• Published 4th Apr 2012
  • 2,626 Views, 86 Comments

Ponyville Dashers - AimBot



An innocent tale involving "you" and Scootaloo, on the Ponyville Dashers hoof-ball team.

  • ...
1
 86
 2,626

Nostalgia?

Note: I'm trying out a new format... Tell me whether I should keep it or not. P.S. - Sorry about the slow updates and short chapter, things haven't been going my way the past week.


"Really?" She asks, perking her head up and smiling warmly at you. "Thanks!"

You give her a nervous smile. But from a couple years of experience, you doubt the smile seems nervous from the outside. You've always been good at hiding stuff like that. You nod meekly, and begin to trot over towards the bleachers, where Vinyl and Octavia were having fits, of laughter - or perhaps spasms. Either would've described the scene nicely.

"Hey!" You interrupt, sending them a sharp and short whistle. "We have company!"

You glared at Vinyl in particular. She had the tendency to embarrass you in front of new friends, and this was a brand new opportunity for her, especially considering that she... Well, knew. Vinyl put her hooves up innocently. The two of you had a quick, non-verbal conversation. Ending with both of you silently snorting at each other and looking away.

"Uh..." Octavia and Scootaloo stutter simultaneously, glancing at each other. "Is something going on?"

"No!" You and Vinyl snort at the same moment. "Stop that!"

Both of you glare at each other. Vinyl blows a lock of her mane out of her face, and starts walking. Octavia follows her. You take after them, lagging behind a few feet. Scootaloo walks next to you.

"Uh, everything alright?" Scootaloo asks.

"Yeah. We just..." You begin, looking for the words. "We get under each other's skin a lot. We'll be over it in two days, tops."

"You sure?" She persists, "She looks pretty steamed."

"She's fine. Vinyl's a drama queen!" You emphasize the last phrase just to get under her skin again.

Vinyl turns her head to look at you, and sticks her tongue out before she keeps walking forward. You stick your tongue out at her and shake your head the moment she's not looking, which provides a few giggles from Scootaloo. You close your mouth again, and you can feel your cheeks getting hot.


The four of you walk in relative silence, spare a few exaggerated sighs from Vinyl. You can tell Octavia is rolling her eyes at Vinyl, and the two have a quick, silent conversation. You only overhear a few words, but you can't manage to piece anything together from it. Vinyl glances back at you and Scootaloo, before she smiles at you both. Her signature shades slide down her snout, and she winks at you. She couldn't have made it anymore obvious, it seemed.

"What was that all about?" Scootaloo glanced at you with a raised eyebrow.

The knot in your stomach comes back, at least twofold. You choke on your own words, but it seems though she didn't notice. You pause for a moment, and then slow your pace. Vinyl and Octavia get at least ten paces ahead, and you turn back to Scootaloo as you start walking again.

"Er..." You begin, quickly glancing around. "Nothing. Vinyl's just... weird like that..."

"Yeah," she replies, stifling a giggle, "I know what you mean. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle say their sisters always do weird stuff, too."

You nod at her with a small smile, and pick up the pace a little, to keep Vinyl and Octavia from disappearing from your sight. With just a few minutes more in silence, you all find yourselves at the front door of your home. Vinyl, obviously eager to get inside, unlocked the door and threw it open. You can practically hear the wood under the hinges groan from the stress.

Vinyl turn to the three of you, and grins. "Home sweet home. Come on in."

Scootaloo took a good look around the moment she set a hoof inside. "Wow. The place looks a lot bigger on the inside." She says, turning to you, "How'd your family afford it?"

The questions comes as a bit of shocker to you. Honestly, of all the things she could've asked you, and of all the questions you were prepping to answer, such as "That's a neat table, where'd it come from?", or "Fancy fridge, what brand is it?", that question wasn't exactly in the list. You take a moment to think.

"My mom is a successful business-mare," You begin, somewhat nervously. "So, we're pretty well off."

"Speaking of your mother," Scootaloo begins quizzically, "Why haven't I seen her around town? You and your sister look a lot alike, so, does she look like either of you?"

You shake your head. "She's usually out on business, in Canterlot or Manehattan."

"Oh..." She begins, nodding as if she's confirming your answer for herself. "Alright then."

"Was that mare I saw at your house your mom?" You ask, attempting to do something the adults called "Small-Talk".

Scootaloo nods. "Yeah. I have an older brother, but he's in the Royal Guard."

You feel a spark inside. The Royal Guard? You've always loved the Royal Guard, how cool their armor is, how the other ponies give them the utmost respect. You always had a small idea of joining them when you grew up, but you weren't the most physical colt, and everypony knew it. Besides, Vinyl had already planned out a career for you. Or so she says.

Both Vinyl and Octavia produce the most annoying sound any foal has ever heard, the dreaded "D'awww!" They turn to each other and smile.

"Remember when we were foals, Octi?" Vinyl said, smiling at you and Scootaloo.

