• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 530 Views, 19 Comments

Taking Pen from Paper - Suke



Just as one story is about to end, another is written in its place. A mare in black must move quickly to preserve the multiverse, as a writer with incredible sway over all known realities begins to act outside of his given parameters.

  • ...
1
 19
 530

Inevitability

Many weeks had gone by since the loss of Ponyville. Canterlot was all that remained, the rest of Equestria and lands beyond lying in ruin. The city was forced to grow thanks to the intake of refugees. Any differences were put aside, with changelings, griffins, diamond dogs, dragons and so on, living together for the sake of survival.

The massive shield protecting the city from the surrounding ruination was a feat of magical ingenuity, being the combination of unicorn, alicorn and changeling magic, zebrican potions, Discord’s chaotic abilities and much more. Even the griffins contributed with some gem related engineering no other species knew about.

The multiple species worked side by side to create more homes, and somehow make the city self reliant. Shielded excursions out of the city were extremely risky, and over time, became less and less fruitful. As it was now, Canterlot could manage, but only just.

Were the situation less futile, the survivors of Canterlot would be prideful of the collaboration happening around them. Not even the two outsiders could see the beauty, the ugly truth being far more eye catching.

Speeding Bullet sat in the city park. The stallion’s leg had healed, but there wasn’t much use for a runner in Canterlot nowadays. So instead, he volunteered for child minding, watching over orphans and children whose parents were too busy. His travelling companion, Cliff Jumper, was likely with at least one of the many parents, putting her climbing talent to good use building and repairing.

As pups played with foals, larvae with chicks, Speed recalled the initial arrival in Canterlot, having fled Ponyville.


The six ponies teleported into Canterlot Castle’s throne room and the shield was dropped. Shining Armour collapsed, nearly drained of all his energy. Two guards galloped in and took him away to be looked at. The two princesses moved to their thrones, sitting down and looking upon the remaining three.

“We,” started Luna, speaking normally, “are sorry for your loss, Sir Chrome.”

Omni, his armour scratched and beaten, bowed.

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

Celestia then said, “I suggest we drop formalities, as it will only hinder us, and time is clearly not on our side.” Everypony present nodded their agreement, moods darkened. “First off, we must know: what of Twilight?”

Cliff and Speed shared looks of guilt, before the mare answered for both of them, “She’s dead, Celestia. She went into the ruination and turned to dust. I wish I could say it had been quick and painless…”

Both Luna and Celestia shed silent tears. The other three joined in, for the sight of an alicorn crying was cause to cry, too. It was truly a sad day for Equestria.

Bullet broke the mournful silence, “I saw something else before Twilight passed.” He looked to Cliff. “There was another you. She was panicking like the rest of Ponyville, but then this mulberry coloured mare found her and they vanished before my eyes.”

Celestia smiled faintly, saying, “Ah, Berry Punch. She has gone to see if she can’t alter past events to fix the situation. I wish her luck.”

Luna looked at the Cliff Jumper before her, puzzled.

“If the mare who left with Berry was Cliff, who is this?”

The mare in question replied, “I am from an alternate reality. So’s Speed here.”

“My apologies, princesses,” Omni cut in. “These two are Speeding Bullet and Cliff Jumper. While battling La Poney as planned, the train proceeded through a tunnel and it briefly entered their reality. Certain circumstances lead to their being forced to board the train, which then returned here.”

“We’re so sorry, Omni, princesses. If we hadn’t got on that train, La Poney would have been defeated and none of this would be happening,” Bullet apologised.

“Omni just explained that you had no choice in the matter,” Celestia explained. “One cannot be blamed for the acts of ka.”

Cliff nearly choked on air.

“Something the matter, Cliff?”

“Did you just say ka?”

“Ka? No, I said fate.”

Omni frowned, commenting, “I beg your pardon Celestia, but I also heard ka.”

“Me, too,” added Bullet.

Celestia looked at Luna. “Sister?”

“I heard you say fate. What is ka?”

Everypony turned to Cliff, who shrugged, “I don’t know, but someone has said it before. It just surprised me when I thought you said it.”

“Fair enough… Anyway, moving on. We must warn—”

The entire castle shook as a humongous crash was heard elsewhere. A guard soon came galloping inside.

“Princesses! The strange air from Ponyville! It’s appearing out of other towns! Not only that, but the speed they’re spreading at is increasing!”

“By the gates of Tartarus!” exclaimed Luna.

Celestia began to give orders, “Guardscolt! Give the order to get everypony into Canterlot.”

