• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 1,159 Views, 24 Comments

Torchhoof - zzuxon



Twilight is a secret agent. She tells her friends about it, and they meet new friends.

  • ...
0
 24
 1,159

Chapter 2: A Tour of Pre-Duty

CHAPTER 2: Tour of Pre-Duty
“So, you’re taking us to Torchhoof headquarters now?”
“Yes Pinkie. Well, actually we’re taking you to District 1 HQ. Torchhoof splits Equestria into several districts. District 1 contains Canterlot, Manehatten, Cloudsdale, and Ponyville. The location of general HQ is classified, so I can’t tell you where it is.” It was around this time that the 11 ponies rounded a hill and saw a large building, out of place in the surrounding empty fields.
“Headquarters!” Said Live Wire.
“Headquarters.” Said Queenside
“Headquarters!” Said Copper.
“It’s only a model.’ Said Pinkie.
“What?!”
“Nothing Twilight.”
When they arrived at the door, Twilight inserted an ID card from her saddlebag into a slot next to the door. She then spoke into a microphone.
“Agent Twilight Sparkle, with guests. ID serial POU 6474-1-3.” A voice emanated from the speaker.
“Require Confirmation for guests.”
Atom, Copper, and Effect stepped up.
“Agent Atom Insight confirming guests. ID serial CAU 7143-1-4.”
“Agent Copernican Circuit confirming guests. ID serial CLP 3062-1-4.”
“Agent Effect Reaction confirming guests. ID serial MAE 2212-1-3”
“Guests accepted.”
Queenside, Copper, Effect, Atom, and Live Wire all inserted their cards and they entered the building. The front desk was manned by a Pegasus mare, with a red coat and gray mane. Her cutie mark was a simple mask.
“Hello Ms. Façade.”
“Hello Mr. Queenside. I see you have guests.”
“Yes, they are friends of Ms. Sparkle. Their invitations have been approved; Twilight is showing them around to help them make their decision.”
“Well that’s lovely. I can tell you that being a Torchhoof agent has been one of the single most rewarding experiences of my life. If you think you’re up to it, I recommend it.”
”Thank you for your recommendation Ms. Façade.” Said Applejack.
The guests then went on a short tour of the base. They saw several interesting things. Fluttershy was particularly interested in the section of Research & Development that was looking into how animals could be recruited to covertly gather intelligence. They also saw several familiar faces, including Lyra Heartstrings, Ditzy Doo, and even Cranky Doodle Donkey.
“Ooohh! Hi Cranky!”
“Hi Pinkie. You’re an agent of Torchhoof too?”
“Not yet. I’m just taking a preview tour!”
“Well, I wish you all luck on your entrance exam.”
At one point, the tour had to be interrupted. The services of the theory room were required, and Twilight, Atom, and Effect needed to research a hitman working for a large tranquilizer cartel. After they finished that and left the theory room, Live Wire had an idea.
“Twilight! Queenside! Come over here!” Live Wire whispered something in their ear. Queenside nodded in approval, Twilight said “Good idea, Live Wire. Now, Torchhoof agents need to maintain their physical condition and combat skills. You fight other ponies very frequently. So, agents have to train. To hone our magical skills, Queenside and I often spar in a magical duel. Would you like to watch?”
“Oh dear, will either of you get… hurt?”
“Fluttershy, we take precautions not to hurt each other. It’s friendly training!”
“Well, I’d like to see it, it sounds cool,” said Rainbow Dash. Atom Insight confirmed her suspicions.
“Oh, I assure you, it is.”
On their way to the training room, the group recognized another familiar face.
“Zecora?”
“Dear Rarity, and your friends, how good it is to meet again.”
Fluttershy was ini surprised at this occurrence, but soon realized how much sense it made.
“So you’re an agent of Torchhoof too?”
“An agent of Torchhoof I am indeed, I watch the forests of Everfree.”
The 11 arrived at the sparring chamber. Queenside directed the spectators to a viewing area, and after he left, Rarity became concerned.
“Queenside has a prosthetic limb! How’s he going to engage in a duel?”
“He has something figured out.” Copper smiled knowingly. The sparring room was, for the most part, a large empty room, but with interesting architecture on the ceiling. The only other object of interest were some lockers. Twilight went over to one, and pulled out a book. Rainbow Dash practically fell over laughing.
“I thought you liked reading now Dashie.”
“I do, but reading during a battle is just ridiculous.”
The spectators could hear what was being said in the room.
“Queenside, have you animated your leg yet?”
“Not quite, but I’m about to.”
Queenside began casting a spell, and the Elements saw something that surprised them. Queenside had the strangest horn aura they had ever seen. It was black, but somehow luminous at the same time. They couldn’t quite describe it. A stream of magical energy streamed to the bottom of his synthetic leg, and suddenly electricity visibly surged from the leg to his head. He then bent his prosthetic leg.
“Ohmigosh! He just got his leg back! I’m going to throw him a “Get your leg back” party!” Atom had to break some unfortunate news.
“Pinkie, he didn’t actually get his leg back,he just animated it with magic.”
“Well, that’s as good as a real leg, isn’t it?”
“It’s very magically taxing, so he only does it when he needs to.”
“Hey! I think they’re about to start!”
“You’re right Applejack.”
Queenside began to project his voice across the room.
“Five, four, three, two, one, BEGIN!”
Twilight immediately raised a force field, and began reading. A skilled speed-reader, she turned a page every 3 or 4 seconds. And every time she turned a page, magical energy erupted from the open book and into her horn.
“Heh, I love that book.”

