• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 5,658 Views, 246 Comments

Butterflies In Her Tummy - Hivemind



(2nd Person x Fluttershy) A special surprise is about to enter into your life. Sequel to another story.

  • ...
16
 246
 5,658

Part 4

Applejack continued down the long autumn forest pathway that lead back to Ponyville, alone and with several questions on her mind. She allowed Winona to run ahead of her so she could have some peace and quiet to think. It was only until a few minutes later that she noticed that Winona was nowhere to be seen. Applejack quickly assumed that her cherished canine knew her own way home and continued on with her tranquil stroll.

Fragments of her recent conversation with Fluttershy still floated around in her head like swamp water in a glass of water. While Applejack was not one for superstition, she felt as if her own conscious was trying to tell her to take caution in expressing her thoughts and feelings.

“Maybe I should stop worryin’ about it so much.” said Applejack. “It’s Fluttershy’s choice and not mine! She’s married now, it’s her choice, and I’ll sure as hay respect that!” Applejack felt as if she was scolding herself, and she knew for a fact that she was, but after remembering the outcomes of several times before when Granny Smith would scold her for accidentally lying or stretching the truth when she was a filly, she also knew that there were some lessons in life meant to be learned from past experiences.

Unfortunately for her, one of those lessons was about to be broken when Applejack noticed Twilight Sparkle gleefully trotting towards her from the path up ahead.

Oh horseapples, not now. Celestia please not now! Applejack thought to herself while she stepped off to the side opposite of where Twilight was coming from. The lavender bookworm unicorn must have noticed this, for she put on a wide smile and quickened her pace.

Well, so much for trying to avoid conversation. Applejack thought.

“Hey, Applejack!” yelled Twilight, who was now shifting her course and trotting up to meet up the orange cowpony.

C’mon darlin’, nothin’ to worry about. Just say hello, see what she wants, and walk away, nice and easy.

Applejack did her best to hold a casual smile as Twilight stopped in front of her. With her nerves riding high, Applejack figured that a quick how-do-you-do followed by a runaway gallop to safety would prevent her from having to reveal what she was nervously trying to hide, but she soon resented against it as it would go against her good moral values of honesty and trust that was practically guaranteed at birth.

“What’s going on, Applejack?” Twilight asked. Those words alone practically gave the orange cowpony a headache.

“N-nothin’, nothin’ much. Why?” Applejack stammered. Twilight suspiciously raised an eyebrow at her friend’s suspicious behavior. Applejack replaced her sheepish grin, which only succeeded in making her look even more foolish.

“Is there something on your mind, Applejack?” Twilight asked. “I’ve never seen you act like this before.”

“Well, it’s just a little sumthin’ that Fluttershy told me today...” Applejack slowly replied. Her eyes shot open in realization of her folly.

Nice goin’, partner. Reeeal nice. Applejack mentally berated herself.

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t wanna talk about it...”

“Why not? C’mon Applejack, it’s me, Twilight, your best friend! You can trust me.”

Applejack turned away for a moment before turning back to meet Twilight’s pleading gaze and gleaming eyes. She rolled her eyes and blew a hot puff of air through her nose in despise, as rude as it may have been.

Twilight looked a little hurt at first, but her forced frown soon turned upside down with understanding.

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to, but if there is something bothering you, and if you feel like talking about it, I’m here for you.” said Twilight.

Applejack begrudgingly tapped a hoof in the ground, trying to force a slew of bad thoughts from the inner spaces of her mind. Twilight continued to stand there, smiling awkwardly while she held a calm stare.

Applejack couldn’t take it anymore. It was now or never for this honest cowpony, and keeping her troubles bottled up wasn’t going to make her feel any better. She took in a deep breath before releasing it all as one big, pent up sigh of relief before sulkingly turning back to Twilight.

“Well...” she started, “Might as well get it all out in the open ah’ guess. No sense in keepin’ my worries locked up tight inside.” Applejack dropped to her haunches, keeping her head low to the ground. Twilight lowered herself to her haunches too. She patted Applejack’s shoulder out of kindness, making the sullen orange mare lift her head back up to Twilight’s level.

“Ok, here goes...” Applejack sighed while she brushed a stray lock of her hayneedle hair away from her eyes.

“I’m all ears.” Twilight replied. “Just do whatever you need to do to get those feelings off your chest.”

“Alright. Well, do you know how long Fluttershy and her husband have been married for?” Applejack asked.

“Of course! A little under a year if I’m correct. Why?”

“W-well...it’s kind of like a...sort of like a...” Applejack painfully stammered to try and get the words out, but her slightly guilty conscious kept her vocal cords at bay.

“Is something wrong, Applejack?” Twilight worryingly asked.

“Well, I just...doh’ horseapples...” Applejack swiftly turned her head left and right, scanning to make sure that nopony was around. When the coast was clear, she motioned her hoof towards her, beckoning Twilight to come closer. The purple unicorn leaned forward and tilted her left ear towards Applejack’s mouth. After taking one final look around, the embarrassed cowpony let it all out.