The guard wasted no time with a salute when he left.

“Omni! Gather the Solar Eclipse Corps and fill them in as quickly as possible. You are temporarily promoted to Corps Commander. I want a SEC pony at every inflicted location. Find La Poney!”

“Oui madame!”

Omni was gone like the wind.

“Luna, organise the shielding division.”

Celestia hadn’t even needed to say it, Luna teleporting away before the sentence was finished.

Sighing, Celestia muttered, “If only this was just another changeling attack… the division isn’t prepared for this.”

“What can we do, Celestia?” Cliff asked.

“I do not know, Cliff. Do you have any experience with these Everto from your world?”

The mare thought on this. She knew of them from her life with the Mycrosia Multonian’s curse. In fact, she may have read about them before that even took effect. Even with this knowledge, Cliff had no idea how she or Bullet could help in the fight.

Regrettably, she admitted, “No.”

“Then I am sorry to say you are better off keeping out of harm’s way. Now I must be off to inform Shining of his dear sister’s passing.”

“Allow us, Celestia,” offered Bullet.

With but a moments pause, Celestia nodded and teleported elsewhere. Cliff and Speed left the room in silence, searching for wherever Shining Armour had been taken. They found him resting in a spare bedroom, alone.

Cliff made the stallion aware of their presence, “Captain Armour, sir?”

“Oh, hello. I’m sorry, but I never got your names.”

“I’m Cliff Jumper,sir, and this is Speeding Bullet.”

Speed waved awkwardly.

“Well I wish we could have met in better circumstances, Miss Jumper, Mister Bullet. Did you want something?”

For a while, nopony spoke, confusing Shining.

Eventually, Speed broke the silence, “Um, Captain Armour… we’re sorry to have to tell you this… but your sister… Twilight… she died in Ponyville.”

“W-What?”

Cliff explained, “She insisted on helping Omni, saying that being an alicorn would protect her from the effects of the Everto’s ruination. She got by us and… well…”

“My little… My little Twiley’s… she’s gone?”

“We tried to stop her,” added Speed. “We really did.”

“I can’t believe it… so soon…”

Cliff offered, “If there’s anything we can do to help, please tell us.”

“... No. There’s nothing anypony can do for her now, except beat these things. It’s what she’d want. It’s my duty as a Captain. We shall win this fight, and we shall live on!”

Shining jumped out of bed, his energy returned. The two earth ponies moved out of the way, allowing the soldier march off with renewed vigour.


The following weeks were hard on everyone. Of the Equestrian lands and protectorates, the Crystal Empire fell last, taking Princess Cadence with it. Then came the dragon refugees, their homes in the Badlands uninhabitable. The other species shortly followed. Even with the extensions, Canterlot was overcrowded. Many folks intentionally left the shield’s protection, preferring eternal rest over the torment of living.

Speed looked around, noting empty spaces where there used to be others. Rainbow no longer flew overhead, using her rainbow trail to inspire hope. Spike was absent, having formerly been another child minder. Pinkie’s ‘Neverending Party in the Park’ was now just one straight-maned mare in a room with inanimate objects.

Not even Fluttershy, who cared so much for the park’s animals, could muster the effort to come out. Losing Twilight had been hard on them, but when Rarity’s name appeared on the list of suicides, nothing felt worthwhile anymore. Why try to be happy when something was inevitably going to come along and depress you all over again?

Another child minding volunteer came along and thanked Speed, taking the little ones back to their respective homes. Speed smiled, got up and headed to his own temporary residence in Canterlot Castle. As one might expect, the place was opened up for refugees like everywhere else.

The stallion couldn’t help but overhear others while he walked:

“Heat Wave crossed the line yesterday. Poor soul.”

“You’ve run out of bread?! How am I supposed to feed my family?!”

“The end is nigh! Repent!”

“Have you heard? Celestia had a secret division of guards for dealing with the things out there and never told us.”

“Some drunk mare said she was part of this Solar Eclipse Corps.”

“There’s this rumour that a guard member caused this whole thing.”

“If this Crum guy is still around, he’s gonna have a lot of enemies in Canterlot.”

Finally reaching his destination, Bullet had become very concerned. Ignoring all other distractions, he marched through the castle. He passed Applejack, who was coming out of Rainbow’s room. The farm mare was the only Equestrian hero who still tried to find a reason to be happy. That said, her expression was currently fearful.

