in business, but Silver seemed far more content with, on the whole, being accepted as he was rather than catching a few more bits. It was admirable, really, that somepony could maintain the kind of mentality after living in Manehatten for so long, but his character wasn’t what was in question.


Rarity had managed to quite successfully fulfill the opulently large order she had taken as a means of escape, and was enjoying the freedom to work further on creating marvelous, daring pieces to catch the eye of the elite. The struggle that had been growing within was temporarily diminished by her talk with Cerulean and Twilight, though it was still a daily battle. A knock at the door jarred her from her indulgence of a rather steamy thought, and she set down her glasses and waited an appropriate amount of time for the faint glow of her horn to die down before giving a startled gasp, finding Applejack at the door.

“Applejack? Do come in.” Rarity stood to one side as the earth pony quietly obeyed, trotting a short distance inside before stopping cold, as if waiting instructions. “Applejack, dear, whatever is the matter?”

“Do ya mind if we don’t jump right into that? Besides, ain’t you gonna gripe ‘bout mah mane?”

“Hmmm, it is true your mane could use a little work, but it’s nothing compared to last time you required my assistance. Still, I’ll see what I can do.” Applejack was grateful Rarity has overlooked the frustration in her voice that wasn’t meant to be there. Rarity was surprisingly quiet as they soaked in her lavish jacuzzi, to the point that Applejack was forced to break the silence.

“Uh, Rarity? How’ve you been?”

“Better than last time we spoke, I suppose,” she commented in a droll tone, examining a hoof. “I really must thank you, Applejack. It’s still... quite hard to keep my desires in check, but talking with Twilight and that infuriatingly charming oaf of hers really did help ease my anxieties.”

“Actually, that’s kind of what ah wanted t’ talk t’ you about.”

“What, Cerulean? What did he do this time?”

“No, not him, the... desires... thing.” Rarity raised an eyebrow, examining Applejack’s expression.

“Worried about wandering hooves?”

“It ain’t his hooves ah’m worried about, an’ would you please be serious? Ah ain’t foolin’ around.”

“I’m sorry, Applejack. I didn’t mean to poke fun. Please, continue.”

“Ah... can’t imagine wantin’ this fer as long as you have, Rarity. Mah love fer Silver just keeps growin’ and growin’, an’ ah can hardly stand it. But... it’s so hard t’ control mahself.” Rarity could definitely sympathize, even without having a special somepony. Applejack’s expression changed, and her voice softened as she revealed the heart of her inner war. “Do you know what mah last memory of mah father is? He and mah mother were fixin’ t’ leave somewhere, Applebloom was barely a year old. He looked me in the eyes, an’ said, ‘Applejack, you be a good girl, ya hear?’ An’ ah’ve tried, Rarity. Ah want t’ honor ‘is memory, but ah can’t stop this feelin’ ah have growin’ inside. Ah thought puttin’ some distance between us would help, but it’s only gettin’ worse.”

“They do say, ‘Distance makes the heart grow fonder.’” She fell silent for a time, mulling over Applejack’s words. “All right, my dear, the solution is really very simple. You must simply get married as soon as possible.”

“Trust me, if he asked, ah’d accept right away, but that’s not somethin’ ah can just ask ‘im for.”

“No, perhaps not, but I will tell you what you cannot do. Applejack, you mustn’t hide all this from him. Does he know you’re feeling like this?”

“Ah’m too ashamed t’ mention it to ‘im. Ah don’t want him t’ think ah’m like all those other mares in Manehatten, only after one thing.”

“Would you really want to marry somepony you couldn’t be honest with, Applejack?”

She’s right. Dangit, she’s absolutely right. If ah can’t talk to him about this, then how can ah justify... “Ah... guess ah need to have a talk with him, don’t I.”

“Quite. And it’s not going to be with a messy mane and wrinkled hooves. Come, it’s time for me to turn you into a lady.”


“Snowdrift, where are you going? Today’s our day off.” The pegasus paused at the door, barely giving his friend a second glance.