Word by word, Applejack spilled the beans about what Fluttershy had told her not even an hour ago. Twilight’s cheeks flared up, blushing with a bright pink hue as her friend spoon-fed her ears the whole story and then some.

~~~~~

Somewhere in the thick bushes nearby, lay a very stubborn, and very frustrated Angel bunny, lying in silence with his tiny pair of field binoculars held up to his eyes and an angry scowl stretched across his fluffy cheeks. Remi stood upright behind him and watched the two mares whisper silently to each other through a small hole in the thicket of pointy leaves. He suspected that Angel could hear what they were saying, because by the time that the two mares pulled away from each other, Angel was practically foaming at the mouth with some form of pent up rage, his teeth noisily grinding together to express it all.

Angel leaped to his feet, threw his binoculars to the ground, and turned to face Remi, his scowl now formed into a sneer of disgust.

Remi smiled sheepishly and moved to pat Angel on the shoulder, but the stubborn bunny refused his gentle pro-offer and instead shoved his brown paw away before moving one of his own tiny arms behind his back and pointing a single finger towards the two mares who were still deep in conversation.

Remi scratched the top of his head in confusion. Angel furiously emphasized his backwards gesture. Clueless, Remi just shrugged his shoulders and let his tiny arms fall limp to his sides.

Like so many times before, Angel slammed a paw against his face, shaking his head from left to right in disapproval. He looked back up at Remi, who only smiled coyly and shrugged his shoulders again. Angel slammed his paw against his face again. This time, it stayed there.

~~~~~

“Well, that’s certainly...something.” said Twilight as her blush continued to hold deep on her face.

Applejack looked as if she was about to fall flat on her face in embarrassment. When it comes to keeping secrets, she was certainly no stranger, but when it came to life-changing, friendship-altering bits of news like the one she had just blubbered out like a dimwit, this was a whole new level of regret.

“Yeah, yeah. Ya’ happy now?” Applejack sighed with disapproval. “Just please don’t go blabberin’ that out to everypony, ok?”

“I don’t think I would want to...” Twilight replied with a blank expression on her face. “Ok, Applejack. I’ll...see you tomorrow, or something...”

“Alright. See ya’ around, Twi’.”

The two mares set off down the road in the same, opposite directions that they had used before, not another word spoken between each other save their goodbyes.

Hoh’ boy. You’ve done it now, Applejack. You aint’ never gonna live this one down...

~~~~~

Angel paced furiously around the hollow center of the bush with his paws behind his back and his head hanging low, fuming with a terrible mix of rage and frustration. Remi stood off to the side of his pacing, worrying for his long-time friend. He stepped forward on several occasions in attempts to state his opinion, but his attempts were met with the front face of a white bunny palm, making him fall back into line as Angel would resume his pacing.

Remi shook his in woe for the state of his friend. With nothing else to do other than to sit and wait for Angel to calm down, he scanned the walls and the roof of the bushes, searching for something interesting to stare at.

His eyes fell upon a darkened, discolored patch of foliage spread out into a deformed circle next to him. He slowly stepped forward and noticed a tiny, oddly-placed protrusion of leaves sticking out of the middle of the discolored patch. Being both curious and cautious, Remi slowly reached forward and lightly tapped on the protrusion, which had a very surprising soft and plushy feel to it.

The entire bush tremored and the ground shook violently, sending both Angel and Remi on their backs to the hard ground. High pitched roars of laughter echoed in their ears as the bush was suddenly uprooted from the ground and tossed aside like it was nothing more than a loose piece of newspaper.

Like something out of a horror film, Angel and Remi looked up to the sky with terror stricken faces at the shadowy figure of a large, four-legged, fuzzy manned creature covered in dirt, cackling like a mad hyena.

Terrified beyond belief, Angel shot up to his feet, slung his binoculars over his head, and speed off down the road towards Fluttershy’s cottage with Remi trailing behind him, kicking up a small cloud of dirt as they went.

~~~~~

“Whoo-hoo! Hahaha! Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever laughed that hard before, haha!” Pinkie Pie’s laughter simmered down a few giggles while she attempted to recover from the outset of her previous prank.

“What’d ya think, guys?” Pinkie Pie asked out loud, her question being met only by a stiff breeze, followed by utter silence. When she heard no other answer, Pinkie turned her head left and right, confused. “Guys? Angel? Remi? Anypony?” Pinkie continued to call out to nothing.

“That’s weird. Never knew that my pranks would be so good that they actually made somepony speechless!” Pinkie Pie shrugged her shoulders. “D’oh well! I’ll look for em’ later! What was that about...Fluttershy and...”

Pinkie Pie’s hyperactive brain finally slowed down for a moment, allowing her thoughts to catch up with the rest of her. Remembering what her ears caught without her noticing while she hid in the bushes just minutes before, she leaped into the air and let out a loud gasp, leaving her lower jaw to hang wide open mid-surprisement.

“I know just what this means!” said Pinkie Pie as she turned and bounced down the side of the road leading to Ponyville.