“Bullet. Glad you’re here. Rainbow’s getting worse. I’m worried she might cross the line. I know how you got special feelings for her, so maybe you can do something for her?”

It was true that Bullet felt something for this Rainbow Dash, but she was not his Rainbow Dash. He was sure his Rainbow would keep soldiering on, even as things were. And, although he hated to admit it, Bullet’s obsession had dulled as of late. He still thought she was an amazing mare, but something had changed. Likely it was the fact his Rainbow was engaged now.

“I doubt I can do any better, AJ. Besides, I need to find somepony else right now. Just keep trying, okay? If all else fails, I’ll catch her before she does anything stupid, promise.”

With that, Speed continued his search. Cliff, returned from a day of construction, spotted him and walked at his side. Seeing his determined yet worried expression, she just stayed quiet, waiting to see what he was doing. Eventually, they found Omni Chrome conversing with another guard.

Ignoring their conversation, Speed spoke up, “Sorry to interrupt, Omni, but we need to talk. It’s urgent.”

Omni bid the nameless guard farewell and turned his tired eyes to his fellow other-worlders.

“What is it? I am very busy, as you should know.”

“Somepony’s been spreading rumours about you.”

“Oh?” Cliff and Omni said in unison.

“From what I’ve heard, some mare got drunk, revealed the existence of SEC and mentioned a member called Crum who was responsible for the state of things.”

Omni raised an eyebrow, “Crum?”

“Yes. I remember La Poney calling you Crum back in Ponyville. She can pretend to look like a real pony, can’t she?”

“You were right. This really is urgent. La Poney has managed to enter Canterlot!”

Omni took flight and flew down the corridor. Cliff and Speed made to follow, but AJ came galloping from the other end, calling Speed’s name.

“Speed! There you are! Rainbow’s gone! You have to hel—”

The stallion was already gone, making his way to the nearest exit.


“Dammit, Rainbow, slow down! You don’t have to do this!”

Speeding Bullet was just about managing to keep up with Rainbow Dash. Thankfully, the mare had visited Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, bidding them farewell. This had meant Speed was able to catch up with her. Now, Rainbow raced for the shield’s edge. It was a small mercy that she did not think to fly directly upwards.

“I know! I want to do this! I can’t take it anymore!”

Many ponies watched them go by, the shouting creating quite a scene. Even if he did manage to stop Rainbow, Speed couldn’t stop more ponies losing hope entirely. He still had to try, though, and so he put on more speed. Slowly but surely, he gained on the pegasus.

“Think about everyone else! The Element of Loyalty deserting Equestria in a time of need! Don’t do this to them!”

Rainbow slowed a little, the stallion’s words sinking in.

“It’s too late now! Everyone’s seen us! Heard us!”

“If it was that easy to beat them, we wouldn’t be here!”

She slowed much more drastically, causing Speed to overtake. He began to skid to a halt. Just in time too, as any further and he would have passed right through the shield. Then, out of nowhere, something stuck out across the ground, tripping Speed. He tumbled along, not slowing down enough. Speeding Bullet crossed the line.

Nothing happened. A magical force halted the earth pony’s tumbling and pulled him back through. He was put down at Shining Armour’s hooves, who let out a sigh of relief. Rainbow Dash landed next to Speed and helped him up. She then hugged him tightly.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’ve heard enough apologies to last me a lifetime.”

“Okay.”

The hug ended and the nearby crowd of onlookers cheered. They always did this when a line crossing was prevented. However, the moment didn’t last long. A black tendril, which Speed recognised as what tripped him up, punctured Shining Armour’s neck. Before he could die from suffocation, Shining was thrown out of the shield’s protection and became dust.

As the crowds ran away screaming, La Poney came out of the shadows, beaming excitedly.

“Heeeeeeeeeeeere’s Poney!” she yelled.

Speed stood between Rainbow and the uninvited guest.

“So brave for a stallion who almost died a second ago. Rather pointless gesture, I’m afraid. I brought friends.”

Rainbow tried to scream but choked on something. About turning, Speed nearly didn’t see something finish entering a horror struck Rainbow’s mouth. Her eyes rolled back as she collapsed, spasming.

“You’re next, lover boy.”

Knowing it was too late for the pegasus, Bullet just ran. He ran so fast that the crowds blocking his way were knocked aside. As with Rainbow, it was too late for every living thing in the world. He had to make it to Cliff, and then, they were getting the heck outta dodge.