“I know, Freefall.”

“You aren’t still thinking about Berry, are you? Give it up, man. She’s older than you, and has a kid!”

“Do I look like I care? Maybe you’re not ready for a serious relationship, but I think she’s pretty, and I know she’s hurting. I’m not going to just do nothing. Heh, that’s your job.”

“Ouch, man. That hurts. Fine, whatever, go on. Let me know how it goes.” Snowdrift ignored the sarcasm and closed the door to his room, nodding to Granny Smith and making towards the tavern. The gentle breeze ruffled what feathers he had left, his unusable wings tucked permanently at his sides. The last time he had attempted so much as stretching them, the pain had nearly made him black out. Slowly, over time, new feathers had started to grow, but the damage yet remained, and so he stayed a grounded pegasus. A broken pegasus. And yet, Lemon had taught him at least one skill that, if nothing else, he could use to make somepony smile. And that somepony, he hoped, was Berry. He didn’t know where she lived, and he had barely talked to her, so he made for the tavern and hoped against hope that she was there.

The door was, fortunately, unlocked. His heart leapt as he spied the pink mare at the counter, hoof resting next to a half glass of cider and offering his approached only soft snores.

“You’ve been drinking... a lot, since Lemon left, Berry. It worries me, you know. No, you probably don’t. But it does,” he whispered, sitting beside her. He thought about fixing her something to eat, but that was something that Lemon had done numerous times, and he decided against it; he was going to be different, and he wasn’t going to remind her. Entering the kitchen, he dug out a couple of bits he had received as a tip and made for town, purchasing a single red rose and, upon returning, set it down next to the mare. “It’s not much... but I don’t really know what else to do. Sorry, Berry.”

“Hnnn, wha?” Snowdrift nearly fell over as the mare awoke, yawning and immediately placing a hoof to her head. “Oooh, that brandy packs a punch...” She cracked open her eyes and stared down at the rose. After rubbing her eyes, blinking, rubbing them once more and giving a third look, she arrived to the conclusion that the rose was real. “Who in Equestria would leave me a rose?”

“If... you tell me...” Snowdrift started, his voice wavering as he grew increasingly nervous under the mare’s gaze which was now focused solely on him, “where the hangover cure is, I’ll... I can grab it for you.” Berry was too confused, nauseous, and painfully aware of the pounding in her skull to worry about the stammering pegasus, and she mumbled out further instructions as she laid her head back down. After some shuffling, there was a small clinking noise as Snowdrift set the vial down in front of her. After checking the label, she downed the substance and resumed resting her head. Her mind seemed to clear as the alcohol was removed, and she again turned her attention to the rose. “Snowdrift, right?”

“Yes, Berr... miss... ma’am?”

“Berry is fine.” Why is he so nervous? Wait, there’s just no way. “Snow... did you bring me this?” His blush spoke before his words, the pink showing clearly against his off-white, light gray coat. Berry must have seen him a hundred times but she had never stopped to really look. His wavy mane were two similar shades of soft blue hues, parted down the center and curling down behind his ears. His Cutie Mark was a wind swirl filled with snowflakes, and as he followed her eyes to his flank, he swallowed hard, unsuccessfully trying to cram down his fear of ruining what little chance he may have had.

I’m such a bucking idiot, doing something like this so soon after Lemon left. Maybe Freefall was right... “I... I’m sorry, Berry.”

“Why... would you bring me a flower?”

“I wanted to try and cheer you up. I only know how to do one thing, and I figured making you food would just... bring back memories of Lemon...” At the mention of the unicorn's name, she turned away, drawing her cup of cider to her hoof and taking a swig, ignoring the wry taste from being room temperature. Snowdrift shook his head, wondering how he could have possibly messed things up any more. “I’ll... leave you alone now,” he muttered, heading towards the door, pausing as with it opened halfway as a voice called out behind him.