"Yes... I also remember when you got pudding in my mane." Octavia shot back, raising an eyebrow at Vinyl, most likely an attempt to instill some form of guilt. Knowing Vinyl, it wouldn't work.

"Yeah... Good times, those were. Seeing them makes me feel nostalgic." Vinyl replies.

You and Scootaloo exchange confused glances, and she speaks up first, "What's 'nostalgic'?"

Both Vinyl and Octavia looks as if the question had caught them off-guard. They turned to each other, and whispered a few inaudible sentences. A moment later, they turned back.

"Nostalgic, is when you feel something called 'Nostalgia'." Octavia explained.

"Nostalgia?" Both Scootaloo and you blurt at the same time.

Vinyl stepped forward, "Nostalgia is when you remember something that happened a long time ago, something good that happened a long time ago."

Scootaloo looks at you, and shrugged. You return the shrug. A moment later, Vinyl ushers you both to the stairs. Scootaloo, seemingly excited to explore your abode, runs up the stairs. You, however, look at Vinyl with a raised eyebrow.

"Let the grown-ups talk." She says, shooing you up the stairs.

You stick your tongue out at Vinyl as she begins walking away, and make your way up the stairs. As you near the top steps, you see Scootaloo poke her head out from behind the wooden doorway, with a raised eyebrow.

"Sorry." You apologize, rubbing the back of your head. "I had to talk to Vinyl for a sec."

You lead Scootaloo into your room, and glance around for something to do. Not much, really. You were highly doubtful she wanted to play with action-figures, reading was something that wasn't that appeasing at the moment, and you didn't have much else to do. Then, an idea flicked into your mind.

You pace over to the stairs again, and listen carefully. Scootaloo follows you, and she opens her mouth to speak. You raise a hoof, and motion for her to stop and listen. She does, and the two of your overhear Vinyl and Octavia speaking about something involving... pudding, maybe? Either way, they're preoccupied. You go back into your room, and ducked under your bed. When you emerge again, you push a small cardboard box out alongside you.

Scootaloo's interest seemed to have piqued, and she eagerly awaited for you to open the box. Before you do so, you look around and nod.

"What belongs in this box stays between you and me." You say in a serious tone. Scootaloo nods enthusiastically.

You lift the lid, and reveal your stash of some of the most delicious sweets in Ponyville. Sour Bombers, Tangy Tarts, Peanut-Chocolate bars, peanut-butter cups, almost any kind of candy somepony could think of, you had in that box.

You levitate a candy bar over to Scootaloo, and take one for yourself. Scootaloo eagerly digs into the chocolate bar, while you pause, and listen. You can't hear anypony talking downstairs. After a moment of listening, you decide it's safe. You unwrap the candy, and take a bite. After a moment of savoring, you can hear the door slam from downstairs. You freeze up, and your eyes flick towards Scootaloo. She hasn't even noticed yet. Before you can react, you hear Vinyl's hooves coming up the stairs. The moment you move to put the box back, Vinyl was in your doorway.

"Well, well, well..." Vinyl began, grinning at you. "What have we here?"

"Uh..." You begin, attempting to think up a legitimate excuse. You failed. "What's the price?"

"Let me see here..." Vinyl began, rummaging through your stash. She removed a small package of sour gummy candy and a chocolate. "I don't think mom would really want to hear about this..."

"Yeah, yeah. Just go." You say, planting your hoof onto your forehead.

Vinyl walks away, munching on the candy bar. You slide your stash-box back under your bed, and finish off the candy bar. Scootaloo had finished hers halfway through your conversation with Vinyl. There was a ring of chocolate staining her mouth. She didn't seem to notice.

"Uh..." You begin, waving your hoof around your mouth, "You got a little... something..."

Scootaloo licks her lips, and realizes what you're talking about. She becomes flushed as she quickly wipes the chocolate away. You manage to stifle a chuckle, imagining it would be rude to laugh. A moment later, she glances out the window, and a look of panic crosses her face.

"Oh crud!" She said suddenly, "It's raining! I need to get home!" She rushes out of the room, and downstairs.

You follow Scootaloo quickly, and find her at the front door, talking with Vinyl. You quickly approach the two, and join in on the conversation.

"You going already?" Vinyl asked, raising an eyebrow under her shades.

"Yes," Scootaloo replied, "It's raining, and my mom will be worried if I don't come back quick. I really need to go!"

"Squirt," Vinyl says, turning to you. "Walk your guest home."

Scootaloo turns around, and looked at your kind of funny. "Oh, you don't need to..." She begins, blushing.

"Oh..." Vinyl drags out, "He insists!"

Vinyl opens the door, and you see exactly how hard it was raining. Small splashes of mud seemed to be flung up with each drop that fell. Your eyes widened as you saw the ponies running for cover, half of which were covered in mud. Vinyl shoved you out the door, and Scootaloo followed. The door slams behind you. You take a deep breath, and step out from under the cover of the arched doorway.