Everto appeared out of every shadow, killing or taking over ex-survivors everywhere. From high up in the throne room, Celestia, Luna, Omni and Cliff watched everything come to an end. Many guards stood or hovered ready at the great doors.

Celestia turned away from the carnage.

“Dear sister, with our time coming to an end, I ask once more for your forgiveness. A thousand years on the Moon, and it all comes down to this, not even a decade later.”

Luna smiled and embraced her sister. “Of course, sister. Besides, we could not have avoided this. It was ka’s will.”

‘Again with that word,’ Cliff thought.

“I can take us to another world,” Omni announced.

Celestia shook her head. “We know you can, Sir Chrome, but we cannot leave our kingdom to die.”

The bat pony muttered, “Just like last time…”

Cliff cautiously said, “Erm… well… Speed and I could do with a lift back to where we were before that train.”

“Would you do that for them, Omni? Take them back?”

“I will not leave while there is still someone to protect.”

“How very noble of you, Monsieur Crum.”

A shadow on the seat of Celestia’s throne stretched up, forming La Poney. Many guards charged, but Luna raised a commanding hoof, ordering them to cease.

“Wise move, Princess Luna. Pity there’s no point to surrendering with us. Everto do not allow surrender.”

The great double doors of the throne room flew off their hinges, crushing many a guard. Where the doors had been, there stood Applejack, who’d evidently bucked the doors. She bore the same tendrils as La Poney. An army of Everto and possessed ex-survivors stood behind her.

Before anypony could react, a rainbow coloured blur smashed through window after window, the winged guards disappearing as the blur tackled them outside, one after another. At the same time, Pinkie Pie appeared amongst the last of the ground force, her tendrils making short work of them.

Once all the guards were defeated, Rainbow Dash landed by Pinkie, Applejack trotting forward to join them. A quick glance out the broken windows revealed the throne room to be surrounded by the airworthy possessed.

“I would have to say, dear princesses, that this is game, set and… wait for it…”


Down in the depths below Canterlot, Discord was alone. Mere moments earlier, this had not been the case. He once had the company of the changelings. It was he who saved them from the ruination, after their Queen turned to dust before their very eyes. Eternally grateful, it had been their idea to use caverns beneath Canterlot as their home. This spared the ponies from having to live alongside those that attacked them only a couple of years earlier.

The underground caverns were also home to the shield’s source of energy. The griffins had discovered that some gems could store magic for later use. As such, when what was left of the species joined the rest of the refugees, they made a device that could take all the shield magic and use it at a steady rate. It removed the problem of magically exhausting the shield providers.

Only a select few knew of the device, and the changelings were tasked with guarding it while they lived in the caverns. Discord was fond of the changelings, since they’d turned over new leaves just like him. He was visiting them when the Everto attacked. Sensing the disturbance above ground, Discord remained with the changelings to act as a last line of defence for the device.

Changelings lay all over the place, dead, and not necessarily in single pieces. The culprit walked through the field of corpses. She smiled at Discord.

“F-Fluttershy… What happened to you?”

“What’s the matter, Discord, friend? Aren’t you happy to see me? Aren’t you proud of how outgoing I’ve become?”

“I… I… I…”

Discord slumped, not knowing what to do.

“It’s okay, Discord. Don’t fret. Sweet little Fluttershy’s just going to break that silly thing behind you, and then we can have one of those tea parties you really like.”

Discord straightened up, taking a hesitant position directly between pegasus and device.

“I… I can’t let you. You’re not sweet little Fluttershy anymore.”

The thing that used to be Fluttershy froze, her expression becoming highly upset. Tears gathered in her eyes.

“Y-You d-d-don’t l-like me any m-more?”

“Oh, Fluttershy, I’m so sorry!”

Discord moved to hug his friend, only to be penetrated several times through the chest with tendrils.

“But… my magic…” he said as he fell forward.

“Stupid creature. We Everto are from beyond this world. Your Chaos has no power over us.”

After watching the life leave Discord’s eyes, the possessed Fluttershy gently flew over to the device. Her tendrils reached out and wrapped around it. Slowly, the device was covered in dark essence.


Outside, the shield began to turn black, as if somepony had spilt ink over it.

“There we go. And that’s match. You lose, ponies. Your heroes are now ours, as are many of your subjects and allies. Any last words before you join our ranks?”

Celestia opened her mouth to speak, but a commotion was heard from beyond the corridor outside the throne room.

“Excuse me! Pardon me! Out the way! Not sorry! Never liked you anyway! Move it!”