“Snow, wait.” He slowly turned around to face the mare. “I’m... a little hungry. Do you think you could help?” The door gently closed, and he managed a polite nod before receding into the kitchens. He could feel the vibrations in the floor as the mare slowly approached, and he forced himself to slow down lest he injure himself cutting the vegetables. “What are you doing, Snow?”

“Making... a salad? Well, trying to.”

“I meant to ask why. Am I just somepony to pity? A lonesome drunk?” The knife in his grasp stopped above the head of lettuce, hovering a moment before he lowered it gently down to the cutting board.

“Berry, I don’t know what’s led you to be a single mother, so I can’t say if you deserve pity for that. But Lemon hurt you, and I want to help. You are a heavy drinker, and sometimes, it worries me a little. But those are situations, circumstances in your life over which you have no control.” What in Celestia’s name... where is all this coming from? “Who you are, Berry, is a much different matter. I’ve seen the way you act with Ruby, and it’s... it’s the kind of love I never recieved at home. You’re kind, fun-loving, and cheerful. And, I think you’re be... beau...” Oh, come on! Of all the times for my articulation to cut out. “Pretty.” Oh, nice save. Berry said nothing and walked out of the kitchen. “Great, I blew it.”

He finished preparing the salad as fast as possible, and he felt a wave of nausea hit as he saw Berry sitting back at the counter on the bar side, staring intently at the rose. He slid the bowl in front of her and turned to leave when a hoof caught his tail.

“Snow, why... haven’t you said anything before?”

“I just figured you and Lemon were a sure thing. You two seemed to really be hitting it off. Well, that and I’m a goof. Immature. Young. A slacker... Not exactly the most desirable traits for a stallion,” he said with a bitter chuckle. “And... as far as any pegasus is concerned, I’m damaged goods. I can’t even say my wings are just for show.” Perhaps she wanted pity. Perhaps she was just unstable from Lemon’s departure. There were many possibilities that drove her actions, but above all else, there was something there. A spark, just a catalyst, but enough to bid Berry rise, looking intently into Snowdrift’s eyes and searching the truth of his words.

“Did you really... mean everything you just said?” Whether he’s trying to or not, he’s looking right past everything that stops other ponies cold. I really feel... like he’s looking at me, and not my life. Snowdrift nodded, shakily but unhesitating, reaffirming that he was being honest with her. He closed his eyes as Berry leaned in close, trembling as he did the same, their lips meeting gently and causing a similar sensation to the fiery schnapps that Silver had created. Snowdrift felt the twinge in his wings and pulled away, screwing his eyes shut as he waited for the stabbing sensation to come.

“Snowdrift, are you ok?” He looks like he’s in terrible pain... Berry took a step back, afraid that she had somehow been the source, but as he realized it wasn’t nearly as bad as he was expecting, he eased Berry’s worries with a relieved chuckle. His breathing returned to normal while his wings slowly stretched out for the first time in several years, bringing only a dull throb and nothing more. He trotted back over and stopped in front of the mare, glancing sheepishly at his hooves as he made his request.

“Um... can we, maybe, try that again?”


At Silver’s behest, Rainbow Dash agreed to try and coax something, anything out of Applejack that might possibly shed some light on the situation, but her questions were temporarily abandoned as she saw her earth pony friend leaving Carousel Boutique. Rarity had again worked her mane magic, doing her hair up like she had for Shining Armor’s wedding. Given the circumstances, it seemed quite out of place, but perhaps it was cause to hope as well.

“Applejack? Hey, do you have a minute?”

“Well, actually, I’m kind of...”

“Great, glad to hear it. Listen, Applejack, you’re really freaking out Silver.”

“Ah know.”

“Then why aren’t you...”

“It’s complicated.”

“Duh, love is complicated. That’s no excuse.”

“Rainbow Dash, ah’m gonna talk to ‘im tonight, so if that’s what this is about then stop worryin’.”

“That’s awesome! Saves me from having to give you a lecture. He asked me to have you meet him at the tavern around eight, so don’t be late! Anything I can do to help, though?”