She turned towards Queenside and her horn began glowing brightly. A disc formed of magical energy was fired at him. He deftly avoided it, and returned with a wave of telekinetic force. She cancelled it with force of her own. She then fired two missiles at Queenside, who dodged both. However, when he looked up Twilight was pointing the open book at him. A powerful beam of magical energy blasted out of the book. Queenside managed to erect a force field, but even so the sheer force of the attack pushed him and the shield into a wall.
He recovered quickly, and created above him what appeared to be a huge writhing ribbon of magical force. It began to spin in a circle, and in doing so fired several magic missiles at Twilight. She narrowly dodged most of them, but took 2 direct hits. Twilight was briefly stunned by the 2 missiles she had just taken, and Queenside took advantage of the brief opportunity afforded him. He simultaneously moved the ribbon above Twilight, and teleported into the air far above her. As he began to fall, he brought the ribbon down on top of Twilight in an impressive arcane assault.The magical energy de-stabilized as it hit Twilight, causing a powerful wave of concussive force that knocked Twilight back a good deal. Queenside magically broke his descent.
At this point, the two combatants were a significant distance from each other.Queenside smiled, and created a magical construct that resembled a european broadsword. Twilight formed a construct that resembled a rapier. Both ponies rushed at each other and their “swords” clashed, generating several sparks. A short sword fight then ensued. Each fighter used a style true to their weapon, Queenside with slower, heavier attacks, and Twilight with quick flurries. The two seemed very well matched for the majority of the time, but then Twilight managed to deliver a powerful piercing blow. Queenside’s sword dissipated, indicating that he was stunned. Twilight followed up with a devastating assault of rapid stabs. She then pulled her blade back. it began to glow with magical energy, indicating that Twilight was preparing to deliver a finishing blow. To aid in concentration, she closed her eyes. And this was her greatest mistake. She thrust her empowered blade forward, hearing the sound of a large energy release. She was briefly believed she had won the match, until she realized she never felt the tell-tale magical feedback of a hit. She opened her eyes and saw Queenside with a club-like construct rushing towards her.
She felt a mighty impact and she flew through the air as a result of the club attack. You see, Queenside wasn’t actually stunned that badly from her attack. He merely feigned his condition to get Twilight, then swiftly dodged the final attack by jumping back, then creating the club, catching Twilight by surprise. Then, in mid-air, something astonishing happened. Twilight began levitating. Levitating is very difficult for Unicorns, it takes large amounts of skill, power, and force of will. Needless to say, her friends (specifically the other elements) were more than a bit surprised. Effect Reaction knew what was about to happen, and simply said “Oh Dear.”
Twilight opened her eyes, but they were glowing a solid purple. Purple energy the same color as her horn aura, or perhaps slightly lighter, burst from her body. This had happened a few times in the past, the first time having catalysed Twilight’s cutie mark. That time, she had accidentally turned her father into a cactus. Now she had much more (though not complete)control. She focused the aura into a semi-cohesive beam, which was aimed at Queenside. Queenside quickly returned with an intimidating looking beam of his own. The two blasts met at the middle and, concurrent to arcane dynamics, rather than pass through each other as most energy would, they collided at the middle, Godzilla-style. And like matter, with extra force the meeting point can be pushed. With increased willpower and arcane power, the 2 unicorns pushed the place where both beams met, knowing that if they could get the focal point to the opposing duelist, that they would be the victor. While Queenside fought well, he simply could not compete with one of Twilight’s “partially controlled magical spasms”. She managed to push the focal point all the way to Queenside, at which point it generated a small shockwave, and Queenside conceded the match.
Rainbow Dash decided to provide her thoughts on the duel.
“That was AWESOME!”
A few minutes later, the spectators and the duelists met in a hallway.They heard a familiar voice from behind, Ditzy Doo’s. She is a valuable agent. Her lazy eye makes her subconsciously unassuming, and unlikely to raise suspicions. She’s also the official mailmare of Torchhoof in district 1, and when you’re a mailmare, you see a lot. Fluttershy was the first to turn towards her.
“Hi Derpy.” Ditzy “Derpy” Doo grinned.
“Hi Fluttershy. I have 5 letters here that I need to deliver.”
The current Torchhoof agents exchanged knowing smiles. They all remembered where they were and what they were doing when they received their invitations.

Hello Applejack/Fluttershy/Pinkie Pie/Rarity/Rainbow Dash,
You have been identified as a skilled and loyal citizen of Equestria. We are offering you an opportunity to serve your nation. It is dangerous, but there will be great reward. If you are interested, show this letter to the mare at the front desk. You will be informed exactly what this duty would be, and given the opportunity to attempt an entrance exam.
This letter is enchanted and will evaporate if you decide against this opportunity.

Every letter remained coherent, even Fluttershy’s.
“What do you say we get to that front desk?” Said Copper.

AUTHORS NOTE:
If somebody had told me three years ago that in only a couple of years that I would be writing a My Little Pony fanfic, I would have laughed in their face. Funny how things work out. Anyway, I've split What was planned to be chapter 2 into 2 chapters. Now, this is important. After chapter 3, this fic will have "episodes", some of the main cast of 11 characters, maybe with a guest character, having a stand-alone, self-contaned adventure. I may accept Ideas from my readers, If they're good. I will credit you, and I would really appreciate Ideas. So, If you have an idea, message me or comment. I may just do it!