Accompanying the voice were the frequent screams of defeated Everto. Speeding Bullet slid into view, then zoomed over to his friends, running through the possessed Equestrian heroes. Rainbow flew out of the way, and Pinkie hopped, but Applejack was knocked flying. She exploded with a screech when she hit a wall.

“Phew! Made it!”

Coming to a complete stop, Speed went to pat Omni, the closest to him, on the back. His hoof went right through the bat pony, who wasn’t really there. The real Omni leapt from his hiding place at La Poney, from behind. Three tendrils formed a single sharp point which skewered one of Omni’s forehoof. The soldier was now pinned to Celestia’s throne, hanging by his hoof.

“Seriously, Monsieur Crum? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now, where were we? Oh yes, your last words. Probably some majestic speech about never really dying or something.”

Celestia shook her head.

“No. We have suffered an utter defeat. We will die. Should you continue to attack other Equestrias, however, you will lose. It is the way of the Multiverse. There is a reality where we won, and one day, you will be there. I take pride in this knowledge, with the hopes that my magic is the magic that ends your pathetic existence.”

La Poney burst out laughing. After a short moment of that, the laughter died and it wiped a fake tear from its eyes.

“That’s priceless. Didn’t you know, Celly? We Everto do not abide by the way of the Multiverse. Our whole thing is messing up the Multiverse. Stupid mare. A waste of a speech if you ask me.”

With a smile, Celestia replied, “There was once something Sir Chrome told me in a previously dire situation: ‘It is not over until the fat lady sings.’”

“Are you calling me fat?”

A gigantic claw slashed right through La Poney, decapitating it and dicing up its body. As the head rolled, its eyes searched for the slayer. Omni hovered mere inches behind where La Poney had been. One foreleg was missing its lower half, the other foreleg reverting from being a claw. The skewered forehoof still resided where La Poney had put it.

“You would have been a great Everto, Monsieur Chrome.”

The pieces of La Poney’s body began to turn into wispy smoke which then dissipated. The tendrils holding up the hoof vanished, allowing Omni to re-attach it. With the head being the only thing left, it kept rolling, eventually bumping into Pinkie Pie.

“What are you waiting for!? GET THEM!”

And with that, the head disappeared. The hordes of Everto charged forward. The shield, completely blackened, shattered. Princess Luna cast her own shield around everypony left, except Omni. The bat pony fought his way into the shield, as Celestia fired scorching beams of magic to assist.

Upon Omni’s entry into the shield’s protection, Luna demanded, “Sir Chrome, this is no longer a request but an order. You are to take these two ponies back from whence they came. From there, you are never to return. Other than that, you are relieved from duty indefinitely. You have served us well, Omni Chrome, and we wish you the best in your continued life.”

Omni looked between the two princesses. Having ceased firing upon the enemy, Celestia turned to face the three ponies.

“Cliff, Speed… Take care of him for us. Can you promise us that?”

“Yes ma’am,” they said in unison, saluting.

This act made the princesses chuckle.

“Now go!”

They turned away, horns lighting up. Half-heartedly, Omni raised a hoof, and where he held it, a tear appeared in the fabric of reality. It opened up wide enough to step through. Cliff and Speed went through, followed by Omni. The tear sealed back up and vanished.

“Sister,” Luna said. “Shall we?”

“We shall.”

Celestia and Luna began to sing a tune from their childhood, harmoniously, just as their mother had taught them. Their song, were there anyone left to hear it, would fill hearts with joy and sorrow simultaneously. Listeners would feel satisfied with how they lived, and mourn their losses. They would accept their fates.

Far away, all the stars began to go out, including the Sun. The magic that had created them returned to the pair that cast said magic long ago. Everywhere, where the alicorns had cast magic, that magic stopped whatever it was doing and returned.

With almost all their magic gathered inside them, the princesses of the Sun and the Moon began to glow. Only the pure Everto continued to hammer away at the shield. The possessed seemed to come to their senses, the song having paralysed the possessers. Rainbow and Pinkie hugged one another. Deep down below, Fluttershy hugged Discord’s limp form.

Lastly, the shield retreated into Luna, and as the ruination sank its hungry fangs into the alicorns’ life energies, the last ponies of Equestria exploded. The explosion had such a force that it swallowed up the whole planet. The Everto ruination had turned most to dust on the surface, but the pure, destructive energy of the two alicorns’ suicides caused the entire astral body to crumble into nothingness.

Author's Note:

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Edited by: Superluminous

Proofread by: PandOracle and Drgnwolf