“No, ah think... this is just somethin’ ah have to work out mahself.”


Seconds felt like minutes, minutes felt like hours, and time as whole seemed to have slowed to a trickle. Silver glanced at the clock, now just after eight, feeling little desire to prepare anything to eat. Not even the thought of experimentation could alleviate the anxiety that was slowly sinking its fangs deeper into his heart, each passing moment nudging his doubts that Rainbow Dash was unable to coax her into coming that night. Berry, who was there consistently every night, had chosen that night, of all nights, not to be around, leaving the tavern, for the first time since its construction, completely empty.

The resounding knock coming from downstairs echoed through the tavern, lingering in his ears as a sudden nervousness took hold. Silver rose, slowly making his way downstairs, wondering if tonight would be the night their relationship was repaired or abandoned. But as he opened the door, such thoughts were wiped away; there was no way he could ever let go. It wasn’t because the mare shuffling nervously from hoof to hoof was, beyond a doubt, the most physically beautiful pony he had ever seen. There was something much deeper at work, and seeing her again, standing before him after what felt like weeks, he simply knew there was nopony else.

“Applejack, I... it’s great to see you.”

“Silver, ah... ah’m sorry fer bein’ so...” she began before being wrapped in a firm embrace.

“I’m just glad you’re here. Thank you for coming, Applejack.” With great reluctance, he released her and stood back, preparing to continue before a rather large gurgle from his stomach broke what remained of tension. He was grateful at that moment that he had refrained from eating, as his delay had brought a smile to Applejack’s face.

“Now, don’t go starvin’ yerself on my account, sugarcube.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it, sweetheart. Might I interest you in some dinner?”

“Actually, now that yer gut mentioned it, ah’m right famished.” Applejack wasn’t about to shove the task on Silver alone, turning the menial task into mutually jovial experience, as they talked and laughed the most they had since the “Bad Mare Day,” as they came to call it. Silver was convinced, despite numerous denials, that Applejack had somehow used magic on the apple pie she turned out, as even after a full meal he managed to down half of it in an unprecedented display of gluttony.

Them lucky apples... wish ah could be a pie. Dangit, no, stop that. Ah’m doin’ so good. “Uh... so, do you... ‘ave anythin’ planned for this evenin’?” Silver cleaned his face with a napkin and turned to her with a knowing grin.

“Well, actually there are two things. One is pleasant, the other... well, let’s just get that out of the way first,” he said with a sigh. Applejack met his serious eyes with her own, knowing what was coming even as he took a deep breath. “Applejack, something is wrong, and we both know it. Please, can you just tell me what’s going on? I want... you to feel you can be honest with me, about anything. You can trust me, Applejack.”

“But... but ah don’t want you t’ think ah’m shallow...” Ah can’t hold it in, anymore. Ah gotta speak. Silver sat quietly as she explained her struggle, her fear, and her deep seated desire to make her father proud. “Ah went about it all wrong, Silver, ah know ah should ‘ave said somethin’ sooner. Can ya fergive me?” Silver rose to his hooves, trotting around the table and plopping down beside her as he placed a hoof over hers.

“For being the Element of Honesty, you sure can be stubborn putting out the truth. I ain’t that scary, am I?” Her genuine laughter filled his heart with warmth, and he readily embraced her as she leaned her head against his chest. They sat there for a while, simply enjoying one another’s presence. “Applejack, the other thing I wanted to share,” he began again, pulling away, “is something that I made special for the two of us. Now, I know you’re fairly scrutinizing when it comes to cider, but what I’ve been working on is my field of expertise. It’s an experiment too, and...”

“Would you stop blabbin’ and makin’ me all curious? Tell me what it is an’ pour me some!” she laughed, shoving him lightly.

“As the lady wishes,” he replied, standing and trotting over to the store room before returning with an oaken cask like any other. “I’ve put a lot of time into this, and it’s magical enough without my help. Applejack, I present to you the very first batch of Zap Apple Moonshine.”